Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

(Original Air Date: 10/31/12) Dr. Phil’s guests say their family members are arrogant, entitled and think the world revolves around them. Seanna says her 25-year-old daughter, Corinne, compares herself to Gandhi and believes she’s so special that she deserves to star in her own reality show -- but is she in need of a reality check? Corinne says her pretty face belongs on magazine covers, and admits that she manipulates people to get what she wants. What is driving her arrogance? When Dr. Phil uncovers a painful secret from her past, will she let down her guard? Then, Rosemarie is a mom of three and engaged to be married to Brian -- she's also a self-proclaimed narcissist who admits that she seldom considers anyone else’s feelings. Rosemarie says it’s all about getting what she wants when she wants it -- and she will stop at nothing to fulfill her desires. She admits that she alienates friends and family and is aware that her self-absorption may be destroying her relationship with her fiancé. Now, Rosemarie fears her narcissism is rubbing off on her 9-year-old daughter. Can Dr. Phil help her see a new perspective? Plus, can you spot a narcissist? Could it be you? Log on to DrPhil.com and take a quiz!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: angiefallen on Mar 20, 2014, 7:26PM - In reply to stargatergirl
Thank you for sharing your story and good luck in the future!

Replied By: toikeira on Mar 18, 2014, 12:52PM
is there anyway at all i can get a copy of this video, i have clas this evening and would love to show this i have a presentiation on Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) and this would really be a good visual for the class. my paper alone will blow them away it would just help if i hd the good doctor backing up some of the points in my paper. if there is anyway please feel free to contact me with the information i have provided thank you so much.

Toi Keira

Replied By: bonniejeano on Jul 8, 2013, 7:36AM - In reply to withconscience
Although there are differing degrees of narcissism, I believe there are some underlying symptoms in all narcissists.  Control freaks, no empathy, abusive (any kind: verbal, mental, physical) to get what they want, pathological lyers.  Even though some may suffer from low self esteem they still are self absorbed, thinking they only know what's best.  All their decisions are basted on: what is best for me; what will I gain; what is best for my adgenda.  Oh yes, they always have an adgenda.  If you do not agree with them in any form or fashion, you will be on their dis list and you WILL BE punished forever.  These symptoms in themselves can and do cause mental illnesses in their victims.  But that in itself feeds their self image that all bad things are because of the other person (the victim).  And all good things are because of the narcisist. They have double standards and are very good at hiding who they really are.  Thus everyone believes that the victim is the problem.  Only those who know the whole story can see beyond.  Oh and by the way, if you happen to be this one that sees the whole picture, you too will be punished the rest of your life by the narcissist even though you may have just been trying to help.  Narcissits are very private and do not want anyone to know the true person that they are.  Truely, they are unhappy people and that is THEIR punishment.  I am the mother of a girl who lived with a narcissist for 15 years.  She has recently been diagnosed with bi-polar.  Although she definetly needs help, I do not believe she has a bi-polar in the true sense of the illness.  I feel she has the result of living with this narcissist for so long and trying to make sense of his personality disorder.  I only wish I could help her now but he has made this also imposible.  His adgenda has been working for 3 years but I hope and pray that some day the truth will come out.

Replied By: blondtrobl on Apr 3, 2013, 6:46AM
Have they really looked in the mirror?  At themselves?  Really?

Replied By: caly430 on Mar 27, 2013, 3:55PM
My mother asked me to get a copy of this episode on tape or CD as she doesn't have a computer to watch anything online. Does anyone know if it's possible to get something like this? I checked the Dr. Phil store but couldn't find anything. Thank you.

Replied By: see_maw on Mar 27, 2013, 2:25PM
These women obviously have self esteem issues, and are NOT NARCISSISTS.  A TRUE NARCISSIST would not have CRIED on the show and don't have baggage MAKING THEM insecure to the point where THEY are SELF PROCLAIMED NARCISSISTS. 
I grew up with my parents doting on me which made me the person I am today, I shoulda been on that show.

Replied By: withconscience on Mar 21, 2013, 7:33PM
These two women were not a good representation of NPD.  They certainly had problems, but not the NPD that I have been exposed to.  What is needed is a show that explains the disorder and help for the victims.  To think that someone with NPD can be helped is just wrong.

There are a lot of books and articles to read, but a show that deals directly with this problem would be really helpful for the general public which really doesn't understand what they are up against.  Sometimes I can't believe we are in the 21st century and there isn't more information readily available to people.  There needs to be more support for those who are caught in their manipulations.

Replied By: mailiangel on Mar 21, 2013, 2:54PM - In reply to jamesabts1
Sorry forgot to let you know I feel your pain and sorry you had to go through being treated that way for so long.  I think it's emotional abuse.  I know what its like to lay awake when the other person is fast asleep and somehow comfortable in their own skin.  Friends and my other half of the family keep me going!  Hope things are better for you now

Replied By: mailiangel on Mar 21, 2013, 2:41PM - In reply to jamesabts1
I too found it interesting that both guests on the show didn't really seem in denial of their narcisisstic,attention seeking behavior.  They definitely didn't represent the narcisstic behavior I've come to know since a narcissist is ALWAYS right.  I wish Dr. Phil could have pointed out how dangerous and calculated some of these type people can be.  I did like that Dr. Phil showed that there's some sort of pain underneath it all though.  I have a father, stepmother, husband (we're separated) and in law that have some narcisstic traits.  I've found some common behaviors between my four: constantly giving unprompted advice, non-stop talking about themselves usually portraying themselves as the hero (I have to really interrupt if I want to say a few words then it's almost immediately back to them--I'm not exagerrating), must always be right, anything negative that happens to them is pure evil or by random chance, and finally they have each done some horrible things directly to me but have never owned up and somehow justified it away.  Until recently I didn't realize what was going on and that others close to them find their behavior odd as well.  I don't like playing the victim, but their point of view is almost unreal.

Replied By: chigrl712 on Mar 21, 2013, 2:37PM - In reply to jamesabts1
I agree these were minimal cases at best.A clinically diagnosed case of narcissism is way more serious and has severe repercussions for the people in their family.  I believe these women were spoiled, self indulgant and self centered but  lacked the characteristics of a genuine narcissistic person.

I was hoping for a better example, and a more effective way to deal with a them and why it is alright to cut them out of your life.  Maybe someone could see themselves and realize they need help

Showing 1-10 of total 161 Comments