Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

(Original Air Date: 01/03/13) Raylynn says in 1988, she was seduced by smooth-talking charmer Curly Thornton and joined his traveling evangelical group -- which she says she now considers a cult -- and although Curly died in 1999, Raylynn says she feels like he’s still haunting and controlling her. Raylynn says she became so wrapped up in Curly’s teachings, she gave up everything, including her car, her home and her job. She says she even moved her young daughter, Sunny, now 32, into Curly’s home and that shortly after, he changed from an inspirational leader to a fear- driven, mind-controlling abuser. How does Raylynn say she was seduced into what she calls a dark and manipulative world? What are the warning signs she may have missed? And, is she ready to let go of the guilt she says she’s been carrying around for years? Then, Sunny, now 32, reveals a secret that she’s been keeping from her mom. Does she blame her mom for what happened to her? Plus, Curly’s son speaks out publicly about his father for the first time.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: bonitaryan on Mar 27, 2014, 6:26PM
The mother states that sometimes she wonders if he really was Jesus, I think she visits this idea, because it's the only time she feels no guilt..ie: if he was right, then I've done nothing wrong.  That versus the reality keeps her feeling insane.

Replied By: kleemy on Mar 25, 2014, 10:43PM - In reply to sdtehli
Was he a counselor then?

Replied By: kleemy on Mar 25, 2014, 10:22PM - In reply to dmason22
Supposedly he had a heart condition. But it was caused by an overdose of prescription drugs.

Replied By: kleemy on Mar 25, 2014, 10:20PM
I also was involved in this ministry in the early stages. I was one of the core people helping to run it. For awhile Curly was on scripturally. He was one of the most gifted speakers I had ever heard. But I too was reading the bible and found that he was taking liberties with it. Also he was very intimidating and one was afraid to make him mad. He controlled you by making you dependent on him. It's just like his son said, it was a gradual process and then pretty soon he controlled your finances.  I left when he went from evangelist to prophet, then to the witness in revelation. I saw him manipulate people for money and hit on the women. He showed up at my apartment when he was married to his 3rd wife. I new what he was there for and sent him packing. He was so controlling! He went from bad to worse. I spent time later getting people out of his ministry. 

Curly had spiritual powers that were not of God. Because of his ministry I witnessed two demon processed women. It was frightening! What happened to Sunny was very wrong! Her mother should have protected her! Curly was evil and he destroyed many people's lives. I pray for everyone involved in his ministry. 

Replied By: john1427 on Jun 10, 2013, 1:10PM
The Lord in His kindness provides answers to your "what ifs".

May you be comforted by these scriptures that reveal what the second coming of Jesus will be like. Sudden, glorious, audible and visible to everyone!

"Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains. “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come."

Matthew 24: 4-14

"At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. See, I have told you ahead of time.“So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man." 

Matthew 24: 23-27

“Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory.And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other."

Matthew 24: 30, 31

"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come."

Matthew 24: 42

"He replied: "Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am he,' and, 'The time is near.' Do not follow them."

Luke 21:8

"He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight. They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”

Acts 1: 7-11

"For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage one another with these words."

1 Thessalonians 4: 16-18

"For you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape."

1 Thessalonians 5: 2, 3

"Look, he is coming with the clouds," and "every eye will see him, even those who pierced him"; and all peoples on earth "will mourn because of him." So shall it be! Amen."

Revelation 1:7

You both will be in my prayers,

-Cheryn

Replied By: sunnycain on Jun 8, 2013, 10:31PM - In reply to swmntman
Thank you for your kind words. I do know exactly what you are referring to and who your daughter is. I cannot imagine the horror that you went thru, coming home to an empty home that day.  I am thankful God had his hand of protection on your kids.  I have gotten my life together by the grace of God.  I pray all is well for you and your family.

blessings.

Replied By: rleebyrd on Jun 6, 2013, 10:11PM - In reply to rivkabernstein
"After all, the VAST majority of Americans believe in a higher power"

or at least hope for one 

"and the vast majority of Americans are Christian."

your source for this? (Not that I'm doubting it.)    

"This great country of ours was FOUNDED on Christian beliefs, for gawd's sake!"

your source for this? (I am doubting this one.) Not, of course, that it should make a difference in our
government's attitude toward Christianity today one way or another.  

"The minute they took prayer out of the schools, things started to go haywire."

how?   

Replied By: red88ranger on Jun 6, 2013, 12:56PM
I found a few good things to keep in mind when overcoming problems of the past in two different places:

(1) "Think About Tomorrow" a TV preacher's show that married a neighbor many years ago.

(2) Of all places, in the ending pages of a biography about Rockefeller.  "The world we can change is the world we live in, not the world of our fathers".  The biography said it in a more beautiful, polished way than what I can retrieve from memory, but the idea is essentially the same.

Replied By: ginoman2440 on Jun 5, 2013, 5:57PM - In reply to rivkabernstein
Coralouise said: "As an atheist, I've often wondered how believers know when to turn off faith and employ reason.  Yes to talking snakes, but no to chasing comets?  Yes to an unemployed wondering carpenter, but no to an illiterate Arab merchant?.  Instead of the Coliseum, their god chose to send himself to the backwaters of the Roman Empire.  Why does Dr Phil think it unreasonable for a believe to think Jesus could show up at McDonalds?  Why wouldn't he run for president?  Pat Robertson did, and he's still in business.  I'm so glad that I raised my children with reason instead of faith.  I need never fear them falling for "false" gods and prophets."

Reason is subject to the authority of God's word. Without God and his word we would have no justification for reason at all. That said if the Bible says it then it is so because God is the truth. Let me say that again... God is truth. The concept of Truth is a part of who and what God is and it is inseperable from Him. The question you have to ask yourself in evaluating talking snakes is "can God do it?" Can God make a snake or donkey talk? can he position a comet in the sky just so such that the Magi could follow it to the incarnate son? Obviously the answer is yes. God if he is God and he exists and all of us yourself included are certain he exists, can do these things.  The next thing to ask is is what is being taught or shown here consistent with God's word? in the example of the Arab merchant (I'm guessing you're talking about Muhammad, the prophet of allah) his word is not consistent and would violate God's inability to lie. I don't know that Jesus would eat at McDonalds or not.... The Bible doesn't exactly speak to that for obvious reasons. But it does say that when he comes back eating will happen in heaven with his people, not on earth from a fast food restaurant. God needs nobody to prepare his food. Also, He wouldn't run for president because he wouldn't have to. He is the king of all the earth and before he ascended into heaven he said "All authority in heaven and earth has been given to me..." He doesn't need or care to run for president. 

My final thoughts for you are that I would hope that you would not let them be inconsistent and I would hope that you can teach them to think deeply about the issues of truth and reason and how faith is a key part of the ability to justify truth and reason and morality in the first place and I hope that it leads you to repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus.

Replied By: rivkabernstein on Jun 5, 2013, 2:21PM - In reply to santacruz25
I so agree with you.  No way is religion referred to enough anymore in the media.  After all, the VAST majority of Americans believe in a higher power, and the vast majority of Americans are Christian.  I see the media's outlook these days on Christianity is beyond disrespectful.  This great country of ours was FOUNDED on Christian beliefs, for gawd's sake!  Why don't they remember this basic fact?  As a good Jewish woman (at least I try to be), I truly love Christians and am so eternally grateful for the country THEY built, and that I am allowed too live here in peace and freedom.  When I'm with a group of Christians who are praying, I feel very priveledged to be allowed to pray with them and joufully pray in the name of Jesus with them.  The minute they took prayer out of the schools, things started to go haywire.  And taking all the religion out of Christmas, not allowing religious displays?!?!!  This is beyond terrible, makes me think of Hitler.  I, for one, really miss the lovely crèches, and we just don't hear the beautiful Christmas carols like we used to.  I think with the disrespect of our main religion, the country is going to hell in a hand basket.  Thank you for your post.

Showing 1-10 of total 119 Comments