Twitter Facebook YouTube

Open House

This is the forum to talk about the issues that mean the most to you. From family and finances to parenting and relationships, what's on your mind? Share entertainment gossip or sound off about the latest news story. Want to get something off your chest about the show? Do you agree or disagree with Dr. Phil's advice to a guest? Come on in, kick off your shoes and make yourself at home!
Comments
Replied By: cypress49098 on Sep 1, 2015, 5:54AM
At the start of the show you insited it was not about politics.  As it turn out it was!  Am I going to call or write Governor Fallin begging to spare Glossip life?  Hell no.  He is going to die. Call or write Governor Fallin all you want.  It's not going to do any good.  She will follow the law!  Even the U.S. Supreme rejected Glossip request for a new hearing.  And please, stop giving hope to Gloosip.  He will be VERY disappointed when they remove him from his cell to his death....

Replied By: mikela74 on Aug 31, 2015, 11:37PM
Dr. Phil I am a military man. I always tought my young soldiers that their is no honor, dignity, or pride to be had in taking anothers life. The taking of life should always be a last resort meaning its either their life or yours. I can see and understand both sides of the argument. For me moraly the death penalty should not exist.The death penalty is a touchy subject and the unfortunate reality is its the penalty in some states. Regardless how you feel taking a life is wrong. We all know this, but some people see it as closure. If you dont like it, do whats LEGALLY necessary to change it. Threatening those that follow the law and do their job will not solve anything. Most would rather not do their job but they have a family to take care of.

Replied By: rebekahruth on Aug 31, 2015, 9:31PM
Thank you Dr. Phil for taking on this controversial subject so bravely. As a people, we are growing toward a moral understanding of the difference between justice and vengeance. I have written a 70-minute interactive play, "Edward Watson Must Die: Proving the Innocence or Guilt of the Death Penalty," in which the audience may explore ten different sides of the issue, from that of the victim's family, to social reformer, conservative moralist to pro-life priest. In the end the audience actually votes as part of the jury. The end is poignantly surprising. I am seeking venues to share this dialogue on stage. Discussion is critical and I appreciate this forum. Thank you.

Replied By: carvgm on Aug 31, 2015, 6:20PM
I want to start by stating that I have never seen the death penalty as beneficial to society. First of all, the individual(s) responsible for deliverying that lethal dose or electrocution is no less a murderer than the man or woman they are killing. God does not say we can kill because we made a law to carry out the death penalty. This is a clear example of how the law uses unjust and immoral tactics to carry out a sentence. This is not justice whatsoever. You have not been given permission to kill another man just because man made a law. In order to be the despicable person/s ending a persons life in the name of "justice," you have to be morally corrupt to have that job. Those people are no more safer to be on the streets than a child. I could never, even in the name of justice or "For the People," push the medication or turn on the electrocution that kills another human being. If you can deleiver that punishment, you are a murderer, you are unjust, you are acting as God, you likely have a hunger for power, control and domination putting yourself and your actions above those of everyone else.

Replied By: billbald on Aug 31, 2015, 4:32PM
I want to express my oposition to the death penalty.  In reality, this is a symptom of a much bigger problem:  That is, too many people view the criminal justice system as organized revenge.  For example, I remember a statement made by President Bush (1st one) that "some people have done crimes that are so hanus that they deserve the death penalty."  This is a statement that the criminal Justice system is there for revenge, otherwise the statement would be that some people show no ability for reformation ..."

As a good Christian, I must consider the example of Jesus, who, when he was being murdered by the powers that be, made the statement, "Father forgive them, for they no not what they do."  Not "Father strike them down as a murderer."

Even looking at the first murder recorded in the Bible, when Cain killed Able, there was no talk of killing Cain, rather a mark was placed on Cain so that he would not be killed.

Replied By: lhasamom2 on Aug 31, 2015, 2:12PM
The reason the death penalty is nol longer a deterrent is because it's NOT

Replied By: maxie512 on Aug 23, 2015, 3:52PM
My son David passed away July 3o, 2014. He was severely disabled with Cerebral Palsy and mental retardation, and his body just couldn't go on anymore. For the last few months Ihave been trying to recover his personal items from the group home(Wild Oak),but with no success. I even reached out to the parent company Rescare, out of Louville. I reached out to John Quinones (WWYD?), Dateline,48 Hours, any news media I could think of,...just asking for a little assistance. Here's a little FYI for you boys and girls; I majored in Communications (Radio,Television,Film and Video), and one of the things you learn in yout News classes,...."If It Bleeds, It Leads". The point of telling you this,....a little story about my and my precious son,.....well, it's got no juiceI do want to point out Andrea Canning (Dateline) pointed me to the Dateline Facebook page, and to tell my story. I gave up a very promising career for David, and I wouldn't trade all that joy,laughter and tenderness, for that career.

Although the loss of a child is devastating, to stand there, and watch them slowly drift away,....you know they are going to a better place,....no pain, no surgeries, no seizures,....but regardless of how you are told 'it does get better,...and it does in some ways,....the sorrow in your soul never goes away, No more hugs, no more kisses,....no more watching the childlike joy when they open their Christmas presents. We might have been poor,....but the riches David brought forth,...well those kinds of riches cannot be measured. I don't know why I keep getting blown off and ignored by Wild Oak and ResCare about getting David's personal items back,...if not found, I was told they would be replaced. Before I went to get some of David's stuff at the group home, I called the QMRP,she told me everything was boxed up and ready to go. That wasn't even remotely true. What few things that 'were'  there,we had to put in trash bags Infuriated? You betcha,....a testament to my son,.....trash bags.

I'm back to starting life over again,.....feels kind of strange, but it is a necessity. Willing, able, talented,....now able to start that career,.....I'm sorry, did I forget to mention I have run into age-ism? One person I met e-v-e-n patted my head,.....can you believe that? Plus, back to standing in line at pantry (n-e-v-e-r any protein). Praying and praying that I find someone who's looking to donate a dependable and reliable car. I read about some folks back east who have programs like that,.....and the other programs,...they are called "Angel Mechanics" (usually, but not always) affliated with a dealership,....they donate their talent and services, to bring a car up to speed,running safely. For instance,...out in the parking lot there is a 2001 SAAB 9-3, that is desperate for a bumper to bumper tune up, and a check on the condition on the inner workings of the car. So far, not having much luck of anything,....but I have never been known to give up easily. Getting help from Dr. Phil, Robin, or even the sensational Ellen Degeneres,....well,me and my son's little story,....it jusk doesn't fit their format,.....but they are still wonderful people.

Blessings to one and all, and like Ellen says, " Be Kind To One Another".

Replied By: kenmullin on Aug 17, 2015, 12:54PM

Dr Phil,

I am a fellow alumni of North Texas State, and an avid follower of your show, I find myself in agreement with you on issues probably more than 95% of the time and wish to share a concern with you, as well as, a sure-fire solution that is so simple, I cannot fathom why I am the only one who seems to have addressed this.

I am referring to the recent pattern of mass killings so  prevalent today. I am located in Charleston SC, and, of course we have been in the news recently. As I mention this, may I also add how proud I am of my community and how we turned an horrific act of hatred and reversed this cowardice and showed Unity and Love. The key to our success was the focus on the victims and their roles in the community not the perpetrator of this act. Once the kid was apprehended, we focused on the community and those we lost.

My solution, that I am convinced will stop these acts, is simple and doesn’t involve any loss of weapons or rights.

I call it the JOHN DOE SOLUTION.

All of the offenders are suicidal, to some extent, mentally Ill, or see no positive future in their life. This, coupled with a need for notoriety or just simply attention, leads them to injure others as they plan their own death. My solution is this.

Take away all incentive from these choices by implementing these five steps, and you end the cycle of copy-cat offenses of this nature. [Domestic Terrorism]

John Doe Solution

1. After the perpetrator of an act of domestic terrorism is either apprehended or disposed of, he becomes John Doe [A-Z] and his family is notified of his actions and his fate.

1. We never see his photo.

1. We never hear about his story, illness, or manifesto.

1. His trial is swift and fate carried out swiftly, so that John Doe[a-z] is forgotten as soon as possible.

1. Instead of focusing on the perpetrators message, the media should focus on the heroes and victims that were lost.

It seems that in media, there is a desire to claim ratings and to make the first report. The media has it backwards. I was infuriated to see the picture of the boston bomber on Rolling Stone. Now Hollywood has made a movie based on the story of the Virgin Gunman. When does it end? Noome wants to hear about these stories.

The John Doe Solution will also aid in the discouragement of anybody who might be contemplating activity with Isis. Only the NSA and FBI need access to all the perpetrators information, in order to apprehend and prevent possible allies and influences of future perpetrator’s acts. I believe this is a viable solution and will end this vicious cycle of tragedy. I am eager to have your thoughts on this.

Ken Mullin WWW.mullinmusic.com

Replied By: kenmullin on Aug 12, 2015, 11:22AM

Dr Phil,

I am a fellow alumni of North Texas State, and an avid follower of your show, I find myself in agreement with you on issues probably more than 95% of the time and wish to share a concern with you, as well as, a sure-fire solution that is so simple, I cannot fathom why I am the only one who seems to have addressed this.

I am referring to the recent pattern of mass killings so prevalent today. I am located in Charleston SC, and, of course we have been in the news recently. As I mention this, may I also add how proud I am of my community and how we turned an horrific act of hatred and reversed this cowardice and in showing unity and love, converted his attempt into a massive fail. The key to our success was the focus on the victims and their roles in the community, not the perpetrator of this act. Once the kid was apprehended, we focused on the community and those we lost.

My solution, that I am convinced will stop these acts, is simple and doesn’t involve any loss of weapons or rights.

I call it the JOHN DOE SOLUTION.

All of the offenders are suicidal, to some extent, mentally Ill, or see no positive future in their life. This, coupled with a need for notoriety or just simply attention, leads them to injure others as they plan their own death. My solution is this.

Take away all incentive from these choices by implementing these five steps, and you end the cycle of copy-cat offenses of this nature. [Domestic Terrorism]

John Doe Solution

1. After the perpetrator of an act of domestic terrorism is either apprehended or disposed of, he becomes John Doe [A-Z] and his family is notified of his actions and his fate.

1. We never see his photo.

1. We never hear about his story, illness, or manifesto.

1. His trial is swift and fate carried out swiftly, so that John Doe[a-z] is forgotten as soon as possible.

1. Instead of focusing on the perpetrators message, the media should focus on the heroes and victims that were lost.

It seems that in media, there is a desire to claim ratings and to make the first report. The media has it backwards. I was infuriated to see the picture of the boston bomber on Rolling Stone!

1.  This will also aid in the discouragement of anybody who might be contemplating activity with Isis. Only the NSA and FBI need access to all the perpetrators information, in order to apprehend and prevent possible allies and influences of future perpetrator’s acts. I believe this is a viable solution and will end this vicious cycle of tragedy. I am eager to have your thoughts on this.

Replied By: betteray55 on Jul 31, 2015, 12:16PM
Why would a "professional" go to Africa to murder a loved lion.  Dr. Palmer, not only injured Cecil but then tracked him for 40 hours to finish him off.  His claim that he did not know the animal was in a protected sanctuary is bs.  They lured him out of his area with another dead animal, Cecil had a GPS collar (which they later tried to remove) beheaded and skinned him.  Real men shoot with cameras.  I hope this thing is extradited and serves a long time in a dirt floor cell so he can ponder his action.  There will be repercussion to his family now, and he has also put them in jeopardy, it's unfortunate this "thing" even bred.  Hopefully his children do not possess his hatred gene.  He is in hiding now, showing the coward he really is, not the big bad hunter he was July 7th.  He is a disgusting example of a human, and I wonder how his parents raised this.  I hope he loses everything he has worked for, no one in their right mind would patronize him again. May the eyes of Cecil haunt him for the rest of his miserable days.

Showing 1-10 of total 200 Comments