Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

(Original Air Date: 11/30/12) Dr. Phil’s guests say they fell victim to a catfish -- a person who creates a false ID on the Internet in the hopes of luring people into romantic relationships. Devon says she fell in love with a man named David, whom she met online, and then spent nearly three years planning their future together -- without ever meeting him in person. She says they talked and texted every day for hours and exchanged photos, but every time they attempted to meet, David always had an excuse to reschedule. Although Devon was in love, she says David was controlling and manipulative, and she started cutting herself to cope. Then, a phone call changed everything -- Devon says she was shocked to learn that David wasn’t who he said he was. And, Lauren, Bobbi and Kelly say they also fell for the same man and spent months establishing an online relationship -- one that never culminated in a face-to-face meeting. The women say an estimated 26 women have fallen victim to this alleged catfish’s schemes. What were the signs that they missed? And what would drive a person to carry out such a deception? Learn the online dating red flags to look out for.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: itisdone on Jan 16, 2014, 12:47AM
I am very disappointed by this show on "catfish" Dr Phil is suppose to be a proffessional and he didn't even recognise a sociopath when it was right in his face! This "catfish" is obviously a sociopath and betrays all the signs of one. These women have been manipulated and conned by a non human being. Sociopaths lack empathy, compassion and the ability to love and care do not care about anyone. They get delight in duping people.  A normal person, particularly a  strongly empathetic one, does not realise that these people exist. They are kind and caring and try to see the best in everyone. THat does not make them stupid - naive, innocent, compassionate and caring - but not stupid. That Dr Phil spoke down to them like he did was disgusting to see coming from a proffessional. That he did not recognise this personality disorder that 1 in 25 men and  women in America and Australia has, discredited him and his new book massively! 

Look up sociopathy. The story is almost identical to thousands of women and men that are prayed on by these predators. It is time that society became aware of these "people" so that we can start to counter their destructive behaviour. 

Dr Phil had the perfect opportunity to expose this disorder that is running rampant  in today's selfish, individulistic society and he blew it. Very Disappointed!

Replied By: dkapswife on Oct 30, 2013, 4:08PM
This is so ridiculous! My best friend went through basically the same thing about a year ago. A teen girl from my friend's church used the online texting app to have a phone number that would be from a different area code. She knew that my friend played the piano wonderfully. This girl sent recordinga of what was supposed to be this guy playing the piano. We got suspicious when the girl sent a recording that was supposed to be this guy singing. I looked up the song on YouTube. It was exactly the same as the original artist. When we looked up the area code it didn't line up with where the guy had said he was from. He would never call my friend but would text her until the wee hours of the morning. We found out that this girl had done the same thing to another friend of our a few years before. The guy that she was dating was overseas and had ended the relationship before he left. Two weeks after he shipped out, our friend  started getting text  messages from her soldier again. My piano friend was in a relationship with this person for three months before we  caught on. The soldier relationship lasted for six months. I will never understand why someone would do something like this!

Replied By: alphak555 on Oct 8, 2013, 10:30PM - In reply to bunnymama79
Only idiots fall for scams! common sense is all you need to prevent this crap happening! You CANT fall in love over the internet and that is just common sense! People should realize they are falling in love with the idea of love and it's not real! Idiots! Just plain idiots!

Replied By: alphak555 on Oct 8, 2013, 10:26PM
I can't believe this girl cut herself to cope with a fictional person!  I don't understand how ANYONE can get scammed by fake internet scum!  Don't these people have any COMMON SENSE? 

i shake my head with disbelief when people don't see what's going on! Have an open mind but don't believe anything until you have the facts in front of you!  I find these women just plain stupid! 

Replied By: nicebronxgal on Aug 12, 2013, 2:58PM
so they found out who the person was? I didnt see this show , who is she? is she in jail? i went thru something similar with a guy named doug on Twitter but thankfully I did not get nearly as far as these women. my red flags went up really fast ! I would never even do half the things these women did.. we just had quick conversation but you could see he or maybe she was leading up to something .. i googled the name and found out so much ! what a scammer .  but still has not been caught!

Replied By: truthadvocates on Jun 29, 2013, 6:38PM - In reply to kfarre3
You may not see this but I saw your post about Max and wasnt sure if it was the same catfish as the one in our show. Yesterday (6-28-13) someone contacted me on my website about this catfish stating they were also catfished by Max A. After getting more details, Max is in fact the same person as Shaun/David/Jackson, etc. using Josey Greenwell's pictures. If you'd like to contact me or have your sister contact me, you can do a web search for Shaun David Catfish Dr Phil and you should be able to find my website and use the Contact Us form. I will respond. This is a shot in the dark, but thought Id try just in case.

Replied By: kfarre3 on Apr 27, 2013, 12:20AM
Wow, I am completely shocked! this women is still messing with innocent people. My sister was recently a victim. although he weant by the name max with her, but the same pictures and stories.Thankfully she realized early that something wasn't right. I will neve understand sick people like this who pray on others emotions.

Replied By: cadescove99 on Mar 25, 2013, 11:04AM - In reply to truthadvocates
Hi!
Just now found your reply to my post! I don't visit Dr Phil's website like I used to. The past two seasons just haven't held my interest like the earlier ones did. It's not surprising that you and your first boyfriend grew apart. Dr Phil used to think that the brain quits growing at age 18, but has revized his position, since new research suggests that the brain keeps growing until we're 25 or 26. I think your brain outgrew him! LOL!
Am glad you're one of the fortunate ones who had success online and found someone who can look beyond the superficial!

Replied By: johncent on Feb 6, 2013, 9:25PM
I've had someone basically say I was a catfish scammer when I wasn't. Didn't have a clue about what the scam was until recently. I did what you are supposed to do, not give out your date of birth, phone number, etc. People looked into my background and found I didn't give my exact info on posts on a forum. They didn't confront and ask me about it, instead they hired a PI (at least I hope that's what they were) and proceeded to hack into my cellphone (they tracked me via my phone's GPS to a gas station 1 and a half hours' drive from my house and 'met' me at a gas station while I was visiting with my brother who lived nearby. I say 'met' but I didn't know I was having a meeting at the time. A person was there in front of me at the line at the cash register. She asked seemingly random questions of me, the type you'd get with really weird friendly banter, but knew things about me like eye color and my exact height without needing to ask, which I did post on that online forum. Then left. It was only later that I put two and two together), my PC (my online activities are and have been monitored for quite some time now aparently), and tried to hack into a Gmail email account I had using spam emails from a Russian account. That online forum has since been hacked and taken offline.

I do not know the full extent of how much they've hacked into or what they've done, but they've managed to get info on my parents (they mistook some online activity they did for mine, I think, but I'm not sure as I don't really know what's going on) and may have even hacked into my brother and sister's PC's (whose wifi I use when I visit them sometimes) and God knows what else.

This has been going on for several years apparently without my knowledge.

I have a thing about not posting images of myself online. I'm not that attractive and take horrible pictures. I also don't go on websites that require personal info unless I absolutely have to for fear that the website itself might get hacked and my info stolen. That means no dating websites, no banking websites, no Facebook profile to stay connected to family and friends. I thank God for those two fears otherwise I'd probably be the victim of far worse than having my reputation trashed by being falsely accused of catfish scamming.

People need to always be vigilant online. You also need to be aware that even if you are and do stuff to thwart scammers (like give out false or misleading personal info on sites that don't require you to give your personal info out), you can have the same thing happen to you that happened to me.

It feels almost like having your identity stolen, but you can't track it and if your stalker is particularly good at what they do, there's nothing you can do to stop it (short of suicide). :(

Replied By: bunnymama79 on Jan 24, 2013, 5:21PM
Todays show is so typical and Anyone can fall prey to these Scammers..Dr Phil is exposing the Scum of the Earth and hope he continues to do so. I am 68 years old and back several years ago i met a man online from Incline Village Ca. He did have his picture on site,said he was 65, i was 62 he was a professional,former Assistant DA in Reno,now retired Attorney and Protemp Judge in Incline Village,lake Tahoe area. I thought he was very interesting and emailed back and forth,he started sending me love letters right off,long story short, we met,dated a short time,he was very secretive and Wined & Dined me then proposed.He even set up a Wedding and trip on a Hawaiian Cruise,he said he didnt want to get married in Nevada. Lots of things did add up but thought he was a good guy,well we married on beach in Maui, he started acting strange right after that,we got home to his house i was getting ready to move my things there until i got an email from a lady who said she is also engaged to him and told me she now found out he is a Bigamist and is still married to another woman. He also told the other engaged woman that he was going on a cruise by himself to get some rest. there is so much more,but i got it annuled but then he had the guts to file some papers,remember he is an attorney,that said I CORHERSED HIM into marriage,later i found out he was 76 not 65 and had more.

with 

Showing 1-10 of total 237 Comments