Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

(Original Air Date: 03/27/12) Jeanne believed she had it all -- a loving husband, two beautiful boys and a nice house in the suburbs -- until the day she learned that her commodities-trader husband, Stephen, had lost his job and secretly picked up a new career: robbing banks. How was his double life revealed? And, with Stephen sentenced to nine years in prison, how did Jeanne pick up the pieces? Now divorced, Jeanne faces her ex-husband in his first interview since being released on parole. Does she harbor any resentment? Bishop T.D. Jakes, author of Let It Go: Forgive So You Can Be Forgiven, offers Jeanne and Stephen insight on the power of forgiveness.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: creed47 on Aug 17, 2012, 3:26PM
I hope you two get back together!  God is love and I see him in both of you!  Thanks for sharing your stories and especially your faith!

Replied By: cinney2007 on Aug 17, 2012, 1:34PM

In this criminals' story, he said he needed to make money and he and his wife were having a hard time financially. Here is an example of the media helping criminals reach sucess. This may have been their plan from the start: write a book and make money. Thanks to the Dr. Phil Show, they got plenty of publicity for their book. All they needed to do was commit a crime, do a little time, then get on the Dr. Phil Show, write a book and here they are; a new career as writers and making money head over heals. They have even manipulated the story in such a way that the crime is for the most part forgotten and not even talked about, and they have turned it into a victim, spouse, divorce, relationship study.

There is not much difference in the crooks on Wall Street and what he did at the banks. He just became a criminal of a more honest type by steeling from a bank and not going behind peoples backs and stealing their money in the under handed way the wall street traders do. Considering  there is not much difference in what he did for a job and what he did as a crime; he stole money from other people. On the job, he was a sneaky yet legal thief, and as a bank robber he stole money in an straight forward basic way.

I have always thought it is wrong for people to have monetary gain from their crimes, but here we go again, someone commits a crime, and they become famous write a book, and there they are, rich and successful for committing a crime, thanks to the hollywood media machine.

I heard the wife say on the program "they were writing the book together". Maybe they planned it from the start. He did enough research to know that if he used a letter and not a gun, the penalty would be less. Basically he got less than a year for each bank, what about the money did he keep it? Is there any fine, does he have to repay the money or pay a fine? Now they go on the Dr. Phil Show and push the human side and the victim role etc., and even bring in a bishop and have all the right words to change the subject of what is really happening, The way the characters changed during the show was unbelievable. Too little talk about what really happened and too much talk about the part that will sell their book!!!!!!!!

Too sad that the American people continue to let the media run them and even push them into buying books that will give criminals easy money from their crimes. It doesn't matter how they manipulate the subject around and add details about kids, and so called ex-wives, they are criminals and they should not be allowed to benefit even more from their crimes. There is nothing wrong with a 2nd chance, and once the criminal has paid for their crime, fine, but is it really fair for them to continue to profit from their illegal activities?

Replied By: aikoo7 on Aug 17, 2012, 1:10PM
Since when is a bishop who builds a church considered and entrepreneur?!!!!  Dr Phil just went way down in me estimation.  The man sold a book which could be considered entrepreneurial.  But Phil said it was due to him building a succesful church.  Huh?!!!!!

Replied By: nasale on Aug 17, 2012, 1:03PM - In reply to forensic_girl
I hear you, He can't do an about face on a dime the way he pretends. He did whatever he thought people wanted to see. In the grand scheme of things, it matters to none of us what we think because he is not our problem. THANK GOD! I wouldn't want to put up with him.  I hope you feel better as time goes by. Maybe this will be his last hurrah and you won't have to deal with this again. Take care... :-)

Replied By: kec132 on Aug 17, 2012, 12:52PM
NYC is financial center for the world - this area is filled with traders and their wives, plural, because many are divorced.

It is a high action, high stress, filled with high spenders, both the traders and their families - throwing money around like it's play money.  When Lehman went down so many of those wives simply could not/would not accept that their high life disappeared.  With the downturn so many  traders and their families couldn't adjust - the husband didn't want to let them down and believe me they didn't want to be let down, and they let the guy know that - the guilt was heaped on him for not being able to support them in the style they had become adjusted to and them for continued spending and their own refusal to grow up  - they didn't want life to change, the money to go away, to have to sell the McMansion or the Park Ave Duplex.  I saw them - friends who couldn't accept that they had to go back to work so they didn't leaving husbands all the worry while they lunched with the girls or went to the spa.  Friend's brother was being forced to move family back to his mother's house in The Bronx - and discovered the wife was still lunching at high-end restaurants. He's broke and she's spending....

I commend Jeanne for standing up the way she did when the end came, she's doing a terrific job and you can tell she's very satisified with herself - a lot more than she probably was when she was living in that bubble where she 'stayed home' and he worked.

I also commend Steven for how far he's come towards growing up.  He took a kids way out of a problem - what was to him at that time was the easy way out.  He seems to also be working hard to become a better man.  I am glad he has the support of his family and friends.

I feel badly for them that they have divorced - they appear to have become very nice grownups and as grownups they would make a very nice couple.

Replied By: agyuker on Aug 17, 2012, 12:40PM
I feel so bad for that guy I have goosebumps all over listening to him.  Living the American dream has a high price and it's always the provider (usually the husband in a marriage) who is responsible to provide. Pay those bills, keep food on the table, keep a roof over the head of his family. It's very hard to hold it together. This guy was clearly looking out for the best interest of them all. But if no one gives you a job and you're a man youre in trouble. Lot of women find themselves broke they find a man to support them, they get into sex trade to provide. That's just as sad.. When you're a man and you come to a breaking point I'm not surprised he just snapped and took the 'easy way' out. 

And she sits there she feels betrayed? I would have never turned my back on my husband for trying to make my lifestyle easy. 

Replied By: austintatious on Aug 13, 2012, 12:34PM - In reply to joannamoneca
Women , even those that are taken care of, should not be this clueless.  Really.

Replied By: austintatious on Aug 13, 2012, 12:24PM
What the dynamics of their marriage was that he couldn't confide the state of their finances to her.  I suspect it's hooked in with ...he took care of me.  You can be taken care of and still be responsible for knowing the family finances.  She came off as a total bubble head clearly not caring to know what was up with their fianances.  Really .. in this day and time I was a little surprised that a wife, even a "taken care of wife" could be so utterly clueless.   I don't condone what he did but I can also sympathize that the pressure must have been intense to rob banks.  I think the silver lining in this is that she got to actually learn what it was like to make a living and be responsibility for knowing the ins and outs of household finances.  I still don't believe that she was so clueless that she didn't suspect how much trouble they were in....when a bank calls because you are behind with mortgage payments that a pretty big red flag. 

Replied By: joannamoneca on Mar 30, 2012, 10:51AM
She is a beautiful woman and this whole experience has made her stronger.  As for him, what he did was wrong in my view and I don't want to excuse that behaviour, however in our capitalist society there is so much pressure on men to bring home lots of money and that is unfortunate.

Replied By: forensic_girl on Mar 28, 2012, 4:42PM - In reply to victimone
victimone:

I am so sorry for you being a victim of his. I hope that you have found healing and support. I think that people like you, such as tellers or cashiers, that are robbed are not often seen as victims or someone that may have lasting effects (especially when there is no physical injury), but the mental and emotional trauma can take longer to heal. I hope you have happiness and peace in your life now!

Showing 1-10 of total 38 Comments