Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

It’s been nearly two years since Terry and Laurie  last appeared on Dr. Phil in an attempt to save their then 20-year-old daughter, Amanda, who admitted at the time to being addicted to OxyContin, heroin and cocaine, among other drugs. Immediately following the show, Amanda checked in to and spent 30 days at a treatment center. Seemingly on the road to recovery, she was offered an extended treatment program, that she left prematurely, and eventually moved back home. Terry and Laurie say since their daughter’s return, things have spiraled out of control, and Amanda’s life is now hanging in the balance. And, they reveal that their deepest fears have been confirmed: They say she’s now prostituting herself to feed her addictions and was last seen living in a seedy hotel room. Dr. Phil invokes the help of private investigator Harold Copus and mother-son intervention team Brandon and Debbie to find Amanda and stage an intervention at the hotel. Will she agree to treatment, or chose a life on the streets?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: luvlife6577 on May 12, 2012, 7:39PM
I have been watching the Dr. Phil show forever.  2 of my favorite guests/families are "the dr. phil family"--katherine, marty, Alex, and Erin--and Brandon.  I remember watching Brandon on the first appearance and he found a place in my heart.  I cried for his parents.  I believed in him.  Even with his relapsing I KNEW God had a plan for this young man.  Bless his parents for not giving up on him.  And now, to hear about their new show and to see all the work they have done is inspiring.  I love seeing Brandon and Debbie work with familes...you can see they love they have for what they do.  Thank you Brandon and Debbie for allowing us into your lives and sharing your ups and downs with all of us.  You are amazing...God Bless you!

Replied By: tbonet on May 12, 2012, 9:23AM
I like the sound of another chance rather then  LAST CHANCE FOR AMANDA.  All i can say is Thank God for Dr. Phil that he does not give up.   It made me sad to hear that Amanda's parents were making funeral arrangements.  No disrespect to them it just sounds painful.  I can not imagine what they have gone through emotionally, physically and financially.    I hope Amanda will be a success story like Brandon.   Brandon made it, what choices did he make that has kept him from going back to drugs.  Did he have any moments of temptation.  I pray Amanda can make it this time for her sake and her parents.  PRAYING FOR YOU AMANDA.

Replied By: rondingrox on May 12, 2012, 8:44AM - In reply to jaguar1993
I'm no expert by any means, but I used to be an addict, had many addict friends, some of whom I've lost. I'm very sorry for your daughter and your family. To me not giving up means don't write her off for good and hold onto hope. It's not giving up to stop enabling her. Don't give her money period. Don't let her come and go from your house as she pleases. It's not helping her and it's destructive to you and her children. When you do talk her I would keep it simple. If she's asking for money or a place to stay I would let her know that you will not enable her in anyway, but when she's ready to accept help and get clean you'll be there for her. Tell her you love her, believe in her and you'll never give up. Most people cant afford rehab however if she applied for medicaid it will cover a program in her area. Of course this will be her choice. I've heard of people going to court to get a person deemed incompetent, but have never seen it work. Still might be an option to look into. If you know where she stays, call the police. Better she's in jail than the alternative. Addicts are usually guilty of more than just having drugs on hand. I know this isn't much. I've been both an addict and a person who loves an addict. I know how painful it is. Don't lose hope. I now have a very happy life, one that I couldn't have ever imagined. It's always possible for any addict. I hope this helps at least a little.

Replied By: upsydasy on May 12, 2012, 7:59AM - In reply to debbieknauss
Please allow me to take this opportunity to extend to you and Brandon my very best wishes for success with your new show.  I hope that it will enable you to help more people than ever before as well as educate those of us who need it.  I can tell you that I personally needed that extra little “nudge” so I can be kinder and more sympathetic towards the addicts who are living on the streets in my neighborhood.

Thank you.

Most sincerely,
Dominique (Montreal, Canada)

Replied By: iraqvet on May 11, 2012, 9:56PM
There has to be a way that a state or federal government should REQUIRE addicts like Amanda to go and STAY with an in-patient treatment program. I do not know what the statistics of people who die from addiction of this magnitude but I imagine that it is staggering.. A member of my family is an alcholic. My wife is scared to death that she is going to get a call one day to hear another family member say that the family is dead.

302(involuntary) commitmentsare not enough... there needs to be more done by the legislature to address this issue....

Replied By: femailman on May 11, 2012, 8:48PM - In reply to debbieknauss
I think the show is going to be great and I look forward to it.  People need to be educated about addiction, and I think the show will give people some insight into what addicts go through themselves, and how hard it is on everyone who cares about them.

Replied By: femailman on May 11, 2012, 8:34PM - In reply to lindabthompson
That is the drug I abused the most. I know what it can do to people.  I am fortunate that I didn't become addicted and that I didn't hurt anyone or steal anything to get it, but I am a VERY rare exception to what happens to people who use Meth.

Replied By: femailman on May 11, 2012, 8:29PM - In reply to kaylee09
I think people need to be educated.  I am not an addict, but like Dr. Phill has said in reference to many things, asking an addict to just stop by themselves is like asking them to grow taller.  It is a very complex disease.  When someone uses for the first time, I believe they think "it won't happen to me" or they don't understand the risk they are taking.  And, sometimes people are SO desperate to not hurt even if it's just for a minute, they will do ANYTHING.  I am fortunate that I'm not an addict because I have felt that level of  desperation, and abused drugs myself. A lot of drugs.  It is truly a miracle that I had the desire and ability to just walk away.

Replied By: femailman on May 11, 2012, 8:18PM - In reply to janet1983
I second that!  I am not an addict, but I have been around people who are, and I am very interested in the topic. I know addiction is extremely difficult, for the addict themselves, and everyone who cares about them.  I commend the Dr. Phil show for making treatment available to so many people, and for educating people about addiction.  Many people seem to be under the dilusion that an addict can just stop, and don't understand that people self-medicate because they don't know what else to do.  From what I understand, it is very rare to find an addict who doesn't have underlying issues, if there are any.  I am sorry that addiction is such a problem, and wouldn't wish that on anyone, but I have learned A LOT about it from being around it.  I have abused drugs, and I could have become an addict.  It is truly a miracle that I am not.  I have a lot of physical and emotional problems, and used a lot of drugs, but just for about 3 months.  I was never all that impressed with any of the drugs I used, and it made my life harder.  I didn't know or care about the magnitude of the fire I was playing with.  I'm grateful that I decided that I didn't want to use anymore and walked away.  I know that is highly unusual, so I feel very blessed that I could just walk away and never look back.  I don't miss it, and can't really say I ever did.  It was WAY more trouble than it was worth, and that's just in general. I never had legal problems, I never stole anything from anyone, I never pawned anything, etc....

Replied By: alimich1981 on May 11, 2012, 7:26PM
Congrats to Debbie and Brandon on their new show! You guys are AWESOME! You have SO much heart and commitment to not only Brandon's sobriety, but these stubborn addicts!  By far you guys are my favorite guests on The Dr. Phil Show! 

Keep up the good work! There are LOTS of families who are begging for help to save the life of their mother/father, sister/brother, son/daughter! 

Showing 1-10 of total 48 Comments