Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

(Original Air Date: 03/11/13) Siblings Muriel, 32, Brandi, 31, and Les, 34, have been living a mystery. They haven’t seen their mother, Brenda, in 31 years, have no idea if she’s dead or alive and only know what they say their father told them: their mother abandoned them. Muriel recently contacted Troy Dunn, star of The Locator, to help with their desperate search. When Troy delves into the siblings’ past, he learns shocking details about their childhood. Did Brenda abandon her children, or was something more sinister at play? Dr. Phil surprises the siblings when Brenda walks onstage. Will they get the answers they’ve been yearning for? Plus, the siblings say they had an older brother who disappeared with their mom. Why was he the only one whom Brenda took with her, and where is he today? Can this family find forgiveness and move forward? This program contains strong sexual content. Viewer discretion advised.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: newsmom on Aug 4, 2013, 1:13PM - In reply to calibre5t9
They mentioned it during the show. the dad has passed on.

Replied By: isaac18 on Aug 3, 2013, 9:45PM
I feel bad for these people. There are some things that do not make sense. Why didn't she find these children when the were 18? Why didn't she do more? Why didn't she fight more?? I would not be able to sleep at night knowing this was going on. Hopefully the kids get there peace.

Replied By: calibre5t9 on Aug 2, 2013, 2:24PM
Very moving show, but I couldn't believe there was no information regarding whatever happened to this man.  Very frustrating!  I want to know that he has or is or will be paying the price for what he's done!  Did I miss that on the show or am I correct there was no information?

Replied By: upsydasy on Aug 2, 2013, 9:44AM - In reply to lanna89
You’re right about not having enough resources for battered and abused women even to this day.  Shelters serve a purpose, but they’re so terribly underfunded that the conditions leave a lot to be desired and most importantly they’re only temporary.  A mother will eventually have to find someplace else to live with her children, while holding down a job to support them all.  If she’s being stalked or threatened, which happens all the time, she must relocate in secret while keeping her kids fed, clothed and somehow in school and risk being arrested by the authorities for kidnapping.

The fact that the children of this story were left with a monster complicates things enormously.  On the other hand, I’m sure that she was unaware that they were also being sexually and physically exploited.  Over the years, she probably invented a scenario in her mind that helped her believe that they were better off without her and that their lives would be spared is she just stayed away and didn’t try to find them.  Of course it’s easy to see now that the story has come full circle how wrong she was.  Yet the truth of the matter is that she really didn’t know what the monster would eventually do to her children.  She possessed little of no resources at the time to fight for them and to keep them safe.  Had she been a wealthier and better educated woman of sound mind and body, she may have had a better chance of escape, but even those circumstances wouldn’t have provided an absolute certainty of success.  When dealing with a psychopath, nothing is that black and white.  Brandy, the baby of the family, made an excellent point when she wrote in her comment here that her monster/father would often leave his children with his sister, which would have allowed her mother to find them and take them away.  But my question is why didn’t the aunt do that herself or contact their mother while she had the chance?  She also must have known what kind of deviant pig her brother was.  Why didn’t SHE try to save them while they were in her temporary care?  The problem is families often lie and stick together in order to save themselves from retaliation, embarrassment and avoid judgment.

Considering what she and her siblings went through, Brandy has every right to feel the way she does.  I just hope that in time she will come to understand that many people also had the opportunity to save them while she and her siblings were being so atrociously abused, yet seemingly chose to do nothing.

Let that be a lesson to us all.

Replied By: howdytwo on Aug 1, 2013, 11:23PM - In reply to deblynch2
Unless you have experienced what this mother has you should not judge her, or say what you would have done had your children had been taken in this way. Of course you feel like you would have searched; but you were not there.

Replied By: marzipansii on Aug 1, 2013, 10:16PM - In reply to jasimadi
It is easy to assume you would do this or that in a given situation because that is what you hope you would do. History has proven that we all act to survive or work toward the survival of our children.  I would die to have a mother who would cry at the thought of meeting me after all that time. I can't imagine having the chance to heal with a parent who wanted to erase the pain of the other, abusive parent. Do not throw this chance away. Nothing is perfect. Nothing will meet every need. But if you want to heal, this is how to do so.

Replied By: chanls on Aug 1, 2013, 1:55PM
This was such a moving program.  I was in an abusive relationship and you get so scared of the abuser that you dont think clearly.  She is a good person (mother), her husband, well no words are coming to me that would do him justice for the barbaric so called man that was a "father".  I am so glad for the kids that they met there mom, it will bring them some peace, but they will probably  never get over the abuse.  At least now they know she tried and that weighs heavy in forgiveness.  I wish them will and a great  life with there mother.  

Linda Chandler

Replied By: xnightingale17 on May 24, 2013, 12:14PM - In reply to jasimadi
Hi brandi, 

I'm so happy that you have found your lost mother after all these years. And I'm so sorry for what happened to you. I just hope you'd get to heal from everything that happened as what Dr. Phil said. And I couldn't blame you for feeling that way because I can't imagine how you might have felt being hopeless as a child and trying to endure what you've been through, wondering where your mother was. But I also feel bad for your mother having the need to go through all of those things. It's really horrible. I can't stop weeping when I watched this episode. I just hope you can also forgive your mother ang be healed from those wounds. May God bless you and your family.

Replied By: jasimadi on Mar 22, 2013, 8:05PM - In reply to popsicletoes

This is Brandi, the baby.  As of yet I have not watched the show so I don't know how it has been edited but as one having first hand knowledge of what was said, I dont think I am being overly critical or judgemental of Brenda.  I know resources now are not what they were in 1981. Im sure tracking people would have been extremely difficult but I also know it is a lot easier to hide someone now than it was 30 years ago.  I am not angry with Brenda for what she decided to do.  I know my father was a monster, I lived with the man.  I also know that as a mother myself, I would have never stopped looking for my children.  What was not mentioned on the show is that Brenda had known my fathers family so getting information probably would not have been that hard considering he dumped us with my aunt in California as often as he could.  Do not judge something or someone you know nothing about!!!

Replied By: bluedolphin13 on Mar 18, 2013, 2:25PM
it would be great if you could write a book about your past and current situations. i think it would help others, and it seems like a lot of people have had similar situations.

Showing 1-10 of total 97 Comments