Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

Heroin use among America's youth is no longer just a big city problem; it's plaguing some of the most prestigious and safest suburban towns in the country. Dr. Phil sheds light on Simi Valley, California -- a community once known as the safest city in America -- where residents are now fighting a heroin epidemic that they say is crippling the town’s youth. Dr. Phil talks to teens and meets with Mayor Bob Huber to discuss his community plan. How can this drug problem be stopped? Then, Simi Valley families with heroin-addicted sons reach out to Dr. Phil for help. Greg and Mary say their 20-year-old son, Nik, has been using drugs since he was 13 and is so out control, he's been kicked out of seven schools, arrested more than 30 times and even labeled a “terrorist” by the Department of Homeland Security. Now living on the streets, Nik says heroin has taken over his life, and he knows that his future is either jail, death -- or Dr. Phil. Then, Linda and Richard admit they buried their heads in the sand when they first saw signs of their 24-year-old son, Steven’s, drug use, but they say they still can’t stop enabling him. Are they ready to toughen up to give their son a chance at a healthy future? Then, Monet was a promising young talent before she says she turned to drugs to deal with the death of her father. Ten months have passed since she accepted Dr. Phil’s offer of help. How is she now?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: timmcnod on Feb 22, 2013, 11:21AM
Does ayone know where I can watch todays show online on the Heroin epidemic. I don't own a tv. Just a laptop.

Replied By: billypat1997 on Feb 22, 2013, 8:24AM
I just so happened to watch both shows about internet dating scams, when I met a man claiming his name was John on a site.  As soon as I accepted him on the site, he asked me to met him on yahoo.  Once I did, he informed me that he took his profile off the site because he wanted just to chat with me.  Ok, that was fine.  Immediately, he started calling me sweetie and was saying how we are going to be together.  There were bells and whistle going off in my head from the beginning.    First, he knew that I had a kid, so he had a kid as well.  He told me that he was from California and moved to London when he was 6.  He claimed his dad died in a car crash when he was 6 and his wife died in a car crash when his daughter was 9 months old.  Fishy!  He told me the only relative that he had was his Mom who lived in London still.  He told me that he had moved to Manhatten 4 months ago to start a new life.  His typing was not normal for someone who is from England and speaks English, and I questioned him about it.  He didn't have any reason for it except that is how he typed.  I asked him for his phone number so I could call him and he said his phone was broken.  He did call me, but there was a lot of static and I couldn't hear him.  Then I asked him for his cell number and oddly the only thing he could do was text on his phone, it was broken as well.  He claimed his daughter broke both phones.  We talked about meeting each other and things like that.  Always, he missed me and couldn't wait to visit me.  Always making sure to ask about my son.  Then after a couple of days of chatting, the bad new came, his mom was diagnosed with colon cancer and he had to fly to London to take care of her.  Once in "London" he messaged me telling me that he made it safely.  I asked him if he could call me so we could talk, and once again, his moms phone was also broken.  So, I questioned him again on his validity.  He told me he was going to a neighbors to call me and in 2 seconds my phone rang, it was him.  He told me that he could only talk briefly so we only talked for about a minute.  In that minute, I knew he wasn't right.  He did not have a British accent at all.  So I questioned him about it and he said that is just the way I talk.  So days go on, we chat online and a few times we talked, he fixed his mothers phone, but oddly he could hear me, but I could barely hear him.  Then yesterday, he says that then went to see the doctor and his mom needs surgery, however, the doctor needed half payment up front which was about $10,000.  He said he called his bank and someone hacked it and he had to fly back to the states to get more money, he only had $7,000.00.  I basically said, wow that sucks what are you gonna do.  He said his mom needed the surgery right away because she is in great pains and she didn't have the time to wait 7 business days.  Again I asked what are you gonna do, that is when it went down.  He asked me to lend him $3,000 for his moms surgery.  Of course I told him no, but even though I knew something was fishy, it hurt a little that this guy was not who he said he was.  He had me so believing that there could be a future for us.  That he would come to my town to live so we could be together, yadda, yadda yadda.  So thanks to Dr Phil and this show and thanks to my Mom and Dad who gave me a brain, this guy did not get a dime from me.  So people beware, they are slick, they will know exactly what your sympathies are, they will know how to get to you and they will tell you what you want to hear before asking for money.

Replied By: recovery72 on Feb 22, 2013, 6:59AM
GIVE 'EM HELL MAYOR!!!!!!

Replied By: recovery72 on Feb 22, 2013, 6:55AM
Hello Dr. Phil,  I am an addict in recovery.  I've experienced the pain of a self-destructive behavior that cost me the family I longed for all my life, the one I love and distanced me from reality.  Despite knowing that this behavior and its cunning ways I'm glad to inform the statistics on Methamphetamine Addicts recovery has become a way of life for me.  I now am watching this show and when the needles are shown i still have a rush within me although it has been quite a while since last used(terms to deal with and not sugar coat).  The reality is my recovery is as, if not more,  personalization of meth, important thing life.  This had to be found within myself and through all the pain and pursuit I am Hopeful to stay within the 7% of meth users to stay inside the blessings of Recovery.  To all who pursue a better way let me warn you:   expect pain that you have yet to experience but with persistance and preserverance will pay back more than you can imagine!!!!

Replied By: rosereddeb on Feb 22, 2013, 6:17AM
When I heard the voice of the man that she was talking too, I knew immediately that this was the same man that I spoke with on several different occasions ! He used the name of Andy Godwin, and he lived or supposedly lived in California up near San Francisco, he told me he worked for Exxon Oil, and his daughter was away in Boarding School in the United Kingdom. His wife passed away many years ago in a car accident, but I also found out after talking to other woman that he spoke with, he gave everyone a different story about what happened to his wife, from being divorced, to her dying of cancer, suicide, and drugs he gave everyone a different story ! Our conversations went on for about 3 weeks via emails and phone calls and yahoo IM. SInce it was close to Christmas he said that him and his daughter were going to come and visit me where I lived. When I did not answer his emails he was bombing my mail box and my phone with messages, caling every few seconds. He too told me everything I wanted to hear, his words were so perfect that after reading his letters over and over again, i did figure out they were excerpts from books ! He called me baby all the time, and told me he loved me, after a while I knew he was whacked out ! He manged to hack into my FB account and he started sending friends requests to my female friends, I had to keep changing my password, cause I knew what he was doing ! He gave me access into his yahoo email account after I started doubting what he was telling me, this is how I found out that he was asking other woman for money. There was this one woman who told him she was poor and only had enough money to buy a loaf of bread, he told her had to go to England to monitor the oil wells over there and that until his money from his work account was transferred into his account over there he mainly had nowhere to stay cause he had no money for a hotel room, what a line of bs that was, she kept telling him that she had no money, I could not believe what he was saying to her ! Another woman he just kept calling her all night long cause she would not answer her phone, she begged him to please stop bothering her !
I have many pics of him, and saved conversations that we had .... I reported him to FB, had him knocked off of there, but I am sure he has come back under a different identity. I also reported him to Yahoo !!
Please beware of Andy Godwin .... like I said i was totally shocked when I heard that voice on Dr. Phil ! I even said to him, you have a accent where are you really from, and he just laughed it off !!!

Replied By: debpederson on Feb 21, 2013, 10:53PM
Just grateful Dr. Phil is bringing attention to this awful epidemic. It's tragic and killing our youth.  The Chicago suburbs have lost so many beautiful young people. My 23 year old daughter included.  Kudos to you Dr. Phil. The feelings of loss and shame are overwhelming.

Replied By: notonemore on Feb 21, 2013, 2:04PM - In reply to ryanverd
Nik has been a challenge since I have met him.  He truly has not been comfortable in his own skin so to speak.   He has been using for so long, how could he be ? Yet, he is brilliant and very charming.  He does have many good qualities.  I cannot tell you his story here, yet, but so far so good.   I love both these young men.  They are treasures worth saving and their families deserve to have their boys back.  Thank you to Dr. Phil and his staff for his time and help with awareness of the horrible drug that is snatching our youth away.

Replied By: valeriexo on Feb 21, 2013, 8:31AM
Hi Dr. Phil and to everyone who is reading this, addiction is a very serious and out-of-control problem that seems to only be getting worse. I know first hand how hard it is to overcome drug abuse, I am 25 years old and I was addicted to opiates. I have never tried heroin, but I'm sure that if I kept using opiates, I would have ended up trying heroin. Addiction is a disease, and a very serious disease at that! I started out using opiates when I was 16 years old, I suffered from back issues from a car accident, I also had kidney stones, etc, and I was living life in pain 24/7- my Dr. Started prescribing me pain meds like vicodin, and from the first day that I took it, I just loved the feeling it gave me, and it took all my pain away- then of course, my tolerance level went up, so the miligrams were going up! Well, it got progressively worse, I started getting prescribed percocet, and that was it. Well, I started finding myself needing more and more meds to get the same feeling, and I moved up to buying on the street -a oxycontin, etc. Well to make a long story short, I finally decided I couldn't live like I was, and I got help- I've been clean for almost 2 years, it will actually be 2 years in march- the thing with overcoming drug addiction is that the addict must WANT to get clean! People have to prepare themselves for the up and down dollar coaster that they will endure during their recovery, but in the end, it will all be worth it- Dr. Phil, there is no one better to help this man get clean- you save lives and help not only the individual, but their families as well. I love your show, I watch you every day, and I have ALL your books! And by the way, I LOVE your new book "Life Code", I ordered your book the first day you aired it on your show through your son's website! I am in the middle of reading it, and I just love it, I just wanted to share that! Everyone, go out and buy it, its a great book!

Replied By: simiksmith on Feb 20, 2013, 11:39AM
There's another side to the NOM group that seems to be ignored. From a Simi Valley Facebook Community page from someone who was part of this group:

Soon we will be known as the community that bans together, we will be heralded as the city that does not sweep issues under the rug, but addresses them head on and we should all be proud.  Sorry to say but things are not what they seem in NOM land.  Bashing of newly bereaved mother's, lying, stealing, bullying without a care for the integrity of the cause. A woman so bent on doing as she pleases that she goes carelessly about doing her business improperly stating that if anyone should find out, she will plead ignorance and the city will not judge her because she is a grieving mother.  Taking the ideas of others and using them and when they stand up for the integrity of the cause, they are told the keep their mouths shut.  This child predator, this drug called heroin, is not new to this city.  From speaking with other families, it has been here and I wonder why now we are addressing the issue?  Surely if there were a predator snatching children o...ff of the street in their mini-van and luring them away, we would hear of it right away, in every newspaper, on every channel....but we did not hear about these child predators known as drug dealers and the drug of choice that they were dealing,....heroin.  It took lives being lost, although others tried to raise awareness and bring a light much earlier on, they were ignored.  Now the papers scream of an arrest or a seize of the deadly drug, but where were those reports before, why so much collateral damage before this issue was addressed? Congratulations on going National, on bashing grieving mother's, on deceptive business practices, congratulations on getting away with it all, I applaud you, really I do, but I do not respect you.  What is your plan to save our city and what is your plan to bring our dead children back.......I really hope you have an answer to that one.

Replied By: ryanverd on Feb 18, 2013, 7:10PM
For the kid who threatened dr. phils staff and his/her family, there's no help for that kid.  I could look into his eyes for 5 seconds and tell you he has a death wish.  You wasted 20 minutes of your time dr. phil

Showing 131-140 of total 143 Comments