Twitter Facebook YouTube

Current Events

The shooting death of unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin left many in the nation outraged and the suspect, George Zimmerman, labeled “The Most Hated Man in America” by some, and a racist by others. Where do you stand? Do you believe Zimmerman shot Trayvon in self-defense? Should he be convicted of second-degree murder? Weigh in with your thoughts!
Comments
Replied By: lyman1961 on Oct 12, 2014, 7:26AM
This isn't about the Martin case..He was found not guilty so let it be..Some people need a reason go out and do the same thing to others that there crying about ..Lately it's been about the White Cop in Missouri who shot and killed a young man..Is it awful yes ..But not to wait for the truth before you make judgement is a worse crime..To say this young man was such a good kid when we know different now..To riot and loot shows what most people stereo type you as ..Now when the verdict for OJ Simson came out as Not Guilty..even though I know he did..the first thing I didn't do was go out and riot and to loot the same stores I shop at..That's pure stupidity..He was fonus not guilty by a jury of his peers and I accept that..now which brings me to all the Hate Crimes and I do mean hate crimes being perpetrated against innocent white men and women who had nothing to do with any of the cases on TV..A toung 17 year Honor Roll Student on his first week at a job at Kroger when he was attacked by a gang of Black youths ..Punching and kicking him while others stood around video taping him even the security guard was taping ..while he laid on the ground and these people using there ethnic slurs..I've seen 20 videos with these same hate crimes against my people.Yet it never made the news.No Sharpton .No Jackson shame..

Replied By: doglover50 on Apr 29, 2014, 10:45AM - In reply to tika1966
We do have a very strong system of laws here in the US Monique. I understand that you don't understand our 2nd Amendment rights in the USA. Our constitution, Bill of Rights etc. are based on the idea that each of us has the right to defend ourselves and the duty to defend our country if it should ever come to that. I DISAGREE HEARTILY with the verdict in this case. And Zimmerman has proven himself a true disgrace to all of us since that trial. But we cannot throw the baby out with the bathwater. We do not allow our government to change the constitution or Bill of Rights just because there are people who abuse the law. We are a people governed by the people and for the people. When we see the school shootings: we need to address the stigma of mental illness in our young people. Anyway, I could go on forever about this issue. But please Monique, perhaps it would be helpful for you to read up on US history and why it is that it is NOT only the army who has weapons here. I hope you do and maybe will begin to understand our system of laws a bit better.

Replied By: bishious on Apr 16, 2014, 3:18PM - In reply to tika1966
Well said, Monique. I couldn't agree with you more!

Replied By: debytalk on Mar 8, 2014, 4:30PM
It was apparent to me in this case that the prosecution intentionally  threw this case away. I don't believe the were this incompetent. Maddy had a choice to hang the jury, she just wasn't strong enough to resist the pressure from the other jurors.

Replied By: debytalk on Mar 8, 2014, 4:18PM
it is difficult for me to have much sympathy for Maddy. I understand she was in a difficult position, but if she was in doubt she had a duty to hang the jury. Instead she let a guilty man go free to fit in. It is the responsibility of the jury to interpret the law. Stranger things have happened that jurys made unexpected decisions based on their interpretation of the law Instruction. There was no absolute proof of anything in this case other than there was an altercation and one person was stalking the other. Maddy had another choice. She just wasn't strong enough to make it.

Replied By: charperva on Mar 5, 2014, 11:41AM
Maybe I missed it at the end of the show as she had already exited the stage after the last commercial. I could not help but feel very concerned about this brave woman who shared her story - so sad about the loss of her job and housing once she completed the jury duty.  Is there any way Dr. Phil could have offered to get her some assistance?

Replied By: tika1966 on Mar 2, 2014, 12:07PM
Dear dr.Phil.

Hello,I'm Monique and I'm living in the Netherlands.

I look at your shows on you-tube and saw a show about the children who shoot at people at the movies and scools. It happens a lot in the USA. What I don't understand is that nobody says..its enough..we don't allow people to have guns. Here in the Netherlands we can't have guns,it's againts the law. And ofcourse there are shootings but not as much as in the USA. I don't understand why people can have guns in there home so that the childeren can shoot there friends,brothers,sisters and other people. I JUST CAN'T understand!!!!  Why does everybody has guns in there house? Why ???? The only thing I can think about is that they have it to shoot people!! So in my opinion you ask for it to shoot eachother and don't think that that is horrible. I just don't understand why not only the army has guns just like in our country.

Best regards,

Monique Marantika

Replied By: bstout11 on Feb 14, 2014, 11:26AM
I get so angry over seeing all this talk about this case. i was even more upset that our Leader put his personal views attached to this case.  I became even more outraged after a Federal Task force shot 94 bullets into a vhecile where my daughter was a passenger 75 of them hitting the windshild one into her head. The kids had NO WEAPON on or in the vehicle. He had a NON VIOLENT warrant because someone said he robbed a officers house. my daughter had no warrant, wasnt wanted, no record and was murdered in cold blood and you dont here nothing from our leader on this. maybe becuase she is just a 20 year old mother college degree was headed back to school to become an EMT, never hurt anyone in her life she was trying to get her boyfriend the babys dad to turn his life around so they could have a good honest life. her love for him took her away from us and took them both away from this baby that turned 2 a week later. i gave up a federal job after 13 years to stay home with my grandchild she has lost so much, and to top it all of some bias MCGJ found 75 bullets into two unarmed kids justified.  so mr. president where are you on this issue, i dont see you outraged that your federal officers did this 8 agencies, 7 men form 6 agencies killed my child! and to this day not one person wants to let us see the findings if they were so justified what are they still hiding.  plain and simple the badge gives some officers the right to commit murder and get away with it. there was no reason for this they all watched the kids get into the vehicle. they had time to arrest him and they both could have still be alive. i feel that this was premeditated murder and our system is so brokend that OKCPD investigated the iccident and one of thier own was one of the shooters, tell me how that isnt bias and the MCGJ choose not to hear from anyone expect the officers and dectives not one person was called on the victums behalf.  travon was shot once in the back, he didnt have to try to dodge 94 bullets when sitting in a fish bowl with no where to go. they never even told them to get out of the truck, did a tac manuver the truck was stopped and opened fired.  IF a case needed national attention it is my daughters we are talking about officers that took an oath and choose to disreguard that oath. they didnt protect and serve my daughter they choose to murder her so there would be no witness to thier crime and got away with it.

Replied By: cupid2011 on Nov 22, 2013, 6:29PM - In reply to lyssasue76
Zimmerman was in such an  angry state and ready to kill any kid regardless of race.

Unfortunatly, it probably ended up being about race.  The medical examiner has claimed that Zimmerman shot Trayvon in the back, but he lied in court under duress. He is currently suing the county after being fired.   He claims that the court system including his own attorneys trashed the case because Trayvon deserves to be dead.  In the end it might have been made into a race thing by the prosicution and the defense attorneys.   I don't know if the medical examiner's case will go to trial or if it will be settled out of court.  I read on the internet that the medical examiner's attorney is known for always winning his cases.  I haven't done any google searches lately and don't know the status of the medical examiners legal case. 

Enjoy reading your post.

P.S.  The medical examiner's name is Shiping Bao.  Google for any updates on his case against the county and for claims that Zimmerman shot Trayvon in the back.

Replied By: lyssasue76 on Nov 21, 2013, 5:42AM
I am sure my opinion won't be accepted or could make a lot of people mad.  I fully believe that Zimmerman should have been found guilty of 2nd degree murder.  When he called 911, the dispatcher told him to STAY IN HIS CAR AND NOT TO FOLLOW.  He CHOSE to get out of his car and confront Trevon.  Did Trevon probably fight him before being shot.  The pictures shows yes and I don't blame Trevon.  If you follow and confont me, I would be ready for a fight too.  However, I believe people have blown this into a racial issue that doesn't need to be added to every situation we see on tv.  It is an easy thing to sling at someone.  I don't care what your hertiage is, ANYONE CAN BE RACIST.  Yes, I said it.  It is not a black/white thing.  I believe Zimmerman was a wanna be cop and chose to confront a young man.  When Trevon fought back, he killed him and claimed self defense.  Could he have confronted Trevon simply for being black, yes.  Maybe, just maybe, he would have done the same to any kid walking at that hour.  I feel for Trevon's family and pray for them.  They didn't get justice.  In my opinion, when he chose to get out of his car he should not have been allowed to claim self-defense.  He chased that boy down.  That is common sense to me but alas, I did not sit on the jury.  I have read the posts on here and how quickly one case can change someone's opinion.  I have watched Dr.Phil since he started his show and will continue watching his show.  Most of the time I agree with him but even if I don't, he is allowed to have his own opinion.  It is what makes us human.  I watched the episode with Trevon's parents and I didn't see Dr. Phil doing anything "wrong".  Just because he is on TV doesn't mean he has to please the world.

Showing 1-10 of total 554 Comments