Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

James and Dawn say after 18 years of marriage, they’ve recently separated, and their family has been in crisis ever since -- with their three children, ages 16 to 21, stuck in the middle of the chaos. Despite Dawn’s desire to save their marriage, James says he’s ready for a divorce. He admits to cheating on Dawn with four different women and says he may be in love with one of them. Why did he stray? And, is there any way he would consider saving their marriage? Dawn admits that she has dragged her kids into their relationship drama and even let them see messages from one of James’ mistresses. How does she explain her actions? And, James and Dawn confess that their fights have grown physically violent -- in front of their kids. With their children caught in the crossfire, can this couple repair the damage that’s been done and learn how to fix their fractured family? Plus, hear from the children -- why do they say they feel pressured to choose sides?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: donje52 on Apr 16, 2013, 9:29PM
I think his wife is right as far as him being a looser, and as far as him persuing another relationship

forget it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replied By: wildweezie on Apr 16, 2013, 2:25PM
"I was so upset that I packed up and went straight to my mothers"

Best. Line. Ever.

Replied By: vegasgal47 on Apr 16, 2013, 2:08PM
I couldn't stand watching Dawn.  I hope she watches the show over and over and sees how whimpy and mopy she looks.  She pouted with her head tilted and down like a child being reprimanded instead of looking Dr. Phil in the eye like an adult!

Both are very immature and honestly, I don't know why they would still want to be with each other.  I feel sorry for those poor kids having to deal with all of this.

These two are very poor examples to their children on being mature responsible adults.  Hopefully they don't grow up like them!

Replied By: tjhyler on Apr 16, 2013, 1:11AM
Ok, I get it! I know the family rules, don't make the children deal with adult issues... But oh my gosh...it is so overwhelming as an adult to deal with infidelity. When you have committed your life to a person, only to be betrayed in the ultimate way...it is hard to be rashional. It's hard to think straight, hard to run the household, hard to be the parent that you know your children deserve. Hard to co-parent effectively along side with a person that quite frankly you can't stand the sight of, but love with your whole heart at the same time.! When you are in the throws of dealing with infidelity, wow, I think accomplishing a shower most days is a win. Is that enough for the children, the answer is no. But, is it fair to call someone immature, when they are just getting through the best way they can in that moment. I don't know. They're human (and when I say they, I mean me, because I know first hand) Infidelity shakes a person to their core! It makes them question everything about themselves. It generates fear, hurt, sadness, waves of emotions.  Holding it together for the children is challenging. My children is what I clung to during my darkest day. I don't think it is possible for the children to not be aware of the problems going on, but I think reassurance and not forcing them to choose a side is incredibly important. I would hope that parents strive to keep things as peaceful and stable as possible for the children, but it should be understandable that they may not meet that standard sometimes. Is that bad? I don't think so, it is just life. It's hard sometimes and I don't think that's a bad thing for children to know. They just need to be reassured and not put in the middle. I never knew the level of my own "crazy" until I lost the man I love and the life I wanted and committed to. I'm in a much better place now, and I do wonder how my kids were effected, and I know that I had some shortcomings during that time. I just keep moving forward and strive to do better by them everyday. That's all any parent can do, recognize where you should do better and make it happen.

Replied By: sunshine70 on Apr 16, 2013, 12:12AM - In reply to davewriter
James and Dawn I don't understand - there two adults and adults should never bring children into their problems. I'm quite stunned in the fact that there asking these children to take sides.  James stated he's wanted out of this marriage for awile.  Then he stated that he doesn't like in the manner in which Dawn makes him feel like a loser.  Oh please! What she confronted him about his cheating.  I don't understand her either because he's cheated on her four times and she wants to salvage the marriage.  James sounds more like a teenager than an adult.  He's a horrible role model.  Adults are suppose to control themselves.  Regarding their parenting - they act more like children rather than adults!

Replied By: jearl01 on Apr 15, 2013, 7:17PM
I've only just began watching today's show, so I don't know the whole story yet, however regardless of that, I just want to say something I've observed...

Let's face it, Dr. Phil makes his - and his staffs' - living off of the lives of other people's misery (in most cases), so why does he get so angry at these people.  Is that the only way he can get his point across?  I know in most cases his insults are definitely called for - but the anger and the flare up of his temper seems to me to be inapropriate if he is trying to help them.   I mean - to me, many of these people are just plain stupid, but I am not a psychologist.  I thought a psychologist's job was to look through the stupidity and treat them as though they have a problem.

Also, when the parents are facing the camera, why does he pretend to want to protect the children by saying he won't show their faces on television?  For one thing, anyone who knows the parents are going to know the children.  The people who don't know them - well...what does it matter.  Also, in today's show, enough of their faces were shown that they would be recognizable anyway.

Well...I have just finished watching today's show and I have to question why the producers even agreed to take this on.  Why put those kids through that when it's obvious the marriage was over a long time ago.?  

I guess it makes for good television.

Replied By: aimrlyn on Apr 15, 2013, 3:48PM - In reply to upsydasy
I could NOT agree with you more. I have not seen the show in it's entirety yet, I have recorded. The kids should never have to be the "adult" in this situation. I am the product of divorce, my mom and dad divorced when I was 6, and my mom and step dad divorced when I was 25 I think. I begged her to leave both of them. I hated being asked  in front of my step dad "do you want your stepdad to leave?" I so wanted to say YES, but was too scared to as he was known to be violent and would lash out much later and usually when my mom was gone. I hate it when parents "emotionally molest" the kids. The mother needs therapy on so many levels as does the father.  I think parents use "I stayed for the kids" excuse for their own weakness and fear of being "single" way too much. Please don't the kids that favor! You can't get along? Move on, be adult and co parent but no need to expose those kids older or not, to that kind of venom.

Replied By: rbetancourt on Apr 15, 2013, 2:44PM
Parents have a duty to teach their children moral principles by example. One of the greatest life lessons that parents can teach their children is how a husband and wife should love and respect each other.

Replied By: amickle on Apr 15, 2013, 10:12AM - In reply to shatzie57
    Two wrongs never make a right. I am glad that their children are 16 and older and on their way to adulthood, I hope that they will not make the same bad choices in relationships. These children should npt take sides, no child should have to choose between their parent.

Replied By: amickle on Apr 15, 2013, 10:04AM
Cheating on your spouse is not forgivable, definatally when you have cheated with more than one women win.  Asking your child to choose is a wrong thing to do. The only possitive that I have seen in this is that your children are  16 and older so they may be able to cope with this family break down easiler.

Cheaters never,

Showing 1-10 of total 23 Comments