Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

The shooting death of unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin left many in the nation outraged and the suspect, George Zimmerman, labeled “The Most Hated Man in America” by some, and a racist by others. In a Dr. Phil exclusive, Zimmerman’s best friends, Mark and Sondra Osterman, who kept George secretly hidden away for more than a month before his arrest, speak out for the first time about the controversy. Mark, who works in law enforcement, admits he went with Zimmerman to the shooting range and helped him pick out the gun used to kill Trayvon -- a gun that did not have an external safety. Hear why the couple believes Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch leader, had every right to carry the deadly weapon. Do they believe he did the right thing by opening fire? And, did Mark coach Zimmerman for his police interview? Then, Trayvon’s stepmom, Alicia, breaks her silence for the first time and shares what she believes happened that fateful night. Did Zimmerman act in self-defense? Should he be convicted of second-degree murder? Where do you stand on the heated case? Watch and weigh in at DrPhil.com.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: mimimemo on Jan 17, 2014, 4:47PM - In reply to craine
"Tray" DID have the right to be where he wanted to be..... and he MADE his choice.  He CHOSE to backtrack to the AREA WHERE HE SURMISED TROUBLE WAS.  He went BACK for the trouble, and he GOT IT.  He had EVERY RIGHT to go back to get the trouble he wanted to challenge so badly instead of trotting home like every other normal person who is being "stalked" and "in fear" for their lives.  GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!! :)

Replied By: atlhutch on Oct 21, 2013, 6:47PM
George Zimmerman is a lying murderer!  Its nice to be able to say what happen and have idiots believe it because he would never lie! Right?!!   Especially when the only other person there that night is no longer living!  Say what you want, but you are showing your racism when you automatically assume that Zimmerman has to be right, when someone's child is dead and not able to say his version of what happened!!!!  Never allow any truth in your thought process such as the bottom line  is that if he had NEVER followed that boy, never gotten out of his vehicle, if his racist behind had never assumed that he had to be up to something simpy because he was Black and Zimmerman felt he did not belong in his neighborhood, if he had done what the police had said do, the rest of it would have never happened!!!!

Replied By: munrotracy on Jul 23, 2013, 5:08PM
I think marijuana is something shows up in your system even though its smoked hours before i have known people who smoke marijuana who has buisnesses and important jobs it don"t impair your judgment especially if it's smoked regularly.Now if one of the rules of the neighbourhood watch was never carry a firearm while on watch you really have to wonder what state of mind Mr. Zimmerman was in.Then he was told by the 911 operator not to follow and he did........leaves a lot to wonder.To the people who says he innocent you're saying anyone could go to Florida with a license firearm shoot someone hopes no one sees and claim self defense.........Sweet   .......According to Dr. Phil and i think this is the best example there is because you have a license firearm and you are a teacher dosen't mean you should walk into a classroom with a gun strapped to your waist.

Replied By: loyalalways on Jul 19, 2013, 8:41PM - In reply to strine
You're right. Zimmerman had absolutely NO reason to question Trayvon Martin. He was walking home from the 711 store, minding his own business. Some people keep saying that Trayvon was a criminal. Trayvon wasn't much of a criminal. His crimes were petty crimes, all at school. Even though some marijuana was found in his system, that doesn't mean that he's a criminal or a bad kid. Nothing he did would justify his murder. It's known fact that Zimmerman has anger issues.

The only reason he is dead today is because he's black and Zimmerman ASSUMED that he was one of the black people doing the break-ins in the neighborhood. I truly believe that Trayvon was fighting for HIS life, not the other way around. Zimmerman does NOT deserve to have a gun. It's too easy to get a gun in the U.S.

Unfortunately, the wording of the law made it impossible for the prosecution to get justice for Trayvon and his family. It also sent a very bad message to people.

I've read and heard so many Americans say that they carry a gun for protection. If it's that bad living in the U.S. that you have to carry a gun for protection, then thank God I live in Canada.

Replied By: loyalalways on Jul 19, 2013, 5:09PM - In reply to dee0123
You're putting down someone who isn't here to defend himself. Zimmerman can make up any stories he wants because nobody was there to refute his stories. Where's your proof that it wasn't TRAYVON who was yelling for help and was defending himself? You say that he looked suspicious in the store and had guys waiting outside probably to sell drugs. Where is your proof of that? I saw the same video. He didn't look suspicious to me.

Why don't you also look at Zimmerman's history??? He assaulted a POLICE OFFICER. He KNEW the person was a police officer, too, and he told him, "I don't care if you're a police officer....". He also was arrested for domestic abuse of his previous fiance. You'd have to be pretty naive to believe that she laid charges against him because he assaulted her only once. There's proof right there that Zimmerman obviously has anger issues. He's not so innocent himself.  I'm willing to bet that there were more problems with this guy, too.The reason why his charges were dropped is because his daddy is a judge. If daddy hadn't had the charges changed, Zimmerman wouldn't have even had a gun that night and a child would still be alive. No, Trayvon wasn't always innocent. However, his crimes were petty crimes. So what if he had some marijuana in his system. He did NOT deserve to die.

How many people take a loaded, 9 mm gun without a safety latch on it to walk their dog??? I don't care if it's not illegal to follow someone. Zimmerman was told NOT to follow Trayvon, but he CHOSE to follow him anyway. Most guys would retaliate if someone was suspiciously following them.

It's pretty bad when you can't even walk in the neighborhood where you're living. Zimmerman decided that Trayvon was guilty of something with NO reason, except that he was black. Just because there were break-ins in the neighborhood by some blacks doesn't give you the right to accuse all blacks. His own words were, "These assholes always get away with it"!! Zimmerman was a lot heavier than Trayvon. Their height difference is neither here nor there because there wasn't a huge difference.

Just for the record, I'm caucasian. If the roles were reversed and it was Trayvon who followed and shot Zimmerman, I'd say that Trayvon would have been at fault. However, that's NOT what happened.

Replied By: rgse90 on Jul 19, 2013, 3:02PM
I hope that Dr Phil is going to do an honest assessment interview. The jury were correct in their verdict and unless you wacthed the entire trial and saw all the evidence Zimmerman was not guilty. The justice Department did an extensive investigation into his past and they themselves determined that Zimmerman was not and is not a racist. The Justice Department also will not bring charges against Zimmerman because he is not guilty of this. Also the girlfriend has admitted now on different shows that in fact Trayvon was giving the creapy ass cracka a beatdown after she said in the trial no now she admits it. many of the Trayvon family lied knwoign damn well it was not Trayvon on the tape but lied to attempt to get a verdict. This was a very bad misunderstanding and it had nothing o do with race. The non-profits for black causes are profiting so much right now that they are keeping this in the news,. the more it is in the news the more money they make. Please be fair because you could end of alienating your white audience.

Replied By: dschiar on Jul 12, 2013, 12:40PM - In reply to strine
Many people purchase a gun without a safety. Until this year I never and I repeat never carried a bullet in the chamber for safety reasons. I carried a gun in NY Legally and I live in Florida  for the past 15 years and guess what, this would never happen to me you know why?

Because I know what a gun can do and you can't take it back after you do it!

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion and I certainly respect yours. Do I believe Zimmerman had other options you bet he could have blined trayvon with his fingers among other things. I know before I pull a weapon I would have exhausted all other options.

BUT:  The law says I don't have to(theres your problem) In Cape Coral Florida a man had a mask on and was in his neighbors yard. I guess the neighbor heard noise and went out with is gun and killed the guy and guess what no charges filed.

Replied By: dschiar on Jul 12, 2013, 12:27PM - In reply to strine
There is no proof that Zimmerman Stalked any one here is the Florida Law:A person who willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly follows, harasses, or cyberstalks another person (and) makes a credible threat to that person commits the offense of aggravated stalking, a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

I don't see where this applies and is not  part of the charges because you may follow anyone, especially if you are on the line with the police and they are asking where he went.

Really confusing

Replied By: dschiar on Jul 12, 2013, 12:20PM
The problem is the Florida State Stand your ground Law. Which says you don't even have to be cut to use deadly force. For this reason there would have never been a Zimmerman trial, until the parents fought (through political ties) to get Zimmerman arrested.                                                                               The law says:3) A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony. 

I think the law is misleading. I believe unless someone has a gun or a knife or is breaking into you home or car in order to commit a felony and or bodily harm your gun should stay put. It should never be pulled out
unless there is equal force.

In this way you will stay out of the trouble Mr. Zimmerman is in. I believe Zimmerman is innocent by the law and if convicted, then the law needs to be changed so that people don't have to go through this.

Thats what the law says, what do you think?

Replied By: strine on Apr 14, 2013, 9:29PM - In reply to lestlecrunch
It is against the law to stalk someone (especially when told by a police officer not to). Mr Zimmerman is a wannabe police officer like other serial killers around.

Showing 1-10 of total 1050 Comments