Twitter Facebook YouTube

Open House

This is the forum to talk about the issues that mean the most to you. From family and finances to parenting and relationships, what's on your mind? Share entertainment gossip or sound off about the latest news story. Want to get something off your chest about the show? Do you agree or disagree with Dr. Phil's advice to a guest? Come on in, kick off your shoes and make yourself at home!
Comments
Replied By: yusufk on Jun 16, 2015, 9:27AM
A major hurdle here in Baltimore City is the various stigmas associated with being Black, even if city officials are black themselves; the issues are more deep-seeded than we originally imagined!

Being Black in any major metropolitan can become a nightmare on many levels and speaks to the reverance that well-off Blacks may also contain a form of reverse racism toward those from poorere backgrounds.  It seems, even living in a seemingly black town that, there contains a division of sorts; even when you have opportunities before you.

"The Peace Talks" Tour will respond in a cordially fashion, to speak to city leaders, business and faith leaders, corporations, foundations, individuals, organizations, and the like in an effort to passing the baton - by working together to make life more prosperous for every resident regardless of their skin color, economic status or personal circumstances.

Replied By: dayreal on Jun 12, 2015, 12:41PM
Why do  pitfalls  still exist  in society  since  we as human beings have the control and power  to remove  drugs, human degradation, human trafficking, Poverty, Hunger, homlessness. From my view i find this society that and environment i lived in  for four decades. The pitfalls our drivng the human soul and psyche  into submission with the pitfalls in place  and  lack of information within the societal environment. Pathological behaviors are  ruining our founding father's plan for our americas, our future is being wasted on lack of unity and too much captilization among the big companies which this practice has trickle down too the impovershed and defeated ones. Unification is not solid or bold in restoring to the fundamentals of our in place positive rules that help guides into a important part of our psyche Happiness and Peace. I cry  but my eyes are drainded i frown but my face muscles are hurt and sore. Our human evolution is at stake if w do not change with the planet  we will be left behind and the change is coming and we must be prepared.

Replied By: maggsie on Jun 5, 2015, 11:09AM
I am curious!  Did you try to get 
"the interview"  with the Duggers.  And, if you did, why wouldn't they come on your show?

Also, would you still have them on, if you could?

I would love to see an interview w/o the excuses for the son, Josh.  

Can you have a program about "family abuse", w/o naming the Duggers?

I was totally w/o sympathy for them when this came out.  But on the other hand, when do 

you turn in a child for molesting a sibling?

Replied By: thisado on May 26, 2015, 7:54AM
I was told recently I needed to  check the strength  of my birthdate. 11/11/1947 my name is Diane. Is there anything to this?

Replied By: haroldkrieg on May 10, 2015, 12:59PM
Clark County, Nevada District Attorney Steven Wolfson commits malicious prosecution and prosecutorial misconduct.  For more details, read my whistleblower blogsite.

http://www.officermichaelvandyke.blogspot.com

Replied By: maggsie on Apr 22, 2015, 3:09PM
Dr. Phil, I am not a big fan of Bravo, but I have seen enough of the shows to 

se it as very angry & a lot of backbiting.

When I read that you are going to have Kim Richards on your show, I wanted to

suggest that you have her sister Kyle on with her.

I feel really feel sorry for Kim.  I would drink too, if I had Kyle for a sister.  No support, 

only criticism & public humiliation!!!!!

Just a thought!

Replied By: sampson12 on Apr 21, 2015, 7:53PM
As an educator of 20 years, I have noticed a steep decline over the last five years of the social ability of children coming into kindergarten.  After much pondering, I feel that the reason is the increasing amount of screen time children are receiving.  As I am out in the community, I see more and more children being handed a phone instead of being talked to or disciplined.  Yes, it is easier and less time consuming to put a device in front of a child.  However, the time invested in your child outweighs the time you will spend later down the road when your child is unable to function at school or they are diagnosed with attention issues.  Parents, please put down the devices, and invest in your child(ren)!  It is time well spent.

Replied By: melissaw72 on Apr 15, 2015, 9:52PM
Let's see if this posts:

I hope this posts ok, wans't sure where to post it. I think I just lost the whole thing too and am re-writing it.

I'm sorry it is so long ... needed to put in background info first.

A couple years ago I was molested by a man in my building, on multiple occasions.  We were not in any relationship other than friends, and he knew that too (he's older than my parents are, early 70s). 

But ... anyway ... I know what it is like to be in an abusive relationship (even if a friendship) that is extremely hard to get out of.  He always got so angry when I wouldn't have sex with him (and the thing is I managed to never have intercourse with him, but he did other things to me I can't talk about now).  So controlling.  He is just a sex fanatic and as my psychiatrist puts it, "sees me as a sex object."

I finally was able to avoid him long enough and not talk to him for long enough that he finally stopped talking to me.  About 2.5 years ago I stopped talking to him, and we have barely spoken since.  He never even asked why I stopped talking to him (because he knows exactly what he did). My parents don't know, and won't for various reasons ... it really isn't any of their business anyway.

I never pursued a restraining order (even though my psychiatrist suggested to) because he did leave me alone and stopped talking to me all together.  Plus it was my word against his, and I am on medication and have a diagnosis that both work against me.  I can't fight that.  So I keep my distance. 

We still co-exist in this condo building, and rarely bump in to each other.  But because I live in the back side of the building, I can see him come and go all. the. time. and I can not stop getting his face out of my head.  And for some reason this is totally bothering me more than usual.

Me moving from here is out of the question for various reasons I can't really talk about.  But the point is I can't just forget about him because I am constantly being reminded of him by seeing him every day going to/from his car, as well as just his face in my mind won't go away.

Getting to the point of this post ... A friend of mine in the building (who knows him also and is friends with) knows what he did to me (I told her).  And she said she was sorry that happened.  So what does she do?  Just about every time I am on the phone with her or in the car with her she mentions his name as if we all are friends, and talks about him, says hi to him when I am around and he walks by, etc.

How do I nicely tell her not to talk about him around me?  I mean I can't tell her who to talk to and not talk to, who to be friends with or not, etc.  So I am trying to figure out a way to nicely tell her to stop talking about him to me/around me.  I need to keep in mind that she can be kind of arrogant, but in her own way ... not arrogant like you might think.  She also helps me get places in emergencies (DR appts, grocery store, etc) which I really rely on when my parents can't help me out. 

I just don't know what to do about it.  Next time she brings up his name I am going to say something, but not sure what I'll say right now.  I can't predict what she'll say so I know what to say back to her.  I'm not good at confrontation either, and am the kind of person that will cry when being yelled at and will think of things I wish I'd said when being "talked to" (or whatever).  It is hard for me to think in the moment.

Any advice on what to say to her, without sounding like a bitch myself?

Thanks for reading.

If you want to email me with advice instead of writing it here, my email is melissaw72@verizon.net

Replied By: pattyt98 on Apr 14, 2015, 5:22PM
I love Dr. Phil.....but I've really gotten to dislike the dual topic shows.. It seems like you go from a heavy topic...and then mid show...some totally non related topic..  It's like..." My mothers a drug abuser" then after the commercial it goes to "watch my dogs new trick"

I can't make the connections......

Replied By: sunnyj on Apr 6, 2015, 9:28AM
I am the adult child of a narcissistic father & enabling mother.  When I watch your shows about families, I can imagine my parents responding like the loving totally devoted parents on your show.  I can see myself responding "appropriately", as would be expected by them.  The realities of the child being raised without love, empathy or devotion would be brilliantly hidden, even by the trained child.  Had I participated in such a show with my parents (and we had plenty of topics), it would have been a crushing blow in my young life covered up by all the sweetness & drama imaginable.

I actually started to understand how inept my parents were/are as I started raising children of my own.  I'm not so good at the public show, but my children know unconditional love & devotion.  My parents are brilliant at the public show and devoid of those all-important parenting emotions.  

My heart breaks when I see some of these kids, hearing & seeing their parents proclaim love to them with Dr. Phil.  That display of love may be the first time in the child's life he/she has heard this & the child revels in the moment.  After the show, it's back to reality.  I pray that Dr. Phil's devotion to children has a way of digging into the child's undisclosed pain & can start their road to healthy independence & healing.

I understand that most parents are not narcissistic, but in my world this was the norm.  I would hope that there is a way that Dr. Phil can screen these parents/grandparents out before showtime, but my reality has been that they are experts at passing such screens & endearing themselves to the public.  I did not figure it out until my 60's, having spent a lifetime blaming myself & feeling guilty for all of my parents' weaknesses.

Showing 1-10 of total 188 Comments