Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

One year ago, Bob and Ginger wrote Dr. Phil, desperately seeking help for their 29-year-old daughter, Morgan, who they said was slowly starving herself to death. At the time, Morgan was down to a mere 80 pounds, her organs had begun to shut down, her extremities were blue, and they said they believed Morgan’s 20-year battle with anorexia was nearing a tragic end. With their plea for help answered, Morgan was scheduled to be a guest on Dr. Phil, but days before she was to appear on the show, she backed out, claiming she could “handle her own recovery.” Now 120 pounds, Morgan has put on weight but says that she is treating her eating disorder -- and the anxiety she feels from gaining weight -- with the help of prescription pills. She admits to sometimes taking as many as 20 Xanax in one day, and says she’s so desperate to end her pain that she’s put a gun to her head to end her life -- four times. Morgan admits that she’s become an “exceptional liar” and has deceived her way through seven treatment facilities. Her parents say they feel helpless, and her mother, Ginger, admits that sometimes she wishes, “God would just take her.” Dr. Phil takes a close look into Morgan’s family dynamics. How may her parents be enabling her behavior and jeopardizing her recovery? If someone you love is battling an eating disorder, don’t miss this powerful Dr. Phil.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: jamiekisskiss on Jul 24, 2013, 5:40PM - In reply to alphak555
This girl really needed a lot of help, and all you care about is the show not being entertaining enough for you?

Replied By: thegymbum on Jul 17, 2013, 12:01AM - In reply to ojghtyefty
ojghtyefty- I think that there's a minority of people who develop similar problems without any recognizable reason. I've battled severe anorexia for more than a decade, but before that, my life was a fairy tale... people always prod me to try to find out if something happened because "this can't happen for no reason" according to some! But really there's nothing that I've ever been able to identify that triggered it. It just happened. So who knows, there's a chance that she never had a cause...

Replied By: thegymbum on Jul 16, 2013, 11:56PM
Does anyone have any info on how Morgan has been doing since the show? I'm always interested in how people featured on the show have fared in the long run...  

Replied By: alphak555 on Feb 27, 2013, 6:46PM
I love watching dr Phil but the shows with eating disorders and drug addiction are all the same and it is like watching repeat after repeat of the same show!  I deleted this episode when I found out it was about anorexia and drug addiction! 

Let me guess! The parents enable the girl and dr Phil gets tough with the parents then sends the girl to rehab which is a top of the line high cost place that normal people can't afford! 

I think the producers of the show are having a hard time creating new topics and just repeat the same stuff over and over!  I am expecting the dr Phil family and Alex to be on the show again! I won't watch because I am sick of the same thing but that topic keeps on getting thrashed to death while most viewers can't stand the girl! 

Please find other topics to address that are not addictions, weight problems or bullies! 

Replied By: shannon11 on Oct 20, 2012, 6:51PM
Morgan I too have struggled with restricting eating.  I have never struggled with drugs but I also have OCD.  I no longer struggle with the food issues and barely with the OCD.  I felt like you had a breakthrough on the show!  I do agree that God put you there in that moment and allowed you to feel his love.  I've had those moments in my struggle with the eating disorder and OCD where I just feel loved, realize what I'm doing to myself is heartbreaking, and see a way out.  Hold onto that moment when your tempted to go back.  Before you can even get into your illness just take a second to remember how you felt on that stage!  I believe you needed that!  Best of luck to you!  I'll be thinking of you.  Shannon

Replied By: blgspc on Oct 15, 2012, 8:49PM
I hope that Morgan gets the help that she needs. Anorexia and Addiction, the combination is going to be tough to treat.

I really didn't care for the VERY dramatic even hostile turn Dr. Phil did with Morgan's parents. I heard two worried, tired, and anxious parents express concerns about any contribution that they may have made to her long-standing illness after Dr. Phil specifically asked them for that information. Dr. Phil then distorts their concerns to be about, "Me! Me! Me!" So much for being a "Safe Place To Talk About Tough Things."

It is this element in his shows that is QUITE off-putting for sane thinking people. Verbally attacking Morgan's parents didn't help Morgan for a second!

Replied By: ponygirl1998 on Oct 12, 2012, 1:04PM - In reply to amyway68
I am so sorry about the loss of your son. My college boyfriend was the first male I had met who had struggled with eating disorders. As someone who was a self-recovering bulimic at the time (I knew if my parents knew they would just be mad at how it reflected on them, not supportive, so my only option was to recover in silence), I had never known men/boys could be afflicted as well. Again, I am so so sorry for the loss of your beautiful son.

Replied By: ponygirl1998 on Oct 12, 2012, 12:57PM
I don't mean to sound cruel, but it seems that the anorexic women/girls Dr. Phil has on his show almost always talk in whiney baby wha wha voices. Is part of the illness a desire to stay a child? Or is it part of the manipulative aspect of the disease, an attempt to elicit sympathy to get what they want? I have a brother addicted to pain meds, and his whole m.o. is to act like a victim/really sweet guy (unless you don't "loan" him that $20 he needs for "gas." It seems infantile to me but seems to be a common ploy with manipulators.

Replied By: mountain_moss on Oct 12, 2012, 11:51AM
When I watched the show that day I found myself in tears praying for her. I couldn't believe her parents, after learning that she attempted suicide twice, didn't jump out of their chairs hug her, hold her and tell her how much they loved her and how improtant she is. I was so angry with them. That girl needs loved plan and simple. She needs to know that she is a child of God! She has value and is worthy to live a fullfilling life. 

I was so pleased that Dr.Phil handled things the way he did. He is an awesome human being with incredible abilities.

Replied By: jacksontwins on Oct 12, 2012, 5:53AM
I was so surprised that not one of her family reached out to hug her. It was pitiful the lack of emotion I saw in her family!  I could see the compassion in Dr. Phils, I thought he might be the one to give her a hug. I did see some emotion in her Dad but if it was one of my children I would have been standing beside her with my arm around her. I will be praying for this poor girl and giving thanks for people like Dr. Phil. I saw more compassion on Dr. Phil's wife face than on Morgan's Mothers face!

Stick with it Morgan, you can do it .Many many people are pulling and praying for you!

Showing 1-10 of total 32 Comments