Twitter Facebook YouTube

Open House

This is the forum to talk about the issues that mean the most to you. From family and finances to parenting and relationships, what's on your mind? Share entertainment gossip or sound off about the latest news story. Want to get something off your chest about the show? Do you agree or disagree with Dr. Phil's advice to a guest? Come on in, kick off your shoes and make yourself at home!
Comments
Replied By: lilian5 on Sep 22, 2014, 8:14AM
I have a problem with my 2 year old.  Every time he gets back from his Dad.  He is kicking, punching and biting expecially if you are changing his nappy.

He will not eat and does not want to sleep in his own bed.  He will start screaming in his sleep.  I must phyisically wake him and then i spend at least and hour to calm him down.

The childre psychologist i took him to say that it is seperation anxiety and her suggestion was that his Dad must visit with him at the house and not take him away.

After she has spoken to the Dad her words where as follow:  My son is impossible naughty and that i must give him a big heiding and put him in his room to cry it out.

She is afrikaans and se actually used a swear word of being naughty.  Can any tell me their thoughts on this??

Replied By: brandysnap on Sep 12, 2014, 1:24AM - In reply to shyamentu
OMG can also mean Oh My Gosh or Goodness.  It is akin to Oh Golly! and rarely actually means to bring religion into the statement. 

Replied By: brandysnap on Sep 12, 2014, 1:14AM - In reply to missmarjoleine
I have rarely seen this happen, and when I did, the person was wearing a special occasion dress (which would have cost far more than they could afford).  They considered it a form of  'borrowing'. 

personally prefer to buy my expensive dresses on huge discount sales.

Replied By: rkzenrage on Sep 5, 2014, 1:19PM - In reply to shyamentu
I've been an atheist for my entire life & am a lay student of mythology & history. It seems to be an innocuous hold-over from a time when it meant more. Similarly, "god bless you" is no longer a safeguard against you sneezing your soul out. I just take it as it's intended.

As atheists in a theistic society with a secular government that's under siege at it's core, we have more pressing matters to be concerned about.

Replied By: hungfrommyhalo on Aug 22, 2014, 6:13AM
I feel so odd writing here.  I don't know what I'm doing.  All I know is I just want to release my thoughts through writing and the anonimity of the Internet is quite welcoming.  I don't want replies, and in fact if you give them (I tried to turn off replies but apparaently that's not an option) I will most likely not reply.  Speaking amongst a community that strives to understand is comforting.  So may I journal here?  We all seek healing in different ways.  This is mine, I guess....

My depression gets the best of me quite often.  I can't explain it, and I don't do it on purpose.  I don't know if I'm a glutton for punishment or perhaps I feel that I deserve it.  I'm going to go with the latter if given a choice, but if I'm being honest with myself it may be both.  What really gets to me, though, is... I truly feel I deserve it.  This darkness, this depression.  I deserve to be who I am.  I am the lesser.

All I wanted to do was write something and try to make sense of something that doesn't. Today I wrote:

“It's amazing how little it takes to feel rejected.  I can blame the depression, maybe that's the issue.  I don't know.  I've been told my whole life how sensitive I am.  And it could be that, too.  I don't know what it is.  A sister who skips lunch, a cousin who puts something off.  It's seriously incredible how little it takes to feel meaningless.  To the outside world I'm sure I'm ridiculous.  But in this world, the world I live in everyday, it's everything.  

You can pretend something doesn't exist, but it always catches up with you.”

I cried the entire time I wrote it.  What dawned one me after was:  I actually let a piece of it out.  I actually spoke about a piece of it, if even just to myself.  I no longer just held it in.  There was a small yet terrifying sense of freedom in that.  

I began to view it as a broken mirror.  There are these shards of glass when a mirror is shattered.  Some broken pieces are bigger than the others, and those give the bigger picture because they give the better reflection.  The major things that occur in a person's life is seen as those big pieces.  But when a mirror breaks, it doesn't just break into big pieces.  What about the smaller bits that shatter and spread all over?  You can't always find them all.  They scatter and so are easily lost and they are always the ones that hurt the most because they wedge themselves in the flesh of your feet when you least expect it.  And every time you take a step forward, there is this painful reminder of where you've been.  That's how we normally find those.  Or when you're trying so hard to pick up the pieces, they slice your fingers, they cut you deep and they make you bleed because they imbed themselves in you.  The big pieces are easy.  The small pieces are difficult reminders of a mirror that broke.  Sometimes you can't even find the tiny pieces until years later and you suddenly remember that stupid mirror that broke, whether your fault or not, and all the wounds are fresh again because once more, those pieces make me bleed.  And what's more awful is you remember what that mirror was.  How beautiful it began and what a disaster it ended up becoming.

That's the way I feel.  I focus on my depression verses what everyone else focuses on.  People, especially my family, look at those big pieces of me, knowing my past and the things that have happened.  But just the larger pieces, the glass doesn't cut their fingers or find a home in their foot.  I alone find those little pieces.  And it's the littlest pieces that hurt the most and make me bleed from the inside out.

So, I do feel ridiculous to the outside world.  But this is my world and no one but me lives in this everyday.  It's consuming.

I just want to be the best version of myself I can be.  Because what I am isn't good enough.

Replied By: ragmuffin on Aug 16, 2014, 12:13AM
I am so tired of hearing everyone say theres help out there if you need it.THERE IS LOTS OF HELP IF YOU HAVE THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS YOU CAN SPEND. COME ON DR.PHIL COME TO MY WORLD AND WATCH IN SLOW MOTION AS YOUR SON IS SLOWING DYING BEING ADDICTED TO METH AND CAN'T GET ANY HELP!!!! ALL STATE FUNDED REHABS ARE FULL AND HAVE WAITING LIST SO PLEASE PLEASE STOP SAYING THERE IS HELP IF YOU NEED IT. LA HACIENDA IS 1000.00 DOLLARS A DAY OR MORE AND YOU MUST HAVE INSURANCE. I live in a daily nightmare with my sons addiction and now my granddaugher whois 5 is suffering. They have labeled her autistic because of her being immature due to her parents.She is a beautful bright child who does not deserve to be labeled because of her parents mistakes. SO PLEASE PLEASE STOP PREACHING ABOUT HELP OUT THERE UNTIL YOU COME BACK TO THE REAL WORLD WHERE NOT EVERYONE HAS INSURANCE AND ALOT OF MONEY!!!!!

Replied By: msez3qr0oq on Aug 11, 2014, 8:20PM
I don't understand.

I think about cutting myself open on a daily basis and I don't do it.

What makes him better than me; that he can do it and I fail at it?

Replied By: sandicheeks10 on Aug 10, 2014, 11:23AM
hi dr phil my real name is not sandi. im sorry but i have to hide my identity. my mom could read this. i am 23 and i live in the philippines. i believe my mom is very controlling. she controls me and all the people arpund her. she thinks she is always right and she is very narrow minded. she does not take criticisms well. i love her but i dont want to lose respect. i am still unemployed since i cannot make my own choices. i still have a curfew and they just want me to stay in our house all day doing nothing so they could keep mr "safe". she controlls everybody around her and my dad goes along with her to avoid fighting. i am to the point suicidal that i constantly think of ending my life to end this misery. i know its stupid but im sorry. i cant help it. they are just too much!

Replied By: shyamentu on Aug 6, 2014, 4:19PM - In reply to willemp
Hiya Willem,

I'm atheist, so perhaps you won't care for my opinion, but I do not feel that the phrase is particularily offensive or, rather, meant to be. I think for most Americans, it's more a habit than any conscious decision to take His name in vain. I avoid the phrase, for somewhat obvious reasons, so perhaps there's something I'm not aware of going on here. I have known other atheists to use it which always confused me a little.

It's an interesting thought though, I never really considered why people use the expression, and I'd like to know Dr Phil's opinion on it, too :)

- Shyamentu

Replied By: missmarjoleine on Jul 30, 2014, 6:52PM
every now and than i am very surprised at what people can find acceptable, or even normal.

people who go to the store to buy a new outfit, than proceed to wearing it for a day, leaving the tags on, and take it back to the store the very next day to get their money back.

what is that about?
to me that is at the very least a type of cheating, and i would take it so far to say it is a form of stealing 

am i the only one here who finds it not only rude and wrong but also kinda disgusting..i mean.. people have been wearing this...? i know of someone who bought pants only to find out that there was a bloodstain in the crotch... how gross is that??

i am wondering what makes people do this, what is going through peoples minds to think that is it okay to take advantage like this...
and why is this so normal all of the sudden? 

the other day there was a lady wearing a shirt with the tag on, so i pointed this out and offered to cut it off for her. she claimed that she had forgotten to take the label out, but it was okay, i didnt have to cut it, her hair was supposed(!!) to cover it. (ha ha ha so much for "forgetting to take it out")
now she is at least trying (poorly) to hide it, but there are people flaunting this behaviour.
why?
why is it so wonderfull to be a cheater in life?

small side note here, i can kinda get some of it, if you live in poverty and cant afford clothes.. but even than, there are better and more becomming options than cheating..
what really gets me is the people who have money, but do this 'just because they can'

Showing 1-10 of total 144 Comments