Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

The recent shooting deaths at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut have left the families of the victims devastated and the nation in shock. How can the country move forward after such heartache, and how can families who are struggling with loss get past the pain? Dr. Phil helps his guests conquer their feelings of guilt and grief to help ensure they don’t journey down an endless road of despair. Eight years ago, Julie’s mother-in-law accidentally backed her SUV over Julie’s 4-year-old son and killed him. Julie’s older daughter, Madison, who was 14 at the time, witnessed the accident and says that ever since, she has been overcome with guilt for not saving her little brother. Two years ago, Madison left home and has had little contact with her mother. A recent phone call reunited them, and Madison says she’s ready to face her feelings. Can Dr. Phil help her work through her grief, guilt and loss? Then, Greg says one night in 2009, he came home to find his 17-month-old son dead. Greg’s wife at the time, Lori, was convicted of murder and sentenced to 25 years to life in state prison. “The facts have taken place, but I don’t understand the rationale or what happened behind it,” the grieving dad says. Can Dr. Phil help Greg make peace with what happened?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: nikki71671 on Feb 2, 2013, 9:26AM - In reply to djilovec
Hi. I don't know if you located a copy of the poem yet or not, but I googled it and found what you are looking for. Here ya go!

This is the link to the words of the poem

http://www.whatjeanlikes.com/2012/12/a-very-moving-poem-re-crafted-version.html#.UQ1LhaWnL4c

I pray that you enjoy it as it was a touching poem.

Nikki

Replied By: wild88 on Jan 6, 2013, 4:44AM - In reply to fairy1952
That poem had me crying...beautiful just beautiful. I too would love the words.

Replied By: clearbanter on Dec 23, 2012, 3:09PM - In reply to grandmajacque
Amen! Yes, God does not need to be in schools. God does not determine who is good or bad. Many people who claimed to believe in  God have done horrific crimes. Remember, a good person is a good person, regardless of religious belilefs. If only we could teach that repeatedly so people believe it. Less prejudice, less pushing of one belief system over another.....just preach simple  respect and goodness.

Replied By: clearbanter on Dec 23, 2012, 3:01PM - In reply to gidget24
sorry but the family of the grieving may not be spending time on the Dr. Phil comment page. It is indeed important to educate everyone about being sensitive to religious differences. Not everyone is Christian and appreciates the religious tones of the poem regardless of its intentions to soothe those victims. Minorities need  not be silent when their beliefs are compromised or ignored.  I listen to Dr. Phil's show for inspiration, respectful advice, and fairness. He let many people down who defend the minorities.

Replied By: jdsone on Dec 23, 2012, 9:32AM - In reply to gidget24
groupthink was the issue, knowledgeable response is called support.

Replied By: gidget24 on Dec 22, 2012, 3:42PM - In reply to clearbanter
for the person who made an issue that the victims families that are not Christians may be offended by the poem.

The Poem was for them. it's not about you.

Let the families speak for themselves.. if they are offended they can think & speak themselves.
but I seriously think they are touched that this person thought enough of them to want to attempt to comfort them.

show more support

I believe that the person who wrote this poem, did so from their heart. 

I pray that those in conn. know there are many of us who will keep them in our thoughts & prayers  

Replied By: pace10 on Dec 21, 2012, 10:43PM
Thank you Dr. Phil for the moving poem you read at the end of the show. I was finally able to shed bottled up tears about this tragedy.

I was wondering, you said that you would be talking a lot on your website about what to say if you run into someone at the grocery store who has just suffered a loss, but I didn't really find much. Where is it on your website?

Replied By: fairy1952 on Dec 21, 2012, 10:42PM - In reply to pace10
I was so moved by the poem read at the end of the show, how can I get the words to that poem

Replied By: kvengazo on Dec 21, 2012, 7:24PM
I, too, was touched by the poem that Dr. Phil and Robin read.  I would like to know how to get a copy of it.  Can it be posted on the web site?

Replied By: jdsone on Dec 21, 2012, 5:38PM - In reply to suzyshipe
Who is the THEY to whom you refer?

Showing 1-10 of total 130 Comments