2013 Shows

(Original Air Date: 10/30/12) Dr. Phil examines a high school incident that involves lawsuits, death threats and both sides feeling bullied. Sixteen-year-old Katie says her classmate Nick turned against her and started recruiting people to join a "Kill Katie Klub." She says the taunting by her classmates escalated and forced her to quit school. Katie's mom, Giselle, says her daughter -- once, a popular cheerleader with good grades -- is now homeschooled and has lost everything. Giselle says her attempts to remedy the situation with parents and school officials fell on deaf ears, so she was forced to go to the police, resulting in backlash from her community. Giselle says she wants Nick and his parents, Michelle and Daniel, to take responsibility. Michelle and Daniel speak out exclusively to Dr. Phil, insisting that Nick was just making a joke about starting a “Kill Katie Klub,” and that it went no further. They say that they’ve held their son accountable, and they just want the drama to end. Is Giselle perpetuating the situation? Sparks fly when these families face off. Can Dr. Phil help them broker a peace?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: elizabeth63 on Jun 17, 2016, 12:53AM
I am also a little bit confused by what seems a surprising reaction to Giselle from Dr. Phil.  However, people suggesting he doesn't take bullying seriously couldn't be more wrong.  Do you really think he wouldn't have taken her apart if he had seen how insincere and smug Nick's mother was before the show aired?  This woman played the sincere mom worried for her child pretty well.  In fact, had we not all seen the snotty crocodile grin and finger waggling caught when she thought the cameras weren't rolling, we probably would have bought into her victim hood, too.  

I'm not willing to take Dr. Phil to task for this, because I know how very seriously he takes the issue of cyber-bullying.  In 2010, he started his own anti-bullying crusade and spoke very eloquently about the subject before Congress.  As a mother of a daughter who barely survived bullies when she was in school, I was grateful he was there to speak out for us and make it clear this is so much more than 'kids will be kids'. To people who absolutely do not understand the impact of bullying, he spoke for all of us who are never heard and I thank him for using his name and platform to try to make changes when he could instead have been sitting in a hammock (laurels neatly tucked beneath him) in Hawaii.

For more information about anti-bullying campaign and resources for help, go here:

Anti-Bully Movement Resources | Dr. Phil

Replied By: elizabeth63 on Jun 16, 2016, 11:40PM
This is years after the fact, I know. I saw this story on a rerun today and I was curious about any follow up, if things had come to some kind of conclusion. Giselle has gotten a lot of flak for taking this to the media. People say she should have gone first to the parents and the school. But she did go to the parents. She did go to the school. Not only did nothing change, not only did things not get better, they got worse. It started with Nick, who sent the original 'kkk' comment and quickly became sport for a group of kids (which included Nick) and no one was stopping it.

To suggest that Nick's comments about killing Katie was just kids being kids seems to me, in a world where teens shooting up their schools has become part of our regular news cycle, irresponsible and dangerous. Do I believe Nick ever intended to kill Katie? No, I think he thought he would get points with that group of kids by badmouthing her and it bit him in the rear. But to say it was wrong to take the remarks seriously, especially when the nastiness directed at Katie by that group of kids and their parents (in some cases) escalated and had extended on to her sister as well, that makes no sense.

If Giselle had gotten any sense that Nick's parents took this seriously and would reprimand the boy, it would have ended there. But we all saw how seriously his mother took it when she appeared on Dr. Phil, minimizing the impact on Katie's family and taunting her with weird hand wiggles when she thought the camera wasn't watching her. When you have a set of parents essentially saying, well yeah, it wasn't nice of our son to say that mean thing to her daughter, but look how negatively our poor boy has been impacted this, when three parents go on national TV to say how wrong it was of Giselle to go on national TV, when the school has been unable to stop the bullying, what was she supposed to do? 

To Nick's parents, who complain that the boy has been negatively impacted by all of this, I say good. Should he have gotten flowers? He wasn't an innocent flower unfairly singled out for persecution. He was a teenager who knew full well the impact of his words (designed to hurt and humiliate someone else - he was NOT trying to being kind to her) and was forced by Giselle to accept the consequences anyone should for what he was doing. If his parents had spent more time conveying to their son that it is never okay to go out of your way to hurt someone else, he wouldn't have thought it was okay. But it became very clear when we watched his mother on Dr. Phil, acting like a twelve year old herself, that being taught empathy is something this kid was desperately in need of. 

I dont believe this this should follow this kid for the rest of his life, either. Everyone has said stupid things we sometimes deeply regret later. It happens. I don't blame Nick. I blame his parents, and specifically the mother, for not conveying how wrong this was and teaching their child appropriate values. Not every teenager bullies. Not every kid in school is mean. Only the ones who are taught at home that it's funny and ok. Maybe it should follow his mother - she was the one who dropped the ball when it came to raising her child appropriately. I consider both Katie and Nick victims of the Nick's parent's failure to raise their child with appropriate values. My hope for both Nick and Katie is that they have moved on and are successful and happy in everything they do.

We can debate all day what should happen if we have a kid who is being victimized. Until schools truly take a zero tolerance stance - not just lip service it for the media - this will continue. As long as you have schools who allow bullying to go on, it will go on and in a situation where Giselle was damned if she did, damned if she didn't, I think she did the right thing in saying no more and refusing to allow this to go on while everyone was swearing it had stopped. It would have been ridiculous to say to her yeah, I know kids get killed at school all the time now, but it could never possibly happen to your kid so you are blowing this out of proportion. Kids do get killed these days. No one was helping her. She had to make sure her kids were safe.

This stuff is going to continue to happen as long as we have parents raising their children to think its funny to laugh at other people's pain. Maybe - maybe the next time some kid goes to school and makes vaguely threatening remarks about killing a classmate, maybe instead of taking the kid out in handcuffs we should parade the PARENTS through the town common in handcuffs. Make them take full responsibility for the person they nurtured. Nick's parents weren't unfairly portrayed in the media. They were very appropriately forced to take responsibility for what they allowed to come out of their home. His mother made it very clear how seriously she took her child's behavior when she was taunting Giselle on TV (not knowing the cameras were still rolling). Maybe it's time to force parents to take responsibility for the people they raise instead of letting them throw their kids under the bus to take the fall for their terrible parenting choices. Kids make mistakes. Kids often do stupid things. It happens and I don't think it's fair that something a child does at 15 follow him for the rest of his life. I do think it should follow his parents. When more parents have to take responsibility for what they produce, when the PARENTS are humiliated and lose jobs, things will change. As long as they can separate themselves from their child's behavior, it will continue.

Replied By: abbylane1111 on Jun 16, 2016, 8:15AM
This is a rerun that I caught earlier today.  

After this show, I was left anxiety ridden, sad and feeling terribly disturbed about how this mother and daugher were treated by Dr. Phil. My mouth left hanging open literally. The last thing I wanted to do today was write on the computer, but I was compelled to do so because that's how badly I felt about Katie and her mother. Simply, they were re-victimized on your show, not only by Nick and his parents, but by you as well. Stunned. Dr. Phil, they had all the proof in the world that you needed to show clear and abusive behavior towards Katie by Nick and right before the first commercial, you flipped the script on Katie and her mother by saying she made a huge mistake going to he media with this.  Wait...what?  No, Dr. Phil, you're wrong. Her "mistake" was not a "mistake". It's called a reaction. A reaction to the constant bullying and harrassment for a pro-longed period of time to her daughter Katie by Nick. The bullying and harrassment by Nick (and others) was the catalyst in this situaion.  Cause and effect.  You were just way off base with your comments on reaction to this. They didn't even make sense and to say to the mother "well, just like you made a mistake, Nick may have made an innocent mistake like that too" or something along those lines. Stunned again. 

Next the father said "IF he did  it, I would have went to the cops"  Next breath "Yes, he wrote the Kill Katie Klub".  So dad, HE did do it, so why didn't you drag him into jail? Then, THEN, he uses and blasts the mothers own painful past as if that is a bad thing. Like, that's suppose to make her the villian in this case. What in the blank does that have to do with what YOUR son did?  "Kill Katie Klub".  That's what YOUR son wrote amoung other things and other bullying behavior towards Katie. What kind of a person even writes that? If someone wrote that about my daughter, I would be scared to death and beyond devestated for my daughter. I can't believe that Dr. Phil even attempted to down play that.  Oprah, I know you are watching his shows and you're just letting Dr. Phil get away with this type of behavior? Shame on you too.

I just want to say how terribly sorry I am to Katie and her mother. Watching this was extremely painful and I could only imagine how they felt.

Replied By: christianstmom on Jun 15, 2016, 12:24PM - In reply to jayatee
First of all I assure you neither want 15 minutes of fame from being bullied,the boys mother is a bully herself,smiling and laughing about the bullying her son was doing ,Bullying is a mental torture of their self esteem and can have results that are life changing descision for them, their family and friends and believe me Bullying can rock the one being bullied right down to their core and My husband whom was deployed over seas and myself and our children have been trying to come to terms with the loss of our son and their brother because of bullying, 6 years ago on 31May2010 while my husband was deployed on another 2 year unacompanied tour to Korea (the 3rd one in his career and second one since we got married) just 5 months into his tour my 16 year old son Christian hung himself on Memorial day ,he had been bullied for 5 months by Ross Tombs and 3 other boys,The school had multiple chances to stop it and did not and when Christian saw that admin wouldnt he chose to end his life. just 6 years later we are still trying to cope with the loss of their gorgeous and loving second eldest brother who loved his siblings and myself and my husband....shame on you for saying that.....

I assure you there is no fame wanting cycle here...

Replied By: christinatracy on Sep 22, 2015, 11:14PM
Its clear to anyone not from whatever town that happened in that the boy and the kids in the school are out of control. The boys mother is a complete idiot who antagonises the situation. I think she is crazy and probably the reason why the boy is so screwed up. The father wasnt much better and a liar. To the mom and girl who were targetted on the show - stay strong - WE believe you. People posting on this forum that dont are clearly entrenched in their own sick way with this story and from that town. Parents of the Boy - you are not believable and are sick and demented. Everyone else knows what you & your "precious idiot boy" did and are doing. I hope it affects his future - if you dont wise up his future will be in jail with you still wringing your hands saying "not our boy". Get over your stupidilty and wake up!!

Replied By: jayatee on Nov 29, 2014, 5:52PM
The boy made a mistake.  He admitted it, and these two want their 15 minutes of fame.  There is no doubt in my mind that this all arose because she got ditched by people who got tired of her dramatic antics and she wanted to get back at them.  The mom clearly is looking for notariety for herself and needs to go away.

Replied By: cyransaysmewf on Jul 11, 2014, 2:18PM - In reply to tweener
Tweener, I'm sorry to say that despite it being your opinion, there's some heavily flawed things to 'your opinion'.

Gizelle would have faked all those binderfulls of just texts/tweets and facebook messages? She would have faked the phone records from all the people harassing her? No. In fact, the only reason that Nick was the one outed was because he told cops "I want to kill katie" which tied him back into the whole Kill Katie Klub.

Nick's parents are 100% the blame here. Not to mention, look at them. They got their lawyer there which is probably scaring Dr. Phil into saying anything about them, but their behavior is common case of bullies. The mother especially. The 'arrogant' "I'm sorry if something I did to intentionally hurt you hurt you. I'm soowwwy" bullcrap. The "God sent me here to solve your problems" Fake trying to look like you're in the better moral position with such a contrite speech that has no merit. And her constant laughing about the whole thing...? That doesn't scream NICK BECAME A BULLY BECAUSE OF HIS MOM?

Replied By: tweener on Nov 13, 2013, 11:52AM
Honestly I feel sorry for Katie and Nick. Absolutely, no one deserves to be harassed and bullied, and it is the parents job to step in from both sides and deal with it directly. However I am not so sure in the big scheme of things that these kids are victims of each other, but rather their parents, especially Giselle. She and Nick's parents both acted so incredibly immature, but Giselle clearly has an agenda for herself and from what I see online, desperately wants to be a celebrity and seems to be doing it vicariously and narcissistically through her own daughter who is innocent in all of this. Someone forgot to tell Giselle though that she is 20 years late to the prom and needs a job or a purpose in life other than expoliting others for her own personal narcissistic supply. I noticed her husband/Katie's dad didn't sit beside her on stage supporting his wife. To me that says a LOT. And Nick's mothers silly faces? That was just pretty ridiculous. But Giselle- please leave your daughter out of your own ridiculous and selfish pursuits. If she wants to be in pagentry or start an anti-bullying foundation, let her pursue dreams of her own that don't make you the center of them.

Replied By: patrickds on Sep 18, 2013, 2:08PM
Hi there Katie & Jazel (Apologies if I spelt any of your names wrong), don’t know whether you’ll see this or not but I just wanted to say that your story about what has happened has really touched me. I remember being picked on a lot when I was at school, and I know what it is like to feel alone and alienated and so on. I’m not looking to start an argument or anything, but I’m in Katie’s corner for this one. No-one deserves to be bullied today and there isn’t a single reason to do it at all. I would take my hat off to your mother who really is looking to do anything to end everything and see her daughter happy, and in this situation that is one of the best things that a mother could do. I really hope that this all comes to an end and that you can move on, and just get on with your life. I can see you as a really ambitious person and I see you doing amazing things in your future!

Really hope that this ends and your life changes for the better

Kind Regards from me in London

Replied By: loyalalways on Aug 12, 2013, 2:28AM - In reply to eqnurse
I believe that by doing the things she did she was teaching Katie to know how to stand up for herself and not be afraid to report crimes.

The bull**** that Michelle prays for Giselle and Katie is a way for her to manipulate Dr. Phil and everyone else.  She really thinks she fooled everyone. Stupid witch. Michelle is EVIL!

I've watched this show twice now. Dr. Phil was wrong throughout the show. However, I hope he realized what was going on when Michelle showed her TRUE colors with her little 'wave' at the end of the show. Talk about childish behaviour. Then they BOTH lied about it. The father should also have taken the lie detector test. And her apology to Giselle after she got CAUGHT was another attempt at manipulation. It was nowhere near sincere. She didn't mean a word of it, obviously. It was a mockery!! Now I see where Nick gets his behaviour. I believe that he must be is hurting inside and that is what makes him bully. I believe that of all bullies. I feel sorry for him, too because his mother has done this to him.

Dr. Phil looked pissed when he walked off the show. I believe he was really annoyed with Michelle and her daughter for making light of bullying. I feel that he should  have said more to them than he did. Gisele is right. It is NOT funny AT ALL! Children have committed suicide because of bullying.

Showing 1-10 of total 898 Comments