Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

In the aftermath of the recent elementary school shooting in Connecticut that authorities say left at least 20 children, six adults and the gunman dead, many questions remain: Could this tragedy have been prevented, and how can we keep it from happening again? And, how can the families of the victims and the young children who witnessed the shooting cope with such a trauma? Dr. Phil goes behind the headlines in the shooting and offers advice to families who might be struggling to talk to their children about such a senseless act of violence.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: jennypea on May 16, 2013, 6:49PM
The mind boggles!  I am sitting here, working from home because I have a cold, watching your show about children grieving after mass shootings.  It's a little out of date because we get the show a bit late in New Zealand. I just listened to the interview Dr Phil had with a mother of a child who witnessed his teacher being shot.  She was explaining how she had, prior to the shooting, prepared her little one with instructions of what to do if he should ever encounter a gunman. It's great she had done this, because the little boy knew what to do and survived.  However, it occured to mehow different the mind state is between Americans and most of the rest of the developed world.  It would never, ever cross the minds of New Zealand parents to have a chat with their children about "gunman danger".  This is because it would be so unusual an occurance that a mass shooting would happen here.  I can only think of one, in my lifetime. It's not because New Zealand is a less violent place than the US.  We simply don't all carry guns.  The only people who use guns are hunters.  I realise it's supposed to be your constitutional right to bear arms, or something, but it just seems like insanity to an outsider.  I'm pretty sure that part of your constitution was there so you could defend yourselves against a government that abused its authority, or something, wasn't it?  I'm pretty sure the people who came up with that idea, wouldn't have if they knew you'd end up using them on each other.  Owning a gun, or multiple guns, isn't normal.  Mass shootings aren't normal.  If your country has got to the point it sees this sort of thing as some sort of unfortunate event that just happens, you have seriously lost your way.  How can you believe you have a right to have a gun but don't believe everyone has a right to access healthcare?  Coming from a country where the situation is the opposite, we get healthcare free and don't carry guns, it seems quite frightening.  Maybe it's time to admit you might be wrong and make a change as a nation???  We do it as individuals - that's how we grow. 

Cheers

J

Replied By: jtabler on Dec 20, 2012, 6:10PM
The horrific tragedy in Newtown CT, has touched the world.  I live in Canada and have been praying and crying for all the 20 children that were lost before their lives could really begin.  I pray for the loss of teachers, the principal and the deep sorrow of the whole community.  My heart goes out to the parents that have lost their beloved babies and to the families and children that have lost friends and neighbours.  To the first responders who will never forget. You can't make any sense out of these horrible events.  Please know that you are not alone, the world is grieving with you.  God's blessings for you all.

Replied By: from2to4in on Dec 20, 2012, 5:28PM
HI, I was curious why Nancy Lanza's name was not on the list of names scrolling at the end of the show.  She, too, was a victim.  Was she not?  I am just wondering why she is not included in anyones count.  

Replied By: carie_79 on Dec 19, 2012, 9:06AM
Hi Dr. Phil,

First I want to say you are a wonderful man and I am very happy that you were able and willing to help those families involved. This tragic event has broken my heart. As a mother of a 4 and 6 year old, I couldn't imagine this happening. I find myself fearing for my children and I am in ontario, Canada.

My 6 year old asked me why the school flag was lowered half way.  She thought it fell down.  I took the time to explain to her what happened, not in detail of course, and that having the flag at half mass was our way of showing respect to those who didn't make it.  I know all flags in the US have been lowered (well, I've heard in news), and just wanted to let you know that our schools flag is also at half mass.

My sympathy goes out to all the families directly involved who won't be able to share Christmas with their loved ones as well as the families of those who had to watch this all unfold. I was at my daughters christmas concert yesterday...we were all in the gym, the kids were singing christmas carols and I actually teared up as all I kept thinking was there are parents/grandparents/siblings out there that do not have the option of watching their children sing.   It breaks my heart! 

God bless those angels in heaven now and their families.

Replied By: romaniukmoore on Dec 19, 2012, 6:12AM - In reply to samonde
I too pray this poem will bring some comfort to all the families. My prayers go out to them all. God Bless you.

Replied By: thrego on Dec 18, 2012, 10:06PM
Thank you for your show today.  I live in Oklahoma, I do not know any of these precious people in Newtown, but if my heart hurts this bad, I cannot imagine what they are going through.  I thank you for being there and helping them know what is normal, how to deal with answering questions with the children and your advice.  You helped me too.

Replied By: ambarsharma356 on Dec 18, 2012, 9:46PM
Shapepoundscan be ainadequate indicator of fatness in productivepersons. Adjustments in fatis usuallyresulting from fluid losses as sweat, foodsneverthelesscurrently being digested from thevery lastmeal and modificationswhile in theamount of muscle mass glycogen (each individual gram of glycogen is stored with close to3 g of water). Considering thatinstruction, especiallypoundscoaching, will increasemuscle mass mass, skinfold measurements can be abetterguide to fatness than human bodyexcess weight. If you arecoaching2 or moreinstancesper day, shifts of fluid and glycogen shopsmay end up in everydayweight fluctuations of around2 kg.

Replied By: graciec1937 on Dec 18, 2012, 9:00PM - In reply to bev1001
While that was a beautiful tribute to the tragic loss of his son, the song played on 12-18 was "Morning Prayer" by Jason Gould.  (Son of Barbra Streisand and Elliott Gould.)

Replied By: nofiction on Dec 18, 2012, 8:45PM
I will tell you what I think. No one does anything until it is to late. The children that commit these horrible crimes do show warning signs, but no one listens or cares. My family has been trying to get help to protect our granddaughter from her young molesters. Our county knows these boys have problems but no one will do anything. They have molested, killed aninmals, drank their blood and threatened our granddaughter with a knife. They say they can't do anything until something else happens. These boys need help as well as stopped from doing anything else. I am sure now it will take something like murder before anything is done. That is why such nightmares will continue because our legal system,society as well as CPS won't and don't do anything until it is to late. My heart goes out to all the victims and their families. I just hope we  all try to do what we can to stop this.

Replied By: rose9289 on Dec 18, 2012, 8:34PM
Thank you for this show. You helped me. My 3 children were in the Aurora movie theatre tragedy. When I heard the parents today talking about how they try to think about what was going on in the room, in the minds of the teachers, in the minds of the kids (trying to replay what they thought it was like), I heard myself talking. The comment that stood out the most to me was about how when everything calms down and some time passes, the silence is deafening. This is so true. It's also though when another tragedy strikes. It opens the wounds to the past tragedy and the nightmares and breakdowns start up again. We are healing slowly, but we will get there. This is my wish for all the families at Sandy Hook. My thoughts and prayers are with them. They have a long battle ahead of them.

Showing 1-10 of total 46 Comments