Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

Dawn says for the past seven months, she’s been dating David, whom she met online and has never seen in person -- despite at least three attempts to do so. She admits that she’s sent David $30,000, and she now fears it might all be a scam. Dawn’s daughters, Tania and Heather, and sister, Gail, say they think David is an online dating predator -- a catfish -- who is taking advantage of Dawn. What red flags do they say she’s turned a blind eye to? And, after some investigative work by Dr. Phil staff, will the truth be exposed? Then, Lucy is afraid her son, Craig’s, former fiancée, “Jen,” might not be who she says she is. Craig admits that he’s never seen Jen in person since he met her online five years ago, but he wants to believe that she’s the real deal. When Jen joins the show via phone, will Lucy’s suspicions be confirmed? And, is Jen willing to finally meet Craig in person? Plus, don’t miss Dr. Phil’s tips for spotting online dating scammers!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: alphak555 on Oct 8, 2013, 10:16PM - In reply to debbiedo7183
I usually don't read long posts but I did read yours! It was fantastic and your one funny lady! Loved it! I'm still laughing about " enjoy your paralazed life"!  That's a classic! So so funny! 

These scammers are just scum, plain scum!

Replied By: alphak555 on Oct 8, 2013, 10:07PM - In reply to sissy456
A little common sense is all you need to spot the scammers! I find these people idiotic for falling for a person they have never met! You CANT be IN LOVE with a stranger! What's wrong with people? 

Replied By: alphak555 on Oct 8, 2013, 10:05PM
Doesn't anyone have common sense these days?  How the hell is anyone falling for the scams and fake people on the internet?  common sense is all you need to keep you from being a fool! Stay open but realize the risks!

Replied By: sissy456 on Sep 12, 2013, 10:33AM
I TALK TO MEN ON SKYPE AND EVERY ON HAS TRY TO GET SOME MONEY OR PHONE OR COMPUTER FROM ME BUT I AM SMARTER THEN THEY ARE I KNOW WHAT THEY ARE UP TO THANKS TO THE FIRST 2 MEN I HAVE TALK TO . ONCE THEY ASK FOR SOMETHING FROM ME I DELET THEM. IT LIKE A GAME TO SEE HOW LONG THEY WILL TALK BEFORE THEY ASK YOU FOR SOMETHING I DO FEEL SORRY FOR THE WOMEN WHO FALL FOR THERE LINES. EVENONTHE DATEING SITE THEY AER ALL THE SAME.
EMILY

Replied By: bellakaty on Jul 5, 2013, 12:15PM
My mother has been talking with a man she met on Twitter for the last 2.5 - 3 years. She says they're in love, she's never met a man like him, he loves her unconditionally, he's going to retire her & buy her houses, car and they'll get married and travel the world. She hasn't met this man. He claims to live in NY and hasn't been able to come because he works in a management position for a private security firm where he can't reveal personal information and is always working, traveling overseas and doing high profile jobs like security for the Pope & the royal wedding. If you watch the news, you know where he's going to claim to be. He's told her to tell her family members not to Google him because it 'pings' him at his place of employment and he could be in trouble and put his job in jeopardy.
As her family members, we've been trying to wrap our heads around this situation and support her through our major doubts but recently things came to a head. She admitted to stealing a large sum of money from another relative and sending it to him. Then I found out she sent him money at least a year ago. My fear is that this has been going on in secret for at least the last year. Her credit cards stay maxed out and she's consistently said she's broke despite the fact that her monthly income from her full time job is more than the rest of us make. Her outgoing expenses are minimal, which would leave her with over 1K each month to do with what she pleases. We assumed she was paying extra on her medical bills & car payment. The information about the money came out 7 days ago and we've had a senior detective with the local PD who specializes in fraud try to track down this man to see if he's legit. We've provided him withthe man's known email addresses, name, telephone number but all searches have come up dead ends. His emails are sent from a Verizon device - and coincidentally enough Verizon requires a court order to gain access to tracking information. Fitting more of the puzzle together, he also requested mom switch from her cell phone carrier to Verizon about 2 months ago and she complied. He's also operation out of a Gmail account, which is unable to be tracked via IP address. The detective said he knows she's being taken but this person is very adept and skilled at covering their tracks and feeding mom exactly the lies he needs to get her to comply with his every request. Our advice from the detective is to pressure him to meet her & also try to get our hands on how the money was sent to him whether via money order receipts or bank transfer information. We've contacted him and asked to meet using the reason that we were in NY and wanted his address and of course the response was that he's out of the country on business. The funny thing is I gave no date or time that we would be in NY visiting, just that we wanted to meet up and asked for his address and restaurants close by that were his favorite. If this is a man who does this for a living in a cubicle in the middle of Nigeria then I knew some excuse would follow with no personal information given and I was correct. We have kept everything extremely secretive because our plan was to have an intervention with Mom and present her with factual evidence he is a scam artist. In doing extensive online resource, I've complied a list of 39 things that are common things scammers say and reasoning that match up with what I know he's claimed about himself. In that list are also multiple reasons why she would be a prime target of this sort of scam being recently divorced in the last 3 years and being over the age of 50.
What I'm pleading for now is legitimate advice about where to go from here as we're afraid she's in so deep and has been so blinded in 'love' with this fraud that she can't see the light of day.My fear is that if we can't trace this man and come back with facts about him being a pretend person, that she won't hear any of it and will defend him to her death. Regardless of how much evidence we have that matches his story exactly with a scam artist, it is my belief she will deny it and make excuses for him without hard proof. She's extraordinarily private and defensive about him anytime we question her and always steps outside for phone conversations. As her family, we are completely blindsided and out of our element having never experienced a situation like this. Any help would be so greatly appreciated as we're concerned she is sending him money with each weekly paycheck she receives and will continue to do so. Our goal is to have an intervention with her and present her with all the evidence, but we are at a stand still with no facts in hand besides the dead ends and I'm certain she will say it's because his profession is so top secret that he has to cover his tracks well to maintain anonymity.

Replied By: strine on Apr 1, 2013, 10:52PM
Dawn seemed to be attracted to the drama because she kept talking excitedly about everything the fictitious character did and said e.g. "He was caught with cocaine in his bag", "he was in a car accident" and so on. She's lucky to be alive unlike a woman from New Zealand who was recently murdered after flying out to meet an African man pretending to be someone else. When are the governments in our countries going to sort out the telephone contacts from African countries to stop these scams? The dating websites also should be sued into making sure their members are real people (their real clients pay to be on there while the fakes pay to catch their real clients)...sue that dating company and get your money back and maybe they will change their policies.

Replied By: alphak555 on Apr 1, 2013, 9:47PM
I can't believe people fall for these scams! I have been on online dating sites and I am very cautious about the whole thing!

Why I think people are stupid is because you can't fall in love with someone you have never met! I don't understand why people don't think it is weird for a stranger to say they love you and pronounce their undying love for you and you don't think that is weird!

Even if the person exists and is not in Nigeria anyone who is that unstable and emotionally childish to think that you have fallen in love with a computer  screen has emotional or mental problems! Where is the common sense? Even my challenged son knows not to be taken in by scammers or mentally I'll people online! 

If you are lonely and want to meet someone online then be sensible and use common sense! Contact people who you can meet! Don't believe anything until you can verify the facts! If the person says they love you before they have met you delete them from your contacts because they are unstable and don't know what love really is! You want someone who is smart and stable not a scammer or a liar!

Use your heads people and stop making Nigeria rich!

As for the guy and "Jen" I really hope dr Phil convinces him to charge her with fraud and theft! I am sick of the amount of manipulators out there who have no honor or integrity!

Replied By: carlan on Mar 24, 2013, 2:42PM - In reply to carlan
What is this?
Just yesterday (3/23/13), I got a Facebook friend request ostensibly from another unfamiliar “self-employed” man.
He had no mutual friends, and only two friends, total – both women.
He gave his city as one in my region, but I wasn’t impressed.
I didn’t accept the request, nor will I.
All I did was capture his “profile photo,” and do an image search to see if “his” photo would show up someplace like pigbusters.net.
It didn’t, somewhat to my surprise, but I’m still not “biting.”
SHEESH!
These people must get what they want some of the time, or they wouldn’t keep doing it.
They’re not going to get it from me, though!

Replied By: fusionmom on Feb 20, 2013, 4:49PM
So Dr. Phil is Craig going to prosecute this person that took his money?

Replied By: debbiedo7183 on Feb 14, 2013, 1:50PM
A guy contacted me on facebook and wanted to friend me, I didn't know him and never respond to friend requests I don't know, so I just ignored the message and went on about my business. About a month later, he contacted me again and I thought maybe he knew mw through another friend. My reply to him was:"Do I know you?" Now get this answer, he said he was looking on facebook for another friend of his and came across my profile and knew instantly that we belonged together. I answered him and told him things don't happen in the real world. He was supposed to be from London, and he continued to profess his undying love for me. I asked him how he could know he loved someone he had never met? I also told him "look, if you are looking for some rich American woman to hook up with, get married, get your American citizenship and live happily ever after, you are barking up the wrong tree. I live on a fixed income and barely get by each month. Anyway, he waited two and a half months before the "money" call came. It was so funny because when you had your show and you showed that list of things that were characteristic of these guys, he had all but two of them! Anyway, 12:00pm on the day he was coming back to the states to finish a job he was doing in Austin, Tx. For some reason he emphasized he would call me from the airport. He didn't but that was nothing unusual for him not to call when he said he would, so I thought nothing of it. At 2:30am in themorning after, "a piece of machinery broke on his job and he had to go to Maylasia" , I got a phone call from a Dr. (ha ha) saying that he had been in a horrible accident on the way to the airport, the driver had been killed and "William" had two broken legs and a cracked vertebrae in his neck and needed "immediate" surgery. Only problem was, they needed a deposit to do the surgery because all his identification and wallet had been lost in the crash, the "Dr" happened to find his cell phone and my # was listed in it as "My Love".I asked this guy what kind of hospital didn't just do surgery and worry about the money later and he said it was a very costly surgery and they couldn't just do that. I told him to tell William to enjoy his paralyzed life because as I had told him from the beginning I was not sending him money and I didn't have any money to send anyway. This guy says" you don't even know how much I was going to say, it could have only been $100, you don't love him that much? I said I never loved him at all, never told him I loved him and I am not sendin one penny, much less $100. Tell him the love letters were good, but they weren't that good!

Showing 1-10 of total 163 Comments