Exercise

A common denominator among people who successfully manage their weight and stay fit is that they exercise as a matter of habit. Pilates, yoga, and aerobics are hugely popular, along with good old-fashioned walking! What exercises do you find most effective? Share your routine with us!

Soon the Community will be closing down on DrPhil.com. Please log in to your account now to save any content, including images, posts, blogs and comments from your profile that you would like to keep, prior to the section being inaccessible.

Just because the community is closing doesn’t mean the discussions are ending. We still want to hear from you and encourage you to join the conversations on Dr. Phil’s social media channels! You'll be able to find exclusive show content, behind-the-scenes footage, personal Dr. Phil photos and more! And, you can join active viewer conversations.

Come join us:

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Comments
Replied By: andiepie15 on Sep 1, 2016, 12:56AM - In reply to leeshal
Good for you!  I belong to a gym, too.  Even though I use a walker when I'm outside,I take senior exercise classes.  They are FUN and good for me.

So KEEP AT IT!

Proud of you!

:)  Andiepie

Replied By: andiepie15 on Sep 1, 2016, 12:51AM - In reply to tysonmom22
I hope you haven't given up on seeing an answer to your post.  I it's been almost a year since I've posted.  Yes, I do have a suggestion for you.  Leslie Sansone has put out dvds called "Walk Away the Pounds".  They are excellent for getting back in to it again.  My guess is you can find them at a Target or Wal-Mart.  Or probably right here on the interrnet like through Amazon.  Don't let the words MIle or Miles get to you on the label.  What that really means is a shorter exercise time like about 22 minutes or 30. 

What I like about her dvds is that when you learn her four basic steps, you can do ANY of her dvds.

Hope you'll give this a tr.

Replied By: andiepie15 on Sep 1, 2016, 12:43AM
It's been almost a year since I've posted.  I apologize for that.  I did end up in the hospital for almost a week back in June.  I'm still waiting for the bill, and I'll bet I can use THAT as a weight for exercising.

I've still the weight off, and as of October 22, I will have been at a healthy weight for eleven YEARS!

How??? I thought you'd never ask.  The main thing is to be vigilant about your weight.  I weigh twice a week, and if I go over five pounds over my goal weight, I start a food journal again.  You'd be surprised how snacking can add the pounds in a hurry.

Don't ever think it's impossible to lose weight.  But do be reasonable with yourself.  You didn't put that weight on overnight, and you can't lose it overnight either.  Dr. Phil has written some excellent books on how to lose weight and how to keep it off.

Exercising is important, and it will help you on your weight loss journey.  A really good dvd on exercising for senior citizens is "Cardio and Strength Training for Seniors" with Angie Miller.  I have used this dvd a lot.  I also take senior exercise classes, and the teacher uses a lot of the same kind of exercises.You can also see if your town has free or low cost senior exercise classes.  It really is a lot more fun to do it with a class.  And they are NOT looking at you because they are looking at the teacher.

Hope you'll find my words encouraging. 

Replied By: tysonmom22 on Jan 11, 2016, 4:35AM
Hello yall! I have a question..I used to walk everyday that i was off 5 miles. I stopped(a big mistake)due to family problems and other things(me)...Now i cant seem to find the motivation to start walking again.. I work overnight and when i get off i make excuses to not walk..How do i get that motivation?? Seriously!  Any suggestions would be appreciated..Be blessed

Replied By: leeshal on Dec 7, 2015, 5:32PM
Hi

I have been a member of a local women's gym for 3 years. I really like it. I have mobility issues and use a walker. Never thought I would go to a gym. I went there to meet a friend. Well, I love it. There are only 3 machines I can do. The bike, rowing machine and vibrating plate. It's a challenge for me to get on and off the machines. ( That is a constant challenge. I also gave up booze, which helped my weight  loss of 30 pounds.

Hugs

Sandy

Replied By: andiepie15 on Nov 6, 2015, 12:16AM
I celebrated my TENTH Happy Healthy Birthday on October 22, 2015. 

Ten years ago i finally made it down to under 125 pounds.  I've not only kept it off, but I've lost more pounds after that.  It really does have to become a life style.  Keep eating in a healthy way and also exercising!

How do I celebrate a Happy Healthy Birthday?  I celebrate with fresh flowers!  (No ice cream and cake allowed on a Happy HEALTHY Birthday.)  Because this was my tenth year, I bought myself a birthday card!

So Happy Healthy Birthday to me!  And many more!

:)  Andiepie17

Replied By: andiepie15 on Sep 9, 2015, 12:09AM - In reply to mtodd500
that you are exercising.  Have you got something that you like to do?  That can make a lot of difference.  My personal favorite was taking a "Zumba" class.  If you can't afford to do that, you might see if there are free exercise classes or low cost exercise classes.

It's not that you can't do this on your own, but you will find that a regular schedule can help.  If you think everybody there will be watching you, they won't.  They are watching the teacher.

Also, there are dvds.  There are a wide variety. 

Find something that you like to do.  That way you are a lot more likely TO do it.

And you're right.  Dieting is hard.  But it will help you feel better.

:)  Andiepie17

Replied By: mtodd500 on Aug 31, 2015, 3:35AM
It seems like some days are better than others as far as working out. My goal is to become more consistent. I find walking helps but my bad eating habits are the worst!

Replied By: ravenlost1 on Jun 29, 2015, 5:43PM

still need to improve my yoga,.new place getting.used to new roommate...so.far not.bad

Replied By: ravenlost1 on Jun 29, 2015, 5:40PM

Use mirror as a.great.way to.check.positions,.to see if i need a.correction here or.there,.

Showing 1-10 of total 159 Comments