Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

(Original Air Date: 10/12/12) Dr. Phil’s guests say they’re fed up with their loved ones who keep bullying them about their weight. First, Valinda says her husband, Doug, calls her “Fatty,” “Wide Load” and “Big Girl” and even makes cow noises while she eats ice cream. She says the constant ridicule is not only damaging her self-esteem, but it’s also destroying their marriage. Valinda says she’s tried diets and has successfully lost weight but claims that Doug’s lack of support sabotages her progress. Doug says he’s just trying to help motivate his wife to get healthy. Dr. Phil reminds Doug, who has a Ph.D. in behavioral psychology, that he’s way off the mark. Then, Donna says she’ll try to lose weight, but only if her son, Gary stops picking on her about her size. Gary says his mom is lazy and needs to start exercising and stop eating junk food. Hear why his criticism may be adding more pounds to his mother’s frame. Plus, Liz Vaccariello, author of The Digest Diet, discusses the power of positivity in weight loss. Don’t miss her tips on shedding unwanted pounds. And, meet Adrienne, who has struggled with her weight since she was a teen. She says she has finally lost more than 60 pounds with Liz’s help. Can she help inspire Valinda and Donna to get healthy? If you or someone you know is struggling with weight loss, tune in!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: monkeyduck on Jul 10, 2013, 6:31PM
I wish Dr. Phil had spent a little more time examining the reason Valinda is digging in her heels about losing weight. First, if she loses weight he wins, and after his verbal abuse, she doesn't want to let him win, even though she also loses. 

Then there is also the fact that his abuse has hurt her so badly she probably questions her love or hatred for him.  So, if she works hard and loses weight, maybe her self confidence will grow and then what?  Will she be able to forgive his abuse or will she decide she deserves better?  And what about their children?  How does this affect them?  She probably stays fat because she doesn't want to deal with the bigger issue of what she may be compelled to do if she does lose weight.  She knows what a jerk he can be and knows he would be that big of a jerk in a divorce proceeding.  It just seems easier to get her comfort from food and hide in her weight issue than to deal with all of the turmoil that losing weight might bring. It's just not worth the fight.  

Had her husband been supportive and loving instead of a pompous ass, Valinda wouldn't be as heavy as she is.  I hope Dr. Phil offers marriage counseling as well as weight loss help, because in my book her husband needs as much or more help than she does. 

I hope she can lose the weight and heal her self image.  My prayers are with her.

Replied By: loyalalways on Jul 6, 2013, 7:35PM
When anyone is trying to kick an addiction they need SUPPORT, not criticism. All criticism does is push the addict toward their addiction. Why can't people see a food addiction the same way as alcohol or drug addiction - an ILLNESS? Overweight people already have low self-esteem. Criticizing them only enhances that low self-esteem. People need to have more compassion instead of assuming the worst about a person.

By the way, just for the record, I'm not overweight. I'm underweight. But, I try to find the positive in people and understand them until they've proven otherwise. We need to try harder to see people as innocent until proven guilty instead of the other way around. It's hard sometimes, but we should at least try.

Replied By: pjmcfox on Jul 5, 2013, 7:41PM
In watching the show, it concerned me that you didn't emphasize that people have different body types and what they eat affects them differently based on many things, and that the men on the show were over the line on pushing their opinions on the women. Compulsive over eating if thats what they are doing is a disease just like alcoholism, that also includes mental physical emotional and spiritual components. A diet plan and coach can help only if they want it and then might not last as long as they don't treat the underlying problems.

I also learned from experience that a brain injury and resultant surgeries can impact the bodies weight significantly without eating. I gained 100 lbs while all I was doing was drinking water and juice through a straw int he hospital. I have been fighting my weight every since and eat less than most people.

Society needs to stop passing judgement on people of different body types and treating them like they do. Being overweight, complete strangers think its fine to make rude comments to me when I'm in public. My response is, you cannot judge a persons insides from their outsides. I respect people have reasons for why they are the way they are, and help them if they ask for help but not berate them. It seems the people who have no problem with their weight because their metabolism allows them to eat lots without impact are the worst offenders.. The problem with our society is that it makes assumptions about people of different body sizes without knowing the whole story.   Not everyone who is overweight is diabetic or has highblood pressure. People can have trouble walking for reasons other than their weight.

Replied By: andiepie15 on Jul 5, 2013, 7:12PM
something you do for yourself.  If you are losing weight for someone else, chances are you will not be successful.  I KNOW!!

These women have to decide to to do this to make themselves healthier. 

:)  Andiepie17

Replied By: rustyrebel on Jul 5, 2013, 4:09PM
Valinda admits she knows she is overweight.  She points out that she has two degrees.  She points out that she understands the dynamics of her overeating in defiance of her husbands criticisms...that she overeats 'comfort foods'...that her overeating is self-destructive.  But she also points at her husband's criticisms as an excuse to overeat...and, being the smart woman she says she is...she is also aware that her overeating, her obsession with self-destruction cause her husband frustration...to the point of him making himself look like an idiot in light of his area of expertise - behavioral science....her actions punishes her husband.  There are as many reasons to be overweight as there are individuals...but there was something in Valinda's response to the dietician, and Dr. Phil's assessment, and the emotions that passed across both her, and her husbands' face....that indicated to me that Valinda's comfort in overeating is seeing the pain her obesity causes her husband.  (Ever notice obesity and obstinance are in the same section of the dictionary?) I don't think she will stop overeating until she examines this issue.

Replied By: guytar49 on Jul 5, 2013, 3:17PM
yes the men on the show should not make fun of their wifes but they should care about their health
to me they can eat until they pass out but think of the kids the husband and the rest of their family
i'm 65 years old my waist is 28 inch i walk an hour everyday i don't eat fat or meat no milk or eggs
i don't believe in diet but i believe in comment sense i know it's not easy but what are the other choices
so please think of other not only you they all love you guys very much so  make them happy.

Replied By: sharon029 on Jul 5, 2013, 3:06PM - In reply to gizzy1158
I am 58 years old and meaposal.That is no excuse for people not trying to loose weight.You can still do it..

Replied By: sharon029 on Jul 5, 2013, 3:03PM
A year ago this pst April I was told that I was dianosed with pre-diabetes.I knew I was over weight was didn't care about loosing weight cause I loved to eat.I went shopping if it looked good I bought it.I felt like a fat pig and I would cry and tell my husband I feel fat.He told me only you can do anything about it.I decided that day I had to get off my butt and do something .I no longer shop women's dept.I used to be womens size 20 pants,3x plus size shirts.I a now a size 8-10 pants and med-lg misses shirts.I have lost 661/2 pounds.I never read labels in the store.If it looked good I bought it and ate it.Today I read all labels.I do cheat if I said I didn't I would be lying.When I first started my program I stuck strict.Today I feel great and am proud on how I look.Anyone can do it.Just have to put your mind to it.

Replied By: housewife52 on Jul 5, 2013, 2:42PM
I do understand what this show was about. But, my thought is about Valinda's husband.  To me, it says a lot about his character, that he would ridicule his wife that way. I have to wonder, if she does lose the weight, will he just simply find something else? Did he pick on her about something else before she gained the weight? Sometimes when a man, or a woman, for that matter, is verbally abusive, it stems from a problem within themselves. It takes the spotlight off of them, and focuses it on the other person. IMO, a man who loves his wife, does not speak to her that way.  I think there is more to this story. I think that when a person needs to lose weight, stop drugging, stop drinking, whatever the vice may be, they must do it first for themselves.

Replied By: gizzy1158 on Jul 5, 2013, 2:28PM
I have to say that I am alittle upset with the Friday, July 5th show.  The reason is this.  Your guests were at or past menopausal age and you are trying to help them lose weight.  That's great but you bring out a women that has lost weight that is in her 30's and a person that wrote a book doesn't look like she knows what menopause is yet either.  The different seasons in a women life have very different body changes.  Someone in their 30's can lose weight much faster than a women that has gone through or going through the change of life.  It simple can not be compared and I am upset that you did.  To me, it's no different than the men in those women's lives that were calling them names.  If you are trying to help women lose weight, then show them someone their own age that has lost weight and how they were able to do so.

Showing 1-10 of total 60 Comments