2013 Shows

It’s a case that has made headlines and rattled the tight-knit city of Steubenville, Ohio: Two high school football players are accused of raping a 16-year-old girl while partying in August 2012, and some community members are accusing authorities of conducting a lax investigation in order to protect the football program. The case recently garnered national media attention after a video, showing a teenage boy joking about the rape, was leaked online by Anonymous, a loosely associated group of Internet hackers. Ma'lik Richmond and Trenton Mays, both 16, have been charged with rape and are awaiting trial as juveniles -- but some critics believe the teens should be tried as adults and that more students should be charged. Dr. Phil talks to community members about the controversial investigation and how social media is playing a part. Tune in and decide for yourself: Are city leaders trying to protect the town’s beloved football program, or is justice being served?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: bluerabbit on Jan 17, 2013, 4:47PM - In reply to groundcontrol
Come on, have you heard people's answers to Leno's American history questions on Jaywalking? Kids take American history in 5th grade, 8th grade, and 11th grade. They, at one time, were exposed to the answers to all of those questions, and those are simple facts. Parents teach their kids moral, ethical, and social behavior by example, starting the day a child is born. Granted, some kids have something missing and are quite different than others in their family. Some behaviors are genetic or due to malfunctions only a physician can diagnose, but few are amenable to modification in school. If a parent, who loves you more than any other human on earth, can't get through to you, how could a teacher? High school teachers see kids for less than an hour a day and have a lot of information to cover.

Replied By: allweneedisluv on Jan 17, 2013, 4:43PM - In reply to kae1691
Even if they didn't leave a paper trail they still violated the law because A. Intoxication negates conset and B. Age also negates consent

Replied By: gegezzim on Jan 17, 2013, 4:41PM - In reply to mulysa911
That is an awful what happened to you; don’t keep silent fight back.  It is not your fault.

Replied By: bluerabbit on Jan 17, 2013, 4:38PM - In reply to atarglu
This is so sad. You are so brave. Thank you for sharing this.

Replied By: bluerabbit on Jan 17, 2013, 4:36PM - In reply to ert7890
This is real, and it is everywhere.

Replied By: bluerabbit on Jan 17, 2013, 4:34PM - In reply to kellygirl7163
So many times in the last few years we have seen sports heroes, and entire programs, try to deny outrageous accusations, only to find that those charges were true. I think that's why so many of us are ready to believe this is possible. (Speaking in general.) We will just have to wait and see. Also, it happens all over this country every day, and most often is never reported.

Replied By: allweneedisluv on Jan 17, 2013, 4:33PM
1stly I love your show and watch it everyday Dr. Phil :)

1. Last I Checked if a girl is drunk the girl can't consent.

2. If she was underage she can't consent

in my opinion for both these reasons what those boys did was rape under the U.S. Law if not rape than its Statutory Rape which is still rape I believe that the law should be applied to everyone regardless of status in life and also if the Chief of Police doesn't apply the law to the football team he should be fired for failure to do his job.

Replied By: canyouhearme on Jan 17, 2013, 4:31PM - In reply to redneck79
Yes, Dr. Phil was saying it was a nice town.  I don't think someone did their homework.  It used to be a nice town a long, long time ago.  Over the years it has been infiltrated with crime on so many levels.  It is always in the news for shootings etc.  You told it like it is.

Replied By: bluerabbit on Jan 17, 2013, 4:28PM - In reply to mulysa911
What a sad and frightening story! I am so sorry to hear it.

(When they talk about putting armed guards in schools, that's the kind of guy that comes to mind. Who would want to do that job? Who would be scarier, a possible gunman or an armed guard of questionable psychology who was there all the time?)

Replied By: taylorjoh on Jan 17, 2013, 4:27PM
What piece of work... she sure has raised her son to have the "good-ole' boy" network mentality.  Frothing at the mouth in anger is no way to represent the town or kids of Steubenville!  She also did a huge disservice to her son.  She should be ashamed of herself!

Showing 111-120 of total 261 Comments