Mental Health

From obsessive behaviors, to bipolar disorder and post-traumatic stress, mental health conditions can be debilitating. Are you suffering? Share your story and advice for others.

If you believe you need immediate assistance, please call your local emergency number or the mental health crisis hotline listed in your local phone book's government pages.

Click here for  mental health resources.

Click here to find a mental health professional.
Comments
Replied By: profgmorris on May 26, 2016, 9:28PM
Workplace bullying may increase risk of suicidal
thoughts - Reuters: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-bullying-suicidal-thoughts-idUSKCN0RI1WI20150918

Replied By: mjkelbell on May 25, 2016, 2:49PM - In reply to niko52
Check into what kind of resources your state supplies for teen mental health.  You should be able to at least talk to a case worker who can help you find an affordable program.  It is my understanding that under the Obamacare insurance changes,  if you have medical insurance it should cover mental health at same rate as any other illness -- 70-80%,  See if your doctor can get residential camp treatment covered, just like mh hospital coverage.  The camps are cheaper for insurance than having to pay for your teen in a mental hospital.  Good luck, thanks for sticking with a tough situation for any parent.  (many camp programs also accept medicaid)

Replied By: mjkelbell on May 24, 2016, 8:18PM - In reply to bellenuit
I;m bipolar also.  Get back in touch with your doctors, you need some help with the mania.  If you are only on antidepressants it can make mania worse.  Oh how I hate how exhausted you get after so many days without sleep.  And not being able to shut your racing mind off.  There are several drugs that help with mania,  I use tegretol and seroquel, but your doctor may want to try something else for you.  If you get help now the doc can help you outpatient, otherwise if the mania gets too bad (psychosis) or lasts too long you may have to go back to hospital.  Not that there's anything wrong with needing to go to hospital.  Its  just like most people you would probably rather avoid it.  There are several websites to help people with bipolar disorder -- look them up for more online help.

Replied By: rmcgovernatt on May 20, 2016, 11:14AM - In reply to niko52
My mother is looking for her parents in India almost thirty years. My name is Tatiana and I am going to share a story about a woman named Renuka. She is my mother who brought me into this world. I am honored to share a story about a very powerful and brave woman who is willingly going to describe the horrific experiences that she has not only experienced but endured. I write this because she has a powerful story that shows the human strength in overcoming tragedy, and it exposes a very real part of our globalized world that is very rarely talked about child slave trafficking. Many of us are oblivious to the fact that people have experienced this sort of misfortune. I can also imagine that this is a hard story to tell because it makes my mother relive those moments I am writing you regarding the mental health problems that are disabling for my mother.. She was severely abused as a child slave. She lived in fear for her safety and her life in that world. She escaped and eventually came to the United States as a child slave woman who took over her life.

She has a severe form of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. She has made progress in therapy, but the severity of her trauma created symptoms that are very disabling. She feels unsafe in the world, as if any moment she could be kidnaped and abused again.  She is also fearful something that I  could be kidnaped. She is very uncomfortable and fearful around people. It is very difficult for her to sleep, because she is constantly on guard.  In spite of her fears, she can go to some places like therapy. However, it is difficult for her, and many days she does not leave her house because of these fears.

My mother has made progress in therapy, but she is not able to work, and may never be able to work because of the horrible abuses that were done to her. I will continue to help  my mother, but it is very difficult for me as a 16 years old . I am in high school kids are talking about going away to college. I will work with my mother and help her recover as much as I  can from these horrible abuses.

Replied By: rmcgovernatt on May 20, 2016, 11:00AM - In reply to nowhereman67
I am writing you regarding the mental health problems that are disabling for my mother She was severely abused as a child slave. She lived in fear for her safety and her life in that world. She escaped and eventually came to the United States with a woman  who took over  her life. She has a severe form of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. She has made progress in therapy, but the severity of her trauma created symptoms that are very disabling. She feels unsafe in the world, as if any moment she could be kidnaped and abused again.  She is also fearful something that her daughter could be kidnaped. She is very uncomfortable and fearful around people. It is very difficult for her to sleep, because she is constantly on guard.  In spite of her fears, she can go to some places like therapy, However, it is difficult for her, and many days she does not leave her house because of these fears. has made progress in therapy, because of the horrible abuses that were done to her. I will continue to work with my mother  and help her recover as much as I can from these horrible abuses.

Replied By: rmcgovernatt on May 20, 2016, 10:57AM - In reply to nowhereman67
I am writing you regarding the mental health problems that are disabling for my mother She was severely abused as a child slave. She lived in fear for her safety and her life in that world. She escaped and eventually came to the United States with a woman  who took over her life. She has a severe form of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. She has made progress in therapy, but the severity of her trauma created symptoms that are very disabling. She feels unsafe in the world, as if any moment she could be kidnaped and abused again.  She is also fearful something that her daughter could be kidnaped. She is very uncomfortable and fearful around people. It is very difficult for her to sleep, because she is constantly on guard.  In spite of her fears, she can go to some places like therapy, However, it is difficult for her, and many days she does not leave her house because of these fears. has made progress in therapy, because of the horrible abuses that were done to her. I will continue to work with my mother and help her recover as much as I can from these horrible abuses.

Replied By: nowhereman67 on May 14, 2016, 1:33AM
no more meds thats what they need. more normal life

Replied By: reblom99 on May 12, 2016, 5:57PM
I suffer from both Anxiety and Depression. It hurts and can be pretty scary at times. I can tell some pretty scary stories about what happens to me when I have a Depressive episode or an Anxiety episode. But I handle it by drawing and writing. Or I deal with it by walking and exercising. I have even worked through it by listening to relaxing music and I have a good report with a psychiatrist. Unfortunately, I still suffer from nightmares and night terrors from time to time. There was a time when these chronic things were almost non-existant, but are now coming back. Because when I wake up from the nightmares, I wake up either really depressed or really angry for no apparent reason. And I have noticed that I scream or yell in anger in my sleep, often waking myself up. And I am getting very little sleep. What can I do to alleviate this until my next visit with with my doctor, my psychiatrist?

Replied By: tikkydo on May 10, 2016, 8:30AM
My 62 year old husband was diagnosed with ADHD about 3 years ago. He sees a psychiatrist for his Aderal (20 mg daily). He also has a long history of anxiety and depression so that same doctor also put him on Escitalopram (20 mg. Daily) and Wellbrutin (300 mg) as well as Hydroxyzine HCL for insomnia. He also takes Perindopril (4 mg) for high blood pressure. He seems to be in a bit of a daze most of the time and prone to emotional outbursts. In the past two years, he has also had two serious accidents with power tools that landed him in the ER. The last injury, to two fingers, required 25 stitches from a plastic surgeon. Plus he sleeps quite a bit. I wrote to his psychiatrist about a year ago to alert him to some of these issues but he just handed the letter to my husband at his next visit and suggested he had marital issues to work on. I realize the fatigue may be caused by the underlying depression but I wanted a second opinion on all this medication.  His slowed reaction times, fuzzy thinking, and forgetfulness are a concern to me because he wants to take another week-long solor motorcycle trip.  His mother had severe senile dementia but the brain scan he had last year after a possible TIA did not show any brain shrinkage or other abnormalities.  Thoughts? 

Replied By: mcr426 on May 3, 2016, 6:35PM - In reply to sisterofbpd
As Dr. Phil says, you can't change your friend....you can only change how you react to her.  I think you've done what you can to manage the situation and protect yourself until she gets help.   You have to stick to your guns and do what is right for YOU while perhaps encouraging her to seek professional help.  If she can't afford private help, most counties have social workers and other resources whom she could contact.

Showing 1-10 of total 200 Comments