Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

Eight months ago, 23-year-old Robert Gibbs weighed close to 800 pounds, and fearing he would lose his life to obesity, made a desperate plea for Dr. Phil’s help in a YouTube video. It took two medical vans and five EMTs to get him to the show, and he had to be wheeled onstage. Dr. Phil arranged for Robert to go straight from the show to Wellspring Academy, a weight loss facility. Find out how he is doing today! Then, when Susanne first appeared on Dr. Phil, she weighed 541 pounds and boasted that she consumed up to 30,000 calories a day in hopes of becoming the world’s biggest bride by weighing 800 pounds by her June 2013 wedding. Dr. Phil warned the 33-year-old that she was on a dangerous path and offered her the opportunity to seek treatment at Wellspring at Structure House. It’s been five months — how is she doing? See what happens when Dr. Phil pays her a surprise visit. And, hear from Susanne's family members. You won’t believe who she says is trying to sabotage her! Then, Dr. Phil surprises his nephew Scott, who has been at Wellspring at Structure House for seven months and has lost more than 130 pounds. What does he say is the biggest key to his weight loss? And, how does he stay motivated?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: banksoftheohio on Dec 25, 2013, 8:38AM
A long time ago I heard there was an update on Robert...  I finally looked it up.

I am so proud of this young man. He has been through a lot and he still has a ways to go, as he said.  It is wonderful to see him walking on his own.  He is still so young and has so much to give in his life.  I am thankful to those like Dr. Phil and the staff of the weight loss center who see the worth of someone like Robert while many, many others would forget him and say he has no hope.

Replied By: kayesmith on Nov 21, 2012, 1:34PM - In reply to tallgal77
I agree with you.  I too could see it in her face that she wasn't really sure about this..  The other lifestyle was easier and this is going to be hard.  She was accepted by her fiance the way she was and now she's not sure who is going to accept her and if she can really do it.

Replied By: kayesmith on Nov 21, 2012, 1:31PM - In reply to rikrn2011
I agree about Susanne questionably being motivated.  Usually Dr. Phil is very careful to make sure that his guests are very motivated to want help before he sends them somewhere.  I felt like Dr. Phil talked her into this and she is not going to be very motivated to complete the program..  I think he should have saved his money for someone that actually wanted to lose weight, not someone that wanted to gain weight.

Replied By: kellbell5 on Nov 20, 2012, 9:58PM - In reply to sueinmetairie
Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement. It's so helpful to get someone else's perspective. I have been really struggling lately, but I will not binge tonight. I'm going to do something in support of my health instead. One day at a time. Thanks for helping me today.

Replied By: rikrn2011 on Nov 20, 2012, 6:43PM
I hope that she can get into the mindset she needs to lose weight!! The part that I hate is that Dr. Phil is spending money for her to be at Wellsprings and she is not committed to losing weight! I would LOVE it if I could afford to go to Wellsprings and give 100% to getting healthy and losing weight!! I have been on weight watchers 3 times, phen-fen pills, fad diets, lap-band surgery and more and I am still 150 lbs. overweight!! Good luck to all of them! I will keep trying for as long as I live!!

Replied By: carlan on Nov 20, 2012, 4:55PM
I'm so glad that Susanne is now trying to embrace a healthier lifestyle, and had the gumption to distance herself from an enabling fiance. He didn't seem at all like a cruel person, but he clearly didn't have Susanne's best interests at heart.
Good for her, for doing what it takes. I never did quite follow the logic behind er fiance's demand that she be super morbidly obese, so "we can have a happy marriage." What "we," if she's dead? It seemed like his attitude was, "Do this, because I like it; if it means that you die prematurely, so be it. We all have to go sometime!"
She deserves so much better than that,and I hope she gets it!

Replied By: sueinmetairie on Nov 20, 2012, 4:24PM - In reply to kellbell5
Obesity runs in my family. It's an overwhelming appetite that cannot be controlled unless you are on medically supervised appetite suppressants.  Follow healthy eating and exercise supervised by your doctor. But the appetite must be dealt with. It's something in your brain that is not your fault.  Losing weight is the hardest thing in the world and every day you do what is right by yourself is a day of victory. Also join OA. Never never never give up on yourself!!!

Replied By: merrytimes49 on Nov 20, 2012, 3:29PM
Really enjoyed the show & wish these folks all the best.  I thought Robert with his weight loss thus far looked somewhat like Robert Pattinson, anyone else think that?  He seems like such a sweet, gentle young man and I'm looking forward to
 updates about him.   

Replied By: kcw_dream on Nov 20, 2012, 1:23PM
I love the work you do to help people with there weight. I've wrote your show dozens of times trying to get help with my weight with no success. Im desperate for help with my weight. Please help me.

Replied By: tallgal77 on Nov 20, 2012, 11:12AM
I do not think Suzanne is really wanting to lose weight. I see her trying to tell herself to do it, but she really does not want to do the work required to do it. You can see it in her face. She is not doing this for herself, so it will never work. Another issue is she did this as a career. She got paid to sit at home and eat everything in site, and have perverted men pay her. She enjoyed that lifestyle immensely. I think she does not have the willpower to face the real world. I wish she did, but just do not see it.

Showing 1-10 of total 43 Comments