Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

There's a fine line between helping your child realize their dream and pushing them too far. But how do you know when you cross it? Jay is a single dad to 13-year-old aspiring actress and model Rylee. He admits that he is overly critical of her appearance, restricts her diet, demands that she exercise twice a day and limits her time with friends -- but insists it's only to help her realize her dreams. Is he pushing her too far? Pop icon Donny Osmond weighs in on the realities of becoming a child star. Then, it's been nearly five years since George has seen or spoken to his only daughter, Amanda, and he wants to repair their broken relationship. He says since he divorced her mother, she’s shut him out of her life and refuses all communication, even after a serious accident left him in a wheelchair. Amanda claims her father abused her throughout her childhood and never made her feel loved. She says she despises him and when she heard about his accident, thought, “Bad things happen to bad people.” Can Dr. Phil help mend this father-daughter relationship?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: sandras3 on Apr 21, 2012, 8:45PM - In reply to jeninohio
I just wondered where the father(s) of the children are in this family.  There are two young boys and a 2 month old.  No mention was made of co-parenting, whether they live in the same house with both or not.  Dr. Phil only addressed the mother and the situation with the 7-year old boy and I did not hear him mention a father at all.   Did I miss a father in this?

Replied By: shianneerin on Apr 17, 2012, 8:05PM - In reply to staytuned
Completely agree with you. That cake thing drove me up the wall. If my family bought me a wedding cake, I would be oh so grateful because I know how much it costs. She was spoiled and over-entitled. Half of what she said didn't even make sense and wasn't believable. I suspect her father may have went overboard a couple times when disciplining her, however I truly believe Amanda fabricated or exagerated everything that she said. 

It would have been nice to hear one of her brothers' view of the situation. 

Replied By: mauilove on Apr 15, 2012, 2:41PM
I know EXACTLY how Amanda feels. The only difference between us is the fact that I never confronted my father for the years of abuse he put me through, because I knew he would have the same response her father did, and I would never have my feelings validated. It's funny how the abuser is able to 'forget" everything that happened. The abused doesn't forget being beaten, being left in a dark room for hours when they are a little kid, being isolated from friends, being made to feel like nothing, and watching as the abuser makes it look like everything is just fine to the outside world. My father died 3 years ago, and when I heard of his death, the first thing I said was "It's finally over".  Clearly I still have a lot of hurt that I need to work through. I pray that Amanda is able to move on from her father and lead a wonderful life without him. Her father needs to know that nothing will change between them if he does not own up to his mistakes and apologize like he really means it.

Replied By: kryptonette on Apr 13, 2012, 8:27PM - In reply to userbd
About the Rylee segment, userbd wrote: "What's more important here is not that she becomes a model/actress one day but how she views the role of her father in her life. Is he a loving Dad who loves her unconditionally, builds her up with his words, is patient, kind, and makes her feel like a beautiful daughter? What about other character attributes that are just as important? Will she go through her life believing that the way she looks and performs is all she is worth?"

Hear, hear. That point should have been made on the show. So many parents probably need to hear it.

Replied By: kryptonette on Apr 13, 2012, 8:23PM
I wish this episode had skipped the segment on Rylee if it didn't have time to offer sorely needed advice for misdirected stage parents like her dad. Being told by your father that you're fat? That's horrendous and has life-shaping consequences, and Dr. Phil all but brushed that aside. Plus, the dad restricts what his developing child eats, makes her sing songs 20 times and criticizes her acting. Either he's a mighty well-rounded expert (nutritionist, vocal coach, acting teacher), or he needs to be reminded of the harm that can come from an untrained father taking on all these roles--and heaping on a wallup of what borders on emotional abuse to boot.

I wanted to be an actress when I was 9 years old. I am so grateful my parents let me be in church and community plays and otherwise grow up as a normal child. As an adult, when I found how very difficult breaking into this business was, I had skills and education to fall back on, a healthy sense of self to keep my head on straight, and a solid self-conficence not based on looks that fade.

My parents set me up for a fulfilled life--something many fame-seekers miss out on. Fame, fortune and looks aren't all they're cracked up to be. Just look at the personal life of the average famous actor.

Replied By: upsydasy on Apr 13, 2012, 10:33AM - In reply to doomsdaydiva
I know something about living in a dysfunctional family.  I know a little bit about feeling resentment and anger towards my parents AND sibling. However, what I do know most of all is that when I let go of it all, I felt the weight you speak of leave me.  I can’t change them or the past.  All I can do is be happy in my own life and proud of my choices despite them, which to me is the BEST REVENGE of all.  I also got rid of their photographs littering my home out of some sort of masochistic need of mine to remain loyal to my family.  Once they were gone, I stopped feeling their eyes following me around and/or hearing their negativity in my subconscious. 

I just couldn’t’ live that way anymore.

Replied By: doomsdaydiva on Apr 13, 2012, 6:13AM
I think Amanda just wanted the whole world to know how much she hated her dad just so she wouldn't feel so alone. I know how that feels. No, I don't hate my dad, but I've wanted, sometimes desperately, to tell the entire human race on TV all the unfathomably stupid things about it that make me want to scream until my lungs explode, and not have to worry about my personal safety. Being able to do that would be like having a million-pound weight lifted off an ingrown toenail. But I can't go on TV, or even make a video for YouTube or whatever. So I must continue to wallow in hate, anger and frustration towards the world until I get a huge bleeding ulcer. I will name it "Society".

Replied By: pejwat on Apr 12, 2012, 10:46PM - In reply to bdycus
It seems to me this comment is judgmental. No one knows what Amanda has suffered in her childhood. One cannot compare their own experience to one they have not lived themselves. My biological father was verbally and physically abusive. Some people simply aren't meant to be parents. As a mom, I understand this even more, because it is simply impossible to demean my child in any way. I just don't have that kind of heart. My father died several years ago, and I do not miss him to this day. I did not will him to die, but I am releived that I don't have to explain to my child why I don't have a relationship with him. I find it incredibly unempathetic that people beleive you should have a relationship with an abuser simply because as Amanda put...they have donated some sperm. The definition of Father is someone who demonstrates parental care, not abuse.

Replied By: dianepue on Apr 12, 2012, 9:33PM
The segment about Amanda and her father made me think that they both are so much alike that they can't get along. I thought both of them were stubborn, defensive, had self-pity issues, and were right fighters. I did not come away with compassion for either of them in their relationship but I do hope that one day they will see that they both have to lay down the past and change the way they communicate and relate....and that it is possible to forgive and move forward if they choose. I have seen some folks just like these two before and talking at them doesn't seem to work because they are so set on being in the right and they would rather go down swinging than admit it and change.

Replied By: tbreak on Apr 12, 2012, 9:25PM
I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing a segment on Lyme Disease. It has been a long hard battle for my husband. He has been ill for 7 years. Wasn't diagnosed unitl 21/2 years later. Unfortunatley, no doctors here in Canada will  try to help him. He was refused to be seen by 3 infectious disease doctors because he didn't have a positive test in Canada. They won't recognize the positive test he had done in the States.  Imagine that. Who would have thought that doctors can refuse to see patients. What has this world come too. I have no faith in the medical system they have failed so many of us.
I pray evrey day that he will start showing signs of improvement . This disease has effected our family so much.  Thank you once again

Showing 1-10 of total 60 Comments