Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

It’s a topic that makes many moms and dads run for cover, but explaining “the birds and the bees” is a conversation every parent needs to have with their kids. When is the right time and how do you do it in an age-appropriate way? Deanne says she has no clue how to have the "sex talk" with her 12-year-old daughter. Dr. Phil and Dr. John Chirban, author of How to Talk with Your Kids about Sex, give her -- and you -- the sex talk dos and don’ts. Then, John and Julie say it’s too late to have the important talk with their 15-year-old daughter, who they recently discovered is sexually active. They want to know: What do they do now? Should they put her on birth control? And, what do you do if your teen daughter is boy crazy and wants to dress sexy? Dina says she was shocked to discover what her 14-year-old daughter was doing to get attention from the opposite sex. Find out why the teen says she has to use her body to attract boys. Plus, kids ask Dr. Phil their own -- sometimes hilarious -- questions! For answers to all your sex talk questions, tune in!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: strine on Mar 18, 2013, 9:13PM
Why does Dr Phil insist on calling men in their 20's "boys"? That girl was 15 riding in a car with two adult males, not two boys i.e. there is omething wrong with it. Those guys are only giving her attention for one reason and I hope she doesn't regret being treated like a piece of garbage when she's older.

Replied By: alphak555 on Mar 18, 2013, 8:01PM
12 is too late to start talking to kids about sex especially girls! Sex talk should be part of a child's upbringing!  Even at a young age if the opportunity arises like when watching tv , a parent can comment about age appropriate sex topics to establish an open dialogue concerning sex! I always made age appropriate comments in passing of morality, what is right and wrong,etc.etc! If parents feel open and confident and not embarrassed about sex related issues and have been open and honest , within reason,  while the child is growing up then there is no need for a sex talk which would be so uncomfortable if it come out of the blue!

I disagree with dr Phil regarding the parents and their wayward daughter! He doesn't have a clue about girls that are strong willed and determined to do what they want!  Not even dr Phil would be able to control one of these girls and a talk about feelings won't stop the desire for attention these girls crave! A parent can't provide the same thrill that a person from  the opposite sex can provide!

By the way, dr Phil berated the parents for not asking him "what can I do to change the situation?"!  What the hell? Dr Psake bought up the father slapping the girl, the mother threatening to put the girl in foster care and other things they had done which  would feel like being attacked by dr Phil  and the parents really seemed like good loving parents! When did they have a chance to ask what they could do in between the attacks and bringing up thingsthey had done when their daughter was out of control!  The poor parents!

Replied By: cindy_kaye on Dec 10, 2012, 6:24AM
Dr. Phil-
I record your shows while I'm at work so I can watch them when I have time...I have just finished watching the 12/6 show "How to Talk to Your Kids About Sex" and I too agree that it starts from the very beginning...I raised my son on my own and he just turned 28...he married last year in July and he and his wife are expecting their first baby in April...I'm sure you remember when the dinasaur movie with Little Foot came out and one of the restaurants were giving away the dinasaur's in their "children's meal".  We were in the car, my son sitting in the back seat and he held up Little Foot and the other dinasaur (I can't remember which one) underneath Little Foot and he said "Look mom, Little Foot's having a baby"...I think he was all of 3 at the time(he was still in a car seat)...I never pushed it on him, but anytime he asked me a question, I was always honest with him.  I bought condoms when he was in high school, and let him know I was not supporting him having sex, but wanted him to be responsible and safe IF that was the direction his relationship went.  When my son married in July 2011 he honored me at the reception by standing up in front of all the guests and thanked me for everything and and stated "because of you I know the value of a woman"...I am very blessed and truly believe that knowledge is power...and what you reap is what you sow.  Trying to hide the truth from our children never works, as they are much smarter than any of us ever give them credit for.

Replied By: prettycoolgirl on Dec 10, 2012, 1:59AM - In reply to guytar49
I agree they do however Europeans have always been much more liberal about sexuality. We americans tend to have very rigid beliefs and very ultraconservative thoughts about sexuality. Europeans show it on tv they don't censor as much as america does. I remember a boyfriend of mine told me he was in Bulgaria and there was a commercial with a topless girl drinking orange juice and I asked what did you think of that commercial. His response was that he wanted to go buy orange juice if it's that good, which totally made me laugh. This is just one example of how the world's countries have such different views about human sexuality.

Replied By: prettycoolgirl on Dec 10, 2012, 1:53AM - In reply to dnymarilyn
Whether parents take their kids to church or not has nothing to do with situation. Honestly people always put religion and sex together and it has no place in this situation in my opinion. There are studies that show that there are more teen pregnancies and divorces among conservative christian households, than liberal households as I put it. I have read the scientific studies and studied psychology also and this happens to be very true. Studies have also shown that if parents actually talk with their teens regarding sex the less likely their teens will actually have sex. The more information that is readily available the more they will not be so naive about such things. There are too many risks for for STD's  and that they need to be very educated about what is going on. Read the stats in your county I am sure certain std's are on the rise there. The CDC has given statistical reports about what diseases are on the rise nation wide. If you keep them in the dark they won't know anything. Raising a child with good values whether they are religious are not depends on the parent not a church. Religions always try to make a person feel guilty about sex which to me is horrific and promotes rigid thinking. Values come from what the parent has learned in his or her life and what they wish to pass on to their children, if it's church values then that is their business do not judge people because they don't go to church that doesn't mean their kids won't come out well. Religion isn't for everyone and not everyone is christian either, but their values can be just as strong or stronger.

Replied By: fit1fifty on Dec 8, 2012, 4:54PM
My son did not ask me about sex.  I had to gently bring up the conversation and it started when he was about 11.  I asked him if he had any questions and said there was a lot of information out there and some of it was not true, especially from other kids. 

One of the very best ways I talked with him was when we would take our dog for a walk, which we did nightly.  Walking was great because you don't need direct eye contact and he would feel comfortable telling me what was going on in his life and started asking questions without as much embarrassment. 

Sometimes he would get embarrassed and we would let the moment pass.  Then I would say, "Son, I know this is a difficult subject but I think it is important that you know this information".  I went with his comfort level, I was direct and did not over-detail.

Replied By: tallbecks on Dec 8, 2012, 12:57AM
This show should have been called "HOW TO TALK TO YOUR DAUGHTER ABOUT SEX". I was looking forward to this show to maybe get some ideas on how to talk to my son about sex. I was VERY DISAPPOINTED that you did not have a single family with a boy on the show and that you didn't even bring up anything about boys and sex. Then again, I should not be too surprised since you hardly ever have shows like this that involve boys unless you are bringing them on bc they got a girl pregnant and you are telling them to "keep it in their pants" or make them look like the "bad one" in a teen pregnancy situation and the girls were the ones being taken advantage of. I'm getting tired of this and you are starting to loose credibility with me.

Replied By: dnymarilyn on Dec 7, 2012, 9:47AM
I think the couples that were on the show have tried to be good parents.  But what's missing in their home is the Gospel training.  They haven't been living the Gospel  and teaching moral behavior either.  No Praying etc.  Children need to be taught early in life to attend church, be around children that are being raised regliously that have the right thoughts, close to their Father in Heaven.  Families that Pray together, stay together and usually have good children, in otherwords, they need to have a God Centered home. I was raised in that kind of home, a Latter-Day Saint home.  That daughter that was constantly trying to attract
 boys needs to go to a place and learn to stop thinking of boys and learn to live and teach her activities that are fun and fun with people, and learn what life is really all about.

A lot of parents don't go to church and take their children.  Since 1940's parents don't attend a church and don't have any religious training in their home.....then they wonder why their children act the way they do. 
And now they are getting the "sense of Entitlement" and spoil their kids and teach their children to be mean, selfish etc.  It's a growing problem.      

Replied By: emilybelmomof3 on Dec 6, 2012, 4:09PM
i just watched the show since I had it DVRd and it took a long time for dr phill to say that is no longer a one talk but an ongoing conversation. my kids are 5, 3, 3, and I talk to them about sex or body parts or whatevet thry ask, always age apptopriate, but Im not planning a sit down convetsation. Very good show this was, i felt sorry for the first family, i hope they get the help they need.

Replied By: corblimey on Dec 6, 2012, 11:34AM - In reply to centralflamom
Very well said. Regardless of how well we parent,  our children are surrounded by sex and sexual topics all day every day. We have to keep an ongoing dialogue. I used to talk to my daughter and my son as we were driving in the car. That way they were a captive audience LOL!

Showing 1-10 of total 48 Comments