Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

When Troy and Dayna locked up their newly-renovated house and moved to another state, they say two squatters moved in -- and refused to leave! The strangers claim they rightfully bought the house from a real estate agent and have the documents to prove it. Now Troy and Dayna are stuck in a legal battle that could take years to resolve. The couple and their two daughters are now living in a hotel while they fight to get their house back. How did this happen, and who should have legal rights to the home? And, with stress and struggle taking a toll on their health and marriage, can Dr. Phil help Troy and Dayna weather this storm? Then, John and Nancy say they're forced to live above their garage because their “freeloading” 31-year-old daughter, Kylea, and her three children have taken over their house. They say in the nine years she's been living with them, Kylea has paid minimal rent, the house is becoming a wreck and confrontations have gotten violent. How might they be contributing to the situation? Kylea says she’s not trying to use her parents; she’s just in a rough spot. What will it take to get her living on her own?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: strine on Sep 24, 2013, 10:32PM
Seems like the parents spoilt their daughter. When the father spoke about letting them live in the house, he didn't say they were told to pay anything to live in it (he said he bought it and wanted them to live in the "lovely home"). Must have decided later he wanted money from them- always put thing in an upfront contract even when dealing with your kids. For them to expect to keep her kids there while she moves out shows that they care about the kids, but that wouldn't be best for the kids emotionally. "Mummy left" sticks with kids longer than "Mummy is here in our messy house"...

Replied By: strine on Sep 24, 2013, 10:15PM
The guy who was selling these houses is the criminal. The people who bought the houses off him were gullible and now it's time for them to cut their losses and leave. They must be desperate to get some "value for their money" but they don't own the house and they need to wake up and see they've lost their money because the criminal who sold it to them won't be giving it back- he'll suddenly go bankrupt when expected to.

Replied By: cmonroe50 on Nov 28, 2012, 10:07AM
I really hope they follow up on this.  How can this happen in America.  Having been through having to evict someon from my rental, I am not that surprised that this could happen.  The laws are set up for freeloaders like this.  This is so unfair that these folks must go through all of this just to get there own home back.  Thank Dr. Phil for putting this on the air and making people aware.  I only hope it does not give other squatters ideas.  I am glad dr. phil will put his legal help on it.  I hope these peaple living in there home get a heaping does of Karma.  What losers!

Replied By: vivianlehman on Nov 27, 2012, 5:53AM - In reply to fanof_phil
Anyone who has been through a sale of a house knows what a tedious process it is.  There are so many Federal, state and local laws involved and only a few lawyers who can effectively manage them all.   However, the possibility of a phony real estate agent and a fraudulent sale always exists, particularly when the house is abandoned for more than a few weeks.  Whether or not this occurred, it is good that Dr. Phil brought some awareness to this issue.
As all of my questions on this issue are not being answered by the lawyer claiming to be representing the best interests of the clients, I have four final questions:

1.  Do the town land records reflect the fact that Troy and Dayna have ownership?
2.  If not, did a phony house sale occur?
3.  If a phony house sale did occur, did the lawyer report this to the attorney general's office?
3.  If a phony house sale did NOT occur, but rather a real house sale, did the lawyer accept a retainer from Troy and Dayna?

Replied By: jahufe on Nov 26, 2012, 7:22PM
I'm really surprised Dr. Phil didn't come down on Dakota hard.  To call his wife "immature" how she manages the home & children is arrogant.  They need to switch places for a 24 hour period to see how he handles things.  I wonder how Dakota's wife would spend her free time off.  

I hope one day soon these mothers realize they are not Super Women.  I didn't understand that concept until my late 40's.  Delegating is the key and having a blind eye to little things will make their lives less stressful.

Replied By: troydaynadon on Nov 26, 2012, 6:43PM
Thanks again for all your support and everything you did for us during this time of need!!

Replied By: mary610 on Nov 26, 2012, 4:53PM
I've been a single mom since my boys were 6-and-4-years-old.  My parents & sibilins didn't live nearby and I worked a full-time job.  It wasn't easy, but I sure wouldn't have been on the Dr. Phil show saying "I can't do this".  It's just what needed to be done and I did it.  My boys are wonderful young men and I credit only myself for how they turned out.  I say to these women, "Put your big girl panties on and deal with it.."  After all, you could be a single mom and you'd HAVE to do it all yourself!

Replied By: belledebbi on Nov 26, 2012, 3:19PM
My comment is to the men for them to think about.  A man says he works and when he is off he needs his down time for fun. So if he works 5 -6 days a week on his day off he wants to do what he wants to do. However, a wife and mother works 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day.  When is her day off, her down time?  In order for her to get a couple of hours she has to plan it and make sure the hubby is available 

Replied By: gloworm47 on Nov 26, 2012, 2:12PM
Wow....ten kids!   I wish someone would have suggested the age-old CHART posted on the refrigerator.   The CHART would indicate WHICH child would HELP with the chores each day.   They can all make their bed.   One day Child #1 could get the bread out and toast bread for 10 kids' breakfasts.   Child #2 and #3 are responsible for putting breakfast dishes in dishwasher.   And so forth with age-appropriate chores.   It would teach them responsibility.   It would give them something to look forward to each day...checking the chart and "helping Mommy".     Also....the husbands should absolutely HELP once in a while.   They should tell their wives to go take a bubble bath while HE gets the kids' dinner...and does the dishes.   Well, this is what "I" was screaming at the TV today.   Smile....

Replied By: hello11 on Nov 26, 2012, 7:01AM
The reason I don't go to church anymore is for pompous, self-righteous "Christians viewpoints such as were given this single mother of 3 today. Do you have any idea what it would be like to be a young mother who was left to raise three children. When you are out of milk, you pack up all three kids and take them to pick up the milk. When one has football practice, you pack up all three and take them to practice. You stay in the car through practice because you don't have the gas money to run back and forth. Getting a job is very difficult. Do you really think you have money to stick them all or some in day care? But hey, married and perhaps double income, chuch-going Christians think you could do better. If you were just more like them you wouldn't have such problems. Everyone piles on this mother. WHERE IS THE FATHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think perhaps you are "jumping the shark" like Oprah did. You are so wealthy that you don't remember what it is like to have p-nut butter sandwhiches for dinner for a week straight. When my son grows up he will always be welcome with his family in my home if they are in distress. My guess your sons could have a wing of your mansion if they really needed it.

Showing 1-10 of total 31 Comments