Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

In 2006, 18-year-old Alexis Sosa and his 14-year-old nephew, Jeffrey Sosa, were beaten and tortured for more than two-and-a-half hours before being shot to death; their bodies later set ablaze in a burning car. Shockingly, most of the suspects -- 10 in all -- were teenagers themselves -- including then 17-year-old Ashley Toye, the pregnant girlfriend of the alleged ringleader Kemar Johnston. A minor, Ashley was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for her role in the murders, which included carving symbols into the boys’ backs with a knife. But now, six years later, the United States Supreme Court has ruled it unconstitutional to sentence juveniles to life in prison without parole for murder without a sentencing hearing that takes into consideration their age and development. This ruling may give Ashley the opportunity for a reviewed -- and possibly reduced -- sentence. In an interview behind bars, hear the unspeakable cruelties that Ashley says happened that night and why she says she participated. Plus, her plea to the victims’ family: Is she contrite? And does she deserve a lesser sentence? The victims' family members and Ashley's parents and twin sister speak out. Plus, what does Dr. Phil think?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: neveralone1931 on Jan 10, 2013, 2:25PM
I"ve seen african americans with a worse childhood and not murder in cold blood. and I know many 12, 13 & 14 year old black kids that have gotten life for an lessor offense. She gets no special privledges cause of her skin color. If you want to recharge her, you should open up many other cases for true children who's mind could not imagine the consequenses of their actions. She knew what she was doing. She could have left anytime.  Stop blaming her boyfriend too.

Replied By: missjody on Jan 10, 2013, 2:05PM
We live in a different world now, juveniles of the last 20 years have become what I call the "daycare" generation. With continual exposure to an onslaught of violent television, movies, and computers games they have become desensitised to violence and lacking in empathy or compassion. Combine this with the erosion of the family unit, we have a bunch of lost kids devoid of humanity. With that being said, is Ashley Tore kidding?  I heard not a bit of remorse, only that she was remorseful because SHE is in prison!  A whole bunch of" poor me's" and "I am a victim" thinking does not make her remotely likable or believable. I think she should be happy that she did not get the death penalty, shut up, and take some responsibilty for her actions.

Replied By: kayelyn1 on Jan 10, 2013, 1:58PM
Ashley knew the rules. She was in a gang. She was involved. She participated. She liked it. I am a very comp
assionate person.  For the first time in my life I can t muster up any for this girl. GOD HELP HER

ANNETTE

Replied By: mstephens01 on Jan 10, 2013, 1:57PM
Dr Phil, Really??  This girl was 17 and knew exactly what she was doing.It would not suprise me to find it was her's and the black boyfriend idea to do this and forced the others to help. I have no sympathy for this evil excuse of a human. DR Phil, would you feel the same way about her deserving a second chance if it were your sons that was tortured and murdered??  
 The laws we have now gives juveniles the green light to do anything they want because they know they will get off because of their age.This needs to change and NOW! My heart goes out to the boys family

Replied By: anita83 on Jan 10, 2013, 1:51PM
I see both sides of this tragedy. I've been in a controlling and abusive relationship. I've had a distant relationship with my mother and no real relationship with my father. So as for her claiming to be "under his spell", I understand. It can be very difficult to leave a relationship like hers and before we judge her, we need to realize that we don't know if she tried to leave and if she did, what was the outcome? However, on the other hand, I can't understand how blaming her mother for her (the mothers) actions is right? Never in my life would I consider doing this to someone. And, as I stated earlier, my childhood wasn't the greatest, but I still have compassion for human life NOT TO DO SOMETHING SO MALICIOUS. And I'm certainly not using my childhood as an excuse for the mistakes I've made in my own life, as a parent, as an adult, etc. Finally, do I believe she needs to be held accountable, absolutely. Do I feel that life in prison without the possibility of parole is the right answer, not necessarily and I only say that because it's very easy for us to say what they feel and think other's deserve when it's our family, friends and loved ones have been hurt, BUT IT'S NOT ALWAYS SO EASY TO SAY WHAT OUR FAMILY, FRIENDS AND LIVED ONES DESERVE WHEN THEY ARE THE ONES HURTING OTHERS. Too many times do we find ourselves saying, "I would be ok with this, that and whatever the punishment may be for my friend, family or loved one if he/she is responsible" until that time comes and the judge gives that person a harsher sentence than expected. THEN, we start blaming the justice system of being unfair, prejudice and of course, racism. Just my thoughts.

Replied By: gtammen on Jan 10, 2013, 1:51PM
Enough sympathy for the criminals Dr. Phil. She should rot in prison.

Replied By: murblond56 on Jan 10, 2013, 1:49PM
I never heard this girl say anything about filling bad for the victoms.  Or oh I could not beleive what he was doing and she seemed to like it. I have grandsons and at almost the same age as the victoms but all I can see is she is where she needs to be. The rest of the group if they stood by while watching this happen they deserve the same. OMG I fill so bad for these boys family having to try to live with what this bunch of teens choose to do just seemingly for one fun night. I can not beleive this. So Sorry for you all. God Bless

Replied By: oceanluver66 on Jan 10, 2013, 1:48PM
NO MATTER HOW BAD SHE FEELS SHE CAN NEVER BRING THOSE BOYS BACK TO TAKE BACK THE TORTURE THEY SUFFERED WHILE SHE SAT THERE AND REVELED IN IT ! I

WONDER HOW SHE WOULD FEEL IF IT WAS HER SON THAT THIS HAPPENED TO. WOULD SHE BE FIGHITING FOR THE RELEASE OF SOMEONE WHO DID THIS TO HER OWN AS SHE IS FOR HERS ?? SHE DID THE CRIME NOW SHE HAS TO DO THE TIME. 

Replied By: adanar on Jan 10, 2013, 1:43PM
This is insane that anyone would even think that this girl deserves a second chance. She was just as involved as the rest. She should never get out and I agree with the family of the victims that she should be kept away from her child. I don't care how old she was, she is guilty. She did nothing to help stop it. She could have called for help. This is one of the most evil things I have heard in a long time. She is pure evil. she should have gotten the death penalty..... As should all the rest of them. The horrible suffering those boys went through. This is so sad. I'm so broken hearted for the family. What they must go through on a daily basis knowing the horrific details. Even her apology is all about her self.

Replied By: leden2 on Jan 10, 2013, 1:35PM
Excuses excuses, many of us come from broken, extremely disfunctional families.
Ashley should remain in jail

Showing 91-100 of total 144 Comments