2013 Shows

It’s a case that has made headlines and rattled the tight-knit city of Steubenville, Ohio: Two high school football players are accused of raping a 16-year-old girl while partying in August 2012, and some community members are accusing authorities of conducting a lax investigation in order to protect the football program. The case recently garnered national media attention after a video, showing a teenage boy joking about the rape, was leaked online by Anonymous, a loosely associated group of Internet hackers. Ma'lik Richmond and Trenton Mays, both 16, have been charged with rape and are awaiting trial as juveniles -- but some critics believe the teens should be tried as adults and that more students should be charged. Dr. Phil talks to community members about the controversial investigation and how social media is playing a part. Tune in and decide for yourself: Are city leaders trying to protect the town’s beloved football program, or is justice being served?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: redbud73086 on Jan 17, 2013, 3:23PM - In reply to johnanon
Football  is "king" in this country - high school, college and pros.  They can get away with things because of who they are, where you and I would be tried, convicted, and the key thrown away. 

Replied By: phatkatt on Jan 17, 2013, 3:22PM
Please take the time to talk to your kids. I was "the girl that got raped". I was 12 years old. I was drunk and passed out when I was raped by a "friend".

I never told my Mom, never, still to this day. And I was raped 40 years ago.  Don't think they are going to tell you. I was sent for counseling, had to talk to phychiastrists, etc. "Why are acting this way?" "I don't know".  No one ever asked me if I had been abused. They all just assumed that I was a bad kid.

I take the blame for what happened, I shouldn't have been there, and I shouldn't have been drinking. But I was. Dont' think it can't be your child... all you have to do is talk to them.  Don't be embarrased, they wont even remember it in the future. Would you rather have them not be ready when the time comes?

Replied By: mary1231 on Jan 17, 2013, 3:21PM
I thought the mother who was there with her son, who was not at the party, became overbearing when Dr. Phil asked the prosecutor to comment. If the mom won't listen to a professional, it's no wonder her kid won't listen.

Situations like this one are so disgusting. People.......don't have kids if you aren't going to raise them. You can't be "friends" with your kids. They need guidance and discipline and certainly chaperoning when there's a party at your home!!!!!!

Replied By: revravenhawk on Jan 17, 2013, 3:18PM - In reply to pookerlee52
Just a quick note..Icompletely agree with your comment! Well said

Replied By: redbud73086 on Jan 17, 2013, 3:14PM - In reply to foor659
I agree.

Replied By: highcountrygal on Jan 17, 2013, 3:12PM
Great show today, Dr. Phil! I love when you address the audience and speak to us about how to deal with issues. You always know just the right way to speak to someone, in this case our children. Speaking to young men about how to conduct themselves in this situation (and similar situations) was very powerful. This gives parents a jumping off point to continue the discussion. I wish you were around when I was raising my teens.

Replied By: redbud73086 on Jan 17, 2013, 3:12PM - In reply to demom2012
She would definitely  be changing her tune in that case!!!

Replied By: deadright on Jan 17, 2013, 3:10PM
I grew up in the mid fifties when young people knew the difference between a date and a sex party.

At that time, young men knew they needed to take care when with girls to not put themselves in danger of being accused of improper conduct since even then it would be up to the accused to prove his innocence once the accusations were made.Somehow our society has degenerated to the point that people no longer feel the need to have secual conduct in private and it doesn't seem unusual for others to stand by while a rape or some other abuse takes place without any thought of interceding on behalf of the victim. The results are clear to see for any who wish to notice. This is why marriage has become the exception rather than the norm and our population has become overflowing with"baby daddies" and "baby mamas" rather than mother and father with the taxpayer being expected to pay to raise the results until such a time as THEY can start the process over, again.

I would be much surprised had any of the other boys in those photos had stepped in to stop the event and had to respond by force, THEY would have been the only ones charged with a criminal offense.

(it's all part of the latest:  "you have no right to self defense" so popular with the ultra left)

Replied By: nccowboy on Jan 17, 2013, 3:09PM
We are hearing so many issues like this arise over the past years. We have over the years let the media and courts raise athletes above reproach. And it has reached into our high schools. If you listen to reports about this case it is always mentioned they have a great football team...who gives a crap?  Look at the issues when athletes or coaches have never been charged and society turns its head just becasue of who they are. Just recently a group of us were laughing at how the media has recently put Ray Lewis on the level of "sainthood". I could care less how intoxicated the girl was, she is still a precious child. Let's make sure we hold the judicial process accountable . As for the mother on the show today, she has a guilt complex. Anyone to get so angry and unable to participate in civil dialog has another goal than to protect her perfect town. She refused to show any concern for the girl until Dr Phil mentioned it. Dr Phil is correct, I am a father of 2 daughters now 26 & 31 but her mother and I sat down while they were growing up and talked them through possible situations, as we all know our kids will be put in peer decision making situations now matter how much we talk with them. May God be with all these kids.

Replied By: pookerlee52 on Jan 17, 2013, 3:05PM
To the town-get your heads out of the sand and into the real world. Apparently you either are not paying attention to what your children are doing or you are doing it right along side them.  This behavior just didn't happen overnight and just didn't happen once.  You could tell that by the children's conversations.  

To the mother on stage-are you looking for fame and fortune? No one, but no one stands up for their town as you did today.  Do you go into every neighborhood in your town, or just the "safe" ones? I highly doubt you know what goes on, on a daily basis everywhere in your town.  No one does.

Showing 151-160 of total 261 Comments