Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

From the outside, Lisa and David may look like the perfect couple, but Lisa says she’s hiding a dark secret from the world -- she has been suffering from bulimia for the past eight years and binges and purges as many as 10 to 15 times a day. She admits that her eating disorder continued while she was pregnant with her now 2-year-old son, Tobias, which she believes may have caused him to stop breathing for minutes after he was born. Now, 12 weeks pregnant with her second child, Lisa says her bulimia is out of control, and she’s afraid for her unborn child’s life. David says he’s tried everything to help his wife, but reveals that her self-destruction has taken a turn for the worse. David says Lisa has also been smoking, drinking and even cutting herself. What’s behind Lisa’s dangerous decisions? Can Dr. Phil help Lisa -- and her unborn baby -- before it’s too late? Then, Doreen, 26, says she realized she was gay at a young age and that her mother, Diane, doesn’t accept her relationship with her girlfriend, Ana. Diane says she blames softball for Doreen's "choice" to be gay, and it makes her sick to her stomach. Can Dr. Phil help build a bridge of acceptance?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: donnafan on Sep 19, 2013, 3:09PM

Just the other day, I signed up to do an education on internet safety with my daughters girl scout troop.  The girls are 9, 10 and 11 years old.  They already know more then I know about hte internet.  I am looking for ideas. 

I would like to think that I could make a difference in the girls lives, and that what I say will have a long lasting affect.  I don't know that the parents would be there....But what are some good ideas and good ways to teach these girls to respect themselves enough to be safe.....

Todays program, touched my heart, as I realized how uninformed I am...How informed they are....Crying for both families on todays program. 

Please offer me some advice on how to reach these children...

Donna

Replied By: strine on Jun 19, 2013, 9:47PM
The mother implies that lesbians are not ladylike or even "perfect girls". Her mother has no idea. I too was molested by a man as a child, played both soccer and softball and have only ever been attracted to boys and men- I now have two kids with a wonderful man. I had a lesbian friend who I found out as an adult was attracted to me, I would have laughed if she told me that as a kid. She has a partner now and a gorgeous little girl who they both dote on and enrich her life with travel and educational experiences. Amazing parents and her daughter can still be a parent one day if she wants. Please love your daughter and stop looking for someone to blame and trying to change her. Life's too short.

Replied By: strine on Jun 19, 2013, 9:40PM - In reply to reyesred
You obviously have never heard of all the heterosexual people dying in Africa of AIDS. You have obviously never heard of their children orphaned due to that disease which ran rampant through Africa due to the religious people teaching the "uncivilised people" not to use condoms. You do come across as a bigot blinded by hate by the way. You need help.

Replied By: salsafina on May 26, 2013, 12:15PM
I had recorded this particular show and just sat down and watched it today.  It is unfortunate that the mother of Doreen has such strong beliefs that signing her daughter for softball is what caused her to be attracted to a girl on the softball team, and she wishes she had never signed her up for softball, she wouldn't be in this situation.  

Well I  have 4 children, 3 boys and 1 girl, one day many years ago, my son asked to talk to me, this went on for several weeks, and since i had two sets of family older children and younger ones, I had a hard time finding the time to sit down.  So I toldl my son if he wanted to talk to me he had to get in the car as I had to go pick up my daughter for t-ball practice.  He sat and told me that he was gay.  I guess in my my mind I always had a feeling.  He had tried going out with girls, and at one point he had the most wonderful/beautiful girlfriend you would want for your son.  He broke it off with her and he told me that because he was unhappy.  It didn't take me very long to figure out what he meant by that.  Anyway, I told my son then, that I still loved him very much and that he was still my wonderful son that I had always known he was.  I wanted him to carry himself with a lot of dignity and respect and this is the same thing that I would tell all my children whether gay or straight.  My son was a junior in college, and in the years since this happened, I have been a part of the most wonderful relationship that a mother and son would have.  I cannot imagine me rejected him or his lifestyle.   My son moved from California to Washington DC and there he acquired the most wonderful group of friends, and subsequently all us mothers met, one wonderful Mothers Day back in 2007, they flew us all into Washington DC to spend the most wonderful weekend that as a Mother I could ever hope for, with our beautifu/wonderful sons.   I have learned to live my life to the fullest being around these very intellegent sons.  I would not trade it for the world.  

The thank God everyday for my life, i know that being gay is against all the teachings of the church, I love my beliefs and religion, but I love my son more.  When I need a hug, my son is the one that is here to hug me, along with my other children.  Like I said before, I truly sit here and thank God for my wonderful life.

Thank you for letting me sound off, hopefully Doreen will get there one day.

Replied By: lucindagh on Apr 8, 2013, 7:50AM - In reply to stacey26
I agree with you completely. In fact, as I listened it seemed that Dr. Phil was giving the mom much ammunition to continue with her mindset and prejudice. He said that as a Christian he respects her views, that some who are ex-gay were just confused and might not have been gay, that molestation can change a person, and on and on. I too noticed a lack of support for the daughter.

Replied By: lucindagh on Apr 8, 2013, 7:41AM
Dr. Phil really missed the mark on this one. The pain the daughter has experienced was so very evident. She has been verbally and emotionally abused by her mother since she played softball at the age of 11. It is now many years later and she has had a 10 year relationship with the love of her life, a woman she intends to marry. While Dr. Phil advises women in abusive relationships with men to get out of those relationships, he advises this young woman to stay in relationship with her mom. What that mother has done and continues to do erodes the very core of this young woman. Why is that not seen as the harmful abuse it is?

Replied By: KateBauer on Apr 7, 2013, 5:17PM
Please love your daughter as she is not what you want her to be.  If Jasmine has found true love you should accept it and be happy for her.  Our daugher was married for 9 years to a homosexual.  He married her to hide behind her; for his parents who never would have accepted him. He hid it well from all except our daughter.   It wasted her best years and I doubt she will ever trust another man.  When consulting adults choose a partner it should be no one else's business.  Religion makes me ill with all the rules that cause hate, unacceptance, and misery.  I don't understand homosexuality but respect those who are and do not judge them.  They are born not created.  I don't think GOD makes mistakes.

Replied By: sorenreece on Apr 6, 2013, 12:54PM - In reply to shirleydb123
.. God Bless Dr. Phil, He is such a saint.

Replied By: elonwy on Apr 5, 2013, 7:02PM - In reply to reyesred
I am truly sorry that you do not understand the words of the Bible.  I wish they could be explained in simple terms that even you could comprehend but I believe that you see hate in everything around you and hateful eyes are blind to love.

I read the Bible every day and am blessed to see it as a book of love and acceptance.  I believe the words of the Apostle Paul when he says that the Laws of Leviticus were truly sins and that we are not to follow those laws.  If they were antiquated back then - in the words of Paul and of Jesus I agree that we have evolved past them.

I encourage you to get further into the Bible with some help if you can and read Galations where it will all be explained that we do not follow those rules or we will live a cursed life.  I hope you don't lead a cursed life and that you can find someone to help you understand that the Bible tells us that homosexuality was once considered a sin but is no more - just like hair cuts and farming. 

I fear that you are one of the Christians that try to define marriage for the rest of the world without understanding that marriage pre-dates Christianity and that you have no claim to define it for anyone.

Blessings in the name of Jesus.  I will pray for your soul.

Replied By: stacey26 on Apr 5, 2013, 4:39PM
Hi Dr. Phil, I've followed you since you were on Oprah and have never written before.  I was surprised that you did not more actively support Doreen as a lesbian.  I would have expected you to help her to see there is nothing wrong with her.  I fully agree that she needs therapy for her molestation, but it almost seemed like you were agreeing with her mother that therapy would "cure" her, which is not like you!  I reaiize it may take time for her mother to come to support her daughter, but I was surprised you did not tell Doreen that she fully deserves her mother's support.  I realize you told her mother she was wrong, but I get the sense Doreen would have left that show feeling less than supported for who she is.  I thought her relationship, which she has been in for 10 years, was treated with little regard.  I am a straight, married, Christian woman.  I am dismayed that in this day and age we continue to discrimate against lesbians and gays.

Showing 1-10 of total 304 Comments