Twitter Facebook YouTube

Mental Health

From obsessive behaviors, to bipolar disorder and post-traumatic stress, mental health conditions can be debilitating. Are you suffering? Share your story and advice for others.

If you believe you need immediate assistance, please call your local emergency number or the mental health crisis hotline listed in your local phone book's government pages.

Click here for  mental health resources.

Click here to find a mental health professional.
Replied By: grannieforzack on Nov 11, 2015, 6:19PM - In reply to marypaulinem
You do, understand, there are WIGS?  Right?    No need for baseball cap or scraves.  Just buy a wig. Something does not sound "RIGHT", ABOUT your post.  Do you want the attention your hair lose gives you? 

Have you looked into hair, regrowth products or thyroid or hormnoe isssue's?

I had chemo one time, and lost all of my hair,,I wore a wig. 
Replied By: grannieforzack on Nov 11, 2015, 6:10PM - In reply to boggledee
My post should have been to you. I made a mistake.

Hi, I just read your story.  There is so much nasty in this world.  You are  O.K.  I know it is hard to hang on too.  I will be 71 in a few weeks, and nothing has changed with my family.  They abandoned me too.

My brother who is a doctor is jealous of me, says my 91 year old dad, so now, I am out of the will, and receive nothing.  They both act like buddy's,,and since I am the woman,,I am not worthy of caring about.

My mom was jealous of me my whole life. Did not know that, till later.  My daughter is jealous of me now, and won't let me see my only grandchild,,after complaining to cousin's and my dad, I won't see him.  I relented, and started seeing him. The reason I did not want to get attached, was that I knew, at some point, she would , say, I CANNOT SEE him for some 'reason' of hers.  I did not know, it was going to be jealousy. 

The reason, I am responding to you and writing part of my story,,is to tell you.. I BELIEVE YOU AND UNDERSTAND.   It is very difficult to keep going, with so much hostility to you, and in the world. 

You sound very stable, and are hurting.  I suspect, you have, had narcisstics parents.  It seems to be a disease in our society.  I do have a book that a therapist told me to get, and it explains it all. Let me know if you want to know about this book. 

If nothing, else, it will give you some comfort to know,,you are NOT THE PROBLEM,,it is them. It Teaches you how to handle them, if you are still talking to them.   Take care. (Sorry , there is no spell check for me on this. )
Replied By: grannieforzack on Nov 11, 2015, 6:04PM - In reply to kbright111
Wow if you are still around, you need to call suicide prevention.  You did post,,so there is something in you,,that really wants human contact.  Take care.

What stopped you from dealing with people? 
Replied By: floydfan on Nov 9, 2015, 4:12PM
Ive been through so much in my life. Parents divorce, sexual abuse, emotional abuse from menally ill mom and cruel grandparents, foster homes, moms death at 17, etc.

I developed borderline personality disorder because of my childhood. The first PTSD episode came after I watched mom die. Soon after she died I had my first baby. So I was grieving and had post partum all at once. My husband was way older than me. When we met I was 17 he was 33. After our daughter was born he drifted off, never paid bills, etc and decided to cheat on me. Before he left he raped me, and I ended up pregnant w our second daughter.

I couldnt deal w looking at her and the constant reminder of rape, so I lied to a social worker that I hit her so theyd take her away. They did. I had visitations w her till she was two. I havent seen her since then. Shes 18 now. I lost my first daughter when she was six because I became violent as the result of side effects of a stimulant med I was put on for adhd. She remained a part of my life because my awesome dad took her in and raised her. Shes 20 now and is an incredible, smart and beautiful young adult. 

Back in 2003 I got into a relationship w a man I met in an internet chat room. He became abusive after about six months together. It became so that I couldnt leave the house without permission. I had to walk behind him when out in public. I couldnt have any money unless he said so. He tried sabotaging my efforts to lose weight because he liked me fat, because fat is unattractive to other people. He didnt want me to have friends, hated and tried brainwashing me against my family. I can count on one hand how many times he hit me, but those were so bad, and the emotional abuse was so bad that I was afraid to do anything to piss him off. Our house got foreclosed on, so I took that opportunity to leave the relationship. I was homeless for six months, and stayed at a womens homeless shelter. I regained all the weight I lost because all they feed are carbs, and I had no income to continue at the gym. I was in the process at that time of applying for disability due to my mental health, so I had no income to speak of. I found a hole in the wall to rent, and had to use my towns general assistance to pay rent and bills till my disability finally got approved. I finally had an income and waited two years on a waiting list for low income housing. Now I have an affordable place to live, an income and a new fiancee.

Current problem is that I spent almost ten years being abused, that I have issues trusting men. I get so paranoid that I called the cops on my fiancee and had him kicked out. Now that im over that PTSD episode, im having a hard time getting my housing to let him come back and live w me. They claim VOWA laws. I feel stuck in a rut. I need help to get over all the things Ive been thru. Im lucky he stayed w me. Any other man woulda said see ya after having gone thru all the shit ive put him thru. Love him lots.

Replied By: marycnus2 on Nov 7, 2015, 9:02PM - In reply to boggledee
I was a single mom of two girls and I had problems with my own mental health problems and at times I felt so overwelmed that I wanted to give up.  I'm 16 or more years down the road now and I understand if I had given into my depression my precious girls would be spending their adult life dealing with why they weren't important enough for their mother to stay around.  It would become about them and I would have distroyed their lives.  You're the most important person in their life.  Get some help and talk to a counselor.  My sweet counselor saved my life and in saving me he saved my babies also.  Take care of yourself for them if that is the only way for now but eventually take care of you for you.  You are worth it.
Replied By: sweetrose1974 on Sep 30, 2015, 6:17PM - In reply to sweetrose1974
I also have general anxiety disorder.  I have made many mistakes in my life, some pretty big ones - like infedility via internet, but I have been trying to take the bits n pieces of advice I can from my hospitalizations and appointments and trying to sort them out to make them make sense in my head for 29 yrs and for the first 10yrs I was just floating aline and now I am just stuck and no longer know where to go from here. Nobody has ever shown me how to deal with my borderline personality disorder but I have done some reading and tried to work on it - but that is very hard to do without someone to help you. I don't know how to deal with the feelings of hurt I get each time I reach out to my dad just to be shut down. I realize I am now a 41yr old woman n not that 12yr old child I was when he first shut me out but the hurt is just as fresh each time... I don't know how to deal with the memory of giving my child away or losing my mom n not having it make me want to commit suicide if I am already upset, and non't know how to deal with certain trigger words: quitter, wh*re, loser, b*tch, bad thunderstorms still affect me badly bc of a certain memory - there's so much I don't understand how to deal with - I know relaxation techniques n coping strategies n distraction techniques n have been on different medications - but how do I deal with all this other stuff?
Replied By: sweetrose1974 on Sep 30, 2015, 5:57PM
What do you do when things that happened 29yrs ago still haunt you today - n yet counselors tell you that you don't have PTSD? What do you say when your dad stops giving you love after your mom dies no matter how much you reach out to him - leaving you feeling guilt for her death n deserving og the shunning? How do you handle the guilt of having a child out of the need for love when you were young only to be trapped into the decision of giving him up when you were 7mo along? How do you deal with a family that doesn't want to talk to you yet won't tell you why? What do you do when your partners abuse you and your counselors tell you that you are the reason why? What do you do when you bounce from councelor to counselor and in the end you feel worse than in the start?

I'm not saying I'm perfect. In fact, I'm far from it. I have had depression most of my life, I have borderline personality disorder - and many reasons to feel I have PTSD, 
Replied By: kbright111 on Sep 10, 2015, 10:00AM
I'm breaking down up and sideways. I can't understand how most people tie their shoes. I'm not a know it all but this world is filled with ignorant individuals and I can't deal with stupid.  I'm

Iso frustrated I just don't do people anymore
Replied By: boggledee on Sep 9, 2015, 7:11PM
Hello all,

I am 44 years old and a mother of three. I have been abandoned by both parents. My life has been hard, sometimes to the point where I can't take it and want OUT. I contemplate suicide a lot, thinking everyone would be better off and would be able to replace me with a better woman. Someone who's strong and stable. Only if I wasn here.

I try to hold on to good thoughts and times, but the rough times cloud them all out. I feel lost, how can I lead the way for my children? 
Replied By: marypaulinem on Jun 26, 2015, 1:48AM
Hello, I am in my late 40's.  All my life, I have dealt with having extremely thin, fine hair.  For years, I would strategically hair spray, perm or roller set to minimize the bare areas, but no longer do for different reasons.  Since this is not a sudden condition for me, I can't say that I'm traumatized but for some reason, over only the past years, I have noticed that I am getting upset by others reactions when they notice in public and workplace.  This has never been the case before.  Where I have never even entertained of covering with even a baseball cap, I am now getting ready to order at least two headscarves to try while in public on my days off.  

As if I haven't already given myself enough new stress with this, just the past couple of days, I find that I am now getting upset over a possible scenario that if I decide that I want to wear the headscarves to work, that my employer may not permit it, thus creating a whole new set of problems.  I've held the same job for 25 plus years, so my lack of hair is not new in my career.

Would love to hear from all with any advice.  Always accepting friend requests too!  Thanks!

Showing 1-10 of total 181 Comments