2013 Shows

It’s a case that has made headlines and rattled the tight-knit city of Steubenville, Ohio: Two high school football players are accused of raping a 16-year-old girl while partying in August 2012, and some community members are accusing authorities of conducting a lax investigation in order to protect the football program. The case recently garnered national media attention after a video, showing a teenage boy joking about the rape, was leaked online by Anonymous, a loosely associated group of Internet hackers. Ma'lik Richmond and Trenton Mays, both 16, have been charged with rape and are awaiting trial as juveniles -- but some critics believe the teens should be tried as adults and that more students should be charged. Dr. Phil talks to community members about the controversial investigation and how social media is playing a part. Tune in and decide for yourself: Are city leaders trying to protect the town’s beloved football program, or is justice being served?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: drummerlove1 on Jan 17, 2013, 1:32PM
I don't understand why Dr. Phil didn't intervene while the angry blonde mom was unrighteously taking out her anger on the dark haired woman in the audience, that Dr. Phil invited to comment? I mean, really? That's how she represents her child's innocence and her town? With a defensive rant that accuses the victim? When Dr. Phil mentioned that the victim shouldn't be further victimized...that blonde chick is agreeing with him...right after launching a full-on attack against the victim!  That's the problem with people like that - they have to be right about everything.  The problem when you have to be right about everything...you contradict yourself, and then you're right about nothing.  If that woman is reading this post...get your emotions in check before you go on National TV...if you truly care about your kid and about your town, don't be an example of everything that's wrong with it.

Replied By: mandycal28 on Jan 17, 2013, 1:30PM
How could this mother on the show right now allow her child who doesnt even know what really happen come on and proclaim the rapest not alleged rapest but rapest and the blame it on this poor girl we all know what road your child will ne heading down your adisgrace of a mother

Replied By: comalady1 on Jan 17, 2013, 1:26PM - In reply to fenwaypark9
i agree with you on that mother she sounded so stupid

Replied By: ohiowitchymom on Jan 17, 2013, 1:26PM - In reply to fenwaypark9
I live in Ohio....I saw the show and I know what is going on....I tend to agree with you. Boys who play football or any sport are treated like gods and typically get away with anything...everything. Our society has placed them into this role, where they are not held accountable or responsible for their bad behaviors. Look at some of our professional football players, etc....they too are not held accountable. They are not special nor should any female have to go through this type of situation due to this bad behavior...shame...shame...shame!!!

Replied By: mrsdrjsa on Jan 17, 2013, 1:25PM
I really don't understand how the young men involved.... and they know who they are.... can go to trial as juvenilles.  I mean, throughout this country young men and women are tried as adults at much younger than 17 or 16 for various acts of violence.  These young MEN knew what they were doing.  And yes they were given alcohol by irresponsible adults (possible assist coaches) and allowed to continue to drink, drive & rape.  Is this type of activity condoned by the athletic community of BIG RED??  Just wondering because the victim was also an athlete.... so I guess since Volleyball doesn't rake in as much CASH as Football, she didn't matter.  I guess she was just a "perk" of being a football player at BIG RED.  Everyone involved in this incident is GUILTY!!  That includes the coaches, the disguisting jokers (who obviously weren't raised with respect for humans) and the perpetrators.  You saw what was happening or knew something bad was happening.... you knew it was wrong.... and you did nothing..... shame on you!!  And shame on those of you who continue to protect the guilty!!

Replied By: comalady1 on Jan 17, 2013, 1:25PM
yes i believe the authorities are protecting the foot ball team

Replied By: dragonfly7343 on Jan 17, 2013, 1:24PM
I think those kids that raped that girl need to go to jail. it was wrong for what they did. and for some of the town and some of the cops to be on the football teams side is wrong. who cares if they are football players or not they should pay for what they did to that girl. and the other people that were there should of said something or helped the girl. and for the person that filmed it is in the wrong to they should go to jail as well . how can u stand by and watch some one do that to some one. just because they are football players doesn't give then right to think they can what ever they want to some one just because 'they play football. this is so sick the world is going crazy. the parents of these kids that are being accused should be letting the police put them in jail tough love is the best way. u can be there for your kid but if they get in trouble and they are in the wrong then let them pay for what they did if u don't they will never learn from there mistakes or stand on there own two feet if mommy and daddy keep on bailing them out of trouble they will keep on doing it. what would they do if there parents were no longer around. 

Replied By: preciouspup on Jan 17, 2013, 1:21PM - In reply to onebrilliantrn
I watch Dr. Phil almost daily. I was disappointed in today's show. Not one person was there to defend or represent the VICTIM. Of course the one young man's attorney was present on this show, like he was on numerous other media shows he could get himself booked on. This attorney made sure  to let us all know that Jane Doe is not a victim because she didn't report the rape as well as getting it in there that she gave out her pass code to her phone.  Not once was it mentioned that all the young people involved created this scandal on their on by posting pics, videos and tweets on social media. Shame on Jeno's Mother for going on national television and bashing this young VICTIM and saying she is lying. Hello Jeno's Mom.....were you there? I was also taken back when DR. PHIL allowed her to shout over the lady in the audience. Once again the criminals are given more creedance over the child VICTIM. I live only 20 minutes from Steubenville so there is so much more to this story then people realize. My prayers go out to this young lady Jane Doe and to all the innocent children.

Replied By: comalady1 on Jan 17, 2013, 1:21PM
this is about the mother of the football player that says he was not at the party. She has some nerve what if the girl that was raped was her daughter what would her attitude be then. just b/c she has a son does not give her the right to condem the victim. i think that dumb woman needs to keep an open mind and just stand up for those who did the crime

Replied By: eggshell on Jan 17, 2013, 1:20PM
The problem with these teens, (and most between 16-25) is they do not accept responsiblity for their actions, they lack a moral compass and fail to realize actions have consequences. Parents who want to scream & defend their children to the point of ignorance. No one wants to ever think their child can do something horrible, but the reality is they can. You've got to be alert & yes, snoop if needed. I agree with Dr Phil, if a teen dresses like a Ho & might even behave inappropriately, its because she already has a low self esteem &/or problems in her life/home. Its easy for others to take advantage of the weak. We should be teaching our children to make the right choice by thinking carefully, no rush decisions. Everyday we are all faced with decisions......good or bad. We are tested everyday, especially as parents.

How many drunk drivers, (or DUI) are at the wheel of an accident which hurt/killed someone else and say they are innocent? They didn't mean for it to happen. Why are these lawyers/judges allowing these people to use a loop hole? They did intend for it to happen. Once they kept the keys on their person while sipping their alcohol, they are intentionally making a decision which COULD result negatively. We as a society must stop allowing excuses & ignorance to cover up bad decisions. Lets start with ourselves, then our children. Stop picking up & covering for them. Let them feel pain/hurt, etc. Yes, it'll hurt us as parents, but how will they ever learn?

Showing 211-220 of total 261 Comments