Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

(Original Air Date: 12/10/12) Do you know a mama’s boy who can’t cut the cord with his overbearing mom? In the new movie, The Guilt Trip, out now, comedian Seth Rogen plays Andy, a man guilted into driving cross-country with his domineering mom, Joyce, played by legendary singer and actress Barbra Streisand. Andy, who is at first aggravated by Joyce’s smothering, comes to discover that they have more in common than he thought. Dr. Phil sits down with Barbra and Seth to discuss the film and their impressive careers. What similarities do the stars say their roles had with their real-life relationships? And, why were they drawn to this film? Plus, watch newly-added interview footage! Then, Joe says his stepson, Rendall, is a 25-year-old mama’s boy who is currently funding his college education with a $50,000 loan, which Joe’s wife, Barb, co-signed on. Rendall insists that he’s not taking advantage of his mom. Currently unemployed, does he have plans to pay back the loan, or will he let his mom foot the bill? Can Dr. Phil help Rendall get traction to succeed on his own?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: paintedlife on Dec 24, 2012, 3:14PM
Enjoyed Dr. Phil interviewing Barbara and Seth, until I heard a statement he made - "Noone loves you more than your mother or wants the best for you". (This is as close as I can remember word for word). I struggle when I hear someone make such broad statements, especially a trained professional like Dr. Phil. This statement really hit a cord with me as I can honestly say this does not apply to me and my mother. At 45 years old and her 65 years old, I've rarely felt genuine love from my mother. Just this past summer, I turned to her for support at the most, without a doubt, painful and heart-wrencking time in my life. To be totally honest, I was contemplating whether I wanted to keep living or not due to a serious state of depression. I shared with her how hopeless I felt, and just at a complete loss to find any reason to keep going. To the outside world, my life seems pretty good - educated, good job, own home, financially stable, no addictions. But my relationship with my moter just cuts my heart in two. She was the only person I turned at this critical time, and after talking on the phone for about 15 minutes, someone came to her door and she said good bye to me  so she could answer the door. It's now 4 months later, and she has never called to see how I am doing. And, we live less than 10 minutes away from each other.

So, please Dr. Phil, don't make broad statements like "Noone loves you more than your mother does". That is just not accurate as I can atest to from my own experience. It's Christmas eve, and I have not had any contact with my mother since that last phone call. I cannot bring myself to act like her not showing care and concern for her own child hasn't impacted me. Not all mothers are created equal, nor does every mother deserve to be forgiven for being so cruel, with absolutely no regard for her child's well-being.

This is a person who has been in AA for over 20 years, has helped numerous uncountable people who have also been dealing with alcohol like she has. But to not show even a silver of similar concern for her own daughter - please - trust me - not all mothers are created eqaul.

Replied By: terrie62 on Dec 24, 2012, 7:45AM
I dont usually post on message boards. I am watching the Mama's boys,
episode. I am so enjoying the interview with Barbara Streisand! I just have
to say it was one of the best episodes I have seen. I can't wait to see The
Guilt Trip. I wanted to see it before but now even more :). Barbra and Seth
seem like such warm,loving, normal people. It was hard to imagine they are so
famous. Very good show I enjoyed this one so much :)

Replied By: countrygal1 on Dec 23, 2012, 5:16PM
Hello Dr. Phil and Robin, I have so much sorrow for the small victims,other victims, and others that were in the Sandy Hook School that Friday. My heart was broken to know someone could do that. I feel the little ones are in Gods hands but tthey did not derserve to die at such a young ade neither did the others especially this close to the Holidays. I feel for all of the families even the shooters family. I have a grown son Brandon 24 and a younger son Jordan 12 and all I wanted to do is be with them and my Daughter in law on that day so I was. We feel Blessed to have them in our lives. I know yall feel the same way especially us Moms. Well I hope you and your family has a great Christmas and a better New Year too I hope to have great ones too. I am a big fan of the show keep up the good work. Thanks. your fan and friend. Donna Carter

Replied By: stargazer225 on Dec 11, 2012, 10:36AM
And I cried in that scene where Barbra Streisand told Seth Rogan, "You will treat me with respect." Amen.  I've had those moments with my boys and it really is such a strange dynamic because you think they are SO fabulous, but there comes a day when they will disrespect you and that is unacceptable.  I loved seeing that portrayed.  You can hear the love and pain in Barbra's voice when she says it.  Can't wait to see the movie.  I have a Seth of my own, so I'm partial to Seth Rogan.

Replied By: papergirl22 on Dec 11, 2012, 6:59AM
I can't BELIEVE no one on this board has jumped on the fact that this obviously educated, 25 year old HEALTHY MAN is collecting unemployment to fund his "dream" of becoming an actor/entertainer. WE THE TAXPAYERS ARE FUNDING THIS!!! Rendall admitted it with pride....he is paying back the $50,000 loan with YOUR tax dollars!!!!

This is absolutely insanity. Talk about unemployment fraud!!!

Replied By: dianepue on Dec 11, 2012, 12:19AM
I enjoyed the show so much with Barbra S.! She has always been such a brilliant actress...able to play humorous and dramatic parts perfectly....and she makes everyone else look good! Can't wait to go see this movie! As for adult son's who can't transition into mature men without their mother's......I have such mixed feelings. The mother who cosigned for 50,000 dollars I felt sorry for because she is so desperately trying to hang onto her son. I think the dynamic between mothers and sons is very different than between mothers and daughters. I think instead of asking, pleading and being overly generous and giving to sons, moms ought to lay down the expectations of being given to by their adult sons! Tell them our expectations.....to call mother every week....make sure to remember mother on her birthday, Mother's day etc.....and it wouldn't hurt him to stop by and help mother every so often. Men and boys do much better when things are told to them what the mother expects. And tell the sons that they better show RESPECT because that is what the mother shows him! I watched my parents with my half brothers go thru such misery trying to hang onto them....and to shower them with gifts and help, and what did it get them? Less respect, mooching off of them during their retirement years, and not showing empathy as the parents got older and more and more frail. You would think being nicer and more giving might make grown sons to be more appreciative, but it always backfires! If you raise the boys to understand the expectations, everyone ends up being happy and loving. It's never too late to change! This was such a great show !

Replied By: tbonet on Dec 10, 2012, 7:28PM
First and foremost, I love Barbra Streisand.  She is a multi talented person.  She says she does not like to say that she strives for  perfection, To me she is perfect.   I have grown up with her music and her movies, love them all.   She is a brillant director and producer.   Whomever bullied her I hope as their head buried in cow manure now.  You just never know what a person will become.   My favorite part of the interview was the part with the Spanish Teacher Mrs. Tomas.   I played that over and over about 15 times. LOL LOL LOL   Barbra will never know what an impact she has made on so many lives.   I admire the way she is an Original.  She is true to every part of who she is.  I can go on and on.  I think that when Barbara sings the heavens stop to listen.  Incrediable voice.  God blessed her big time. ..  Seth,  he made me laugh too.   I found him to be hilarious.   I will look forward to more of his work.   It was nice to come home and laugh.    LOVE IT.  Thank you Dr. Phil.

Replied By: jazziesmiles on Dec 10, 2012, 7:15PM
I just watched the show about the movie guilt trip. WoW! I myself finally just before Thanksgiving stood up for myself and said enough! I have for the last year been what I called bullied by my adult son. I always would say to myself he is under stress or it will get better if I just do this or when he get's through this I will say no more. Well each of those came and went but I kept saying yes and taking it. It never failed I was the cause of all his problems or a terrible mom for not teaching him how to do this or that. He would lose it screaming and yelling over the phone with me. He is in a job that is very stressful. I even used that as a excuse. But finally he was out and on his way in life but still saying and doing means things. I was ashamed of what was going on and felt a failure in raising my son and being a parent. So I told no one but just cried and prayed about it. Each time things would get better until something in his life went wrong. When he was younger I could use I am the parent and I made the rules of the house. But after a bad divorce causing us to lose our home and I became disabled because of an accident. I was now not the parent he wanted anymore as he said. So he has major resentments towards all that and lets me know all the time. Well three weeks ago he blew up on the phone about his car and money this time. I said no I would not help that he is capable of fixing it or just dealing with it. I had it and thought if he was here and not in another state I would have feared him more but I had the distance now to just say no more. I didn't here from him until a few days before Thanksgiving. He just sent a text saying he is coming to get some of his stuff on Thanksgiving. I said nope I will not be home. I just said you can come over the weekend. Well then he said I will come on Thanksgiving only if I can come home that night and stay to get my stuff. This is his normal manipulation to get what he wants. I said no I don't want you at Thanksgiving after what has happened which I have never done. I am the typical mom keep everything cool so we have that great family gathering. But I would be suffering the whole time. I told him I will not be disrespected or yelled at anymore that no one should be treated like this and especially a mom. He sent well I guess you won't here from me for months then. Normal threat from him. I didn't answer. Well Thanksgiving Day came. That morning I got a text he is on the way and he is coming to Thanksgiving. I said no. Well he showed up anyway. I enjoyed myself and dealt with my mixed emotions that day. He came home got his stuff and left. I don't call him now even to tell him something very important that has happened to me. I don't feel any empathy from him about my health or anything that goes on in my life. He will call me if he needs a document to forward in the mail. He is very hurtful still. He said at the end of the conversation "Wow this is boring I go to go!" after calling me to ask to forward a letter that is suppose to come to him this week. I use to try to talk about it or whatever was going on between us but now I just let it go. I feel he is really miserable in his choice of career and life right now. So anything just causes stress and he was using me as that outlet. No more! This is the hardest thing I have ever done concerning my son but I feel better in a weird way less stressed. I am not waiting for the next call from him and what he is going to say or do. It's so hard especially being my only child. I do have a supportive close family member I have told that have seen all terrible emails, texts and voice mails from him. It is the best thing to let someone know what is going on. They give you strength and support which is so needed.

Replied By: kquesenberry on Dec 10, 2012, 6:53PM - In reply to dizzyw1958
That is what the movie is about! I sent a txt to my 21-yr old son that I wanted a "date night" with him for my Christmas present.

I did date nights with him all through his life where we would go to dinner, see a movie & buy him a book at Books A Million (he learned how to open the door for a lady, seat a lady at the table, check into a motel, and pay by credit card or cash). We lived 45 miles away from a theater and the rest, so we would stay in a motel for the night. We would talk about the movie, read our books, and be together.

Alex & I haven't had a "date night" since he moved ot 1 year ago.

That is what I want to tell you---have a "date night" with your child/children to go see the movie. To be honest, I'm making my son pay for the movie this time. I txt him earlier & told him that's what I want for Christmas, & I'll cook dinner.

Replied By: wmcamom on Dec 10, 2012, 6:47PM
I have been very depressed lately due to my two adult children using their father and I, being blamed and chewed out whenever anything in their lives are not going well. Hearing Barbra talking about feeling like she was being kicked in her teeth by her son and finally getting fed up made me realize it I am not alone and that it is okay to stand up and say enough. I think a lot of parents deal with this but don't talk about it because of embarrassment. Thanks for the encouragement. What an upbeat show

Showing 1-10 of total 25 Comments