Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

A 17-year-old Dallas boy recently made headlines after he told police that he killed his mom and sister just because he wanted to. Would you know if you were raising a killer? In a very rare and emotional interview, hear from Jeff, whose son, Andy, became a school shooter. He says in 2001, his then 15-year-old son went to school with a .22 caliber revolver and 40 bullets in his backpack and opened fire on his classmates. Jeff recounts the tragic day and shares the signs he says he may have missed in his son. Then, go inside the mind of the shooter, when Dr. Phil speaks with Andy from prison. What does he say led him to want to perpetrate the shooting? Is he remorseful for his actions? Plus, Nicole and Jim say they’re so frightened of their 15-year-old son that they check in with each other up to 50 times a day to make sure each other is safe. Why does Nicole say she’s 150 percent sure her son is capable of killing someone? And, Kelly and Nick say their 14-year-old son is obsessed with guns and makes homemade bombs. They say when he gets angry, his behavior is out of control, and he lashes out to extremes. Kelly says she’s at her wits' end and is ready to turn their son over to the authorities. Hear why their son says he’s not violent, just misunderstood. If you fear your child is headed down a dark path, don’t miss the top warning signs.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: strine on Feb 28, 2013, 8:57PM - In reply to millertas
The parents of teenagers who kill other people say, "He was just a kid who got angry because of xyz"...yep young teenagers get angry and can't think through the consequences and that's why you don't keep a gun in your house. Kids will grab the first thing handy to hurt someone else and some kids take longer to grow out of it- some adults still act on impulse. No guns are good guns.

Replied By: strine on Feb 28, 2013, 8:52PM
Hi, we have moved once since we had our kids. My son was in yr2 and he made new friends easily because the kids were all still so young and accepting. My daughter (in yr5) had a harder time because she was younger than all the other girls and they deliberately ostracized her and teased her because she came from another state. SInce she started high school she has made so many new friends because her high school has 10 feeder primary schools and she got to meet new young people with things in common. It makes me sad to think of young kids being made to leave their friends 12 times. OMG no wonder they're having such a hard time when their support base is pulled again and again. Why bother trying to make friends if you know you have to leave them again? I hope those young men learn new ways to cope with their anger and feelings of loss because they deserve great lives.

Replied By: millertas on Feb 28, 2013, 6:56PM - In reply to wildweezie
A little behind in shows here down under but could not agree with you more. It seems too easy from here for anyone in the USA to grab a high powered gun a discharge it in public. This may be not the main reason why people are dying from these angry young men but it is far too easy to obtain a gun in the US but Dr. Phil is relunctant to mention it. He just said "I'm not an anti-gun guy". Why not Dr. Phil? Can't you see that the ease of obtaining a firearm makes it far too easy to kill? I also invite viewers to watch my video
"Why Gun Control Saves Lives Extreme ER S1 Ep4" on youtube where an English Trauma Doctor who is visiting Jo'burg South Africa (One of the most violent cities in the world) explains how their anti-gun laws saves lives. Dr. Phil himself advocates for tough action when it comes to Illicit Drugs (such as ICE). Surely he'd advocate tougher gun laws or are the pro-gun organisations (such as the NRA) that powerful in the United States that they scare Dr. Phil?

Replied By: tburdett on Dec 29, 2012, 1:56AM
I knew Charles "Andy" Williams when he lived in Twentynine Palms.  He used to go to school with my oldest child, Brian.  My Brian was extremely shy and was picked on by his classmates because he lacked self-confidence and suffered from a mild muscle disability that slowed his movements.  One day Brian came home from school shortly after starting his freshman year in high school and asked if he could call his friend.  I calmly said, "Sure," but inside I was elated that he had a friend.  Andy was this friend that my son desperately needed.  We soon had him over to the house and got to know his grandparents.  Brian would hang out at the park and watch Andy play baseball.  They were great company for each other.  I refer to the Andy that I knew as an angel sent from heaven because he was just what my Brian needed right when he needed a friend most.  Andy moved the summer before both boys were about to start their sophomore year.  Again, the bullying started.  Brian shared some of the events with us but also included the support he had from other students that made his day bearable and sometimes even delightful.  Andy wasn't so fortunate.  He was at a big school and knew very few people.  So when my son, Brian, was tragically killed when he was run over by his own school bus on February 7, 2001, the day before Andy's 15th birthday, he did not have the social support needed to get him through the loss of his friend.  Less than one month later is when Andy opened fire on his campus.  We soon learned that the bus driver who ran over my son was on meth, seven times what was considered to be under the influence.  While I was still morning the loss of my own child, I appeared in the courtroom the day Andy was sentenced.  The message I had for the victims fell on deaf ears but the message is still the same today as it was then.  I was raised to believe that things happen for a reason.  But there is no reason for such senseless acts of violence.  A friend told me something that I do my best to live by today.  When bad things happen, and the will, it is up to us to make good come from them.  I was able to get CA law changed regarding mechanical crossing arms on busses.  I was able to form a district anti-bully committee that initiated several programs in our schools, and as a middle school teacher, I am the activities director on my campus to promote activities that help all students enjoy our school and get to know each other better.  I still miss my son but I have learned to live with him in a different way.  I only hope that other victims and their families can do the same.

Replied By: KateBauer on Oct 15, 2012, 8:37AM
Good grief, no wonder, both your boys are having severe problems.  We moved twice and it was very difficult for our son.  Thankfully, he is well adjusted, has a great job, and a successfull, loving marriage.  Having to always be the new kid, is certainly a way to set him up to be bullied.   I hope you get them in intense counceling.  Also, for the step-father that smokes artifical weed and name calls, "gee" you are a fine example of a parent!  Really you need to grow up.  As Dr. Phil often says, "he doesn't ask why, but why not" these boys have their problems.   The adults seemed to be in denial and don't want to accept the responsibiliy they have played in making these young men into the troubled ones they are.

Replied By: wildweezie on Oct 12, 2012, 5:38PM - In reply to joanrekos
But the gun really makes it easier.  Without one, it is more difficult to have a mass shooting.  The gun plays a pivitol role and needs to be removed.

Replied By: kylerlajoie on Oct 12, 2012, 3:51PM
I was at school on Monday when Andy Williams came out of the bathroom with a .22 caliber handgun. I watched as my friends were shot. I held my friends arm while blood poured from it. I heard round after round pinged off the coke machine I was hiding behind. I felt the fear and confusion pouring through my body. I showed up with flowers to put on MY school's sign. I walked past that bathroom where my fellow classmate was viciously murdered with a POINT BLANK round to the back of his head. I watched as my teacher held a dying student in his arms. I went to volleyball practice where three of my teammates sat on the bleachers with gunshot wounds. I talked to the victims of this crime. 

Some facts: On March 5, 2001, fifteen-year-old Santana High student Andy Williams began shooting, killing two, and wounding thirteen. Bryan Zuckor, a fellow student, was the first killed, as he and another student, Trevor Edwards, were shot in the bathroom where Williams began. Williams then exited the bathroom and headed for the Santana High School quad, where he opened fire on surrounding students and faculty. There, he fatally shot another student, Randy Gordon, and wounded twelve others (ten students and two staff). Williams then returned to the bathroom where he later surrendered to the police.

Andy reloaded his revolver not once or twice but multiple times. I can still see the front page of every local paper with Andy smiling as he was taken in handcuffs. Smiling! If he supposedly wanted suicide by cop then why did I watch as he walked out of the bathroom with out a gun in his hand. As far as I am concerned he should have been shot in cold blood as he did to Bryan and Randy. Yes I used thier names. I am not detached from this story like most watching. I am now pursuing my degree in psycology so I can hopefully help individuals that might commit such hanous crimes. His parents did not steal the gun, relad it several times, kill two children, and injure 13 more. Yes I am sure that the warning signs might have been over looked but that is no excuse to commit murder. At 15 years old I knew exactly what it meant to shoot someone. 

I am a firm believer in helping individuals that have a tough time coping with stressful situations, such as bullying, but the second that Andy took a gun to school and murdered two of my classmates, my sympathy went out the window. I was bullied at Santana also. When I told my mother of the situation she went to my guidance counselor and the situation was resolved. Stop blaming my school, his parents, our community! Blame the person responsible! That person is solely Andy Williams!

Replied By: cnpeanutbutter on Oct 12, 2012, 1:40PM
Mother and father are the common denominator between all teen problems!!!! Period!!!! Lack of parents or parents themselves. It amazes me how Jeff commented on what he tried to do at school. The blame is not the school, he is the problem. It amazes me of all problems that his son had and he says he couldn't believe that his son would do something like that at school. His son is on drugs, been abused, and  has complained about friends he hangs with. The one comment that Jeff made about his son being in prison with murderers, his son murdered that is where the father should be. His lack of parenting skills is why his son is in prison for murdering students.

Replied By: dalana417 on Oct 12, 2012, 10:53AM
My husband and I have been together for 11 years. His youngest son was 1 when we got together. He is now 12 (almost 13). He has not been in our home for 1 1/2 years. The last time he was alone with me was over 2 years ago, when he backed me up against a wall screaming and clinching his fist. He has been threatening and violent towards his siblings, mother and grandparents for years. When he "went off" on me, I asked my husband to not leave me alone w/him anymore. He repeatedly threatens to "Beat heads in w/baseball bats and stab (all) of us in our sleep" He has even threatened to shoot his grandmother.  He may be young but he is also very large (height and weight). My husband has reached out many times to him and has been in family therapy for the last 6 months trying to rebuild their relationship. I am supportive of this for my husbands sake but must admit I am scared his child will come back into our home and we will end up on the news as one of those "tragic" stories. I want to feel sorry for him b/c I understand why he is the way he is but that doesn't make me feel any safer. His children (he has 3) have been raised in a hostile environment. The ex-wife has lived w/her parents since their divorce. The parents hate my husband as bad as she does, and has since day one, I believe adding to the ex's rage. It is my un-professional opinion that both of the women in the house are SEVERE narcsissist. They are the sickest people I have ever known. Their (ex and grandparents) only goal the last 12 years is to get the children to HATE their father. Now, the oldest has chosen to live w/us, the middle child said she will move in next year (she has anger issues toward her mother) and the youngest sees us as the "enemy". If this was a simple case of parent alienation, I wouldn't be as concerned. What my main worry is that I am not sure if his son even has a concsious (spelling??) or the ability to give and recieve love. He seems to think, act and feel like his mother and grandmother. He is full of rage, not just towards us. He has bullied his older brother for years. Since he started rejecting his father, his mother rewards him for his "loyalty". There are rules for the other two children and basically no rules or punishments for his youngest. This started when his "daddy hate" started. The adults in this house are off the scale sick and unfortunetly I think his son has absorbed the sickness. I have never met a child that can scream at you all the way to school and the second he enters the door, he flips like a switch to the nicest kid you would ever want to meet. He can hold a grudge and hunger for revenge for years (learned behavior from his mother?). So at this point, he is a rage filled teenager who has been taught to HATE his father and now my husband is working on getting him back into our home. My husband is one of the kindest, most loving fathers I've ever met. I know what he wants more than anything is to have a loving relationship w/his son. I just feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I love my husband very much but I really don't want me and my daughter murdered in our sleep. Any suggestions as to how to approach my husband when the day comes (if it ever does) that his son is acclamented back into our home???

Replied By: stacyc70 on Oct 12, 2012, 3:25AM - In reply to ksmith79
I understand where you are coming from. I have a 16 year old son that has been violent towards me many times. It is very hard to deal with and stressful. Sometime I just don't know which way to turn. I give you lots of credit for dealing with all the issues. Remember other people do not understand because they have not gone through anything like this. If they have they would not judge you and know that you are doing your best.

Showing 1-10 of total 60 Comments