Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

NBA rookie Royce White recently made headlines when he was suspended by the Houston Rockets for “refusing to provide services as required by his Uniform Player Contract," after he failed to report to his D-league assignment. Royce, who has an anxiety disorder and a fear of flying, says he wanted a mental health clause added to his contract -- and he wouldn’t play until that happened. Royce, who has since been reinstated, takes a two-day road trip to Los Angeles to sit down with Dr. Phil and provide a glimpse into his struggles. How does he feel about the way the team and the league have handled the challenges that his mental illness presents? And, what message does he have for his critics who say he shouldn’t have signed with the Rockets? Then, Jodi says her extreme fears of heights and flying and are taking over her life -- and cheating her 8-year-old daughter, Charlee, out of opportunities. Jodi admits that she’s turned down jobs that may require her to get on a plane, encourages her daughter to focus on local activities and dissuades her from following her dreams of joining a competitive dance group, because they travel. Watch as Jodi faces her two biggest fears: flying on an airplane and driving over a bridge. Can she learn to calm her anxiety and start living a life without fear? Plus, get an update on Caroline, who was so terrified of being harmed by intruders that she even showered with a handgun and stun gun. How is she doing now?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: ddeslatte on Apr 8, 2013, 9:28AM - In reply to copefear
I have the same phobia you are having.  I cannot drive over any bridges or high overpasses.
I will go way out of my way to find an alternate route that will keep me on the feeder roads. I am so sick of having this horrible panic and fear in my life.  It's going on nearly 5 years now.
I have put in call to Dr. Lawliss but have not received a reply back.  I am hoping my insurace might cover part of the expense, but not sure.
Have you had any luck finding anything that helps with this disorder ?

Replied By: salzburg on Mar 9, 2013, 7:43AM - In reply to sanjuangal
I feel terrible reading your story, I cannot wrap my mind around the fact, that there is no help for you, there must be. Please try somehow to get help.

Replied By: chope08 on Mar 3, 2013, 2:01PM - In reply to grammas2
No one chooses to have a mental illness, but you can choose to get help for it. With that said, Royce White is not only mentally ill, but he has a sense of entitlement that everyone should bow to him. He is narcisstic, and full of himself. He really did the mental health community a disservice by going on this show. Dr. Phil, why didn't you talk about the multiple theft incidents at Macy's stores in MN that caused White to be removed from the U of MN basketball team? He would hit up stores repeatedly, but security guards couldn't do anything about it because the guy is a beast (and the police idolized him, so why would they charge him with a crime!?!?) and then when a security officer does have the courage to stop this thief, he loses his job, EVEN THOUGH HE FOLLOWED PROTOCOL. Frankly, Royce White ruined the guy's life. I hope THAT haunts him. 

Royce White isn't the only professional athlete to suffer from "entitlement problems" either. Neal Broten, U.S. gold medal hockey player for the 1980 Olympics team was busted for shoplifting from a farming and hunting store in Hudson, WI back in the 2007-2008 time frame. These professional athletes are idolized, thinking they can do no wrong. It's bull.

And if you don't believe me, or want proof, contact the Roseville, MN police department about Royce White, or the Bloomington, MN police department. Contact the Hudson, WI police department about Broten. It's all public information - shoplifting / retail theft isn't "sealed" information.

Replied By: sanjuangal on Mar 1, 2013, 12:23PM
By the way,,,,,,,,,,,I live in the Rio Grande Valley and the Vipers is our local team!!  GO VIPERS!!

Replied By: sanjuangal on Mar 1, 2013, 12:20PM
I think for a HUGE portion of my life I had undiagnosed GAD.  I have been anxious and depressed since as far back as I can remember.  I just shrugged off the "anxiety" and never did anything until after my son was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and my youngest daughter had a meltdown at college and I got her treatment.  Being adopted, I have no family history so sadly that was our starting point.  When I saw how well my daughter responded to Prozac I finally sought help and for years and years I was OK but I also worked and ran 5 miles a day so I was in a better place.  I am now 68....and about 4 years ago I moved back into my home and that's when the anxiety kicked into high gear.  I had seen a sweet psychologist of diagnosed me as having GAD.  Well I had a flood in my home about 1 1/2 years ago and the foundation in my home started to crack and EVERYTHING just fell apart for me.  As soon as my eyes open in the morning the anxiety washes over me and my brain starts going!  I have gone to sleep with Dr. Lawliss's Mind Body Series tapes for 10 years and at first they worked well, but now I can't shut my brain off or the anxiety long enough to listen to the tapes.  I wake up crying a lot of the time.  I sought out help from a Psych. who put me on a plethora of drugs to which I had unpleasant reactions and he told me the reactions were all in my HEAD!!  No kidding.....never went back.  Finally I found a Dr. to prescribe Xanax which I shouldn't be taking as I am a recovering alcoholic, but I didn't tell him that deliberately because I desperately wanted some relief.  I don't like the Xanax but it does calm me down.  I can say as I am a recovering alcoholic, I get why people self medicate.  I would NOT wish this on ANYONE.  I live alone, estranged from my family because they see me as this "needy" whiny person...they have no compassion and my greatest fear is that one of my 12 grandchildren will fall prey to some of the "demons" as I call them and then my daughters will find their compassion :(  Over the years I have begged Dr.'s to do a brain scan - I am not a stupid woman, but rather intelligent, but no one would listen to me.  I now hardly ever leave my house...the battle to do so is usually won by my anxieties and I stay put.  I sit and look at my life and wonder where it went.  I go to bed every night planning my death in my head...last night I even penned by obituary in my head.  Dramatic I know but I have given up on getting any relief.  Too old and guess I am just not worth the bother.  It is a horrible, horrible way to live - well it isn't even living but merely existing.  My family all live far away because I moved from NJ to TX 12 years ago so I am glad I have no one to "bring down" with me.  You have to walk a mile in someone's shoes before you can truly understand and I so get the people on today's show.  I wish I didn't.

Replied By: jkristina12 on Mar 1, 2013, 11:58AM
Although I enjoyed the show and recorded it I did expect more. The focus from the commercials was flying and Dr. Phil and his staff didn't really cover it. Also we expected the Basketball player to speak on his anxiety and he was more of an advocate for mental illness which was fine but I kind of feel like he didn't have enough time to discuss his anxiety disorder. 

Just left a lot of questions...

The program for Dr. Lawless is in the Thousands and I think is in Texas. (If I had the money I sure would go)!! 

Replied By: jkristina12 on Mar 1, 2013, 11:45AM - In reply to olvictory
It sounds like you are going through a bout of depression. They say divorce is the one thing that triggers depression. Until you see a doctor try to focus on the postives and try not to predict the future. Who knows you might start to feel better in a week. Just take it day by day and make yourself take baby steps. Like tomorrow, shower get dressed and walk outside. The next day walk a little further. You can do it!

Replied By: drivenbyrage on Mar 1, 2013, 8:05AM
I didn’t see this Dr. Phil episode, but I have read a lot about Royce White and I did see him on HBO’s Real Sports with Bryant Gumble. I feel for this kid because I know all too well just how difficult it is to manage panic attacks and then try not getting any when you need to work. After having been molested and raped throughout many years of my childhood, I started talking about my abuse a little over four years ago. I was diagnosed with PTSD, an anxiety disorder, and a panic disorder. During the worst of times, I was suffering from 100-150 panic attacks per week. I took Klonopin and anti-depressants, but rarely did that ever help. Even though Klonopin can prevent panic attacks or help recover from them quicker, when I feel myself going into a panic attack or I’m right in the middle of one, I don’t have the mindset, not even the physical or psychological ability to take a pill. I usually experience all of the symptoms of a heart attack, and then add truly horrible memories and flashbacks on top of that panic and it’s so much worse. I have been able to get some control over the panic while working with my therapist for over four years on CBT and EMDR therapies. I still suffer from around 30 or so panic attacks every week, but they aren’t as intense as they used to be, minus one or two really horrible episodes here and there, and I think I have been able to come along so well because I started opening up to my therapist more and more about the abuse I went through as a child. When I started talking about my fears when I was a boy, and the fears I have now, I felt some weight being lifted from my shoulders and my mind.

Unfortunately, I have had the embarrassing experience of panic attacks while working and I had to deal with my coworkers seeing me, a 36-year-old man, sit at his desk or fall to the floor crying my eyes out, holding my chest, gasping for air, and sweating profusely. Sometimes, or most of the time anyway, I feel like my abusers are in the same room with me and they are reaching out for me and saying my name over and over, and I just feel like the abuse is going to happen all over again. I’m frozen in place and I can’t move my body at all. Sometimes my panic attacks last for 3 minutes and sometimes they last for ½ hour. Some days I’ll have 2 or 3 panic attacks throughout the day, and the next day I’ll have 30 panic attacks, one after another. It’s absolutely debilitating and exhausting, and the last thing I feel like doing when I make my way out of the attacks is going back to work. I’ve had panic attacks even driving and that is a very scary situation. I stopped driving for about a year when my attacks were really bad. Usually if I had several panic attacks during the day, I would have many nightmares or a night terror later on when I went to bed. (Night terrors aren’t much fun either, though I almost never remember them, but if you sleep next to someone every night, they definitely remember it.)

I can absolutely understand why Royce White can’t fly to road games, or do so many things that his teammates take for granted as just routine and normal activities. I know for me that panic creates a very real fear inside me and I certainly wouldn’t want to be doing anything that could cause my panic to intensify. It’s such a shame, because this kid has so much talent, he’s one of a select few who are good enough in the sport to play professionally and is paid very well for it. I’m sure he also loves playing basketball, and I had to quit certain activities when my panic attacks were very serious and frequent too. I hope he, and whichever professional mental health experts he visits can figure out a method that helps him and gets him back on the court doing what he loves.

Peace out!
Driven By Rage

Replied By: marnie100 on Mar 1, 2013, 7:34AM - In reply to fenwaypark9
I had luck with a therapsist who taught me self-hypnosis and desensitization techniques. I invented my own self-exposure techniques after being homebound for two years. A walk to the mailbox then buying one item at a store that was close, facing tiny challenges for years. I was married to a real man not a boy and that saved my life. Although we may smile and laugh in public suicide was always a possibility. There is help now for those of us who become exhausted with challenges. My vow is to leave this earth naturally, that way anxiety will not define my life nor contol its ending.

Replied By: wildweezie on Mar 1, 2013, 7:13AM - In reply to lovingone
Reading your comment sounds like you are suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).  Your flying phobia is a coping mechanism - it is not a life enhancing one.   I can see from your comment that you've found a way to rationalize it like it's a good thing. But it is not a good thing.  It limits your life.  If you were in fact rationally looking at this question, you would never get in a car as road accidents are much more prevalent than airplanes.  Your phobia doesn't really protect you from a flying accident (one could still fall out of the sky and "get you"), but it does protect you from an emotional perspective allowing you to cope.  Again - it is not rational but rather a coping mechanism that is not to your advantage.  Help is available and you can get better. If you want to that is.

Showing 1-10 of total 86 Comments