Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

(Original Air Date: 01/08/09) It’s estimated that as many as 1 million American men have an eating disorder, but because of the perception that it’s a female problem, many of them don’t seek help. Dr. Phil speaks with two guests who courageously speak out about their obsession with diet and exercise. Diagnosed with anorexia, 15-year-old Eric says he’d be happy if he could have zero body fat. What started out as a healthy habit of exercising with his father has turned into an obsession that is putting his life at risk. Eric’s parents, Ken and Becky, are tired of the daily battle in the kitchen when it comes to preparing his food, and they worry about their younger son, who doesn’t get as much attention as his older brother. Is there hope for this young man? And, 22-year-old Troy is a health and physical education teacher who says he can’t practice what he preaches. At 5-foot 11-inches and a mere 138 pounds, Troy says exercising and calorie counting has taken over his life, and he doesn’t know how to stop. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: wolfy2010 on Jan 26, 2013, 10:06PM
I think the boy on this show needs to realize what he is doing to his body!!
His parents should have made him pull down his pants and underwear so that we can see his nude body and what he is doing to it!!1
He should have also been spanked on his bare behind!!!

Replied By: keelco23 on Apr 13, 2011, 5:24AM
I am watching a Dr Phil re-run and came across this story. Does any one knwo how Eric is doing noe, 2 years later?  He seems like such an intelligent, nice young man.  I hope he is better

Replied By: trainright on Jun 9, 2009, 1:36PM
How about complementing these young Men! They show dedication. If they packed on 10-20lbs of Muscle, maybe they could enter a bodybuilding competition. The key here is... Weight gain. Muscle gain. And mixing up the workouts, to give the body rest. Sounds like they are overtraining one muscle constanly, which is actualy causeing atrophy of the muscles. That can make it spiral outa control real fast.

Sounds like they are smart & they'll always know how to eat good & be lean. Put it to good use. Find a good fitness trainer & pack on some Muscle weight. Best of luck to you both.

Yours in Health & Fitness,

Monique, Minnesota
Certified Fitness Trainer

Replied By: leenaria on Jun 7, 2009, 8:38AM - In reply to murphie
I'm  a recovered AN- patient, but still have an ED.  I believe the best way to make sure they understand the dangers, is looking to each teen's own desires and needs.  For me, it was all about dying, but my muscles were my pride. Find that special something that still gives your child a proud feeling about his- or herself. There's always something left, something they really don't wanna loose.

Do not fight about eating, all that's gonna do, is making the patient more sure of his own choices.

Replied By: karensh58 on Jun 6, 2009, 10:54AM - In reply to overcomeed
My da ughter was a patient at Rogers for 11 months. Much longer than the 3-4 months they recommend. When she did not respond to their over use of shock therapy and and 12 different medications, their suggestions to us was"put her in a nursing home and you and your family can get on with your lives!" She was 21! Sorry thats not the way we support on another.  Dr. Weltzin talks a good talk, but doesn't always follow thru. I wish that more research was done on this hospital, and that both sides were exposed for millions of viewers to see.

Replied By: faithinhusband on Jun 6, 2009, 8:26AM
When my husband was younger he was in out of hospitals for an eating disorder. When we met at his age of 22 he a healthy weight and eating very healthy. He worked out resembly. When he told me about his fight with anorexia at the age 15 , I never thought it would come back. You don't think of those things when you are madly in love.
I fell in love with a fun, loving, kind, always make me laugh man. We dated for 4 years and got engaged. That is when his relapse began. The stress of work, wedding , moving out, and family was really getting to him. He increased his work outs and decreased his fluids. At the time, I did not know what he was doing. During our honeymoon we ended up at the emergency room. My husband's legs were bloated. He was retaining about 20 pounds of fluid. We found out many months later his edema was caused by a virus. Ever since then he was in a panic. He was living in fear of edema. After a year a half he finally saw that he needed to gain weight. He tried to do it himself, until late July last summer. He knew he needed professional. We went into the same place that he went when he was younger. It was so different. They didn't seem to know what they were doing. They also did not provide him with therapy. They were just refeeding him. ED disorders are so much more than just eating. He signed himself out in September. He thought he could do this himself. With a lot of support ang discussions between the two of us he saw again that he needed help. He was in and out of the hospital for various reasons. I told him I did not want to sit back and watch the man I love die . Thank the Lord he saw this is no life to lead. Our lives were engolf in his OCD. Our life was limited to what we could do. I felt like an enable, but I am his wife all I wanted to do was enjoy our newlywed life and not deal with the fighting over what he was doing in the bathroom or by himself. I was always worried leaving him alone when I went to work. I needed people to check on him to make sure he was still alive.
As a newlywed, you begin to think did I bring this on? Am I the reason. I came to see that I am not the reason. He sees his body differently than we do. I see that what he needs now is to know I am standing by him. I want to help other wives or spouses who are in the same situation. There are not many out there that I have found.
As I watched this episode (many times), I felt like I could relate to the parents. I did feel like an enabler, but when I met him he knew so much about nutrition. He knew what was good and did what he preached. I trusted him. THis disease is so manipulating. The best way he put it was, "I feel like I was watching myself do these horrible things." "I want to stop, I need professional help."

Being 5'8 and weighing a merly 80 pounds he went to Rogers a few weeks ago. He just moved to residential yesterday. This is going to be a hard journey, but he needs support from the ones he loves. I just wish there were support groups for loved ones.

I hope our story can help others. People who have ED will struggle with this their whole lives, but they can find ways to overcome it. Keep strong and keep the faith.

As my husband said, "I am doing this for you and ME!" I understood he needed to want help himself, to be able to succeed. He is being so positive through the struggles he has already comforted!

Replied By: overcomeed on Jun 5, 2009, 4:55PM - In reply to crunchkp
My son has suffered with anorexia/bulemia for 8 years.  The self-worth issues, we now know, have been ongoing since he was little.  Five years ago he was treated at the Eating Disorder Center in Denver.  He relapsed on and off for the next few years.  Last summer, at this time, we took him to Rogers.  They said, had we waited a few more days, he would have been dead.  After treatment at Rogers and then at the new ERC in Denver, he has hope.  His issues are huge and he struggles, but he has not used any behaviors in 4 months. 
I too have felt the need to speak with other parents who understand the horrors of this disease.  I did not see the show today, but hope they dealt with the genetics involved with eating disorders and how devastating it is for the families, friends, as well as the person who has the eating disorder.  It is not just a matter of having them eat.  Recovery also isn't a short term thing...unfortunately it usually takes several times in treatment centers and maturity to help move the person to a state of wanting health.  Luckily Rogers produces results and knows what they are doing.  ERC is excellent as well and offers in-patient treatment for males and females. 
Best of luck to everyone who is dealing with this.  Get help for yourself if you are a caregiver and get help for the person who is eating disordered.  There is hope, but it takes a lot of perseverence and love--

Replied By: a_waystogo on Jun 5, 2009, 4:46PM
its tough to be a young man with ed. I have dealt with bulimia for the last 30 years when it first started it seemed harmless enough as it turned out it wasnt when i was in my twenties it seemed to be a  obsession i married had kids a trade and an ed i finally found my way out of it a few years ago with a real solid support system this is one where wringing your hands doesnt really help quite the opposite ps recovery is a process not an event godspeed

Replied By: homemakerx2boy on Jun 5, 2009, 4:11PM
I was so upset over the way Dr Phil started this show, My son was diagnosed with An at 12 we were on the Montel Williams show last year to find help, you do not ask an AN kid how much they weigh, or make jokes about the way Woman wish they had the will power not to eat, he should not be doing shows on subjects like this, at least he got Rogers Memorial Hospital to offer help

Replied By: im2sassy50 on Jun 5, 2009, 7:50AM
Dr. Phil,
  My son was anorexic and I was in denial. He played football in High school and weighed over 200 lbs. They called him BIG BOY and that is what changed him. He dropped down to 130 and is 6 ft. tall. When my friends and family continued to tell me that he was looking really bad, I started to pay attention. I talked & talked to him about his eating disorder to no avail. One afternoon I was doing dishes and he came into the kitchen and opened a cabinet door right next to me and suddenly slid down my body and was unconscious, I screamed to my husband and he called 911. My son was conscious when they arrived and they knew right away what the problem was and asked him when was the last time you ate, he said he couldn't remember. That was a turning point and we as a family started counseling. The eating disorder doctor that my son went to weaned him off of Mountain Dew a little at a time, he had to mark the  bottle every time he drank it and slowly he was not drinking it anymore. He started drinking Instant Breakfast, at the doctors advice. I  would also put fresh fruit in the drinks and blend them. He eventually was gaining his weight back. I am watching your show and this boy also said he would PUNCH things, wellll, my son also did that. It is an anger problem and also low self esteem. My son is now 33 years old and no anorexia for a very long time. Thank God we got help and this young boy on your show needs that too. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

From a mother who has been through this,
   Gaylee
   Westerville,Ohio

Showing 1-10 of total 39 Comments