Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

Dr. Phil’s guests say their family members are making their lives miserable, and they want the drama to end. Brittany, 19, says her mother, Joan, worships the ground her 25-year-old brother, Bill, walks on and treats her like an orphan. She says that because Bill has always been treated as the favorite child, he's become a “monster,” who calls her names and bullies her. Joan says Brittany is jealous of Bill and needs to stop blaming her family for the flaws in her life. And, hear from Bill, who claims his sister is a liar who puts their parents through hell, and says he believes that “tough love” will encourage Brittany to change. Find out why Dr. Phil is concerned by Bill’s behavior. As accusations fly and emotions boil over, can Dr. Phil break up the bickering long enough to help this family heal? Then, Cliff says his 10-year marriage to Jaisalynn is on the brink of divorce because of a bitter feud between Jaisalynn and his parents, Laura and Richard. He says it’s gotten so bad that he no longer shares a bedroom with his wife and has started drinking more because of the stress. What’s at the root of the bad blood? Can Dr. Phil broker a peace and help save their marriage? If you or someone you know is struggling with family drama, tune in!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: mfishingpar on Feb 15, 2013, 2:14PM - In reply to upsydasy
I agree with all of those statements and I agree this girl is hurting.  I also still believe we pave our own way in life.  We choose the road we take right or wrong society does teach us.  Maybe I was harsh but life is harsh and we have only ourself to blame for the choice WE make

Replied By: aglass12 on May 10, 2012, 10:05AM
I know how this young woman feels in regards to her brother being favored and feeling her parents were mean and nasty to her growing up. I have struggled with my weight my whole life, and growing up I loved school... I had many friends and never had an issue in school. When I got home is when I was teased... my parents would tease me and call me names. Looking back at it now I think most of the reason they did this is to try to push me to lose the weight, but when I was going through it I felt so alone at home. The feeling of parents favoring a child is something else i also know, I kind of felt this way when I was growing up but my husband deals with this more so than I do. His mother favors his brother so badly and doesnt make it a secret, but I'm not sure if she knows what she is doing. My brother in law is lazy, expects people to hand him things, lives with his parents rent free and when he helps around the house he is expected to get paid for it, he lies about everything and cant be trusted, and he is two faced. My mother in law cannot see any of this evidently because she baby's him and gives him whatever he wants. She talks about my brother in law like he is perfect and talks him up all the time, but never talks about my husband. My husband is a responsable, hard working, honest person and he gets no respect or anything from his mother but his  brother who is just a horrible person gets all the credit and talked about like he is the best thing to walk the earth. It upsets me and I think it upsets my husband too, but he wont admit it or do anything about it. He tells me that it wouldnt help or do any good to talk to his mother or brother about this so it would be a waste of time. The point of all this is just to know that many people go through this, and its not a fun thing to deal with but just know your not alone.

Replied By: shirazme56 on May 1, 2012, 11:55AM - In reply to twamley6
It is shameful that so many viewers were more in tune with Brittany's dilemma and pain than her own mother. 
The mother was in denial because she would never admit that she had failed Brittany in some way.

Replied By: mmelissa on Apr 27, 2012, 11:21PM - In reply to upsydasy
Aww, shucks, now you made me cry. Thanks for that response. I had a bad day and it was nice to hear someone, even someone I don't know on a message board- or maybe especially from someone I don't know on a message board- say something nice to me. it's the little things sometimes....

Replied By: stargazer225 on Apr 27, 2012, 10:13AM - In reply to upsydasy
When you're living with self-righteous sociopaths who do not respond to normal human emotion, you're going to look like the crazy one.  Brittany needs to save herself and her child and get away from that toxic situation.

Replied By: twamley6 on Apr 26, 2012, 7:23PM - In reply to matonna
Poor sister!  Billy is disgusting and his mothers infinity for him is cruel!  Favorite doesn' begin to describe the sad dynamics of this situation.  That is a wall of shame not a wall of anything else.  Your other child should never have to ask is she can have her uniform on the wall and still be told no.  Billy is a sociopath, disrespectful and praise GOD doctor Phil is going to get here help.  Living in that home she needs it.  The mother is sick.  I am the mom of four kids and they are all different.  They all don't immulate perfection they immulate individuals who get to be who they are...little people we are blessed with to raise with love unconditionally.  Her daughter was not born fat, evil or broken.  She became that way with the horrific parenting skills her mother has....

Furthermore, as much as she will struggle to get the approval from her "mother and I use that term loosly" she will never get it.  She needs to learn she is amazing and was created in GODs image and she has worth and is beautiful for no other reason than just being born.  With counseling I pray she will stop the cycle and be a great mother despite or inspite of her mother and that evil, rude, disrespectful excuse of a brother Billy.

The mother should be ashamed of herself...her bad behaviors that you say she had is clearly her way of acting out because she is so defeated by the one person who was supposed to love her no matter what.  Every kid has issues and you guide them and love them through it...instead it is a real life Cinderella story!  Girl proove you are all that a bag of backed chips, a diet coke and some strawberries with sugar on top by being everything OPPOSITE they have told you you are going to be.  Don't let them define you and don't become the person they have created through their demeaning and condescending behaviors....Be better than them, for you and your baby...Prove them wrong by finding your true self....loving yourself, loving all your children for who they are as individuals and be an amazing mom by doing everything your mother did not. 

I cannot beleive they are so blinded by their righteous behaviors....Billy YOU NEED HELP AND SO DOES YOUR MOTHER!!!!!!!!!!

Replied By: yuri2012 on Apr 26, 2012, 5:48PM
When I heard that he cried when faced with his parents horrific behavior, I couldn't help but wonder, was he already depressed, and was hit with the reality that his parents were out of control, and he'd have to spend the rest of his life listening to his wife complain about it?

Replied By: matonna on Apr 26, 2012, 8:26AM
Question to Mom . . .  .Would you want your daughter to marry someone who is as conceited, self-righteous and disrepectful to his sister on national television as your son?   Why would he not treat a wife the same way?   It's very sad to be the "picked on" one, whether at home or in school; it's just as sad to be the favorite or the "pet".  He or she learns to be above everyone else, that he/she can do no wrong, that others are at fault for his or her misbehavior . . . ..  .not very good life skill lessons. 

Replied By: bdeb6643 on Apr 26, 2012, 1:44AM
WOW you made such a fool of yourself on national television.  So you have a wall with your high school achievements.  Big whoop.   Dr. Phil pegged you good.  That bit about protecting your mom from being bashed is crap.  Truth is you can not stand anyone getting any attention but you.

Mom keep on laughing.  Truth is you have raised an arrogaant self-centered heartless jerk of a son.  Nice job. I am not sure why your daughter wants anything to do with you.

Replied By: nakedlemur on Apr 25, 2012, 6:54PM
Last month it was a year to the day my older brother dropped dead suddenly of a massive anurysm that burst in his brain. We had not had a realtionship outside of seeing each other in passing over the holidays and what not and these were always pleasant and we often mentioned we should get together more.

I understand you both have feelings about your childhood - I get that - but here's the thing. Parents aren't immortal or godlike. Sometimes they screw up big time. Sometimes they can't help but raise kids the way they were raised. At the end of the day, you are all each other will have at some point in life, if you are lucky. My parents inadvertantly pitted my brother and I against each other and in the end we were left with wishes we had been more like the other - a specific thing my brother had said during young adulthood - the things that came so easy to one, were so difficult to the other.

At the end of the day- I have no one to turn to and say, "Do you remember?". I have always missed him - and now I miss him even more - which I did not think was even possible.

Brittany - if you are reading this - before you totally dismiss it - understand - my brother didn't walk on the water - he walked ABOVE the water - he was literally perfect - perfect grades, perfect at sports, didn't smoke, did nothing wrong - and I do mean nothing - I was the "bad" kid - why bother to compete with perfection? I did drugs, I got pregnant, I did it all.

There was a moment in the clip when Dr. Phill asked your brother if he loved you - and he answered without a moments hesitation - Always. I would kill to have that - Yes, it is and will be hard to let go of all that but enjoy the opportunity to have your brother while you have him - life is way too short.

Showing 1-10 of total 82 Comments