Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

Frank says that 10 years ago, he was a respected high school basketball coach -- until a sex scandal involving a student landed him behind bars and on the sex offender registry. Frank maintains his innocence, but says he accepted a plea bargain and served 25 months in prison for second-degree sexual assault, second-degree threatening and interfering with an officer. Since his release in 2006, Frank says he’s worked hard to move on with his life -- including getting married and starting a family -- but he says his past keeps coming back to haunt him. Last year, Frank served additional time in prison for violating his parole conditions by coaching his stepson’s basketball team. And recently, when Frank learned a warrant was out for his arrest for an alleged probation violation, he went on the run. Now, he joins Dr. Phil, along with his wife, Donna, to tell “his side of the story.” Donna claims that the probation restrictions placed on her husband are “unlivable” and prevent him from being an attentive father. Is Frank the victim of a broken system -- or is he just making bad decisions? CNN legal analyst and anchor for ABC News Sunny Hostin weighs in.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: anonymous5733 on Jun 14, 2013, 7:02AM
What makes me angry when watching this is the fact that no one talks about the wrong this student did. This student was not an infant child, this student was old enough to know what she was doing. Who says she didnt flirt with him and who says she didnt kiss him back or even initiate what happened. This sort of thing happens all the time and usually the student incolved is not miss innocent.

Also I would like to say I completely agree with what Frank was saying in regards to being forced to do things by the law. I personally have experience in that field and I know 100% that the "law" will trick you into saying and doing things to get what they want.

Replied By: strine on Jun 12, 2013, 11:14PM
He admitted there that he kissed her "like a friend", he admitted he told her of his marital problems, why? Teachers do not kiss students "As friends" teachers do not tell students that they are not sleeping with their wife. He reminds me of an uncle of mine who put on a good show when confronted with what he did when no on e else was around. Was there evidence that he had suspended those three girls or did he make that up? I would have contacted the school before even having him on that stage.

Replied By: icoachtoo on Apr 12, 2013, 2:04PM
Wow, I just heard about this today from someone.  I knew Frank as a kid, growing up in Seymour, Ct...near Sochrin's pond on moss ave....a little blue collar middle class slice of america.

The entire family was always very involved in the community, father coached little league baseball and pop warner football, his mom was always helping out in baseball, pop warner, we played on the same pop warner teams, baseball teams etc, there were never any problems.

It's too bad what has happened since, I moved away years ago, but watching videos today of episode, I believe him....He crossed lines no doubt and paid the price, but it looks like he got caught up in the system and is paying dearly for it..it's too bad, sad to learn about this.

Replied By: smacg76 on Apr 6, 2013, 9:35PM
As Dr. Phil aptly put it, when you give the appearance of impropriety, you make yourself vulnerable.

Although it was good that Frank and his wife admitted that his behavior as a HS coach was wrong, I don't dismiss the admission as "case closed".  Frank's behavior as a HS coach was more than "inappropriate", it was damaging.  

I think he was a young man back then who felt like a pal with authority privileges.  The girls resented this.

The captain may have had mixed feelings -- special, yet trapped -- and walking a thin line to avoid her coach's wrath lest she be thrown off the team, kicked out of a sport that meant a lot to her and, perhaps, forfeiting a good line item for her college application.  The other team members likely resented her special treatment.  Nevertheless, I want to be clear that his immature and self-indulgent transgression does not make him open season for abuse, i.e., false allegations of sexual intimacy, if the allegations were, indeed, false, and may well have been.  

I sense a spin on the situation.  Frank refers to the captain as "the one player you depend on."  Dr. Phil aptly stated that he felt no inclination to kiss anyone on the teams he coached.  Would Frank kiss a male football player?  Frank coached the team for the team, not for himself; it's not about him.  

Without knowing more I'll say that it appears to be overkill that Frank is barred from all coaching, and that he needed a supervisor to watch a Yale game as a patron, if I heard correctly.  I don't think there's reason to believe that he is a threat to a male team. 

He said that he asked his parole officer if he could "help out" with his kids sports, but he didn't specify in what capacity, i.e., coaching.  Although it wasn't the parole officer's call, one might not know that.  However, they did see fit to put a request in writing to sanction coaching, which suggests that Frank had the sense that it was not the parole officer's call.  He said that he was at his child's game and then asked to coach in the coach's absence.  He put himself in the vulnerable position once again.  He should have declined.  Frank still seems to feel a bit entitled, digging a deeper hole.  I think it's a real shame.  I don't think he's a danger to society like the sordid sex preditors that the sex offender registry was created to alert the public. 

Replied By: mcfarley on Apr 2, 2013, 10:19AM
I watched this show completely horrified to think that a man who has obviously paid dearly for his previous misconduct with regard to students he taught 20 years ago is still made to suffer at the hand of a severely flawed judicial system. The laws regarding sexual misconduct and the register for sexual offenders has gotten so ridiculous it's laughable. I would like to think that those registered on the sex offenders list are actual criminals, not men, and women who might have had consensual relations with a perceived minor. When did it become uncommon or criminal for a twenty something to take an interest in an equally interested teen? 

It's criminal to think that these laws have been tailored to persecute people to appease vengeful children who are taught they have the power to control a situation by crying wolf. There are a number of stories related to bus drivers who have assaulted children while driving the bus, which begs the question - how is that even remotely possible? Even if the child were the last one off the bus, the bus driver still has a rigid schedule to keep. They aren't just driving willy nilly all over the country-side and stopping to do some sight seeing. I really wish something could be done about these laws and the registry so that the system is spending its resources on actively protecting communities against the real sex offenders - the heinous criminals. 

Replied By: mcfarley on Apr 2, 2013, 10:12AM - In reply to crystal221
I completely agree

Replied By: rosa52 on Apr 1, 2013, 2:22PM - In reply to napmikehol
AGREE!

Replied By: rosa52 on Apr 1, 2013, 2:19PM - In reply to crystal221
AGREE!

Replied By: rosa52 on Apr 1, 2013, 2:18PM - In reply to dianeshimmin
I too agree.  Our judicial system is very blind but not necessarily in a good way.  I believe him about his probation office because I know that PO do learn to trust their paroles and give them lots of lead way but, of course they would deny it to protect themselves.  I have seen it done.

Replied By: dianeshimmin on Mar 29, 2013, 1:33AM
I want a polygraph test given to the "victim" of this coach and for the results of that polygraph to be aired on Dr. Phil.  I believe the coach and I don't think he is a danger to society.

Showing 1-10 of total 200 Comments