Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

Dr. Phil continues his intervention with Julie and Danny, a couple who say they’re caught in a cycle of abuse. When Danny’s anger reaches a boiling point onstage, Dr. Phil expresses his concern for Julie’s safety: “If he would act this way here, in front of cameras and a studio audience, what is he like behind closed doors?” Can Julie stand up to Danny and end this destructive relationship once and for all? And, how will Danny react to her decision? Don’t miss the dramatic conclusion! Plus, join Dr. Phil’s campaign to End the Silence on Domestic Violence and sign up to become a Silence Breaker.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: sweetangel200u on Aug 27, 2013, 8:52AM
What is wrong with you people?  Have you researched domestic violence?  Read any books?  Do you know anyone personally who has suffered?  Have you been the victim?  Well, I can answer yes to all of the aforementioned questions.  You talk out of the side of your neck and its just plain wrong.  You are the ones that allow this stuff to continue.  You are part of the problem.

Replied By: sweetangel200u on Aug 27, 2013, 8:42AM - In reply to cweetxcape
Nobody ever goes into a relationship with the idea of someone abusing them. NOBODY!  I am a very strong woman but it happened to me.  At first it is shocking.  You are in total, utter disbelief.  It does not start out that way in most cases; at first the perpetrator is very nice.  Almost too nice.  Then when they have you, they turn on you like some thing out of a Jekyll and Hyde movie.  Don't judge until you have walked a mile in someone else's shoes!

Replied By: sweetangel200u on Aug 27, 2013, 8:37AM - In reply to grshamrock
You seriously think the way she was acting was contrived?  That guy was a sociopath.  I don't know about anyone else but if I wanted publicity, someone calling me a slut, whore, worthless or any other of the many names he called her on NATIONAL TV wouldn't be the way I would go about it.   If everyone thought as you do, no person would ever be free of domestic violence. I'm just saying...

Replied By: grshamrock on Jun 27, 2013, 8:19PM
This ladies behaviour seems either contrived or histrionic.  I think Danny has serious anger issues but to me,  she was play acting.  I have seen this before and she may very well have gotten him to the brink of snapping.  However, another option here is that they were working together and had a nice drama going on to gain some publicity.  Not convincing!

Replied By: babooshka2002 on Jun 10, 2013, 9:38AM - In reply to cweetxcape
...and I'm glad you accept that.

Think of it this way though - many people do just 'let' it happen, don't they? Domestic abuse is incredibly common - women are being beaten every day. Women are being killed every week by a current or former partner. It's so common and so terrible that Dr Phil has a specific campaign about it. So that's an awful lot of people just 'letting it happen', right? Given the number of people who end up caught in this trap, isn't it possible that it's not really a free choice that they make? I mean, are there MILLIONS of women who think "well hey, I could leave but I just love being continually beaten up, blotchy purple is just a fabulous look this season".

Clearly it's never happened to you and I'm very glad for that. I hope it's never happened to anyone you love and will never happen to anyone you love, because they'll not get any sympathy from you. But then, perhaps if it did happen to someone you know, you'd speak with them and you'd learn that it really isn't as simple as the way you're thinking of it.

Replied By: babooshka2002 on Jun 10, 2013, 9:24AM - In reply to flaquis82
You think she was playing it up, really? A large part of the time she was so petrified that she was trembling. You can't deliberately shake like that for a long period of time, it's difficult to do convincingly, not to mention exhausting.

I'm horrified. This is part of the reason why sufferers of domestic violence - or indeed any abuse - find it so hard to ask for help.

Replied By: celmom on May 31, 2013, 6:27PM - In reply to irishlass37
Well said. this should be read by everyone

Replied By: celmom on May 31, 2013, 6:14PM - In reply to cweetxcape
In his book, "The Gift of Fear" violence expert Gavin De Becker explains that when  she leaves .her abuser is also when a woman is most likely to be murdered.  Dr Phil (who had me smiling at his old school southern chivalry in the way he expressed his PERSONAL guarantee for her safety) gave her the protection and  secure setting she needed  to finally stand up to the obsessive man who was not only violent, but seemed to have a dull bulb in his lamp.  I understand your point, but blaming the victim isn't helpful. Once she was sure she was really safe, she did hold her head up.  When she told the brutal troglodyte what she really felt and thought of him, I wanted to jump off the couch and cheer.  And  give her a big hug

De Becker also thinks we need to teach young girls how to recognize the signs of potential violence, and that attempting to "let someone down easy"  is relinquishing some of her power. Our girls need to learn that jealousy and control isn't "love", but a desire to control. 

Replied By: cweetxcape on May 20, 2013, 10:29AM
I know this is going to sound insensitive, BUT I don't feel sorry for this women. Why would anyone let someone else (man or women) beat them down to this level of submissivness? The first time, OK maybe he was just having a bad day. The second time, I'm out of here! There are MILLIONS of single men that would never do this. Why in the heck would you stay with this ONE? If you stay after several times of this behavior...no, I don't feel sorry for you. Your allowing it, your saying, I'll take it. At this point, don't complain then, you chose it.

Replied By: abeisalive on May 10, 2013, 4:23PM
I thought Dr. Phil handled this situation as well as I've ever seen him do.  I have some serious disagreements with some of his philosophies towards certain subjects(he's a psychatrist, not a detective or a member of the moral police) but this episode was one of his best.

Danny clearly isn't the nicest guy on the block, and from all we saw of how he treated Julie can you imagine how he might be to work with or have to deal with on a daily basis?  God be with those who have to.

In as much I want to credit Julie for finally taking the first step in breaking that vicious cycle- how in the hell did she allow herself to get in that position?  Here's your answer- there were no boundaries established between those two and it all ended up on Dr. Phil's lap to figure out what to do moving forward.  I don't have a crystal ball to predict Julie's future but experiences has shown me that women whom survived an abusive relationship have a hard time accepting being treated well by future men and put up a wall the moment they're not sure of something. 

Name calling has no place in a relationship, any person willing to give it or take it aren't worth being with.  We all deserve respect and safety.

Showing 1-10 of total 322 Comments