Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

(Original Air Date: 02/25/13) Terri says she trusted and thought she knew her 15-year-old daughter, Sierra -- who she believed was a popular teen, earning good grades -- until Sierra disappeared and was discovered by police, days later, after witnessing a murder. Terri says she then learned that Sierra had been living a very different life -- experimenting with drugs, meeting men online and having sexual relationships with them -- many of whom were twice her age. Despite Sierra's alleged traumatic experience, Terri says her daughter continues to travel down a troubled path. Can Dr. Phil get to the root of Sierra's behavior? What warning signs did Terri miss? And, how might she be enabling her daughter? If you’re a parent, you can’t afford to miss this powerful show! This program contains strong sexual content. Viewer discretion advised.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: jenamarie686 on Jun 30, 2014, 9:58AM
I don't get it!! I don't want to call anyone a liar but come on!!

Replied By: upsydasy on May 30, 2013, 5:24AM - In reply to ashidler
Well, all I can say is that my heart goes out to you.  I read your post yesterday and it has been on my mind ever since.  It must be unbearable to do everything you can for your child only to have all of your efforts undermined by a so-called expert who’s more interested in becoming “their friend” instead of being a legitimate motivator and role model.  What is wrong with these people?  Honestly, there should be a governing body of administrators that have the power to yank licenses to practice in the field of psychology.  I was seeing a therapist who had a master’s degree in education but who also practiced psychoanalysis.  It took me several months and thousands of dollars to realize that she was at best ineffective.  Yet, at least I was an adult and had enough common sense to stop seeing her before she did any real damage.  I truly hope you and your son find the help that you need in order to get through this somehow.  Good luck.

Replied By: ashidler on May 29, 2013, 9:26AM
I can understand how difficult it can be when you have a teenager you are trying to do the right thing for.  When the mother stated a counselor working with her daughter gave her advice that was not good advice at all I was not at all surprised unfortunately.  I had found there are a lot of clueless people in a professional position steering teenagers wrong.  I had the same thing happen with someone that works with troubled teens telling my son and others involved with him that as his mother I "can not tell him who he can and cannot hang out with", even though at the time I knew the person my 16 yr old son was hanging out with was involved in drugs.  After he was arrested for drug possession while with this person, they still insisted this person "was his friend and he needed to help him".  She also told him although she agrees marijuana should be legalized it is not.  I do not think it send the right message to a teenager letting him believe the only thing wrong with it is that it is illegal.  It is very frustrating when as a parent you are trying to do anything you can to help your child and there are people in a professional manner making the situation worse.  I am sure there are many professionals that are doing a great job for teenagers, but unfortunately there are others that are not.

Replied By: upsydasy on May 29, 2013, 6:11AM - In reply to nasale
There is no doubt in my mind that Sierra fabricated the story herself about Polyamory and accused her therapist of suggesting it hoping to manipulate her mother, as she’s done so many times in the past.  She surfs the internet constantly and considering her favorite pastime of meeting men online, she could have easily discovered it on her own.  Clearly the kid is a liar and shouldn’t be relied upon to suddenly tell the truth just because she’s in therapy.  Although I understand the need for discretion between a therapist and a client, there must also be a way for a parent to confirm what the child says happened during their sessions, especially if it sounds dangerous.  As a parent, I would have literally hit the roof at the very suggestion of Polyamory to a 15 year old with a history like Sierra’s by her therapist and if I didn’t like the answer, changes would be made immediately!    That’s called being proactive and not passive and so gullible that it borders on negligence, which is exactly why Dr. Phil mentioned his book.  It is a very straightforward teaching tool that describes the dangers of giving the benefit of the doubt to anyone - especially a child who displays the tendency to fib more often than not in order to get her way.  The very fact that Terri still allows Sierra to use a cell phone with internet access is extremely foolish and proves that Sierra is given far too much autonomy and continutes to dictate the rules in that household, not her parents.

Replied By: havetocomment on May 28, 2013, 7:13PM - In reply to vickigene
Agreed!  I think one ad at beginning or end of show would suffice.  He doesn't have to talk about it in every episode!  Every time he mentions it, oh, and his son who published it, I just want to say.....well, I won't say it.  ha ha

Replied By: vickigene on May 28, 2013, 5:11PM - In reply to cbrasseaux
BRAVO for your comment about the book.  I'm sure being on the best seller list will make Jay and Phil even wealthier -- just hope they know how to give it away.  I think Dr. Phil is very philonthropic, and I assume Jay will, but if I decide to read th book, we have a local library.  I don't have to own it unless I need it for reference material.

Replied By: vickigene on May 28, 2013, 4:52PM
There for but the grace of God go I.

Back in the mid-50s, if I had had access to the Internet, I might have been tempted to do exactly what this child did.  However, I probably wouldn't have been able to fool my mom.  She could read my face like an open book.  Thank goodness my mom knew me so well!

Replied By: indiego on May 28, 2013, 4:35PM
Whose had more life experiences- the parent or the baby?  do parents have to be told to not touch a hot stove, or to not run into the street? well, parenting goes on well into our adult years. It doesn't automatically stop at some magic age. I have friends who are parents & when their own kids were young, my friends confided in their parents to find out how to handle the way one of the grandkids was acting. It is  a big mistake in our society to want to blame children for not having brakes or common sense. It is a big mistake to blame children for acting in ways that they mistakenly think is a way to create self respect. If kids knew the answers they wouldn't need parents.  Yep- Dr. Phil properly puts the focus on the lack of parenting.

Replied By: indiego on May 28, 2013, 4:18PM
When I was around 20 years old I made the decision that I was never going to marry and never going to have children because I learned what sex abuse was. as a child I grew up in an unhappy, alcoholic household with a disabled mother (rhuematoid arthritis) who was very critical of others. She sent me to the bar to drive my dad home. I was 10 years old. Then, as a teen, I went to the places (bars) where he met other women. Again, my job was to take care of him & run interference between him and other women. When I was molested it made me feel special. Dr. Phil is right on when he said something about how it's too painfull to acknowledge so parents look the other way. I am now 62 years old. I never married. I never had children. I have many close guy friends and women friends. And I thank god that I never had any children because I am completely convinced that I would have been a rotten, abusive, alcoholic mother with absolutely no parenting skills.

My heart goes out to both the mother & her daughter, Sierra, and I thank god that I did not recreate the life I grew up with.

Replied By: jjsonne on May 28, 2013, 4:16PM
She is a child -- why is her face shown to us?  I haven't gotten to the end of the show yet -- but I just don't get that part.  I can't believe you not only allowed that to happen, but 'did it'.  I'm certain you'll have solutions at the end of the show, but she will never be able to go back to her school and finish there.  

Teri deserves a little understanding.  I know it's a diferent world, but til our kids give us reason to doubt them -- if we take the other route and check up on their every move, they'll 'hate' us for those reasons and claim we thik they can't be trusted. 

I'm just glad I'm 64 and my kids now have a kid of their own.

Hope this one worked out; realize it was shown earlier.

Showing 1-10 of total 110 Comments