Twitter Facebook YouTube

Mental Health

From obsessive behaviors, to bipolar disorder and post-traumatic stress, mental health conditions can be debilitating. Are you suffering? Share your story and advice for others.

If you believe you need immediate assistance, please call your local emergency number or the mental health crisis hotline listed in your local phone book's government pages.

Click here for  mental health resources.

Click here to find a mental health professional.
Comments
Replied By: roxchic on Mar 25, 2014, 1:01AM - In reply to muckakim45
Hello I am a 29 year old mother of three although I do not have the outside complications that your daughter does I do have Anxiety/panic attacks myself. One good thing about panic attacks is they are self limiting ....one bad thing at least in my case is they can finish and then another starts right back up. Maybe she could find something to distract her? like reading a book at night? Have they check her physical anatomy for this first? such as the thyroid or things like that? this can sometimes be biological. If it gets bad enough you may be able to have her put into a healthcare setting at least temporarily to get her help faster? If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me. Also anxietyzone.com is an A-mazing tool that has message boards and a chat room all for anxiety/panic.

Replied By: joansinging on Mar 3, 2014, 1:40AM
We need to study the crminal mind and the criminally insane .  We need money put into humanity not more prisons or jails.  We need genetic, bio-chemical and neurological research.

This in return will find solutions to domestic violence and all violence that occures in the world today.  We need to start a foundation . 

Replied By: rachelisawesom on Feb 28, 2014, 10:57AM
Hello message boards!! I'm in need of others opinions on self help (or motivational, God based, mental health) books on alcohol addiction or addiction in general. My mom has a problem with mainly alcohol and she's currently in prison. I was wanting to send her some books to try help her out. So she can try and get in a sober mindframe. My problem is there are SOOO many books out there its overwhelming. So does anyone have any suggestions on some good ones? Or ones that have helped you? Thanx so much everyone!

Replied By: muckakim45 on Feb 19, 2014, 6:34AM
my 18 year old daughter has severe depression and panic disorder she goes to bed in a panic and stays awake all night till morning sleeps for a few hours then it starts over again in last few weeks it has become a nightmare . she weighs 52 kilos believes she is fat will only eat once a day. thinks she is going to die all the time scratches at her skin had scabs on her head and they got infected. from her scratching and picking. she believes she is going to die because of epilepsy attack she has not had seiure in 6 years and is no longer on medication. her pulse rate is high she believes she can not breathe. she has meltdowns in crowds. and am fearful for her. they have placed her on  antidreppressant today. and giving phenergan to help her sleep. these panic attacks are taking a toll on all of us. my health is not the best i have lupus and stress makes it worse my husband has heart problems and suffered stroke 4 years ago. we are finding it hard to cope my daughter also has aspergers and mild intellectual impairment. i am just feeling helpless in knowing what to do she is seeing phycologist but no calming techniques seem to be working.she going through hell and i just have to sit back and watch i feel so useless.i just do not know what else to do to help her. thankyou for listening to me.

Replied By: kymmlisa on Jan 21, 2014, 10:22AM
After a life changing waterskiing accident, which broke my neck and back over 30 years ago, I knew my life would never be the same and all my former dreams were no longer dreams, but impossiblities!  Since that day until this year I've had over 13 spinal surgeries, and now suffer from Degenerative Disc Disease, Spinal Stenosis, Scoliosis and Severe Chronic Pain.  After recovering the best I could is when the depression and anxiety set in bad!  I wanted to die, in fact I tried over 4 times in the first several years of my recovery.  My life would never be the same and I had a 9 month old little girl at the time.  My husband at the time, dropped me and my little one of at my mom's house and said, "I can't handle this", you take care of them.  I stayed there for several months, while my mom helped with the baby.  I became so depressed I started becoming angrier and angrier at God, how dare he allow this to happen to me!  I'm now 53 and just starting my new Spritual journeyto not being so angry anymore.  I still take medication daily for depression, and anxiety, it's still really bad and I'm still having surgeries, I had two last year.  I worry when my life seems good, because I just wait for the hammer to drop and bamm I'm back either in surgery or some other problem is over bearing to me!   I have a Bi-Polar sister and a sister with Social Anxiety disorder, so they understand my pain, but it's gotten to the point where I fear leaving my home.  I only do what I absolutely have to, and often make excuses why I can't attend an event.  I have no friends, they require time and attention, which  I just don't have the strenghth for now.  I left the one person who understood my pain, my husband due to him having what I would call a mid-life crisis, but now I've forgiven him and want him back, but he's happy living alone as he does.  No one understands living in pain, since no one can feel my pain.  I would never wish this on my worst enemy, but if for one day someone who doesn't believe the extent of my pain, could live with it, they would never question me again.  Anyway, I'm looking for a new psychiatrist, I've moved recently and it's not easy.  I don't think my meds are working anymore, I've been on them for years and they just don't make me feel the same way!  I wish I could snap my fingers and "just get over it".

Replied By: nattitude on Dec 19, 2013, 10:50AM
Soooo a lady at my office showed me the Dr. Phil episode with the 21year old who has a picking problem. She showed me because I have a picking problem and lately it has been out of control. Its crazy how much I enjoy it, I am not embarassed about it I kinda show people some things I pick I hide but others I don't hide. My problem is, I DONT KNOW WHAT MY PROBLEM IS!! I have been doing this since I was a kid, I come from a great family I have been involved in sports all my life, I did ok in school. I wasn't really bullied growing up I mean I had people who we weren't friends but most of the time I was a pretty strong person and I would spend my time defending my friends if they had issues. I would have the random person call me fat and I would laugh at them cause i knew I wasn't fat and they were. Nothing seem to ever really bother me. I just don't get what has happened that I have this horrible habit that I have a love hate relationship with!! I feel scabs and they are lumpy so in my mind they have to go, it feels good to pull them off and then it hurts afterwards. When scabs are finally heal I get sad that they are no longer there for me to pick!! I once sat on my bathroom counter picking underneath my nose till I felt it was all clean and smooth, it makes my eyes tear. Then when it was cleaned I put polysporin on and a bandaid and went to bed. People tell me to stop and I get irritated that they don't get why I can't stop......I guess cause I don't even get why I can't stop. Even as I am typing I have to pause to get a pick. I want to stop it cause as I get older the scars are more perminent now (although I convince myself that the sun gives me a tan and the scars dissapear) but I don't want to stop because I enjoy it. I also remember as a kid I had a fascination with ripping my toe nails off......something about having tiny toe nails makes that sooo easy and I enjoyed it but again it would hurt really bad after it was done.

Any thoughts on this???

Replied By: coultek on Nov 12, 2013, 11:10AM
http://voices.yahoo.com/living-chronic-depression-story-12376573.html?cat=70

Replied By: edmicequeen on Nov 6, 2013, 12:31PM
it scares me how well i can relate to michelles story .....to being choked and abused sexually and mentally i went the same thing but in my own house from my own brother who seemed to have the same domented mind as ariel castro ....i dont know how she will ever get over this i know i have lived this nightmare in my head for over thirty years and it gets worse instead of better you remembe things you thought you forgot everyday ....my heart goes out to michelle as i know how she is feeling in her head ....i have never been able to get helpp for whats in my head as my mother put a gag order on me and being i was abused by her aswell i have always been afraid to tell my story .........god bless those girls as i know for a fact the hell never goes away the scars never heal

Replied By: kirght on Nov 6, 2013, 10:24AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZVe8E_q6eY

Replied By: kimberlyr1989 on Nov 6, 2013, 10:19AM
Hey guys! I have read all of your stories , and I can certainly relate! I was a very young child,, approximately 5 years old.. my depression started. Sexual abuse had occured, and I didn't really understand! And no one ever believed me. I am 23.. almost 24.. and no one still believes me. However, at that point in my life, everything started to change. I felt different, I cried a lot. And I used to cut my barbies hair, and draw on them, I used to put x marks on her private areas, and draw dirt on them. But again, no one listened to me. As I went through primary school, I started to get bullied in grade 1, I was called ugly, dumb , stupid blonde, and older kids used to take my lunch and my recess money. I always done as they wanted me to. I never wanted to get hurt. So I just went along with whatever they wanted. Grade 2, I began cutting my arms with razor blades. People noticed, I just said my cat done it. When I realized that people noticed, I started cutting my upper legs , groin, and belly. It felt great.. As I got older the cutting continued. I just had prayed to God every night that he would take me! I wasn't loved. And I knew I didn't belong here. In grade 4 I went to Juinor High, which meant new school, and even more new students! The bullying was brutal when I went there. I started to sing a lot more in public, I had been singing since I was 5. But I never really sang in public, I had my first solo in grade 2, and my second in grade 5. I started competing in festivals, and I used to score high, and get 1st,2nd or 3rd place. All the time. I was so excited. BEcause if i wasn't good.. I wouldn't get the feedback I got. And that's when the girls got really nasty! I felt so self concious I stopped singing because they said I was too fat to sing, I can't sing, and I was verry thin. My eating issues begain in Juinor High. I'd hide my vomit in bags under my bed! and then when it was gaarbage day I would sneek them out into the garbage bucket in a bag so no one could see what was in it. My eating got worse. But no one ever noticed. Eventually I started trying o commit suicide. I hated my life. people were cutting my arms open with pocket knives and shoving me in lockers. I wrote the Dr.Phil show, and wrote to Robyn. Told her I was going to kill myself that night. And thanked her for everything! I was and still am a big fan of robyns as well as Dr.Phil! I sent it, and went upstairs to get some things and then I was going to leave.. within 5 minutes, I was getting ready to go, when the police were thre at my door. i opened and went to go out not thinking they were there for me.. but they were. And they made me go inside. and they said they recieved a call from Dr.Phil. Said how concerned Robyn and Dr.phil were. And they wanted to ensure that I was safe. sure enough.. I didn't get tht chance. Thankfully I am still here! As the years went on, I went to high school.. another new school. and more new students! I got into drugs, fighting, eating disorder got worse, depression got worse. I got suspended for drinking on school property, and the love of my life had broken it off with me. Because I had turned into this monster! I was still cutting, I had never stopped.. but techers started noticing it.. and I didn't care. I would do it in clas if someone said something to me.. I was out of my mind. I knew that in order to get my boyfriend back.. I had to straighten up.. it was hard. So I started hiding my smoking.. he drank too so that was Ok. I did stop the drugs.. alltho it was hard. and I did drop my friends. But I continued to cut, and burn myself. but I had to hide that. We went on to graduate.. and we moved out and went to college. he ended up having to go away for two months.. in 2011.. I had stopped eating.. i passed out at college. when I woke I was with the nurse.. I told her I wanted to die.. and I was going to do it. she contacted the hospital. so we went downstairs.. she called a cab.. and as she was calling one.. i took off and hopped in someone else's cab and went to a place where I was going to jump off the clif. i didn't have enough time to get my suicide kit which had my rope in it.  I was found.. and caught just before I had jumped..I was admitted to hospital. my blood sugar was at 3.1 then continued to go down due to not eating! I spent a few weeks in the psych ward. and I changed. I've been through a lot! ANd I'm still here!And happy to say, I just had a little girl May 21st, 2013. I have never loved my life so much in my life! ANd I owe it all to Dr.Phil and Robyn! But guys, there Is a light at the end of the tunnel! If you ever need someone to talk to.. i am here! I want to help! Don't give up! And DONT let anyone bully you! xox

Showing 1-10 of total 110 Comments