Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

(Original Air Date: 11/01/12) Suzanne says her sister, Jennifer, is a neglectful parent, and she's considering taking action to gain custody of Jennifer’s three children. Suzanne says when the family's home caught fire, Jennifer saved her daughter's friend's baby and left her own children to fend for themselves. Jennifer's 16-year-old daughter, Alyssa, suffered a broken ankle after jumping from the second story, and her 12-year-old son ran back into the burning house to save his 9-year-old sister. Jennifer maintains she is a good mom, and says there was too much smoke and fire to go back for her kids. Was there more she could have done? Is there truth behind Suzanne's accusations? Then, hear Alyssa's emotional plea to Jennifer. Will it make an impact? Don't miss this compelling Dr. Phil.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: chrissie45 on Oct 15, 2013, 11:26AM
This mother shows many red flags of a narcissistic personality disorder. Her lack of concern for her daughter, her lack of empathy, her lying and story telling, her replies referring exclusively to how much she herself suffered. The lack of love. She seems out of touch with the real world (another red flag). She doesn't care at all to see her daughter in pain. Reacting to her daughter as if she is an adult. It is just all about her.
If she is indeed a N, I don't understand why Dr. Phil holds on to the suggestion that these people can be treated or fixed. They cannot. They can be tamed, or kept under control. But as soon as the spotlights and attention are gone they will be their old selves again. And in the end, the children will always pay the price.
I am really glad that the Dr. Phil show does pay attention to NPD now. This was not always the case. But this show doesn't seem to hit the heart of the problem.

Replied By: strine on Jul 12, 2013, 1:20AM - In reply to breeanna
Her 12yr old little boy ran back in to rescue his 9yr old sister, so it seems unlikely she would have burned to death going back to get HER child. Sorry, I couldn't live knowing my child could have been saved by me. I would have nightmares even if my kids lived through that.

Replied By: strine on Jul 12, 2013, 1:18AM
It seems more than a coincidence that the same household have had two fires. Seems like someone in that family is trying to get rid of the rest of their family/parents of their girlfriend. As I said it seems like more than a coincidence and I hope no one ends up dead in that family because something screwy is happening there beyond the living arrangements.

Replied By: davidfromla on Mar 27, 2013, 5:03PM
What a dysfunctional situation! I was most sympathetic for Alyssa; I felt her mother was clearly creating a scenario favoring Torie as the new replacement daughter. I wanted, however, for Dr. Phil to explore how both Torie and Alyssa's boyfriend came to live in the household in the first place. I suspect Alyssa begged the mother to allow both to move in, and the mother didn't have the foresight or good judgment to say no. I know Dr. Phil doesn't have the time to delve into everything, but I really wish he would have examined why the ex-husband was living there, and why the new husband would move into a household knowing the ex-husband was already there.If the ex-husband was NOT already there, I can't understand how the new husband would allow him to move in. If the new husband was there before Torie and Alyssa's boyfriend moved in, I can't fathom how he would allow the mother tomake such poor decisions. Advice to the mother: evict the ex-husband and Alyssa's boyfriend, send Torie to live with Torie's father, and make amends with Alyssa and her other biological children.

Replied By: mnshadgold on Mar 24, 2013, 11:39PM
I watched this whole show just a few moments ago. I am absolutely shocked. I believe helping people is good but family must be set first before outsiders. Tori and her baby may be in need but that's her problem she can seek out her own family, friends or welfare or something to help her out. She doesn't seem like a bad person but this favortism the mother Jennifer is showing towards an outsider Tori is creating a major rift in her family. It is not worth the damage she is doing to her own biological daughter and to her relationship with her sister. 

The judgement calls this woman Jennifer makes is shocking. Where in her right mind did she think having the biological father of Alyssa living with her while she has married a new man is a good idea? I'm divorced but in no circumstances would I ever live with my ex husband. He's an EX for a reason. This is just insanity.

And I agree with Dr. Phil about the Alyssa's boyfriend. What the heck was Jennifer thinking? I mean really...her daughter is 16 and having sex with this boy and he has access to the 9 year old. What lessons is this mother teaching her younger children. I will tell you this I hope and pray that Dr. Phil can help Jennifer get her act together because believe me those kids are going to absorb all of this like sponges.

My mother and father used me as a pawn in their marriage and I was always to blame. If my mother wasn't blaming me for something or my father then I just figured out how it was my fault. I grew really depressed as a teenager and started cutting. My mother and father were never there for me emotionally nor could meet me. Its part of the reason I ran to seek out a man to fill this empty hole in my soul. I own up to my mistakes as an adult and I am making changes but there is much rage in me at my mother. 

I want to forgive her but I WILL NEVER forget what she has done to me or my father. And when I have my own place and I possibly get married and have kids there will be perhaps very limited contact or none at all. I don't know until the future happens so I'm trying not to make decisions based on something that hasn't happened quite yet but believe me kids will turn around and hate you for what your doing to them.

Alyssa is gunna end up hating her mother and receiving some bad messages internally unless this situation gets addressed. And seriously kick the freakin boyfriend, ex husband and Tori and the baby out!

Help out Tori sure by making sure she has a place to go. Ex husband...whatever its his problem. He's an EX! And the boyfriend...? Two words: GET OUT! 

That's just my take on it. I'm sure the counciling will help. I just pray its not too late to repair damage. Sometimes you don't get second chances with your kids. I'm barely able to look my mother in her eyes and have a pleasant conversation. Perhaps as I continue to heal and see my councilor one day we can have a better relationship but for now there isn't much I can do. 

Replied By: niko2357 on Mar 22, 2013, 8:58PM
Well all I can say is....My house was burnt down August 9th, 2012 @ 4:11am there was 8 of us in the house. I can tell you 1st hand that when you are faced with something like this You get ALL your children out of the house NOTHING stops you.A stranger driving by my house woke me up. I then woke ALL the kids and sent them outside and yes I had to run through smoke and flames to get them all but nothing in this world was stopping me. When we all went outside I counted heads again and I help my children and thanked God we all made it out. I had no insurance, It never crossed my mind where to place any of the kids. I got a joining hotel room, all EIGHT of us stayed in there until we found a place. I knew my kids just went through a life changing experience and they needed THEIR MOTHER.. No matter how scared I was no matter how hard it was for me to stay strong I had to do it.. And my youngest son is Autistic.. I have NO sympathy for this lady she should be ashamed of herself its very obvious her children dont come 1st... I hope this mother sees the light because her children are being hurt from her poor choices. She looked heartless she showed NO emotion. I was in tears watching the show it brought up so many memories.

Replied By: drnatalie on Mar 22, 2013, 4:59PM
I am in shock that a mother could be so overtly cruel to her own children.  This mother needs to get the priorities in her life straight!  It;s not her job to take care of a reckless teen mom and her baby!  Her own daughter is on the fringe of becoming a teen mom as well.  This is what happens when parents don't step up to the plate and be an active part of their children's lives!  The children become products of terrible parenting.  

TO JENNIFER:  Of course Alyssa is "full of hate" as you say.  She has every right to be with the way you have been acting.  You are her mother, the most important person in Alyssa's life.  Get your act together, woman!

Replied By: lauren26 on Mar 22, 2013, 4:12PM
I think it would natural instinct to fight for your kids and do whatever it takes to save them. She doesn't seem have that mother's instinct .That aside, if you knew how hurt your daughter felt about ithe fire you wouldn't live and care for with her ex-friend, you would be making it up to her! This is making everything worse. Maybe she was in shock during the fire, but the flames have been out and she is still neglecting her children. Did you look at her face when he daughter was in tears- completely blank! When asked to describe her daughter - all negative, not one nice remark, however she was full of compliments about the daughters ex-friend! So strange, the kids are probably better of with out her.

Replied By: drm2kids on Mar 22, 2013, 4:01PM - In reply to drphilphane468
You are crazy lady cuz dr Phil should be hard on this mom! Way to go dr Phil!!!  Don't change!!!!

Replied By: drm2kids on Mar 22, 2013, 3:59PM
Dr. Phil, 

I believe this mom has no idea how much her daughter is hurting!

i really feel for these kids! Please help them like you always do because lord

knows their mom has no clue! Thanks

Showing 1-10 of total 89 Comments