Family

Have your loved ones shown you the true meaning of the word "family" with their actions? Or, is there a rift in your family that has gone on too long? Share your stories and solutions.
Comments
Replied By: maryvanlerberg on Jul 23, 2016, 3:01PM
It breaks my heart to see Olivia struggle with not having her child. Why won't dr Phil get her back the state should have to give her back it doesn't matter about foster mom she shouldn't have any say so in this matter because child was illegally taken from birth mom. Please dr Phil get Olivia back her daughter

Replied By: spiritual7365 on Jul 13, 2016, 12:21PM - In reply to sue43981
Hi Sue43981,    Wow! She is what is considered a "user & Abuser."   Because you are quiet and polite she takes advantage of it. I would be so frustrated if my husband allowed my sister'n law to treat me like that. You are too kind but on the other hand she would probably act like this. She acts outrageous because she knows your husband will put up with her request.

Now that takes us to the root of this problem. Dr. Phil says that when an in-law is being a problomatic person in a couple's relationship then it is up to the one related to that person to settle the issues. So this is your husband's responsibility to talk to her. From the beginning the decisions on her visits and ensuing issues should have been discussed. But, even if they weren't all talked through he should have informed her that "Sue and I feel...etc. Each time she changed from what you had spoken of to her (even the smaller ones) then your husband should have backed you up.

Years ago, I had a mother-n'-law problem and this was similar except we lived next door to her and every day for the first year, it seemed, we had to discuss her inability to see the "us" in our marriage.

I think that it took way to long to get across that she was wrong and disrespectful to you in your home. I also believe that people like her do not change. Antisocial Personality Disorder is a selfish way of a person getting their way and not settling for anything less. It is an "I want & I need" type of personality. This type does not care about anyones rules. Even when he would try to set her straight she still took advantage because she knows how to manipulate people. It is an "art form" to her!

Best of luck to you in the future. If she was told by both of you what you expect of her and she tried to behave in an adult way maybe there is hope of a future. But, your husband would have to stand with you on all issues. Nothing less and he seems to cave in too easily. I'm here if you want to talk further or go to my blog Friends Welcome. Blessings, Spiritual7365

Replied By: blended2016 on Jul 12, 2016, 3:31PM - In reply to latrinahats
Elder exploitation is the new crime of the 21st centurry.  One in forty cases are reported. The perpretator is vey likely to be a family member.  Some signs of elder exploitation are insidious such as the mail is intercepted, phone calls are unanswered or the elder stops calling you ( your  phone has been  number erased), an elder defers to another family member even though he/she is capable of making decisions. More obvious signs are physical neglect, weight loss, payments for expensive items that an elder would never purchase, missing bank statements, cancelled credit cards, a sudden change by appointing a new Medical and Financial Power of Attorney and a new executor of a will.  The elder is isolated from family and friends by the perpretator. Elders over 70 are more likely ( 50%) to have a decline in cognition such as judgement. While families focus on internal rivalries, they are missing the fact that their loved one is suffering emotionally at the hands of another. The Greatest Generation was raised to take care of their family and to never complain. Expoitive children usually have drug, alcohol and gambling addictions and also have a misguided sense of entitlement. If you suspect that your loved one is suffering and I emphazise suffering -  report it to the common entry point of your county. They investigate elder abuse and exploitation. No amount of money will ever replace a parent- do not dwell on that- rather be aware of the emotional pain that an elder suffers usually when they are at the frailest stages of their life. REPORT THAT !

Replied By: sue43981 on Jul 12, 2016, 3:13PM
I have let my sister-in-law run all over me.  She is playing a game I don't understand.  I am a quiet, patient and tolerant person. Here are some of the things she has done.

Five years ago she invited herself for a week's visit to our winter rental in the south.  I am a caregiver to our adult son.  He was having a psychotic episode.  Things had to be quiet.  She knew this and came anyway. My husband told her she could have the 2nd bedroom and our son could sleep on the couch in the living room in a small condo.  I knew he couldn't tolerate this.I moved to a hotel with my son.  She wouldn't rent a car so my husband took her around in ours.I was left with nothing.  I was beyond furious.  Then they made fun of my son's eating habits when they both have eating problems.

Another winter a relative died and my husband flew to her airport to drive her 600 miles to the funeral.  I was more or less told to stay at winter home.

She used my master bathroom and not the guest bathroom I gave her ONLY when I left the house.

She sent out a family email announcing her spring plans which was when I learned she and her son would be staying at our our house for a week.

She came with the stomach flu for a week.  My husband and another sister caught it.  I didn't.

She cooked in my kitchen when I left the house and left the dirty pots and pans in the sink that night.  Then she put them away dirty the next morning.

She locked me out of my house.  She doesn't like to ring the doorbell when she comes so she paid me back. 

She moved a box of her pictures from our old house to our new house when we were moving.  Yes, she came and stayed a week when we were moving and didn't help.  And yes that's the only box she carried.  I told her no to not move her things in my house.  She argued with me and said my husband said it would be ok.

She sent me an email on how to be kind to other people.  Just me.

Doesn't like what we watch on tv

Critizes my parenting.

Drove our new car before I did.  Came when we bought it and my husband let her dirve 150 miles 3 or 4 times to see her grandchildren.  I was left with old car.

My husband made her rent a car on one visit and she made him take her back to the airport to return it the next day.  Too expensive.  Then drove ours.

She knows I don't want her staying with us anymore but she doesn't care.  My husband told her she couldn't stay because I don't like her.  She can't u;nderstand why.  I know it's my fault for letting it go on.  I thought all sisters should be welcome no matter what.Can't just kick one out and let others in.  I don't think that anymore.  She just keeps bullying.

Replied By: blended2016 on Jul 12, 2016, 3:11PM
Never did I think that I would be the scapegoat and so hated by my husband's children.  We have been married for ten years.  His children were in their teens at that time.  I read and studied the issues that blended families have. I supported my husband's decisions about raising his children. My support has been emotional, financial, and by setting an example.  I am aware that I am not the biological mother and I have never interfered with that relationship. What I am sadly finding out is that children of divorce need counseling long before their biological parent remarries. Also , as these children age, they are more prone to drug and alcohol abuse. And these addictions take a very heavy toll on everyone involved.  Children of divorce are more apt to see only one person as the cause of their unhappiness and that is usually the step parent who enters that arena with the very best of intentions and learns very quickly that no matter what good is accomplished that it is only fleeting. God bless Step Parents- you have decided to love another's child unconditionally.  Maybe it is time to literally "step " back and realize that you are not the issue. The issue is the loss of that first family. 

Replied By: latrinahats on Jul 10, 2016, 9:33AM
Parents home finally sold after father passing in 1998 and mother in 2011.  Selling price of house was agreed by one sister and one brother who retained ownership of the property by a Quit Claim and $1 in 2002.  I was sent a cashier's check for $800.  Nothing multiplied or divided by 6 ends in zeros.  Brother informed me the amount given was rounded up from the left over amount of $19,600 after closing.  That figure doesn't get a round up to 800.  Then I find out that mother told oldest sister to not give me anything.  Not in writing, not notarized, don't know when she told her this and what frame of mind mother was in.  Not sure why family wants to continue with my mother's hatefulness.  Mother quite communicating with me the year after my dad passed because I sent an extra tropical plant to my grandmother's funernal (my dad's mom) in 1999 for my dad's brother to receive after the funeral.  Funerals can sure bring out the worst in poeple, especially when it's fighting over plants sent by friends and family.  Hind sight is 20/20 and now I see why Title Company has been so rude to me.  They only showed me the paper work where to sign and kept saying "sign here, and here, and here, etc.  No detail was described and I ended up signing something that is not true to my knowledge.  Eveyone else must have rec'd at least more than $4000. and I was as much a decendent of Paul and Ida Mae than 2 of my sisters and brothers.  Hoping to get return call from lawyer to assist me on what and if I should further any legal means.  I have asked God to quiet my mind so I can listen only to him after I pray to him for guidance, strenght, courage, and wisdom.

Would accept any advise or comments accordingly.  latrinahats

Replied By: leslie1973 on Jul 6, 2016, 11:41AM - In reply to spiritual7365
I dont think my messages are going through on your blog.

Replied By: leslie1973 on Jul 6, 2016, 11:40AM
How do you sign out of your account?

Replied By: stp78123 on Jul 5, 2016, 5:14PM
In life there are no guarantees but when someone claims to leave a relationship or marriage and states it is GOD will is perplexing and bold! They walked away claiming trust issues and insecurity but no abuse or infidelity. When you marry soeone you take some bad and take the good. When we marry under and believe in God's word then we can not be selective about his words of love, faith, and hope. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. People who use  people up for their selfish gains and claim to love God is dispicable and heartlesss!

Replied By: spiritual7365 on Jul 4, 2016, 10:18PM - In reply to leslie1973
hi Leslie1973,   I have set up a Blog & Post for you to continue writhing to me. Hope this helps. Waiting to hear from you there. Spiritual7365

Showing 1-10 of total 541 Comments