Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

(Original AIr Date: 11/06/12) Kayla, 18, and Vincent, 17, say that they dated for just four months before Kayla discovered she was pregnant. Shortly before giving birth to Milo, now 9 months, the young couple broke up. Kayla's mom, Jill, and stepdad, Mike, believe Kayla got pregnant intentionally, to earn a role on one of the popular teen pregnancy reality TV shows -- a claim Kayla denies. Kayla says as a teen mom, she quickly realized she was in over her head and signed custody of Milo over to her mom. Jill and Mike say that Kayla is immature and would rather party than be a mother. Can Dr. Phil get Kayla to step up and be the mom her son needs? Then, Vincent joins the show with his father, Lewis. Who do they believe should be raising Milo? And, is Vincent doing all he can to be a good father? Plus, do you think TV shows about teen mothers glamorize or prevent teen pregnancy? Log on to DrPhil.com and vote! And, tune in to learn about the three most important conversations that you must have with your daughter.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: rollroland on Oct 12, 2013, 8:16AM - In reply to red88ranger
I fully understand teenagers like to be popular, have lots of facebook friends, wanna party and look good.

the thing is they always portray motherhood as a choice as if you never can go to any party anymore, thats bilshut

Replied By: rollroland on Oct 12, 2013, 8:14AM - In reply to mustlovedogs13
Well if you look at fathers and mothers, nobody is perfect, sometimes it goes far beyond that. However vincent seems a lot more responsible than kayla. He connects to the baby, takes care of it. The father of vincent, you can say he is a good father figure or not, he may be. Just because you have a conflict with somebody doesnt mean you are a bad father. Many fathers have conflicts with certain people im sure of that.

Replied By: rollroland on Oct 12, 2013, 8:09AM
A number of things struck me:

it looks like the baby is better off with vincent and his dad, vincent does a lot of things for the baby and seems to connect much more than the mother. The dad is sometimes said unthoughtful things, but i think many fathers get into conflicts with certain other people all the time and still be good or kind of good fathers. Dr phil wanted to bash vincent by blaming him for having 5000 facebook friends, that was a bit too easy. in a case where everybody has their faults i think the main care can better be done by vincents father and vincent. Teen mom is portrayed as a program that glorifies teen pregnantship, is it really? Have you seen it? It has problems all over it, it shows the harsh reality. Conservatism at informing kids at a young age about sex is the root cause for all of this. As long as sex is seen as something unspoken, hidden and secret, teenage pregnancy will be high, look at other similar countries like the us, generally teenage pregnancy is much lower. 

Replied By: bexbennett on Sep 18, 2013, 3:35PM
I teach my kids all the time that they are responsible for the consequences of their actions. I feel the problem with parents is that they don't do this. They don't do homework? Then they take the consequences. They get a punishment from the teacher. no i wont write a note to excuse them. They get pregnant then they have to take the consequences. No I won't get up in the night when they're sick and their baby's sick. I remind them of the times that they feel irritable and tired and just want to be left alone and say if you had a baby you'd have to look after a screaming baby through those times if they had one when were young. I see parents just bailing their kids out all the time. It doesn't help them. It makes them useless and miserable and it disempowers them. Kaylas son is beautiful and she needs to start taking responsibilty for her actions and make a good life for her and her son. 

Replied By: strine on Jul 18, 2013, 9:28PM - In reply to mikesb
He admitted he did not wear a condom i.e. he was not trapped into anything.

Replied By: strine on Jul 18, 2013, 9:26PM - In reply to moonlady715
Considering the Grandmother (adopted mother) and Grandfather (adopted father) complain that she doesn't help out with the baby they chose to adopt from her (Milo), I think he would have been better off with another family. You can't adopt a baby and then complain that their birth parent is not getting up in the middle of the night etc - unless you have that type of agreement (which they don't). Seems they are still enabling her behaviour while complaining that she should look after their adopted baby. Less resentment = a happier child and I'm sure Milo will hear all about his "mother" who doesn't look after him.

Replied By: strine on Jul 18, 2013, 9:15PM
Kayla was putting on a performance there like she was auditioning for a TV show- fake tears, cute voice, inappropriately smiling. Why is her mother complaining that her daughter doesn't look after the baby after she adopted him? The daughter gave up custody after having him to use him on a TV show (for money and fame). The girl has her head in the clouds and isn't living in reality. She is spoilt (as her mother said she is) for a reason and the parents are a part of that reason. Why would you want your now adopted son around Kayla? Please be sure to teach Milo that hard work and making realistic plans are the way to have a real life and be a grown up - if you hand him everything he also will turn out like her.

Replied By: pegcitygramps on Mar 26, 2013, 8:50AM
Dr. Phil,

Just wanted to comment... I recently saw your episode regarding the Teenage mother who became pregnant because she wanted to be on Television.  I choked up and almost cried.   This Kayla girl you talked about is so eerily similar to my own daughter and her circumstances it is shocking.  I am sure you could do an entire weeks’ worth of episodes on my daughter alone.

My daughter has had behavioral issues for a few years now.   She suffers from severe ADHD and She has run away from home on occasion, she phoned us to tell us she was engaged to a drug dealer (after 48 hours), she has lied to us, she has stolen from us, she has been in fights at school, she routine uses drugs and alcohol and engages in indiscriminate sexual activity.  We have battled these demons for a few years now and they always seem to come in ebbs and flows.  A large portion of her issues started when her biological mother returned into her life after a 9 year absence and carried thru into issues in the public school system.  She is out of control and has previously convinced social workers and therapists that I am overbearing as a parent (go figure).  During her manic phases she has become irrational and on one occasion she physically assaulted me (she kicked me in the junk, and proceeded to hit me with any object within arms reach, until I could recover enough to stop her).  She has issues and she has them in spades.

Last winter my daughter came home pregnant.  She is now 17 years old, she has not completed high school, and has a 7 month old baby.   I know based on her conversations on Facebook that she deliberately became pregnant to trap her ex-boyfriend (who is completely MIA)  And yes, her favorite shows include Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant. Perhaps these shows glamorized and planted the seed for parenthood into her brain? 

My daughter and granddaughter live with us and every day with my daughter is a battle.  She either is completely absent from the home or is showing such a lack of respect and consideration that we wish she was elsewhere.  As you put it with Kayla… she is the common denominator in every fight.  She has issues with school, teachers, friends, Child and Family services, me, her 7 year old sister, her employer… but nothing is ever her fault.  Its like living under a perpetual storm cloud.   Child and Family services has forced her to get random drug tests as she has been caught taking our granddaughter to drug houses.  She has actually asked me to lie for her so she can go and drink and do drugs.  She researches on the internet to see what will and will not show up on a drug test.  Bottom line is that she is never responsible for her actions and has been out of control for a considerable time. 

We have now taken custody of our granddaughter Samantha (de facto custody supported by Child and Family Services but  not legal custody yet) to protect her from her mother's poor judgment as someone needs to protect this child and someone needs to be the adult.  Someone needs to advocate for 7 month old Samantha.

Where does one begin to get my daughter the help that she needs?  How do I get people to listen?  We have tried therapy, medications, psychologists and social workers but nothing seems to help as the problem is never with her.  The problem isn’t leading the horse to water… we are down to getting the horse to drink.

Any advice will be gratefully considered

Sincerely,

A Devoted Parent and Grandparent at Wit's End 

A Devoted Grandfather at Wit’s End.

Replied By: daidr3am3r on Mar 22, 2013, 7:48PM - In reply to hanno357
i think parents should speak with not only the daughter but their sons too because sex takes 2 not just the mother.

Replied By: daidr3am3r on Mar 22, 2013, 7:42PM
but can someone explain to me why she does not have a job but feels shehas the right to bash the childs father. the mother needs to get a back bone 

Showing 1-10 of total 183 Comments