Teen Talk

Are you hanging out with the wrong crowd?
  Do you suffer from low self-esteem?
  Is there peer pressure at school to join a gang, drink, smoke or have sex?
  Do you have friends who are drinking and driving, and you're worried?
  Feel misunderstood by your parents?
  Fear that you're headed down the wrong path in life?
  Know someone in an abusive relationship? Is she too frightened or embarrassed to talk to her parents? Is she afraid to leave her boyfriend?
  Are you the one who has attacked your girlfriend? Do you struggle with anger issues but don't know how to ask for help?

Share your dilemmas and get advice from others.

Click here for additional resources.

Soon the Community will be closing down on DrPhil.com. Please log in to your account now to save any content, including images, posts, blogs and comments from your profile that you would like to keep, prior to the section being inaccessible.

Just because the community is closing doesn’t mean the discussions are ending. We still want to hear from you and encourage you to join the conversations on Dr. Phil’s social media channels! You'll be able to find exclusive show content, behind-the-scenes footage, personal Dr. Phil photos and more! And, you can join active viewer conversations.

Come join us:

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Comments
Replied By: smolandsalty on Jun 23, 2017, 12:23AM - In reply to lindsa90
Ibprofen is an over the couter pain killer and anti-inflammitory  that pretty safe when taken as prescribed. There's nothing addictive in it, meaning it doesn't trigger responses from dopamine or seratonin, like a narcotic does. If he's having to take so much ibprofen on a regular basis to treat these headaches, he does need to see a doctor, to get to the bottom of what might be causing the headaches. Thereare a lot of non-habit forming medications they can try to ease his headaches, as well as preventative meds. I've lived with chronic headaches and migraines for most of my life, I understand the pain can be excruciating to the point that you want to down a whole bottle of pills if it might work, and your brother might be in that place, just trying to keep the pain away, not addicted.

Replied By: daryner on May 26, 2017, 5:07AM - In reply to alphabetlife
Hello,

You may not fully understand this now, but I do hope that if you want to leave your boyfriend, you can, and you will always survive. Judging from your message, I know that you are way younger than I am. Believe me when I say that you will go through more heartaches in your life, and you will be able to survive all of them if you just start loving yourself first. Try doing things by yourself - watch a movie, go shopping, swim, whatever. You'll learn that you may not always need to be with someone to be happy. :)

Replied By: alphabetlife on May 5, 2017, 3:12PM
I can't just leave, because my boyfriend is the only one I have. But all he wants is sex and I aged out. How long do you keep doing this? And I hope I am entering this comment correct on this post. I wish I had a counselor, but since I don't this is second best. Feeling very alone right now.

Replied By: lindsa90 on Apr 21, 2017, 2:18AM
Hey!! I'm not sure if this si the right place to ask but I'm desperate for some answers. I hope you can bear with me and get your inputs. Can people become addicted to ibuprofen? 

My brother who is 17 years old is suffering from a severe headache and takes ibuprofen daily. He gets a headache when he is not taking ibuprofen. Does this mean he is addicted to it? I'm started to worry because I don't know if this will affect his health. Has anyone been addicted to any kind of medicines? How to did you overcome the addiction?

Is it a good idea to take him to an addiction counseling centre in Vancouver ( http://www.canadadrugrehab.ca/drug-alcohol-treatment/outpatient-addiction-counselling/first-nations/ )? I don't want to make things worse. I think it would be good if this can be treated asap. Any thoughts?

Replied By: aelrose on Dec 27, 2016, 1:26PM

It’s hard to move on sometimes. When so many things happen at once, you can feel like this is who you are. I know for me, when I was growing up, negativity was sort of the norm for me and every day was pretty much the same, which gave me the feeling that things would never change. Sometimes it’s hard to see the “lesson” that your past has for you because your past can make you very jaded. If you feel defined by that past then it’s hard to let go of it because it feels like it is you. It becomes your life lesson when you are able to move on and let go of the negativity, which is a very complicated thing to do. The other part of this is finding out what this so called lesson could have been. Sometimes it’s hard to look back at all these things that have defined or scarred you and find the silver lining that is the “lesson”. This is why there are so many people who are defined by their past, it can be easier in the moment to just forget about the past and look forward. But if we are always looking forward then how do we live in the moment and be happy? Basically, if we never move on from the past then it is our life sentence, to keep living and repeating. Once we accept that life is always changing and so are we, it can make life easier and make us happier.

Replied By: beckys11 on Nov 3, 2016, 10:38PM - In reply to monrousia
how are you doing now?

Replied By: bakertaylor28 on Aug 23, 2016, 7:40PM - In reply to jordataylor
This is an area in the law that requires a narrow balance. On the one side, parrents are allowed to dicipline their children how they see fit, so long as that dicipline doesn't constitute "excessive force" and so long as it doesn't leave physical indicia of injury.  However, some things, such as hair pulling, fist-fights, and the use of impact weapons always constitute a crime. However, the applicable statutes and the case law also differ from state to state.

Everyone whom witnesses an act that even remotely might appear to be child abuse has a moral and ethical obligation to report the events to the proper authorities. If law enforcement was called to the scene and a minor was involved, the law in most states requires police to forward a report to child protective services as well, regarless of whether the officer has enough evidence to file a criminal charge. This is mainly because the burden of proof needed for protective services to remove a child from the home is usually 'clear and convincing evidence" versus the standard of "beyond a resonable doubt" applied to criminal cases. 

Replied By: bakertaylor28 on Aug 23, 2016, 7:28PM - In reply to squaredpi
The fact that you apparently "forgot" this seems a bit suspicious in and of itself, because there is such a thing as "false memory" with this sort of thing, where a person at some point honestly thinks they remember something that is later shown not to be factually true. This is why the government is generally prohibited from using information obtained through psychological techniques designed to bring out and reactivate so called "repressed memories" with respect to these types of allegations.  The scienctific research also clearly shows that even the best eye-witness testimony has a tendency to have enough flaws in it that it should not be truested on its own. This has nothing to do with intentionally falsifing information as it has to do with the way the human brain processes information and will inherently "fill in the gaps" when it comes to information that wasn't observed, experienced, etc. 

That said, on a more personal level, speaking as a victim, I can say that one never "forgets" this sort of thing, so frankly, I call bull. 

Replied By: smishale on Oct 2, 2015, 1:49AM - In reply to raiser58
everyone goes through hard times. Times we feel like giving up, but the key is to keep your head up and keep pursuing whatever it is you are after. It could be worst. At times we dont realize that we cpull have it much worst and we are very fortunate to have what we do even if you may think it's little to nothing that's better then absolutely nothing. I pray that you find God because he is a life saver and if you just give him your troubles he will guide you in the path that he has designed for your life.

Replied By: heybabyphil on Sep 28, 2015, 6:59PM - In reply to acarrion1

This content requires the Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Please install the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash Player

b0ss

Showing 1-10 of total 61 Comments