Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

Heroin use among America's youth is no longer just a big city problem; it's plaguing some of the most prestigious and safest suburban towns in the country. Dr. Phil sheds light on Simi Valley, California -- a community once known as the safest city in America -- where residents are now fighting a heroin epidemic that they say is crippling the town’s youth. Dr. Phil talks to teens and meets with Mayor Bob Huber to discuss his community plan. How can this drug problem be stopped? Then, Simi Valley families with heroin-addicted sons reach out to Dr. Phil for help. Greg and Mary say their 20-year-old son, Nik, has been using drugs since he was 13 and is so out control, he's been kicked out of seven schools, arrested more than 30 times and even labeled a “terrorist” by the Department of Homeland Security. Now living on the streets, Nik says heroin has taken over his life, and he knows that his future is either jail, death -- or Dr. Phil. Then, Linda and Richard admit they buried their heads in the sand when they first saw signs of their 24-year-old son, Steven’s, drug use, but they say they still can’t stop enabling him. Are they ready to toughen up to give their son a chance at a healthy future? Then, Monet was a promising young talent before she says she turned to drugs to deal with the death of her father. Ten months have passed since she accepted Dr. Phil’s offer of help. How is she now?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: btjmcal on Mar 22, 2013, 5:02PM
Unfortunately, I didn't see this show; in fact, I just heard about it today. I am a former Simi Valley resident (I lived there for 22 years, relocating in 2009 for job purposes) and raised my son there. He had been involved in athletics and had been an honors student. He, too, went the route of booze, meth, pills and eventually heroin. Several kids he'd known have died from drugs. Thank goodness my son came to his senses. He's been clean and sober for 19 months. He's in school, working full-time and is the son I'd known when he was a youngster. He did a lot of it by himself (determined to end what he'd become) but I also give a lot of credit to Action Family Counseling, which has several facilities and programs in Ventura County (where Simi Valley is located). My son ended up moving out of the area, where he attended Action rehab (his second time) and other Action programs. He has no interest in returning to Simi (where he couldn't get a job) and is focused on his future, not his past. All I can say is don't give up. If your child wants to break the cycle, do what you can to help. With the right encouragement, it can work.

Replied By: justsaying101 on Mar 19, 2013, 8:09AM - In reply to aintnofoolnomo
Thank you for your leads. I went to the Nar-Anon site especially and it has been a great comfort for me. Helps me sort through all my mixed feelings wether I post something or not. Gives me a platform to listen to my own thoughts and feel without judgement. Thank you again.

Replied By: sparkleshimmer on Mar 2, 2013, 6:56PM - In reply to sjordan
I have came across your message weeks ago! I was looking for the video as well! On demand it showed the information but not the video! I've looked everywhere online from this site, Youtube & everywhere else. The only thing I kept getting was comericals! Then I came across the site today with a few video's on the topic & then decided to sign up here just to help you by giving you this information! I hope this helps! Here's the link!  :)

http://drphil.com/shows/show/1980

Replied By: baby_gurl1988 on Feb 28, 2013, 11:32AM
Where can i go to watch this episode?? I missed it....

Replied By: jbwill on Feb 27, 2013, 10:54PM - In reply to aintnofoolnomo
My son is progressing (baby steps) for his recovery.  He has some mental issues he is working on, too. 
Yes, I am working on dealing with my health, too.  I am attending family counseling/group counseling and one on one counseling since last year.  There was a lady who came from Al-Anon to our group counseling several times. I have to try to attend the Al-Annon, Nar-Annon and Nami. I know these groups are big help as well.
The big thing that helps me a lot day by day is a spritual help.  Going to church regularly and support from the members of the church.  Prayer to God is powerful.

Replied By: sjordan on Feb 26, 2013, 4:14PM
Uuugh, I had been waiting all week for this show. My DVR did not record it for me. When are you going to re-air this show? Please tell me it will be soon.

Replied By: sprowltara on Feb 26, 2013, 1:12PM
This show was very hard for me to watch. I lost my younger brother Daniel at the age of 28 to heroin on Feb 12,2011. It has been the hardest thing I have ever gone through. My heart aches for addicts, parents, friends and family of addicts. I learned alot fighting the battle with my brother-30 day rehabs are a joke and a waste of money, our judicial system doesn't care...they know nothing about addiction, NA does not work unless the addict wants it-they cannot be court ordered to NA and make it work. Daniel met most of his "hook ups" at NA. I don't think addicts, not dealers, should be thrown in jails or prisons, they do need punished, but in a completely different environment then jail. This is a nightmare i will never get over, but I want to do anything in my power to help others, help change the way addicts are treated in society...my heart breaks for all of you. Right now, my mom is a mess. She lost her baby 2 years ago and blames herself...I pray someday that she realizes its not her fault.

Replied By: aintnofoolnomo on Feb 25, 2013, 9:19PM - In reply to jbwill
Hopefully, your son will move into a sober living home when he graduates from rehab.  Both of my children did so and it changed the course of their lives...............they are in long term recovery now.  A sober living home offers structure, meetings, support, encouragment and team effort: my kids learned how to face life as sober adults.

While they were changing their lives, I was told to "get busy" changing mine, because I couldn't focus on anything but them: to the exclusion of other loved ones and myself.  I was told about Nar-Anon Family Groups and how I could participate in a life saving program where I could learn how to love someone without being enmeshed in their lives: Detaching with Love was an odd concept and much easier to say than do.  I have learned a lot and I have regained my sanity (well, most of it) and created a new life that I'm happy to be living.

Perhaps you'd like a change too?

Nar-Anon Family Groups: www.nar-anon.org

Nar-Anon Family Forum: www.naranon.com/forum

Replied By: aintnofoolnomo on Feb 25, 2013, 9:13PM - In reply to sasasue
While your son is at his rehab program, hopefully changing the direction of his life, there are things you can be doing to change your life for the better too.

There's a wonderful saying that goes, "When we know better, we do better."  Nar-Anon helped me get clarity on the disease of addiction and how I participated in what we call the "Family Disease."

Please start your recovery too!

Nar-Anon Family Groups: www.nar-anon.org

Nar-Anon Family Forum: www.naranon.com/forum

Replied By: aintnofoolnomo on Feb 25, 2013, 9:09PM - In reply to justsaying101
Sorry to hear of your sister's passing..............way too soon!

Please let your family know about Compassionate Friends: 

http://www.compassionatefriends.org/home.aspx

We also have a grieving section on our Nar-Anon Family Forum: www.naranon.com/forum

Showing 1-10 of total 144 Comments