Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

(Original Air Date: 03/11/13) Siblings Muriel, 32, Brandi, 31, and Les, 34, have been living a mystery. They haven’t seen their mother, Brenda, in 31 years, have no idea if she’s dead or alive and only know what they say their father told them: their mother abandoned them. Muriel recently contacted Troy Dunn, star of The Locator, to help with their desperate search. When Troy delves into the siblings’ past, he learns shocking details about their childhood. Did Brenda abandon her children, or was something more sinister at play? Dr. Phil surprises the siblings when Brenda walks onstage. Will they get the answers they’ve been yearning for? Plus, the siblings say they had an older brother who disappeared with their mom. Why was he the only one whom Brenda took with her, and where is he today? Can this family find forgiveness and move forward? This program contains strong sexual content. Viewer discretion advised.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: lily1931 on Mar 13, 2013, 6:33AM - In reply to rtworx
I was wondering the same thing about the advice the Mother was given. 

I did cry through many parts of the show and wish this family to move ahead, to heal, to find love and laughter beyond the pain, so they could move beyond the horrific life they led because of the poor excuse of the father and husband.

Replied By: rtworx on Mar 12, 2013, 8:41PM
What happened to the the dad of this horrific situation and why didn't the authorities get involved while this abuse went on for all those years? The mom reports to the private investigators that she gets a threatening letter from the dad that he will do harm to the kids if she continues with her persuit and she is told to not continue? What? Why didn't the authorities take over at that point and investigate?? It just doesn't make any sense.

Replied By: mirawho on Mar 12, 2013, 8:35PM - In reply to yeole53mech
I read your story which has a lot more detail than you could give on the show.  I agree that the worst thing someone can do is hold on to things.  And no matter what, everyone has a right to their belief and opinion.  It is really easy to sit in your chair and look at people on tv and judge them.  The Springer show gave us that.  But in your situation, the amount of visible emotion going on, especially from Muriel, gave a lot of credence to your situation.  And you could see from your face and your sisters, that there was a lot going on inside.  I was out of the house living on my own when I was 14.  Not from abuse, but no one seemed to care about me.  I lived the life of an adult when I was a child and have lived many lifetimes in just this life.  I am not sure how I would feel in this situation, but as always, I forgive and forget.  Why carry the baggage.  You and your sisters have made it here through all of this and that is all that matters.  That and you have each other. 

I see a lot of the comments here and they have covered all sides.  All sides that is, but yours.  No one knows what it is like to live in fear and stress every day.  No one can say anything about you or your sisters as no one went through your particular pain.  I have known a lot of women that were abused by fathers when they were young and it affects them even to their adulthood.  Anyway, I just want to wish you and your family good luck.  No matter what decision any of you make, it will be a good one. 

Replied By: babyleopard on Mar 12, 2013, 8:07PM
I would like to know what had happened to the abusive father? Did he get charged with the crime and did he do his time in prison?

Replied By: anndono on Mar 12, 2013, 3:44PM - In reply to sellsworth86
My girl friend stayed with her abused husband even divorced him then let him move in to watch kids while mom worked dad molested their daughter when she was 4 the first time 4 more times.Mom finally had enough abuse didnt know daughter was being molested by her own husband the father of her children,he took her gun an killed her 6 yrs ago in her own home.Daughter contacted me a month ago daddy knew Id tell her daddy did this, made her stay away from me.Shes 20 now I took her to detective molesting charges are coming even the baby she had was her fathers, cps will find this out when DNA done.Then murder of mom will take place next,the daughter seen dad go back in moms room an last shot heard she knows her mom loved her an her brother I know this the whole family knows this NEVER NEVER stay with abuse an cops ignored dad killing mom so police not always right.So if you want to stay with abuse do so.I stayed with abused husband no children with him but raised 3 of mine with him 16 yrs until the fist hit me again an the prosecutor did nothing the cops did nothing,You just pack an leave save your life he will go to prison eventually an if all facts brought up may even molest in this family some kids never open up.

Replied By: anndono on Mar 12, 2013, 3:31PM
just remember two sides to every story,never listen just to one. never know if dad lieing until mom opens up up.

Replied By: kate101934 on Mar 12, 2013, 3:28PM - In reply to yeole53mech
I am sorry to say, EVERY system let you down.  I wish you peace in your life.

Replied By: elmondo on Mar 12, 2013, 2:49PM
Your show Monday brought tears to my eyes.  Having that family meet thei Mother was fantastic.  My Mother passed away before I goit the chance to meet her.  I did get to meet my family of 1/2 brothers and sisters, and we are still in contact with each other,

Replied By: darcycanada on Mar 12, 2013, 1:01PM - In reply to yeole53mech
To Les...wow, what a story.  A very sad riveting hour.  I saw it advertised and it really caught my attention.  So glad to see it even though it was bittersweet.  I watched it 3 times...cried.  I watch Dr. Phil all the time, never write on the message board but felt compelled today.  I must make my words few and count.  The fact that you three kids are alive, so normal and got to meet your Mom in spite of the evil at work all these years is an undeniable miracle.  I admire and thank Dr. Phil and Troy for giving you this chance.  Hearing your life as children was hard, can't imagine how you got through.  When your Mom came in, I felt the opposite of evil.  I believe her tears and enough of her story was sincere.  She didn't have to show up.  She wanted to see you again, just like you wanted to meet her.  I found myself thinking, how would I react 30 years after such a nightmare, to know that my kids are still alive and want to meet me and ask questions.  I think she came because that was more that she could hope for.  If she let you down when you were babies, she came through today, maybe too late but she did that and she brought everything she had, birth certificates, baby clothes, genuine tears, real hugs, real sorrow.  She was gracious, not defensive.  Lots of comments about how could she leave you, only her and God know.  There is more evidence of her love than lack of it.  I really appreciated the older sister in the audience and her thoughts, the paperwork, the courage of Muriel to pursue this search.  Each on of you are so different.  Brandi's anger I get, she's allowed.  And you...you asked "is she happy healthy and whole"?  Your strength floored me.  Someone else said you might write a book, I would also buy it.  I don't know if you believe in the power of God.  I do.  I pray "He will repay the years the locusts have eaten" (joel 2:25)

Replied By: doggiecat on Mar 12, 2013, 12:23PM - In reply to sellsworth86
Sellsworth, I am trying to understand your point of view and I believe I can do so. I have been on both sides of the coin, and so I know that you truly believe what you are writing.  I would have said exactly the same thing as you said once... Let me try to explain.  I had 4 children and was an abused wife. After giving birth to twins I had a total breakdown and was hospitalized for 6 months and when I returned to the home I suffered more abuse.  It was either leave or die and I was too ill to take my children with me. I kept in constant contact and I picked them up every weekend and eventually got custody of the two eldest. It was a nightmare for me being separated from my children and many people gave adverse comments on my situation, not knowing the problems I was facing. Why don't you try to understand that you do not know her situation and even were she to try to explain it all to you, you still would not be able to see the heartache she may have suffered. I was once like you and would have said the same things that you said. I am now 71 years old and when I look back I would maybe have done things a lot differently than I did... but that is hindsight isn't it? My two eldest understand and do not blame me as they saw a lot of what happened.  The twins did not see and so they did not understand like the other two did. I am now studying psychology at University and I understand myself and others a lot better than I did and I try very hard not to be judgemental of others. I too once would have fought for my children, but I was so beaten down that I could hardly look after myself without having to look after children. Try to see the other side sellsworth...for instance, once I used to say that I could not understand how a child could drown in a pool ... I judged people who "allowed" their child to drown and then my eldest child almost drowned in front of my eyes. I have lived for 71 years and find that sometimes 'with the judgements that you dish out to others, they can come back to you with a ferocity.' I now try to reserve my judgements and leave it all to the Greater Judge who sees and knows all.

Showing 21-30 of total 97 Comments