Twitter Facebook YouTube

Current Events

The shooting death of unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin left many in the nation outraged and the suspect, George Zimmerman, labeled “The Most Hated Man in America” by some, and a racist by others. Where do you stand? Do you believe Zimmerman shot Trayvon in self-defense? Should he be convicted of second-degree murder? Weigh in with your thoughts!
Comments
Replied By: jesse93 on Dec 16, 2014, 12:04PM
I remember following the George Zimmerman trail and trying to be as open minded as possible. Not being there, I couldn't very well tell somebody who something horrific might have happened to that they are a lair. When all was said and done, and George Zimmerman was found not quilty, I was disheartened but understanding. I couldn't see the pattern this would bring. I myself live in Missouri and the events in Ferguson have changed me. I saw hate and anger and sadness tear apart the streets of a place I call home. I'm scared that people will ask me where I'm from and what they will think of me when I say Missouri. Take away all of the "reasoning" for Darren Wilson doing what he did and the situation is still appauling. People want to make it so much about that this is about race because Michael was black and Wilson was white but this is all about justice. The color of Michael skin does not excuse Wilson washing the blood off his hands before being examined. It doesn't excuse Wilson taking his gun home with him and not leaving it as evidence to be checked for prints. It doesn't excuse them leaving Michael's body dead in the street for four and a half hours. This is about JUSTICE. Michael deserves JUSTICE. The abomination that was this investigation is what people are disgusted by and to try and say people are only mad because this is about race is childish. Yes, white people have been shot and killed by police but why are we seperating the two? Are we trying to say that both cases shouldn't be treated the same? "Oh you're just upset because the person he shot was black, if the person was white no one would care!" But the thing is we would and just because you see the outrage at the injustice of a white on black crime doesn't mean we aren't hurt by white on white crime.

Replied By: equal4all on Dec 14, 2014, 3:56PM - In reply to doglover50
Excellent comments!!!

Replied By: equal4all on Dec 14, 2014, 3:54PM - In reply to doreen232
Doreen I'm so sorry for your loss.  People of all colors need to understand that following an officers instructions is by far the safest way to survive an incident.  Police have seconds to make decisions of life and death....while ambulance chasers have months and years to pick apart a 1 second decision made by an officer.  God bless your brother in law.

Dale

Replied By: equal4all on Dec 14, 2014, 3:51PM
The one thing I see in common with the shootings of young men by the police is that consistently they are not following the instructions of the police.  When will people learn that the easiest way to survive contact with the police is to follow their instructions.  Then you get to go home, not to the morque in a body bag.

Replied By: tracey8 on Dec 13, 2014, 10:52PM
Hi I live in Australia and I have witnessed first hand police violence. My brother was shot dead by police here 4 years ago and the justice system also let us down.

It doesn't matter what cops do they get away with it just because they are cops. 

We had cops on our side during the court case saying what they did that night was wrong and still we didn't get justice.

The way the legal system feel is they can't prosecute police because if they did society will turn on them therefore we will have no trust in them. That in itself will cause an uproar. 

Police should not be investigating police. There needs to be independent people investigating when someone loses there life.

We as family members have every right to be outraged when we have to sit there during a court case and listen to the lies that come out of cops mouths. They are human they do lie!!!! The badge means nothing to them in court it's all about protecting what they did wrong instead of owning it.

It is fact there is so much corruption in the police force so why SHOULD we respect them. Why because they have a badge and a gun!! That badge and gun gives them the power to treat people with disrespect.

When I hear of police shootings or violence around the world it angers me because I feel there pain every day.

Replied By: canwealgetalng on Dec 13, 2014, 11:31AM
Yes I think Zimmerman was guilty and I think he was looking for trouble.

Replied By: doreen232 on Dec 12, 2014, 3:07PM
After watching the Friday show, I couldn't help but make my comment.  Way back in 1977, my brother-in-law was a policeman in a small town near Buffalo, NY.  He and his partner made a traffic stop, conversation ensued and they followed the man to a drug store.  A fight broke out and the man (African/American) grabbed my brother-in-laws partners gun and shot my brother in law in the chest.  He was pronounced dead at the scene.  I know the shooter only spent 7 years in prison for killing a police officer.  My sister was left with a 3 year old daughter, left to raise her alone.  We all stepped up and helped, but, where was her justice.  racism is alive in all ways.  Races seem to hate each other for no apparent reason and some people take it to the extreme and others feel differently.  Were there any riots because an African American shot a Caucasian?  No, not at all.  Had it been the other way around, there would have been much more attention to the situation, but there wasn't.  It happened, we mourned, my sister had to handle her anger on her own and that was that.  When will everyone see that it isn't about color but respect.  If everyone would respect each other, the problems in society would be much less intense.  Nothing can bring back those we love, but we can certainly do better for future generations.  Why not start now???

Replied By: lyman1961 on Oct 12, 2014, 7:26AM
This isn't about the Martin case..He was found not guilty so let it be..Some people need a reason go out and do the same thing to others that there crying about ..Lately it's been about the White Cop in Missouri who shot and killed a young man..Is it awful yes ..But not to wait for the truth before you make judgement is a worse crime..To say this young man was such a good kid when we know different now..To riot and loot shows what most people stereo type you as ..Now when the verdict for OJ Simson came out as Not Guilty..even though I know he did..the first thing I didn't do was go out and riot and to loot the same stores I shop at..That's pure stupidity..He was fonus not guilty by a jury of his peers and I accept that..now which brings me to all the Hate Crimes and I do mean hate crimes being perpetrated against innocent white men and women who had nothing to do with any of the cases on TV..A toung 17 year Honor Roll Student on his first week at a job at Kroger when he was attacked by a gang of Black youths ..Punching and kicking him while others stood around video taping him even the security guard was taping ..while he laid on the ground and these people using there ethnic slurs..I've seen 20 videos with these same hate crimes against my people.Yet it never made the news.No Sharpton .No Jackson shame..

Replied By: doglover50 on Apr 29, 2014, 10:45AM - In reply to tika1966
We do have a very strong system of laws here in the US Monique. I understand that you don't understand our 2nd Amendment rights in the USA. Our constitution, Bill of Rights etc. are based on the idea that each of us has the right to defend ourselves and the duty to defend our country if it should ever come to that. I DISAGREE HEARTILY with the verdict in this case. And Zimmerman has proven himself a true disgrace to all of us since that trial. But we cannot throw the baby out with the bathwater. We do not allow our government to change the constitution or Bill of Rights just because there are people who abuse the law. We are a people governed by the people and for the people. When we see the school shootings: we need to address the stigma of mental illness in our young people. Anyway, I could go on forever about this issue. But please Monique, perhaps it would be helpful for you to read up on US history and why it is that it is NOT only the army who has weapons here. I hope you do and maybe will begin to understand our system of laws a bit better.

Replied By: bishious on Apr 16, 2014, 3:18PM - In reply to tika1966
Well said, Monique. I couldn't agree with you more!

Showing 1-10 of total 561 Comments