Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

In 2006, 18-year-old Alexis Sosa and his 14-year-old nephew, Jeffrey Sosa, were beaten and tortured for more than two-and-a-half hours before being shot to death; their bodies later set ablaze in a burning car. Shockingly, most of the suspects -- 10 in all -- were teenagers themselves -- including then 17-year-old Ashley Toye, the pregnant girlfriend of the alleged ringleader Kemar Johnston. A minor, Ashley was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for her role in the murders, which included carving symbols into the boys’ backs with a knife. But now, six years later, the United States Supreme Court has ruled it unconstitutional to sentence juveniles to life in prison without parole for murder without a sentencing hearing that takes into consideration their age and development. This ruling may give Ashley the opportunity for a reviewed -- and possibly reduced -- sentence. In an interview behind bars, hear the unspeakable cruelties that Ashley says happened that night and why she says she participated. Plus, her plea to the victims’ family: Is she contrite? And does she deserve a lesser sentence? The victims' family members and Ashley's parents and twin sister speak out. Plus, what does Dr. Phil think?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: ohobviously on Jan 10, 2013, 2:51PM
Her sentence is JUST!  At the age of 17, she knew the difference between right and wrong.  If she did not, she would be in a psych unit, not prison!   Committing such a heinous crime warrants a harsh punishment.

Because of her association with gang members, she absolutely knew that violence, including having to prove her loyalty by committing crimes (including murder), was part of the deal.  She got was she deserved. 

Replied By: bonesrd on Jan 10, 2013, 2:48PM
Was watching Dr. Phil and have to state that when the US Supreme Court determines a law to be unconstitional, I believe that it has also determined that if it was unconstitutional after its decision, it was before as well and all cases previous MUST be reviewed.  Constitutional rights are not to be infringed upon.  In my research, though I cannot cite the case, I recall that to be determined.  The fact that Florida's courts have not deemed the ruling to be retro active, it will, believe, prevail.

Replied By: mquarter1 on Jan 10, 2013, 2:48PM
I have watched for years and this is the first time I felt the ark was missed.  My heart breaks for the famithe victiviral victim.  First time I feel this show gave a voice to someone who did not deserve that've voice.

Replied By: canadianlaurel on Jan 10, 2013, 2:47PM
There is nothing this young woman has said that could possibly make me believe she deserves to be out of prison OR that she is truly sorry for her actions.

Many people have horrific childhoods and they don't torture and murder people.  Her saying that she is a victim just makes me sick.  I think she enjoyed it at the time.  Everything is about her.  All she had to do was call 9-1-1.

Her asking for their forgiveness is a joke.  Keep her in prison where she belongs and set an example for those who choose to act out in this way.

Replied By: larrymi on Jan 10, 2013, 2:39PM
You keep saying that actions have consequences.  Well she did the action and now she is whining about the consequence.  That killer is lucky she didnt get the death penalty.  Enough coddling.

Replied By: ladyvil on Jan 10, 2013, 2:39PM - In reply to leden2
....and I totally 100% agree!! Justice has been served!!!

Replied By: ashleyking122 on Jan 10, 2013, 2:39PM
You know what's so upsetting? The fact that we're focusing on the horrible person who witnessed, took part and didn't stop this crime, instead of the tortured and murdered victims: a FOURTEEN year old and and EIGHTEEN YEAR OLD. Jeffrey's whole life was ahead of him. How was Ashley a victim, again? SHE WASN'T. Yes, she was abused and yes, she didn't pull the trigger. But why didn't she call the police or help the boys escape? It's disgusting, Ashley has no remorse except for HERSELF. She can rot in that jail cell and be grateful she didn't get the death penalty. May God bless the Sosa family. It's horrible that we are focusing on the criminal instead of the victims.

Replied By: muffanoodle on Jan 10, 2013, 2:38PM
She was just 25 days from being 18 and this would be a done deal!!  She does not deserve anything less than she received!  She does not deserve to be resentenced, retried or released.  She was there, knew what a thug her boyfriend us, was doing drugs and didn't call the police at any point!!!  GUILTY!!!  She is where she belongs!!

Replied By: ladyvil on Jan 10, 2013, 2:38PM
Dr Phil:

This girl was not supposed to be at the party but sent her sister there to spy on her boyfriend then showed up in the flesh! I think she is where she needs to be.....sorry!

Replied By: catbox1031 on Jan 10, 2013, 2:34PM
She had two and half hours to call 911 or leave. She carved in the back of one of these victims (they are the vitims not you). Stop blaming everything on mommy and daddy, you chose to hang out with that crowd. You chose to go that night and participate. Now you will do life behind bars and the world is a better place.

Showing 81-90 of total 144 Comments