Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

It’s a case that has made headlines and rattled the tight-knit city of Steubenville, Ohio: Two high school football players are accused of raping a 16-year-old girl while partying in August 2012, and some community members are accusing authorities of conducting a lax investigation in order to protect the football program. The case recently garnered national media attention after a video, showing a teenage boy joking about the rape, was leaked online by Anonymous, a loosely associated group of Internet hackers. Ma'lik Richmond and Trenton Mays, both 16, have been charged with rape and are awaiting trial as juveniles -- but some critics believe the teens should be tried as adults and that more students should be charged. Dr. Phil talks to community members about the controversial investigation and how social media is playing a part. Tune in and decide for yourself: Are city leaders trying to protect the town’s beloved football program, or is justice being served?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: canyouhearme on Jan 17, 2013, 3:58PM - In reply to drummerlove1
I agree with you and I wish Dr. Phil would have defended the woman in the audience who also was a gues on his show!  I can't believe he let her speak to that woman in the manner in which she did.

Replied By: mulysa911 on Jan 17, 2013, 3:54PM
Thank you Dr. Phil for saying that.    I have experienced just this.  Just because I was at a private adult party and drank too much, ended up being sexually assaulted by a co-worker (police officer) ...  My boss decided to side with him and did not hep me.      I no longer work there ( a job of 18 years )..   They turned their back on me and it is an aweful feeling.

Replied By: kae1691 on Jan 17, 2013, 3:51PM - In reply to nccowboy
Yes, Ray Lewis is the prime of example of an excuse !  Poor, poor Ray Lewis.... Lots of people think he should have a super bowl ring on his finger ......  NOT ME !  Out of control kids with out of control behavior that parents just sweep under the carpet.  The kids created this problem by creating the negative social media about what happened leaving the proverbial paper trail.  Now the parents and kids are upset about others doting out negative social media.  You can't have your cake and eat it, too !  If you are going to participate in social media, then you have to accept the good, the bad and the ugly when you put it out there for the world to see.  These kids deserve what they get, since the parents have not educated their child about the consequences to their children's actions.  Parents think that it is cute and even important for their child to be in the popular group who gets invited to many parties.  Parents base their child's popularity on how many boyfriends and girlfriends their child has.  And then when something like this happens, everyone gets upset.  I think that many people feel that once their child gets to the 3rd grade, they feel as if they do not have to parent them anymore !  And look at these horrible situations that happen and are in the news daily.  I do not feel sorry for Steubenville ....... You created the monsters !  Get control of your kids !  

Replied By: northernrune on Jan 17, 2013, 3:48PM - In reply to redbud73086
100%

Replied By: northernrune on Jan 17, 2013, 3:46PM
Absolutely unbelievable on a number of levels.  The "alleged" perpetrators are bad enough, but then a mother on stage (the only blond) begins ranting, raving and quite frankly exhibiting behavior bordering on hysteria, well, it's leaves us speechless.   What a dreadful example she is not only for her son (also on stage beside her) and all other kids, but for the town she was frothing at the mouth attempting to defend.   The attorney whom she was spouting off at, sat calmy and I think must have been incredulous at the scene before her, as was I.  I can only hope this Steubenville Ohio mother is not representing her town as having all mothers who behave histrionically as she did.

Replied By: mlopez04 on Jan 17, 2013, 3:34PM
Talk about lack of empathy from these boys. It's bad enough what they did to the girl already, but then to go around bragging about it online. It's disgusting! These boys have no conscience, and just cuz they are good football players, doesn't make them untouchable. The victim deserves justice

Replied By: ienglish on Jan 17, 2013, 3:32PM
WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO SOCIETY AND MORALITY? I AM ABSOLUTELY MORTIFIED THAT ANYONE WOULD MAKE  ANY EXCUSES FOR THIS PATHETIC BEHAVIOR!  I THANK GOD EVERY DAY THAT MY TWO SONS WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN  AROUND LOSERS LIKE THE MORONS AT THE PARTY BUT IF THEY HAD THE MISFORTUNE OF BEING SO, THEY BOTH WOULD HAVE SAVED THIS DEAR GIRL FROM THE MOST FOUL  OF VIOLATIONS.  THE RAPISTS AND THEIR PARENTS NEED TO JUST SHUT UP AND DEAL WITH  WHAT THEY ALL DESERVE. HAD THERE BEEN NO EVIDENCE, THEY ALL WOULD HAVE JUST GONE ON WITH THEIR  OWN PATHETIC LITTLE LIVES NEVER GIVING THE VICTIM ANOTHER THOUGHT.

Replied By: redbud73086 on Jan 17, 2013, 3:23PM - In reply to johnanon
Football  is "king" in this country - high school, college and pros.  They can get away with things because of who they are, where you and I would be tried, convicted, and the key thrown away. 

Replied By: phatkatt on Jan 17, 2013, 3:22PM
Please take the time to talk to your kids. I was "the girl that got raped". I was 12 years old. I was drunk and passed out when I was raped by a "friend".

I never told my Mom, never, still to this day. And I was raped 40 years ago.  Don't think they are going to tell you. I was sent for counseling, had to talk to phychiastrists, etc. "Why are acting this way?" "I don't know".  No one ever asked me if I had been abused. They all just assumed that I was a bad kid.

I take the blame for what happened, I shouldn't have been there, and I shouldn't have been drinking. But I was. Dont' think it can't be your child... all you have to do is talk to them.  Don't be embarrased, they wont even remember it in the future. Would you rather have them not be ready when the time comes?

Replied By: mary1231 on Jan 17, 2013, 3:21PM
I thought the mother who was there with her son, who was not at the party, became overbearing when Dr. Phil asked the prosecutor to comment. If the mom won't listen to a professional, it's no wonder her kid won't listen.

Situations like this one are so disgusting. People.......don't have kids if you aren't going to raise them. You can't be "friends" with your kids. They need guidance and discipline and certainly chaperoning when there's a party at your home!!!!!!

Showing 151-160 of total 268 Comments