Mental Health

From obsessive behaviors, to bipolar disorder and post-traumatic stress, mental health conditions can be debilitating. Are you suffering? Share your story and advice for others.

If you believe you need immediate assistance, please call your local emergency number or the mental health crisis hotline listed in your local phone book's government pages.

Click here for  mental health resources.

Click here to find a mental health professional.
Comments
Replied By: niko52 on Apr 18, 2016, 12:27PM
My 11 year old has been out of control going on two years now. She will have her moments where she'll do good for a few days at a time but for the most part she is disrespectful, lies and absolutely refuses to tell the truth even when we show her that we know tha truth already, steals, breaks every single rule we give her regardless of consequences. She's been in therapy since she was 6 and on medication for ADHD since then also, we're told she has ODD and a mood disorder and could possibly be bi-polar but she's too young to be diagnosed with that yet. I have been working with her for so long and no progress is being made. Now she's opened social media accounts that she's somehow accessing at school, afterschool, etc and I'm afraid of what may happen. Nothing we do or say is working and we've tried every option we have available that we can afford. I have been wanting to send her to a theraputic summer camp but they are so expensive, I work in law enforcement and don't want my child to end up in my office, I need help desperately. Can anyone tell me the best summer camp programs for kids like this, ones that are affordable or that have grants or scholarships? Please, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Replied By: rednkwmn70 on Apr 17, 2016, 6:36PM
Not a lot of people understand EXACTLY what it's like to live inside the body of a mental health sufferer. A lot of people look at me strange and with disbelief when I do or say something. There are day when I'm amazed myself ! All I want is to be ACCEPTED SND LOVED FOR ME! No matter what I do or say..or how I look! My mind races constantly and everything is scrutinized because of my experience with the memories of my life.. The most horrible always trumps the good because of the trauma suffered from it. Living with PTSD is agonizing, painful, and fearful... And there's only one person I ACTUALLY trust and that's my daughtet( love u Bird!) . So for those that suffer.. My prayers and hopes that one day our lives will be healthier in dealing with US, and I hope soon people will begin to at least TRY to understand a little and have some compassion on those who you know, see, or judge!

Replied By: bellenuit on Apr 15, 2016, 8:01PM
Went inpatient in early March. Although the depression is better, a little. The mania has me exhausted. I have been running full tilt for about 5 days. Physically I am becoming very tired, distracted, and confused but mentally my mind is still running so fast and disjointed I'm lucky to know my name most days. Knowing how fast things change I'll be running full speed again very soon. Holding on, but quickly losing my grip. Someone throw me a rope.

Bellenuit

Replied By: sisterofbpd on Mar 25, 2016, 11:58AM
My friend of 26 years has borderline personality disorder.  It's gotten so bad, I've had to block her from my cell phone. She says that she can't get better unless I unblock her.  I just can't deal with the constant texting, and phone calls. It's so out of control, I'm at my witt's end...... Any help here?

Replied By: bellenuit on Mar 10, 2016, 3:31PM - In reply to violinm9
After my first round of ECT I had almost 7 years of peace from my disorder. I suppose I became a bit complacent. Mental illness...and I am most familiar with Bipolar and PTSD...has a way of sneaking back up on you when you think you have conquered it.

Remember to take care of yourself and continue to do the things that help you to be well. Be diligent.

Bellenuit

Replied By: violinm9 on Mar 10, 2016, 3:19PM - In reply to bellenuit
I have run the gamut of treatment options for depression, partial hospital, inpatient, much therapy, medications which made me have a good number of car accidents in the a short space of time.  Now that I feel better, it feels strange.  I have the smug feeling that I willl never get sick again.  I suspect that that is not the case.  I am trying to do all the things that make me well and avoid those that don't. 

I wonder if anyone has any input on relapse prevention.  THanks.

Replied By: bellenuit on Mar 10, 2016, 3:10PM - In reply to elimay93
Sorry it took a while to reply. I have been placed back in an Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP). I am struggling at this point. I tried to call the crisis line at the clinic I spend three days a week at, but the lines were all busy. Why do I try? I tried to confide in my counsler today. She passed me off to a student who promptly insulted me (my perception mind you). I suppose I should admit myself again but I hate to go inpatient- Again! Tired and ready to quit.

Bellenuit

Replied By: elimay93 on Mar 5, 2016, 1:39PM - In reply to bellenuit
I also sit at home and wallow in my depression. I lost my parents a year ago; 6 weeks apart, and I'm still beside myself. I have clinical depression, and severe OCD. I just wander around like a zombie in "The Walking Dead. " Vodka seems to be my best friend right now. I know thats not the answer, however. I can function physically pretty good, but I'm mentally a WRECK. Sometimes, I feel like I need to be on Dr. Phil, but then I realize he would shred me apart. I wouldn't even make it through half of the show. Anyway, if you feel like talking, I'm here...SAD, but here.

{elimay93 or Leroy Jr.}

Replied By: bellenuit on Mar 3, 2016, 5:05PM
This month I will turn 46. This marks 30 years since my first major attempt on my own life and 20 years since my diagnosis of Bipolar I. I have worked since I was 17. December 31, 2015 marked my last day of work. I went off on medical leave and they thanked me for my years of serrvice by eliminating my job.

I didnt get help for bipolar and PTSD until my first breakdown in 1997. I have had two full cycles of ECT, multiple hospitilizations, countless medications, and years of therapy. I dont know what to do now and honestly I'm tired of trying. I sit home alone every day and try to think of a reason to continue. Who else sits at home writing to strangers online.

Thanks for listening....if anyone is listening.

Bellenuit

Replied By: yogajuliette on Mar 3, 2016, 12:29PM - In reply to grannieforzack
that  reply was so mean-if I had posted I would be crying and hiding in a closet

Showing 1-10 of total 194 Comments