Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

War hero-turned-actor J. R. Martinez is known for his role on All My Children and winning the Mirrorball Trophy on Dancing with the Stars, but he says his road to fame wasn’t easy. In his new book, Full of Heart: My Story of Survival, Strength and Spirit, the Iraq war veteran recalls the day that changed his life forever -- when his Humvee drove over a roadside bomb, resulting in numerous injuries, including severe burns to his face and over 30 percent of his body -- and now, he opens up to Dr. Phil about the near-death accident. After 10 years and achieving fame, what challenges does he say he continues to face? And, what’s standing in the way of him marrying his girlfriend, Diana, the mother of his child? Then, Jasmine, who was shot in the leg in the 2012 Aurora, Colorado movie theater tragedy, talks to Dr. Phil exclusively. She shares what happened that day, and why she feels like a shell of her former self. Jasmine’s fiancé, Austin, who proposed two weeks after the shooting, says he thinks it’s time she move on -- does he grasp the severity of what happened to her? Hear J.R.’s important message for the couple. Plus, don’t miss a special performance by international superstar Andrea Bocelli and 16-time Grammy Award-winner David Foster!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: gem1234 on Apr 10, 2013, 5:11PM
Dear Jasmine, I am so sorry that  you have gone through such a terrible tragedy.  I can only imagine the pain and suffering both physically and mentally that you are suffering.  You are so mature in making your decision to not get married at this time.  Your fiance is very, very insensitive and selfish and doesn't have much empathy for what you have endured.  When you love someone you want to take care of them and wait on them hand and foot if that is what is required.  That is what love is all about.  When I heard him say that he would have a hard time choosing between you and his shotgun, I almost jumped through the TV!  Please don't rush into marriage, it just doesn't seem like this is the man for you.

Replied By: upsydasy on Apr 8, 2013, 8:03AM
If I had an accident which left me disfigured I’m sure that I would have trust issues too, especially if I suddenly became a celebrity afterwards.  However, the monster that J.R. describes seeing in the mirror immediately following his ordeal is not what the public sees today.  Like so many people who commented before, I found myself literally forgetting about the scars as I listened to him tell his story.  I’ll be 54 in just a few days (yikes!) and so I’m way past wanting to hit on younger men, but the quality that I found most appealing about J.R. is his undeniable charisma and that’s not something one can fabricate.  Either you got it or you don’t and J.R. radiates a certain je ne sais quoi that people are naturally drawn to.  The very fact that he’s making a living in an industry obsessed with artificial beauty and youth is testimony to that.  The only thing missing is his confidence in this rare quality of his.  I hope that one day he’s able to see himself through his daughter’s eyes and then maybe he’ll spot what everybody else does.

Replied By: KateBauer on Apr 7, 2013, 4:51PM
Jasmine you are too young to consider getting married and have a lot of healing to do.  I am so sorry you had to have such a terrible experience in your very young life.  Austin is certainly, way, way too immature to consider marrying at this time or anytime in the near future.  When he said he thought it was his right to own an assult weapon, I thought to myself, "Jasmine run for the hills".  He has no idea what you went through and are still going through.  I know you will overcome this and live a happy life, so remember unless Austin makes big and mature changes, ditch him.

Replied By: KateBauer on Apr 7, 2013, 4:46PM
Hi,  I am a 65 year old married woman.  However, if I were young again I certainly would date you.  You still have a beautiful smile, lips, teeth, and more importantly a great personality.  Give your girlfriend your trust, she really loves you (I believe) and you deserve to have a wonderful family and life.

Replied By: drsensai on Apr 7, 2013, 3:03AM
JR....I am truly sorry and I am thankful for your service to our country,. The injury you received is utterly disfiguring and was very life threatening. I do not in any way say the following in a mean or insulting manner.

I have also served during the first gulf war, I was there from 91-94. I have also suffered a severe enough injury that is not so presenting of itself as yours, Mine does not compare.. BUT!

JR, these days plastic surgery can do wonders, I have one of my very best friends who is one of the best Plastic Surgeons in the east coast. I think you now are tending to use this for sympathy, as an attention getter, You also use this as a "Copout" for an exxcuse. There is alot that surgery can do to repair reconstruct your scar tissue. Stop using this ugly duckling syndrone, you got all the points on DWTS some for just plain Sympathy, Enough is Enough, if you cannot move on then FIX it and not be so fixated on this.

To Quote Dr. Phil. If you have something in your life that is stopping you from living or something in your life that intereferes as greatly as this does....Then do something about it.....and STOP WHINING!

Replied By: imamosaic on Apr 6, 2013, 8:56PM
Love Me Tender sung by Andrea Bocelli ?  Now that is really nice!  sigh  I don't buy a lot of CD's any more but for him I've decided to make an exception.

Then I can hear him croon, "For my darling I love you, and I always will" blink, really, me?  I know.  I just want to believe. smile

Mosaic- just humming the notes

Replied By: smacg76 on Apr 6, 2013, 8:28PM
J.R., you seem like a genuinely good person.  I hope you will learn to trust people who are worthy of trust.  The reasons people did not approach you prior to your becoming a celebrity and do so now may be because (a) you have a different air about you now, and (b) because they now have a good ice breaker.  As an aside, you have rugged good looks.

Jasmine, I hope you will reconsider marrying your fiance.  I certainly hope you wait until you're feeling emotionally settled before you decide to marry him.

Replied By: tbonet on Apr 5, 2013, 8:39PM
I understand JR Martinez's feeling about do you want me for me or for the celebrity?   It is the same as when an overweight person loses weight and then suddenly the attention starts from people who never took a second look.  Diana is a beautiful woman and maybe his celebrity put them both in the same place because they were meant to meet.  A person who is rich, famous or too good looking is up against trust issues.  Because there are people who are attracted to what they can get out of the relationship.  A stepping stone or an easier  life.    I  have had only one true love in my life where I had no doubt that he was in it for us    You just know.   I just wonder if JR's self esteem was keeping people  away then  people staying away.   I find his story an inspiration of courage and heroism     He put so much at risk when he served in the war, if i would have survived all that he has survived, the rest of my life would seem like cruise.   He is a survivor.  I Vote Yes for Diana.  

And the second guest, I feel for her.  Such t a trajedy to experience.   If someone did not support me during my time of need, and was having fights with me, i would simply have to give them a big Adios.

And Andrea Borcelli, what a beautiful voice.   Had a boss in the past who used to play his CD's when he was operating on his patients. Time to Say Goodbye a favorite.    And Congratulations to David Foster, you deserve the recognition.   Awesome!!!.    

Replied By: quizative on Apr 5, 2013, 5:24PM
Mr. Martinez,

First let me say that I didn't watch soap but I have caught glipses of it and on  other talk shows.   I have always thought you were very handsome.   Not in a  traditional sense but  there is a confidence and a  sexiness about you.   Your scars are like part of who you are.   Your smile  and the warmth you generate are amazing.   I'm sure I am not the first person to tell you that.  

I hope I don't insult you or sound arrogant in anyway.  I can't even imagine what you have gone through so I feel most humble and to even offer a  suggestion. However,  sometimes the person that sees the whole forest can overlook the biggest oak tree.  

As you told your story something was glaringly obvious to me.   When looking through a fog of emotions you may not have seen it.    I DON't believe those people were using you or only wanted to be your friend because you were becoming famous.  I believe after you got hurt,  they didn't know what to say.  I think they cared about you very much and it probably hurt them that they couldnt help you.   They didn't know what to talk about...so they stayed away.  they may have been afraid to talk about the war or your experience and that was your whole world at that time...or so they thought.  
Then when you were on the shows...they had a new and happy moment to talk about.   It was a  safe place to go.   Those folks were probably just waiting to find something safe to talk to you again.  

I hope it helps.  Thank you for serving our country and all you do to help others.    God Bless you and your fiancee'.

Replied By: christinmoffit on Apr 5, 2013, 4:34PM - In reply to just_my_2cents
A really nice note to JR, but do not assume for one moment that veterans think a "thank you" is trite.  I orchestrated Veterans Day assemblies where I taught for many years. Over time they grew in "production" and numbers of veterans in attendance.  An 85 year old's wife (he was a WWII vet) told me her husband had been "thanked" twice in his life, for his service, and both times were by me as I chatted with the honorees before the program.  I was humbled to tears.  Over fifty years to be "thanked?"  It is NEVER too late and will NEVER, EVER be trite. That spoken gratitude might lead to a political confrontation is something one would expect to hear from a Viet Nam era mentality.  When I see a veteran proudly wearing a cap that denotes his squadron, vessel, regiment, etc. I ALWAYS put out my hand and that him/her for his/her service.  What is HAS lead to my hearing about their buddies, their experiences, their sorrows.

Showing 1-10 of total 52 Comments