Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

In 2006, 18-year-old Alexis Sosa and his 14-year-old nephew, Jeffrey Sosa, were beaten and tortured for more than two-and-a-half hours before being shot to death; their bodies later set ablaze in a burning car. Shockingly, most of the suspects -- 10 in all -- were teenagers themselves -- including then 17-year-old Ashley Toye, the pregnant girlfriend of the alleged ringleader Kemar Johnston. A minor, Ashley was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for her role in the murders, which included carving symbols into the boys’ backs with a knife. But now, six years later, the United States Supreme Court has ruled it unconstitutional to sentence juveniles to life in prison without parole for murder without a sentencing hearing that takes into consideration their age and development. This ruling may give Ashley the opportunity for a reviewed -- and possibly reduced -- sentence. In an interview behind bars, hear the unspeakable cruelties that Ashley says happened that night and why she says she participated. Plus, her plea to the victims’ family: Is she contrite? And does she deserve a lesser sentence? The victims' family members and Ashley's parents and twin sister speak out. Plus, what does Dr. Phil think?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: carobu on Jun 6, 2013, 3:32PM
It's all about her.  My poor childhood, he had me under a spell.  She seems incapable of understanding the gravity of what she took part in.  Even the sorry video was all about her and her life and what she needs to do.  Her family should be ashamed of her and call her out in how wrong she was and then maybe he could actually rehabilitate but she doesn't get that he's done any wrong he's too busy playing the victim.

Replied By: alphak555 on Mar 24, 2013, 10:26PM
This girl is a tough nut and although was 17 deserves being put away for life! She wasn't 5 and didn't know what what was happening!  Her attitude as a victim is disgusting !

Boo hoo about her child hood! There are a lot of kids that have hard lives but dont resort to torture! If the courts make excuses for everything then I can commit horrific crimes and bring up my past as an excuse! She wasn't scared of Kumar and didn't need to even be there at the time of the killing! Her choice her punishment!

Dont let her out! She blames everyone else so has not learnt! Such a horrific crime should be seen as a life long sentence!

The girl really made me sick when she kept on saying she is the victim! There are 2 dead boys and she could have stopped it by leaving and fi going the police!

Dr Phil, stop making allowanceband excuses for this type of behavior  because there needs to be a clear consequence where a murder could be prevented and you are a part of the act!

Replied By: alphak555 on Mar 24, 2013, 10:10PM
After listening to Ashley recount the events of the night the boys were murdered there is no doubt she is where she belongs! 

She should never be released as she took part in a cold blooded murder! No excuse whatsoever and if she were my child I would feel the same way!

Disgusting people!

Replied By: cvelvet on Jan 21, 2013, 8:30PM - In reply to exliberal04
This girl had no remorse when she participated in this crime-her carving was big. She may very well have been scared, but she is more sorry she was caught and has to face up to what she did, most likely high on drugs.

Every one of the animals that tortured those poor brothers should be in jail for life. Life. They are criminals and without souls. They need to stay in jail.

When you let these people out, who are not remorseful, you have problems, let me name a few that are unfortunately tied to the area where I live. Most recently,  William Spengler, who killed his grandmother with a hammer. He was put in prison. He was let out. Fast forward to now-day before Christmas, killed his Sister, set the house on fire and called in the fire. When firemen arrived they were shot at, sniper style. Two firemen were murdered and Spengler shot himself and left  a note.

If this animal had been left in jail, so much damage wouldn't have happened. This animal had mental problems to whatever degree-but killing his grandmother by his own hand, with a hammer....does this not raise flags?

Then we had the serial killer Arthur Shawcross. Killed 2 children and was put in prison. He was let out, couldn't live various places because he was driven out due to his past. He landed here. I believe it was within 2 yrs. of release he started killing prostitutes. A whole bunch of women were brutally killed-for what reason-he claims he was absued.....right. That animal should have been left in prison and all the evil wouldn't have happened.

Then we have Eric Smith-as a 13 yr. old (I think), he lured a 4 yr. old boy away and sexually abused him and killed him. Didn't express remorse. He is trying to get out of prison-and that animal needs to be kept in prison-no different from Ashely.

I know there are alot of people with stories just like mine-keep the monsters in jail. I feel so bad for Ashleys family. They lvoe her and have seen a different side to her. They hurt. She made some really bad choices, but they were her choices.

Replied By: catloverjules on Jan 21, 2013, 9:37AM
I'm from Cape Coral, Florida and remember this story very well.  It shocked everyone here to the core.  Cape Coral is a large city with a hometown feel.  It was two of our own taken down.  I am with the boys family hands down.  Ashley had plenty of opportunity to leave.  Her decision to stay...her decision to hurt the boys...her decision not to call the authorities.  How dare she ask for forgiveness from their family.  I say be the best person you can be Ashley in prison.  Take advantage of any program and participate in any way to help others.  Redeem your soul. 

Replied By: ilwu500 on Jan 19, 2013, 5:37PM
Should have sent all those guilty to The Judge-GOD

Replied By: niagwai on Jan 19, 2013, 9:23AM - In reply to eimee123
I never said I understand the boys were hurt....I said I understand the FAMILY was hurt...emotionally. I do believe I started off by saying what happened to the boys was absolutely terrile....

Replied By: exliberal04 on Jan 16, 2013, 8:23AM
After reading the other comments on this subject,  I now have a clear understanding as to why this country is in the shape it is in.  Enough said about that.

This girl deserves to be where she is.  Did she go into prison as an outstanding citizen?  Do you think she will come out as an outstanding citizen?  There are enough people that are out here on these streets who dont belong out here.  Putting someone like her back into society will in no way make this world a better place to live.  

How dare she ask the victim's family for forgiveness so that she can cope better!!!  She said she is not the 17 year old she was back then?  No, she is worse because after all of these years she is a hardened criminal now.  She has learned wonderful things in Prison.  In her message to the victim's family she did not even apologize once for her role in the crime.  She made it all about her and how she wishes it never happened.  But she never showed remorse for it happening just that she needed them to forgive her so she can move on with her life.  Do these young men get a chance to move on in life? No.  Why?  Because they are dead.  Because her boyfriend, who she loved, killed them while she stood there and watched for 2 1/2 hours as they were being tortured.  As she carved their back with a knive 8-11 times half the size of their back.  Someone that can do this is a special type and she is exactly where she belongs.

Keep one less threat to my life and my family's life locked up.  Spend my money (from my taxes) to rehabilitate someone who does not have a life sentence (someone who probably deserves to rot in prison but got off easy and will be a threat to my society).

Keep her where she belongs.

Replied By: imamosaic on Jan 14, 2013, 7:55AM
Ashley knew she wasn't hanging out with the Glee Club here before this happened.  This wasn't her first date, she was with her main squeeze. 

And what?  Oops we, shot, stabbed, poured bleach, and torched two people to death?  I hate when that happens?

With all the time in the world, sitting in prison thinking about everything, she comes to the conclusion, she's the victim???    To me, that is so over the top- as far away from the answer as she can possibly get.  Don't let her out.  Please, don't.  There is something seriously wrong with her!  Her hindsight isn't any better than her forethought.  She is young. . . but sooooo  scary.  Don't let her out, don't do it!

Replied By: k_smeby on Jan 14, 2013, 12:10AM - In reply to ashleywasabuse
Exactly!!!!No there are very few people who feel that she should be given a second chance.  I wouldn't get myself killed for anyone but The people I love. I've been at parties.. I've been so drink that I haven't remember what happened. In her interview she seems nervouS. Like she doesn't really quite remember what happened. But who the helmll would be stupid enough to admit that and get everything pinned on the n. but who knows. Only she I would know.

Showing 1-10 of total 143 Comments