Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

(Original air date 04/10/13) Kim says her 22-year-old daughter, Kaitlyn's, persistent emotional meltdowns are causing chaos in the home -- and she is fed up. But could Kim be enabling her daughter’s behavior? Kaitlyn’s stepfather, Ross, says he believes his stepdaughter is acting out to get attention. What does Dr. Phil think? Kaitlyn’s stepsister, Lexanne, says she’s getting married in a few months and worries that Kaitlyn could disrupt her big day. How does Kaitlyn explain her emotional outbursts? Then, Alice says her 31-year-old daughter, Jenny, lies so frequently, it's hard to know when she’s telling the truth. Alice says Jenny has lied about a stalker breaking into her house, getting hit by a car -- and even faked being blind for six weeks. Now, she says Jenny is claiming to be crippled by a debilitating fear of dirt and germs. Is it all a ruse?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: iloveshars on Sep 3, 2013, 8:29AM
After watching this show twice, I am amazed what a great job Ross is doing in this situation. He and his daughter, who is to get married, are being so supportive of the other half of their family, Kim and Kaitlyn. I just wanna give him a hug, I hope the wedding goes well and Ross and Lexanne get treated better in the future. I would have loved to have a Dad like him when I was depressed or anxious or anytime. He seems so loving:)

Replied By: canadianlaurel on Aug 19, 2013, 5:39PM - In reply to critteress
What exactly do you mean?

Replied By: bentleym321 on Aug 15, 2013, 6:37PM
In response to fromthesquare, I so totally agree. How did Dr. Phil miss this? I was really disappointed. As a parent of a child with Aspergers, I felt like I was watching my own home videos. If you have a child with Aspergers or have studied it very much at all, you would know their meltdowns are uncontrollable and caused by many sensor and anxiety issues. Many Asperger children and adults are able to control their meltdowns in public which is what causes even a greater meltdown when they do get home in a relaxed environment. It's really tiring to hear so much criticism of how these children are "spoiled" when you have no idea what a day in their life is like. I pray that she gets a correct diagnosis and the family as a whole gets therapy. It is a long road. God Bless.

Replied By: loyalalways on Aug 10, 2013, 11:54PM - In reply to mazophile
Why do you think she's a narcissist? I didn't see that when I read her message. She was explaining her situation. A narcissist talks as though they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. They go on and on about how great they are, etc. They figure that everyone believes that they're SO special. There's too large a list  of symptoms to post here. Here are some symptoms of a naricissist:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder#Symptoms

Replied By: loyalalways on Aug 10, 2013, 11:37PM - In reply to jazzilee52
OMG, I feel bad for you. There has to be someone who will help you. I don't understand why the police told you that you can't throw your kids out on the street. Maybe they meant just the grandkids. Keep bugging CPS because these people are NOT providing for the needs of her children. See someone different from the one to whom you last spoke.

In the meantime, talk to a minister or a priest and see if they can help you find someone who can give you some advice. These children deserve to be cared for properly by their mother. However, it is not a good situation for the kids to be in a home with their mother's boyfriend. According to Dr. Phil, the incidence of abuse is a lot higher if mom is living with a boyfriend. I think it's 20% higher.

This guy is also on drugs and has a record. What did the police say about that? Sometimes you have to talk to the right person. Try talking to a different policeman. It's certainly worth a try. I know it's a pain to have to keep going to these places, but your grandchildren are worth it. You're a good grandma to care about them so much. I wish you so much luck!! Please keep us informed. I'd really like to know if the kids are OK.

Replied By: loyalalways on Aug 10, 2013, 3:00AM
I don't understand why Dr. Phil continually belittles the mother like that. She's trying to be a good mother and he's making her feel like she's ONLY doing it for herself and NOBODY else, like she doesn't give a damn about her daughter. I know he has a reason, so I wish he'd explain why he does that.

I just think it's time to stop blaming the mom all the time. Most mothers do their best. It's not fair to put them down for doing things that they think it's the best way to handle it. There's a nice way of getting a mother to change things without being condescending. The poor mother could say nothing right in his eyes. I just wish I knew why. It's a different story if the parent is abusive, though. That's definitely a time for the condescending remarks. This girl wants to control everything. She's 22 years old. She should know better how to behave. She wasn't raised in a box.The other kids in the home aren't like that. She blames everyone else for her problems. She makes herself look selfish.

OMG! The 2nd girl makes the first girl look like she has a minor anger problem. Good grief. Her germ phobia is another ridiculous attempt at attention. There is NO way that she's afraid of germs.

How can she expect anyone to believe her when she lies all the time?  I think she should go into acting. She could win an Oscar!! Her poor kids. She puts herself before her children. She's beyond a spoiled brat. How can she be serious and not want to hug her children?

She should have been arrested for wasting the time of the police. She is also old enough to know better than to expect all the attention on HER.

Only a psychologist can understand someone like that. To most of us, they get on our nerves. lol! Thank God she can't fool Dr. Phil. I'm really surprised that he didn't say anything to her about how she is treating her children. He doesn't tolerate that from other mothers. He belittled the first mother and she was genuinely believing she was doing what was best. Regardless if it was the wrong thing to do, she reaslly meant well.

The 2nd mother admittted that her son was her favorite. Under most circumstances, she would have deserved the condescending remarks more than the other mother. Not that I think she deserved condescending remarks, but, if someone should have been grilled (for lack of a better word), this mother was worse then the first mother, IMO, when she said that. However, I really don't think it's a matter of her favoring him over her daughter. I think it's that her son had a deadly disease and she wanted to do whatever she could for him because she knew his disease was going to kill him. That's probably why he didn't say too much to her.

I do love the way he handles most people, though, annoying as some shows can be sometimes. lol! They are few and far between, though. He, without a doubt, genuinely cares about his guests and goes above and beyond the call of duty for people. He and Robin work tirelessly to help others. I learn a lot from watching his shows.

Replied By: zeldazelda on Aug 10, 2013, 12:49AM
Is there a follow-up on this situation? Has the sister's wedding occurred? Perhaps its time for a Where Are They Now/ session ecept that would serve to give these egocentric people more air time. This girl is classic Munchhausen (sp?). (Not to be confused with Muchhausen's By Proxy. I actually have someone in the family who has a tail of woe almost daily. Negative attention seems to be better than no attention. I just watched an encore presentation of Disruptive Daughters. My reaction hasn't changed from  my first viewing last April. I think it may be difficult for professionals to use the word mean. Some people are just mean and the cause is irrelevant at this point. We have a special needs five year old boy in the family. It would be so very easy to mollify him at every turn but we do not....as hard as that is. He does not need to have yet another burden in life. This show is a wonderful "must" for others in the same situation. His tantrums are fewer than I would have expected but his mother does not validate his behavior. He is happier because the moment, without undue attention, is fleeting. This girl has little to cry about. Our little guy is OCD, speech delayed, has Tourettes (minor tics), has bladder and bowel control but won't use a bathroom other than his own. Even then, he repeated rises from the toilt to open the door and make sure Mom or Dad are there on the other side. All this (and more) not withstanding, he will grow up to be as self reliant, as socially integrated, as normally functioning as is possible. Do we always agree with everything from everyone? No. We have to weigh what we hear and assess the source because even professionals can be on the wrong track...not often but sometimes.  The thought that he could be a male version of this woman in fifteen years is abhorrent. We have more than a responsibility to this child. We have a responsibility to society, too. This woman makes a mockery of the struggles that we and others like us endure. That her mother has erred is without question but this is no longer a child about whom we are talking. This is a woman with some intellect, a woman who knows exactly what she is doing. A politicla leader with these traits would be called a tyrant. Thank goodness the days of "lop off her head" are long gone. Of course, I have little patience for this 22 YO woman because she knows exactly who she is and exactly what she does. The only thing she does not know is self respect.

Replied By: mazophile on Aug 9, 2013, 4:30PM - In reply to sterileteryl
If things are all about you, you need more mental help than you're getting. Google "Narcissistic Personality Disorder" and see if that doesn't help you. Good luck.

Replied By: sterileteryl on Aug 9, 2013, 4:03PM
   Dr. Phil, I know alot about emotional outbursts, I experience them my self. I have sought help by my medical Doctor, and put on anti depressants. I tried to seek help in the mental health world, But if it weren't for the observations of a new man in my life, I am afraid in my emotional outbursts, i may of taken my own life. I know it sounds silly, & thats why I am writing.....I feel for Katie, something as simple as food could change her life.
    I am not able to eat potatoes! within an hour or so, I am so depressed & distraught I loose control. I can be so emotional i want to leave my marriage, kill myself, quit my job, unable to do simple house work..whats the point! my life hasn't turned out to be how i dreamed. noone cares about me, my family is awful, ect.
   I have shared this with my medical Dr. & they don't know or really care to, in my opion......I no longer am taking anti depressants! I just watch my diet. I have other minor "melt downs"  low blood sugar, I have to eat. Fast food can be a trigger, mostly I eat at home, no preservatives, & stick close to a high protein diet. with no gluten.
   I always thought i had mental problems! people tease me for being soooo emotional, well, it took 50 years, but with the help of the love of my life..... my life is under control! Thanks for listening, I would like to share this with katie, the answer could be simple!        Love your concern for a better life

Replied By: duckydes on Aug 9, 2013, 3:41PM
Why even bring ths incredibly spoiled brat to the wedding at all, let alone as part of hte wedding party?  She's made it clear that she waats all of the attention, not the bride and groom.  Since she probaby cannot be trusted to be home alone, maybe they could hiire solmeone to stay wiht her, an incredibiy strong person used to dealing with insane people and duggies, maybe the transorters Dr. Phil uses to take peope to rehabe pkaces.   Heavy sedatioo is another idea.  You;d probably need a dctor to prescribe tat.  How aout Dr. Phil?

The girl who said she was bliind . faked seiizures, etc. , and now may be OCD is a puzzler.  s he definitrly needs psycolival help, and her ciddren probably do, too, poor kids..

Showing 1-10 of total 107 Comments