2013 Shows

NBA rookie Royce White recently made headlines when he was suspended by the Houston Rockets for “refusing to provide services as required by his Uniform Player Contract," after he failed to report to his D-league assignment. Royce, who has an anxiety disorder and a fear of flying, says he wanted a mental health clause added to his contract -- and he wouldn’t play until that happened. Royce, who has since been reinstated, takes a two-day road trip to Los Angeles to sit down with Dr. Phil and provide a glimpse into his struggles. How does he feel about the way the team and the league have handled the challenges that his mental illness presents? And, what message does he have for his critics who say he shouldn’t have signed with the Rockets? Then, Jodi says her extreme fears of heights and flying and are taking over her life -- and cheating her 8-year-old daughter, Charlee, out of opportunities. Jodi admits that she’s turned down jobs that may require her to get on a plane, encourages her daughter to focus on local activities and dissuades her from following her dreams of joining a competitive dance group, because they travel. Watch as Jodi faces her two biggest fears: flying on an airplane and driving over a bridge. Can she learn to calm her anxiety and start living a life without fear? Plus, get an update on Caroline, who was so terrified of being harmed by intruders that she even showered with a handgun and stun gun. How is she doing now?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: sirbeek63 on Feb 28, 2013, 8:21AM
I had this fear ,I knew it was just my mind playing tricks on me but at the time its real,I was perscribed cymbalta 60 mg,once a day and it has totally gone away,I look back now and cant believe how bad I felt,and how totally irrational my thinking was.ImNot saying that cymbalta isyour answer but it sure worked for me.

People with this way of thinking can only do what the mind will allow them too,it totally sucks and when your in these panic attacks you cant help yourself,at the time they are your reallity.So be patient with your loved ones to them this is very very real!

Replied By: cupcake1613 on Feb 28, 2013, 8:09AM
I have been a sufferer of severe anxiety and agoraphobia going on 6 years now. I have not been able to leave my 1 bdrm apt in 4 years. I am dying to know how to get help. Agoraphobia is a very common, yet still somewhat unknown subject, and it's also very misunderstood. I am wondering what cd that Dr. Lawless gave the first woman to listen to, and what exactly was the device her gave her. I couldn't hear it very well, then the Pope news came on. I'm hoping they say at the end of the online episode. I am desperate for any type of help. Dr.Phil has not responded to my efforts to talk to him, and my online support groups only go so far. Hearing others' stories is great for the relation part of it, but those who no longer suffer, HOW DID YOU DO IT? Thank you to all who have posted, and who may post in response to me. good luck to everyone in the struggle.

Replied By: barbudd1 on Feb 28, 2013, 7:43AM
FIRST AND FOREMOST-DYLAN REDWINE-DID THEY EVER CHECK FOR BLOOD SPLATTERS? AND WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON HE TALKED TO @9:30PM THE NIGHT BEFORE HE WENT MISSING..IT IS VERY  "ODD" AND I QUOTE" ODD"-THAT A TEENAGER WOULD STOP TEXTING AT THAT TIME BECAUSE I KNOW. I HAVE 3 KIDS AND NIECES AND NEPHEWS THAT ARE TEENAGERS AND THEY ARE UP TEXTING AS LATE AS POSSIBLE- FOR HIM TO  STOP TEXTING AT THAT TIME-SOMETHING MUST HAVE HAPPENED. HE MUST OF HAD A FIGHT WITH HIS FATHER AND MAYBE BY MISTAKE-HE GOT HURT...FOR MARK  NOT TO CALL THE MOM AND TELL HER THAT HER SON IS MISSING  IS "UNACCEPTABLE"...AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST-HE NEVER SHED A TEAR ON THE TV...IF THAT WAS ME OR MY HUSBAND-I DONOT THINK WE COULD STOP CRYING...

Replied By: beth77 on Feb 28, 2013, 6:56AM
I too had an anxiety disorder. I could not step off of my porch and walk to the post office in our small town. I would try to bribe my children to walk with me. I had agoraphobia. We would go on vacations and I would start crying and seeing the world through tunnel vision. If my husband could get me to take a Xanax, then I would sleep and reset my body clock to get through dinners, vacations and life. My doctor recognized my problem and said I needed therapy to help me through. My therapist helped me deal with the core issue that caused the panic and the healing was beginning. I had panic attacks for 12 years! I couldn't drive, couldn't eat and was draining my whole family. Taking a depression class twice at church helped me overcome the panic and anxiety. We moved from Indiana to North Carolina. I have left everything that was familiar to me. I no longer suffer from the panic anxiety episodes. My daughter was having twins on October 1. I DROVE to Indiana by myself to prove that I was truly healed. I went through tunnels, toll booths and mountains. It was a 13 hour drive. I stopped the first night and stayed in a hotel, by myself, in Kentucky. I could fly but money for a plane ticket and a rental car would be too much right now after the move. I have flown since being healed. We flew to Orlando and I had a small anxiety episode when we were sitting on the plane waiting to come home. It takes time, patience and understanding to overcome but it can be done. Many of my friends and family are shaing my story with others who suffer and say it can be overcome. Keep trying and you can do it!

Replied By: no1mrslbb on Feb 28, 2013, 6:47AM
I have written to Dr. Phil numerous times about this subject.  My son has panic and anxiety attacks.  He has not been about to work in over 3 yrs.  My son's problem with anxiety makes these peoples stories sound like child's play.  My Son's anxiety is even more debilitating than what it is for the people on the show today.  Dr. Phil never contact us to be on the show.  I have begged and begged Dr. Phil for help for my son with this problem.  And we have been ignored.  My son is 32, married and has a 3 yr old son.  If he wants to do a real show about anxiety he should talk to my son.  All my son's doctor does is throw pills at my son and nothing has worked.  You name the drug and I bet you my son has taken it.  Now not only does he battle the anxiety but he also is developing the phobia where he can't leave the house (or right now I should say he has small panic attacks when he has to leave the house).   I really wish Dr. Phil could help my son.

Replied By: msannomalley on Feb 27, 2013, 1:48PM - In reply to grammas2
Excuse me, but who are you to question his choice of career? Because he's mentally ill excludes him from following his dream?  That's a load of BS. Judgments like yours create victims out of people who don't want to be a victim. Maybe he didn't take that into consideration because he didn't want people to know he was afraid of flying.

Unless you have an anxiety disorder or a panic disorder, you have NO idea what this man is going through.

The WORST thing for people with a mental illness or an anxiety disorder is to feel helpless or worthless because that just feeds the anxiety.

I know this. I have GAD and a phobia. I have a ponophobia, which is a fear of being overworked to the point of exhaustion. I got this phobia because after being worked to the point of exhaustion at a former job it triggered my anxiety and my panic attacks.

I refuse to let this define me. I would rather focus on what I can do rather than listen to other tell me what I can't do.

Judgements like yours just add to the stigma of mental illness. I applaud Royce for not only speaking out about his anxiety disorder but for not letting it get in the way of following his dream.

Replied By: jkristina12 on Feb 26, 2013, 10:08AM - In reply to grammas2
Anxiety disorders are not uncommon. I actually know many people who have a fear of flying including myself, Its one of the number 1 fears people have. The good thing is anxiety disorders can be treated by actually facing your fear. To suggest someone find another career is suggesting he or she run from fear which is a negative response which can lead to depression and even more fear. Watch the show, I know Dr. Phil will confirm some of my statements. 

Replied By: grammas2 on Feb 24, 2013, 9:25AM
Why would a guy pursue a career where flying was a prerequisite if he could not get on a plane?  That's like a claustraphobic signing on as a miner.  He must not have disclosed his fear of flying when he signed on by the Houston Rockets, otherwise maybe this is the fault of the people who signed him to a contract he couldn't fulfil.  Get another career Royce.  It's kind of difficult to drive all over the country to be on time for tip-offs.

Showing 71-78 of total 78 Comments