Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

(Original Air Date: 10/17/12) It’s a case that has made national headlines and garnered celebrity support: In 1995, then-17-year-old human trafficking victim Sara Kruzan was sentenced to life in prison without parole for murdering her alleged pimp. Many who believed the teen was the real victim and deserved a lesser sentence launched the “Free Sara” campaign, pleading for the case to be revisited. With clemency eventually granted, Sara, now 34, will be eligible for parole after she serves 25 years. How did this one-time honor roll student get lured into the dark world of prostitution? Sara’s aunt, Anne, blames her niece’s mom, Nicole. Did Nicole turn a blind eye to her daughter’s troubles, leaving her vulnerable to predators? Anne and Nicole come face to face on Dr. Phil’s stage for the first time in 15 years. Then, Academy Award-winning actress Mira Sorvino, who plays the wife of a human trafficking investigator in the movie Trade of Innocents, weighs in on the case. Plus, hear about new legislation that may help teens like Sara receive more compassionate sentences. Then, Kim says her 17-year-old son, Brayton, steals, runs away and has even called in a fake bomb threat at school. Kim blames Brayton’s absentee father, Doug, for their son’s behavior. Doug, who has never met Brayton, has been paying child support for years, but still questions if he’s really the teen’s father. See what happens when he comes face to face with Brayton for the first time on Dr. Phil’s stage. And, don’t miss the results of their paternity test. Is Doug Brayton's father?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: michelle1505 on Feb 13, 2014, 3:13AM
Juat watched this show and I do feel bad for the dad. The way that woman started attacking Doug the moment he sat down, clear to me how the dad topic had been handled at home all Brayton his life. How is it fair that Doug heared about that kid after two years and is still expected to pay child support. I am pretty sure that mother only spoke bad about his father and that is why that kid is so bitter and angrily and believes his mom. The way he was acting on the show, sure that his dad is going to do everything in his power to build a relation and that kid is going to hold it off and expect more and more without giving his father a real chance to tell his side of the story. The fact that he came on the show says it all. But like I said the way his mom started attacking straight away. As long as she is in the way and butting in, that man is not going to get a chance to work on  this.

Replied By: honestly2 on Jul 28, 2013, 12:58AM - In reply to geminikimbers
I agree with you.  we are thankful to have had influences in our lives as children and teens at 5, 11, 13..,16.  Who demonstrated positive behavior . Decent  people who encouraged us to do the eight thing and Loved us .. Not havivg a childs mindlooking for a resposible adult to TEACH  us,,,,,,, SOME  are protected , given internal lessons, guided to goodness and success...Shoulld a child be responsible for a negligent parent.?Would a decent man manipulae or PLAY a childd   Sara has experienced , suffered the ignorance of  bad influences as she struggled as a Child to do well in school inspite of a self admitted abusive Mother.Eighteen years is one childs liifetime.Sara has strivedto do better.....in prison and before an adult was allowed to lure ....andmanipulate.scruples,.Who  issupposed to teach a child so they  grow KNOWING.? SARA raised  herself....WHY? She was a teen .In prison she has learned and strived to educate herself.  Who accepted responsibility? Please give this remorseful  young lady a second chance. Whar were  you taught as a child.,.Were decent people in your 

Replied By: geminikimbers on Jul 27, 2013, 8:50AM
I watched Dr. Phil today, scanning over the topics that I Tvoed all week and this show has affected me more than any other show I have watched.  I can't believe that this child is in jail and it makes no sense.  It took me about 30 minutes to figure out how to log into Dr. Phil so that I could post my opinion over this situation and I am still tearing up about this situation.  That girl needs to be freed today, I can't get over the fact that she was actually charged with a crime.  She was abused prostituted out and then she kills her pimp.  She should be thanked and praised because that man is not around to hurt another child.  I can't help but think that her mother should be in jail.  Her mother's appearance and ticks alone indicates that she is a drug addict and her ignorance regarding the child just makes no sense.  Please find a way to get the girl out of jail.  I am going to google her now to figure out what I can do to help.  I just can't believe they locked her up for this crime.  What is wrong with people.

Replied By: nawells12 on Jul 26, 2013, 5:36AM - In reply to honestly2
You are right! Zimmerman killed in defiance of police instruction to leave the situation alone and was aquited of murder.
This girl killed in response to, not a vague treat, but  a real harm done, and was jailed.
Justice is very uneven.

Replied By: honestly2 on Jul 26, 2013, 3:56AM - In reply to ggails
  1. George Z   was an  uncooperative, grown, adult, in  a CAR...a vehicle..who did not listen to or follow directions..who followed stalked a kid coming from the store minding his own business.  HOW OLD IS A CHILD in America? HOW adult of Mr Zimmerman.  IS IT PERMISSABLE to stalk children ..?Have somone follow your child in a car, with a weapon as he walks to his residence, Put your arrogance a w a y  and be truthful and rational.A child deserves to be safe, Adults are to 4providsthat....not take life form them.  THE  Martin Family did not have to have their child taken by someine who oursued him, He lives with his mentality,...therefore heis not free,  Recognixe your ignirance, Would your child defend themself if confronted after followed by someone ? A grown man..Your child deserves safety

Replied By: shaquana on Jul 26, 2013, 3:29AM - In reply to mikesb
You mean .. protect the rest of the pimps and child molesters from their victimns?

Replied By: lovedrphil1129 on Jul 25, 2013, 9:26PM
Today"s show hit me , My heart hurts for sara..!!  I think & Feel this little girl got a undeserving sentence..I will pray for her & hopes she gets a new trial!! I also feel she didn"t have a chance from the begining, her mother made me ill she is to me unhuman..to let all that happen to her daughter and act like it never happen..free sara she deserves a new chance!!!

Replied By: jadenovember on Jul 25, 2013, 6:49PM
Free sara

Replied By: mommatoad on Jul 25, 2013, 6:36PM - In reply to strine
I agree Brayton's mother should have contacted the natural father a second time - after their son's birth.But we should add in the fact this child was born with serious life-threatening medical issues, as the mother of  a child with similar health problems present at birth, I assure you tracking down an absent father - especially one who does not want to be involved, who feels a one night stand cancels conception, whose in the military and shipping out... would be the farthest thing in my mind initially as my focus ... unlike Sara's contrasting Mother, would center on my child.

Replied By: mommatoad on Jul 25, 2013, 6:23PM
Since so much focus is on Sara, I'll put in my two cents about Bayton. It touched my heart, as I'm sure it did with others, to witness Brayton' reaction each time Dr.Phil said the right thing - you could see it so clearly on Brayton's face. Being told his absent father had the past 17 years in which to have a say then telling Brayton the moment had arrived in which he now made that choice was healing... not only for Braxton, but for anyone in a similar situation. I sincerely hope Brayton grasps what he's been given - validity for feeling he had been denied, a legitimate right to feel angry at what life had handed him so far. The foundation which allows this young man the opportunty to do what his excuse filled father failed - to become a responsible man, future husband and a good father as he has risen above the fray.

Showing 1-10 of total 77 Comments