Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

(Original Air Date: 01/14/13) Twenty years ago, 10-year-old Katie Beers vanished, and a nationwide manhunt ensued. Sixteen days later, John Esposito, a friend of Katie’s family, turned himself in and led authorities to his underground bunker, where Katie was being held captive. Since her rescue, Katie has never spoken publicly about her ordeal, in an attempt to live a “normal” life. Now, she opens up about her kidnapping in her book, Buried Memories, and shares her horrific experience in an exclusive with Dr. Phil. And, former FBI profiler Clint Van Zandt, one of the first people to see Katie when she was discovered, shares details of the homemade dungeon and why he believes Katie would have never been found if Esposito hadn’t given himself up. Then, two years ago, 13-year-old Sarah Maynard and her younger brother walked into their home and into the middle of a nightmare: Their mother and a family friend had been murdered, and a man with a knife grabbed Sarah and tied her up, while brutally killing her brother. Sarah was held captive on a bed of leaves for four days until authorities found her. In a daytime exclusive, Sarah, now 15, shares her story with Dr. Phil and discusses her book, The Girl in the Leaves. How did she survive her horrifying ordeal? Plus, Dr. Phil has a surprise for Sarah.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: inirebelsoul on Mar 29, 2013, 6:44PM
Sarah is so pretty and I can see the pain in her eyes I know how much she is suffering. It looks as if she is still living the nightmare. But when she smiles there is definitley hope there for here. She made me cry, wishing I could reach out and hug her. Thank God for her father, I can definitely see pain on his face too. What a thing to go through. I am so glad he has his daughter safe. I have been a victim in my life a couple times and went through so many head trips  with it  but this is a whole different extreme. I can't understand the kids at school teasing her about this?  Really?  what a bunch of brats. That is another issue that needs to be adressed and is out of control. Fast. No child should have to go through what she went through and then to have to be teased at school is a sin. My heart goes out to her.

Replied By: upsydasy on Mar 29, 2013, 5:07AM - In reply to dpanella
One of the many lessons that I learned from reading Life Code is that Dr. Phil doesn't care about what strangers think of him.  Ever since I read that line in the book, I've wondered about what it would be like to just go through life without getting caught up in the little things.

Today, as I worried about something 2 semi-strangers said about me just the other day, I heard a Good Friday message that suggested we set aside our anger and resentments for just one day.  So, that’s what I intend to try and do today.

Happy Easter everyone!

Replied By: jodyp67 on Mar 28, 2013, 4:16PM
As I sat and watched I could relate to Katie being called a liar for telling the truth and asking for help.  I have vicious Aunts in my life and as I sat and relived some of my horror I could not help but wonder if the aunt, the husband of the aunt, and the friend of the family  did not conspire against Katie for telling the truth about the sexual abuse.  My question is, was the friend of Katie family friends with Katies' aunts' husband.  If so there is more to this story than is being told.  One thing is for sure if the Aunt called Katie a liar I would guess its the aunt who is the real liar.  Usually those that are labelling others badly are the ones that have something to hide.  Just my Opionion had to speak out, emotional subject matter for me. 

I watched Dr. Phil for MANY years and never joined but this was personal.  It is amazing how far family will go to get back on children who "speak out for help" because the are told to do so at school and then find out family CAN NOT be trusted.

Its a sick, sick world.    

Replied By: commich11 on Mar 28, 2013, 3:05PM
The ordeal these poor girls have experienced is so tragic, it is incomprehensible.  I pray for them and their families.  I also pray they muster the courage to face their captors and spit in their faces.

Replied By: chitowngirl on Mar 28, 2013, 1:45PM - In reply to ginademarco
I have to agree that I, too, am really tired of the Life Code plugs every single day. I am sure it's a great book and is very helpful and I understand that Dr. Phil is proud of the book and his son's publishing company as well but it's getting to be too much. Just my opinion.

Replied By: wildweezie on Mar 28, 2013, 12:39PM - In reply to dpanella
Hmmmm .. one viewer vs New York Times Bestseller List ...hmmmm ... wonder ... hmmm ... 

It is HIS show, HIS book, HIS kid, and quite frankly if HE wants to flog it, then HE certainly can.  Besides, it's a really valuable tool for life in the 21st century.   What I wonder is why it bothers you so much?  It's less than 15 seconds, less than a typical commercial ... 15 seconds can really irritate you so much as to no longer watch this very good program?  Really?  Interesting.... 

Replied By: junejr009 on Mar 28, 2013, 8:45AM - In reply to dpanella
Look,

This book "Life Code" is a KEY in awareness to improve our human existance!  If you read it you would want it to be ALL that was advertised! It is that important!  As a mother of  5...if one of my grown children was able to publish work of this importance that happend to be mine...then goodie for them!  Dr Phil's Plug warms my heart as a viewer and a parent!  I am thrilled of his success! The apple doesn't fall far from the tree! Be Happy for others SUCCESS!

June Jr. 009

Replied By: junejr009 on Mar 28, 2013, 8:35AM
Wow...I did a paper for my Victimology class on this case! Yes, I lost a couple of nights sleep!  God Bless this women!

Replied By: dpanella on Mar 28, 2013, 7:38AM
I have been a long time viewer of your show.  I have often felt that Dr Phil has great insight and skill in counseling people.  I have used so much of what I have learned to improve my personal life.

I now have my first complaint,,, the promotional programming for Life Code and Jay's book store remind me of the infomercials that annoy me while viewing.  To me it cheapens this wonderful program.

Sorry but I wont watch when lLife Code is a significant part of the program.

Replied By: ginademarco on Mar 28, 2013, 7:24AM
dr. phil,

you present such compelling topics of discussion but each and every show you keep hawking your book - it takes away from the show, it really does.  i recommend, if you must do this on each show, that you do it before or after the show, not during it -

Showing 1-10 of total 41 Comments